Turning my back on Tim Hortons

cougar

1 hour ago, Boges said:

I blame NIMBYs who refuse to allow high-density and medium density-housing housing nearby. 

You can't legislate culture? 

I'm more at home in parts of urban Toronto than in rural Ontario full of white people. 

Why should they? They moved there for a reason and you would destroy that for them?

You can legislate conditions for migration and citizenship. You can teach culture and assimilation.

So live in downtown.

1 hour ago, dialamah said:

This is what immigrants do:  they come to Canada, become Canadians and raise more Canadians.  Children of immigrant families become indistinguishable from their non-immigrant peers in terms of their cultural attitudes and beliefs - that is, they become integrated.  If they're white, you'd never guess their parents/grandparents were from a different country.   This is what happened in your family, just as it happens in virtually every immigrant's family.

My family worked.!

34 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

My family worked.!

As do immigrants; they aren't even eligible for social programs for something like two  after arrival.

Refugees get support, but they are a different class.  And most of them are working after five years.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

1. "The government says refugees are supposed to become self-supporting within a year. But we have already a huge underclass of unemployed and unemployable people on welfare and desperately needing support systems that work. They need education and skills training sufficient for self-reliance. While many in the underclass of Canada’s disposable people are Aboriginals, a number of others burdensome to taxpayers are third-generation welfare recipients.

2. It’s inconceivable that refugees will be paying more in taxes within a year than they receive in benefits. If working at all, they’ll take jobs from native-born Canadians who need work. Heads we lose, tails those in need don’t win. Either way, the cost to taxpayers goes on forever."

2. The RCMP uniform is Canadiana. Changing that was foolish.

3. 4. No...I'm saying...and said...that if these "refugees" wanna be Canadian, they can go home and come back LEGALLY.

4. "Now...were all these drains on our society to be sent packing with instructions on how to LEGALLY migrate here, I'd find that completely acceptable. "

5. The Boat People. The first wave were educated and self-sufficient. The second wave were taken care of by NGOs and private citizens.

6. The Hungarians were fleeing Soviet Russian occupation.

7. The refugees were brought here and give a cash start...not endless welfare.  It has been going on for a long time...yet with differences. NGOs and LIMITED welfare.

8. You and your sacred institution can claim anything they like. The truth of the matter however...is obviously a very different story.

1. None of what you are saying addresses your conflating of immigrants and refugees as some new problem.  Canada took in over 35,000 Hungarians in the 1950s after Russia invaded.  All the social problems you describe existed then and now and have no relevance.

2. Who says they have to get to that level with a year ?  They have to be self-sufficient that is all.  They also don't "take" jobs.  Unemployment is low and anyway you are using a fixed pie economic fallacy argument if you care.

3. 4. The Refugee system is part of our law and therefore legal.

5.  Welfare is endless that's the nature of the program.  You are using unsupported claims and appeals to prejudice to justify your position.  Just garbage argument.  The first wave (?) of Vietnamese were educated ? 

6. Hungarians were fleeing Soviet occupation... and ?  You don't think Somalis, Afghanis and others fleeing actual murderous genocide is worse ? WTF

7. Welfare doesn't end - that is the nature of the program.   If you can show that refugees stay on welfare generation after generation like some Canadians I would look at that evidence.a

8. Provide a cite once in awhile would you ?  

39 minutes ago, dialamah said:

As do immigrants; they aren't even eligible for social programs for something like two  after arrival.

Refugees get support, but they are a different class.  And most of them are working after five years.

Oh? Only 5 years of welfare? Bye...

32 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. None of what you are saying addresses your conflating of immigrants and refugees as some new problem.  Canada took in over 35,000 Hungarians in the 1950s after Russia invaded.  All the social problems you describe existed then and now and have no relevance.

2. Who says they have to get to that level with a year ?  They have to be self-sufficient that is all.  They also don't "take" jobs.  Unemployment is low and anyway you are using a fixed pie economic fallacy argument if you care.

3. 4. The Refugee system is part of our law and therefore legal.

5.  Welfare is endless that's the nature of the program.  You are using unsupported claims and appeals to prejudice to justify your position.  Just garbage argument.  The first wave (?) of Vietnamese were educated ? 

6. Hungarians were fleeing Soviet occupation... and ?  You don't think Somalis, Afghanis and others fleeing actual murderous genocide is worse ? WTF

7. Welfare doesn't end - that is the nature of the program.   If you can show that refugees stay on welfare generation after generation like some Canadians I would look at that evidence.a

8. Provide a cite once in awhile would you ?  

No relevance...how very convenient.

