Pronouns -- Sometimes I think they are just trolling us...

West

On 4/30/2022 at 9:04 AM, Nationalist said:

No...we never blindly accept anything until we examine and verify. For instance...

So why do you accept in-camera lobbying?  Nothing leaves Canadians more blind to what's happening than a politician or senior civil servant getting together with a lobbyist behind a closed door. 

4 hours ago, eyeball said:

So why do you accept in-camera lobbying?  Nothing leaves Canadians more blind to what's happening than a politician or senior civil servant getting together with a lobbyist behind a closed door. 

Lobbying? You mean bribery dont you?

Every society has it. How would you propose to end it?

2 hours ago, Nationalist said:

Lobbying? You mean bribery dont you?

No, I mean lobbying.

Every society has it. How would you propose to end it?

I wouldn't end lobbying, I'd simply make the practice subject to changes and amendments to the existing Lobbying Act; primarily a principle that states the public has a right responsibility to attend the lobbying of public officials when discussing issues in the public's domain.

9 hours ago, eyeball said:

No, I mean lobbying.

I wouldn't end lobbying, I'd simply make the practice subject to changes and amendments to the existing Lobbying Act; primarily a principle that states the public has a right responsibility to attend the lobbying of public officials when discussing issues in the public's domain.

You'll never remove corruption from politics. There's always someone for sale.

On 5/2/2022 at 5:24 AM, Nationalist said:

You'll never remove corruption from politics. There's always someone for sale.

You say that like we should should just cave to it and not try.  Perhaps we should embrace it, like fossil fuel, someone's going to produse it it so it might as well be us.  

On 5/1/2022 at 10:39 PM, eyeball said:

No, I mean lobbying.

That’s completely unworkable.  So you want the public invited to say a dinner between two people at a restaurant?  Or somebody’s living room?  Or at a bar?  Or hockey game?  Lobbying is just talking.  You can’t ban talking or somebody advocating on behalf of their industry.  Now, if money or goods changed hands, that would be illegal.  Those laws already exist.  The real solution is to make the government’s involvement, and impact on various industries much less significant.

14 minutes ago, Shady said:

Lobbying is just talking.  You can’t ban talking or somebody advocating on behalf of their industry.

I've never ever said anything about banning talking.

I'm simply advocating that we allow the public to listen. You've never acknowledged that. Not once, not ever.

21 hours ago, eyeball said:

You say that like we should should just cave to it and not try.  Perhaps we should embrace it, like fossil fuel, someone's going to produse it it so it might as well be us.  

Its nothing like fossil fuels. 

Once an acceptable and fully functional replacement is found, the debate will end.

15 hours ago, eyeball said:

I've never ever said anything about banning talking.

I'm simply advocating that we allow the public to listen. You've never acknowledged that. Not once, not ever.

But it’s unworkable.  How do you propose the public listens in on conversations at bars, restaurants, sporting events etc?  

40 minutes ago, Shady said:

But it’s unworkable.  How do you propose the public listens in on conversations at bars, restaurants, sporting events etc?  

How do you know it's unworkable? No one has even tried. You just lack the will.

In any case given the apparent ubiquity of corruption coupled with the unwillingness of society to really for much about it I figure we should embrace it and let it take care of #1.

Where's the downside?

1 hour ago, Nationalist said:

Its nothing like fossil fuels. 

Once an acceptable and fully functional replacement is found, the debate will end.

I get the sense that a replacement for corruption would destroy our economy even faster than abandoning fossil fuels.

24 minutes ago, eyeball said:

How do you know it's unworkable? No one has even tried. You just lack the will.

In any case given the apparent ubiquity of corruption coupled with the unwillingness of society to really for much about it I figure we should embrace it and let it take care of #1.

Where's the downside?

You haven’t proposed how to enact any of this.  Once again, how do you propose having the public listen in on conversations that take place in restaurants, bars, sporting events, coffee shops etc?  Please provide details.  

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Shady said:

You haven’t proposed how to enact any of this.

Sure I have, many many times.

Once again, how do you propose having the public listen in on conversations that take place in restaurants, bars, sporting events, coffee shops etc?  Please provide details.

No, you'll just keep pretending listening is an attack on free speech without detailing how.

In the meantime I've started yet another thread on the topic of corruption and our persistent 'failure' to do anything about it.

16 hours ago, Nationalist said:

Interesting...

When you consider how much of our economic growth has been based on increasing real estate values and how much those are potentially being inflated as a result of snow washing, getting serious about corruption could have a pretty devastating effect.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, eyeball said:

When you consider how much of our economic growth has been based on increasing real estate values and how much those are potentially being inflated as a result of snow washing, getting serious about corruption could have a pretty devastating effect.

It could and should that happen, I stand to lose a small fortune. But what's best for my real estate position is not necessarily what's best for this nation.

2 hours ago, Nationalist said:

It could and should that happen, I stand to lose a small fortune. But what's best for my real estate position is not necessarily what's best for this nation.

This clashes directly with what I've been told for years by conservatives - that the best way forward for a nation is if everyone takes care of number 1 first.

• 1 month later...