What do you think of the Disney debacle?  Are you on Disney’s or DeSantis side?

• 1 month later...
On 8/18/2022 at 11:45 PM, SpankyMcFarland said:

The lesson is that large corporations should think long and hard before investing in a place like Florida under present management. 

Yaaa! Florida will not let your corporation teach kids to hate the USA and warp your kid's mind concerning their own sex. Corporations should go to California where crime is legal, Sex is for 5 year olds and taxation is monumental.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/25/2022 at 10:24 AM, Luz P. said:

Should corporations weigh in in public policy?   Was the retaliation commensurate with the “offense?”

I'm really gonna try not to make this too long.

I used to live in Central Florida, not too far from the Reedy Creek District. I know it's hard for those of you not here to be able to grasp this, but Disney's little deal with Florida, (made back in the mid Sixties) basically claimed Disney property could set up its own government, separate from the state of Florida. They had their own police force. (I was stopped for speeding on Disney property, and those character-like cops scared the crap out of me.) They decide their own times for liquor sales. And Disney World was able to circumvent ALL Civil Rights Law fair hiring practices, pretty much discriminating against any race they chose because their version of hiring was called "casting." I knew a lot of people who worked there and it was real.

The drug use on that property was off the charts. If you're wondering how those wonderful Disney smiles came into being, you need not wonder. I met several folks who dealt drugs to those employees.

What was probably not reported in the left wing fake news media was the fact that Disney was threatening legal action against the legally elected Governor and Legislature, who had passed the Parental Rights In Education Act.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2022/1557

You can say that a government has no rights to interfere with a private business (to a point, I know, liberals) but Governor DeSantis decided that if this private corporation was going to threaten legal action against the state of Florida, then it would lose its special privileges not afforded any other corporation in Florida.

Did this action hurt Florida tourism?

(I moved out of that crowded hell hole in 2003 so this comes from friends still stuck there.)

Are there fewer tourists in town? Are the roads less crowded? DON'T make me laugh.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 10:45 PM, SpankyMcFarland said:

The lesson is that large corporations should think long and hard before investing in a place like Florida under present management. 

We'd do just fine if no other corporations ever located to Florida ever again. We'd do fine if people would stop moving down here from oppressive blue states. Sadly, they're coming in like cockroaches to an uncovered birthday cake. And we're running out of room .

The present management of Florida has low corporate taxes, ZERO state income taxes, the best economy in the country, the best schools in the country and delightful weather year round. Land and house values are relatively low, compared to third world shee ite holes like California. Florida has a more attractive business climate than any blue state in America.

Yeah, businesses. Think long and hard about it. And don't let Florida's RIGHT TO WORK status factor into your decision, since we all know how much you LOVE oppressive unions and state enforced closed shops.

Frankly, I'd like to see a few sections of the Everglades sold off to an oil refinery company. That would send state revenues into the stratosphere.

On 4/25/2022 at 2:51 PM, Michael Hardner said:

Ok - does Disney enforce its own laws and handle policing on its premises in Florida ?  Serious question.  

Actually, at the time the Reedy Creek District had those special privileges, Disney property enforced its own laws. Speed limits, times of night club closure, sales of alcohol, ALL were separate and independent of the laws of Florida.

On 8/23/2022 at 9:07 AM, Nationalist said:

Yaaa! Florida will not let your corporation teach kids to hate the USA and warp your kid's mind concerning their own sex. Corporations should go to California where crime is legal, Sex is for 5 year olds and taxation is monumental.

That is not why Governor DeSantis took away Disney's special privileges. Disney was not teaching kids to hate anything. And the original Disney was in Anaheim.  Walt decided to build another park because he made a mistake in putting the main gate of Disneyland RIGHT ON THE PROPERTY LINE. That led to at least four miles of tacky tourist traps building on that road and making the road to Disney a ghetto. In Central Florida, (where they secretly bought a little over 39 square miles of land), you have to drive for a few miles on a secluded tree lined nature road to get to any main gates.

Problem was Disney had threatened to bring legal action against the Parental Rights In Education Act.

Imagine in your blue state, if there is a major corporation threatening to sue your state government for giving drivers licenses to illegal aliens and allowing welfare bums to skate without ever looking for a job. Let's say that corporation owned its own property and was exempt from your state's laws. Your governor would likely take away that corporation's special privileges. You would have a problem with that?

On 6/21/2022 at 11:36 PM, Luz P. said:

This is what happens when you push too hard... Hollywood, as usual completely out of touch.   ?

With all the entertainment alternatives, it's amazing that Hollywood is able to put out movies that sell ANY tickets at all.

The homosexual farce "Bros" was a box office bomb. And if Hollywood continues to spend billions on political screeds, it is going to wind up insolvent and broke, regardless of how much George Soros money subsidizes it.

8 minutes ago, reason10 said:

That is not why Governor DeSantis took away Disney's special privileges. Disney was not teaching kids to hate anything. And the original Disney was in Anaheim.  Walt decided to build another park because he made a mistake in putting the main gate of Disneyland RIGHT ON THE PROPERTY LINE. That led to at least four miles of tacky tourist traps building on that road and making the road to Disney a ghetto. In Central Florida, (where they secretly bought a little over 39 square miles of land), you have to drive for a few miles on a secluded tree lined nature road to get to any main gates.

Problem was Disney had threatened to bring legal action against the Parental Rights In Education Act.

Imagine in your blue state, if there is a major corporation threatening to sue your state government for giving drivers licenses to illegal aliens and allowing welfare bums to skate without ever looking for a job. Let's say that corporation owned its own property and was exempt from your state's laws. Your governor would likely take away that corporation's special privileges. You would have a problem with that?

Dude...I was being sarcastic.