I know you like to coddle anyone your holy institutions tell you to. But yes...TAKE jobs from Canadians.

The refugee program is not there to take in anyone who doesn't like their current situation. Pixie-Dust has been abusing it.

Not prejudice at all. But hey...nice race-card play there. If you don't know the history of the Vietnamese...don't bring them up.

You may like paying for these people, but I and millions don't. This is abusive and must be brought to an end.

8 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

1. I know you like to coddle anyone your holy institutions tell you to. But yes...TAKE jobs from Canadians.

2. The refugee program is not there to take in anyone who doesn't like their current situation. Pixie-Dust has been abusing it.

3. Not prejudice at all. But hey...nice race-card play there. If you don't know the history of the Vietnamese...don't bring them up.

4. You may like paying for these people, but I and millions don't. This is abusive and must be brought to an end.

1. The unemployment rate is low.  And more people mean more demand, meaning more jobs.

2. No cites as usual.  Name calling, yawn.

3. Didn't provide cite when asked... Zzzzzzz...

4. No evidence...

You have proven to be a shitty discussion partner, and I have learned nothing from your off the cuff opinions. Back to the ignore list..

2 hours ago, Nationalist said:

Why should they? They moved there for a reason and you would destroy that for them?

Because real estate is becoming unaffordable to a whole generation. We need more supply and re-developing huge swaths of farmland and forests are not the answer. 

You can legislate conditions for migration and citizenship. You can teach culture and assimilation.

A lot of immigrations conditions are set before letting someone in the country. You shouldn't be teaching new comers what culture is correct. People born here can't agree on that. 

So live in downtown.

The point I'm making is that culture differs across the country. There is no objective standard of what is Canadian. 

43 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. The unemployment rate is low.  And more people mean more demand, meaning more jobs.

2. No cites as usual.  Name calling, yawn.

3. Didn't provide cite when asked... Zzzzzzz...

4. No evidence...

You have proven to be a shitty discussion partner, and I have learned nothing from your off the cuff opinions. Back to the ignore list..

Fine...go play with Moonbox. The 2 of you are Libbie shills anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boges said:

Because real estate is becoming unaffordable to a whole generation. We need more supply and re-developing huge swaths of farmland and forests are not the answer. 

A lot of immigrations conditions are set before letting someone in the country. You shouldn't be teaching new comers what culture is correct. People born here can't agree on that. 

The point I'm making is that culture differs across the country. There is no objective standard of what is Canadian. 

Turning the suburbs into crowded towers sounds just marvie. And I'm sure the people who live there now for the "get-away" from the crowding and congestion...won't mind a bit.

People born here all knew what it was to be Canadian...until the Libbies decided it all means nothing. Its not which culture is "correct", its what culture is Canadian. That includes patriotism. Which is why I think the national anthem should be heard and sung more often by children in schools, why our flag should be the only flag in every classroom, etc.

Aside from a couple pockets here and there (Toronto, Vancouver, maybe Montreal) Canadians are all the same in my experience. When you question what it is to be a Canuck...I'd suggest you are working to erode Canadiana. That's...objectionable.

16 hours ago, Nationalist said:

"But...but...but...they're REFUGEES!"

Ya know what...Fuck the Gawd Damn "REFUGEES"! Fuck them. Fuck their free housing. Fuck their attitudes. Fuck 'em all. This is Canada. We built a very affluent nation and now Pixie-Dust and his doo-wop singers are diluting it by bringing in people who have FAILED at making an affluent nation. Why the hell should Canada want a flood of failures?

Refugees  are a big part of Canada's program to further increase its population and supposedly grow economy through increased stripping of natural resources and land sales.  With the refugees they can get people who are just happy to be alive and will never turn against the country for not providing them the opportunities they expected.

Not so much with the skilled class immigrants where for decades, the system has been demonstrably flawed, putting the skilled people into low paying jobs, leaving them largely disappointed.   Many ended up going back.

Then we have the temporary , seasonal workers scams

Then we have the international students who are brought in with the idea that they will marry into Canadian families and stay.  Once they get used to the country , many stay.

There are immigration lawyers traveling across the world to recruit immigrants.  There are sophisticated university programs to recruit international students.

Then there is the business class immigration - you have the money to invest, Canada wants you.

Canada is just using every opportunity out there to bring more bodies into the country - every international conflict, world humanitarian or natural disaster.  Everything possible. 

I imagine, when it comes to refugees, many come with no proper documents either.  They may well be Taliban freedom fighters, but economy first.

11 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

You have to let us know who is NOT on your ignore list.  I have a feeling you are now talking to yourself only.?

Mike, when I lived in Toronto I had no clue what was happening in the bloody country - I only had a gut feeling something was wrong.

It took me a lot of traveling through places that I know, now 20 years later are not the same, to get to the wilderness frontier and figure out in which direction this so called "country" is going.

4 hours ago, cougar said:

Refugees  are a big part of Canada's program to further increase its population and supposedly grow economy through increased stripping of natural resources and land sales.  With the refugees they can get people who are just happy to be alive and will never turn against the country for not providing them the opportunities they expected.

Not so much with the skilled class immigrants where for decades, the system has been demonstrably flawed, putting the skilled people into low paying jobs, leaving them largely disappointed.   Many ended up going back.

Then we have the temporary , seasonal workers scams

Then we have the international students who are brought in with the idea that they will marry into Canadian families and stay.  Once they get used to the country , many stay.

There are immigration lawyers traveling across the world to recruit immigrants.  There are sophisticated university programs to recruit international students.

Then there is the business class immigration - you have the money to invest, Canada wants you.

Canada is just using every opportunity out there to bring more bodies into the country - every international conflict, world humanitarian or natural disaster.  Everything possible. 

I imagine, when it comes to refugees, many come with no proper documents either.  They may well be Taliban freedom fighters, but economy first.

Why would Canada need more people?  We don't. 

14 hours ago, Nationalist said:

Turning the suburbs into crowded towers sounds just marvie. And I'm sure the people who live there now for the "get-away" from the crowding and congestion...won't mind a bit.

If they don't like it they can sell their homes at a healthy profit and move to rural areas. Sticking to single family homes as a reasonable housing option for a growing population is precisely why real estate is so expensive. 

Aside from a couple pockets here and there (Toronto, Vancouver, maybe Montreal) Canadians are all the same in my experience. When you question what it is to be a Canuck...I'd suggest you are working to erode Canadiana. That's...objectionable.

That's Bullshit. You can't even define what it is to be Canadian. Something pretty solidly Canadiana has always been Tim Hortons. . . until brown people started serving the coffee it appears. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Boges said:

If they don't like it they can sell their homes at a healthy profit and move to rural areas. Sticking to single family homes as a reasonable housing option for a growing population is precisely why real estate is so expensive. 

That's Bullshit. You can't even define what it is to be Canadian. Something pretty solidly Canadiana has always been Tim Hortons. . . until brown people started serving the coffee it appears. 

Sell their homes and leave?

LOL...you simply hate Canada...don't you. You don't think Canada has a culture. You don't think Canadians should be able to own houses. You "assume" skin colour means something to anyone other than Libbie racists. Do you have flag burning parties too?

This is a HUGE country. If we must take in these "refugees", THEY should be sent to populate rural areas. There's lots of work and housing is less expensive. In fact, it would likely be much more effective to build them a pre-fab home in rural Canada and give them jobs. They can start off as most Canadians...with a mortgage and a job.

Edited by Nationalist

Sell their homes and leave?

If they simply can't fathom that the community they moved to needs to intelligently grow. OR Real Estate will continue to be affordable for future generations. 

This is the main reason why past generations could generate so much wealth, relatively cheap Real Estate. 

LOL...you simply hate Canada...don't you. You don't think Canada has a culture. You don't think Canadians should be able to own houses. You "assume" skin colour means something to anyone other than Libbie racists. Do you have flag burning parties too?

You've yet to define "Canadian Culture". Like in the US and UK, our culture is an amalgamation of many cultures. 

How would you solve the housing problem? 

This is a HUGE country. If we must take in these "refugees", THEY should be sent to populate rural areas. There's lots of work and housing is less expensive. In fact, it would likely be much more effective to build them a pre-fab home in rural Canada and give them jobs. They can start off as most Canadians...with a mortgage and a job.

You're acting like Refugees are just given million dollar homes once they arrive. That's not how it works. 

On 3/30/2022 at 4:44 PM, cougar said:

Double-double....double double......triple-triple.......bagle with cream cheese please......    farmers wrap with potato wedgies .....double double again!

I've been going around the drive thrU, waiting in the long line ups of pickups in front, breathing their exhaust fumes, getting service from people from another world and finally getting slowly poisoned by the drinks and food.   

Why doing it?

I am no hockey fan

I do not hold any buy-Canadian values, as nearly nothing is made in Canada or served by people born in Canada

I drink my XL DD  at lunchtime and then I cannot fall asleep at midnight, 12 hours later!

And every time I drive around I shed $12 or more.

What's the point, especially when TH is as close as home.  So I stopped going there completely, just like that.  Since January I have bought just 1 coffee, only to remind myself why I should not go back there ever again.

But while I am at it, I stopped going to A&W and other similar places too.

I just don't meet people I like, don't like the food, or how little it is and how much I pay.   I am done with all of them.

I live in Saskatchewan and Tim Hortons only came here in the mid to late 1990s. They arrived just in time to celebrate some '50th' anniversary for ALL of Canada as though they've been here all along. Such Eastern Canadian bias suffices to make me not like this company. Their coffee is NOT as good quality and, any accolades regarding paying for 'ethical' sources of coffee seems more of a justification to prop up their charge to the customer. 

While I also understand things like smoking should be discouraged, that company also lead the campaign to promote an anti-smoking hatred of others, something that seemed to me to go against the correlation that most smokers have with drinking coffee. 

....and, finally, they brought larger prices for donuts with smaller sizes and managed to encourage all others to do the same. I can still remember buying apple fritters that were huge here in Saskatoon before they came. Tim Hortons introduced those cupcakes that have a cup-size of about an inch with the top part seeming to be normal. 

I know some who buy daily there out of some belief in it as 'supporting Canadian business'. But that was always expected prior to any Covid crisis. 

I agree to also NOT supporting places like A&W who boasts how they make their burgers from Canadian cattle that eat grass. But what is that in contrast to? I never thought cows ate beef! And IF they ate something other than plain grasses, like perhaps, corn (?), wouldn't that just mean they are admitting to feeding 'our' cows with the lowest possible quality of grass? 

Eat in. Save your money. Yes, it may affect the success of restaurant businesses. But those companies have always been the most cost cutting with respect to employee wages and other means of exploitation.  

Edited by Scott Mayers
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Scott Mayers said:

Eat in. Save your money. Yes, it may affect the success of restaurant businesses. But those companies have always been the most cost cutting with respect to employee wages and other means of exploitation.  

I have to admit, there were times when both TH and A&W were useful to me.

About 15 years ago I would go ice fishing with friends on lakes near Kamloops, BC.   We sometimes caught a few fish, sometimes nothing but we always froze our butts off on the ice.

It was our tradition to stop off at Tim Hortons on the way back and order soup which would come with buns and packs of butter.  I would normally take the French Onion soup, which I know many people do not like; sometimes the Chicken soup or the meat balls.    It would be nice having it and having a chat at the end of the day while warming up.   Then I moved to my new town and there was no more French onion soup and buns, so that was it.

A&W I used in a similar fashion, this time to have breakfast on my own early before I go winter fishing for steelhead.

But COVID came along and they wouldn't let me in last winter.  This winter the fishery was closed, and I am still probably unable to sit inside.

Times change, everything changes.....I look in the mirror and I look different too.

Edited by cougar

On 3/30/2022 at 6:44 PM, cougar said:

Double-double....double double......triple-triple.......bagle with cream cheese please......    farmers wrap with potato wedgies .....double double again!

I've been going around the drive thrU, waiting in the long line ups of pickups in front, breathing their exhaust fumes, getting service from people from another world and finally getting slowly poisoned by the drinks and food.   

Why doing it?

The farmer's wrap already comes with a hash brown, so why order potato wedges? It's like a double order. No wonder you're getting fat and paying so much, you don't know what you're doing.

On 3/31/2022 at 12:43 PM, Boges said:

That should cost no more than $9, with a Combo donut or potato wedges.

Boges on the other hand has the menu memorized, including prices.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

The farmer's wrap already comes with a hash brown, so why order potato wedges?

You have an option of making a combo with the wedges.  Yes, if they do not have wedges they want to give me a hash brown instead which I refuse. Not that the wedges are any better - sometimes they are dry and hard; sometimes I do not like the smell of them, let alone the taste.  They tell me they do not fry them, when I asked if they were reusing the oil too many times. 

It doesn't matter any more; I do not go there.

Their roll up the rim game was a disappointment too after it all went electronic.  How stupid can that be?   Where is the thrill of me physically rolling up the rim to see the "play again"  line?

Edited by cougar