Is Russiophobia one of Trudeau's "Acceptable Views"?

I can't help but notice the rise of Russiophobia in this country. From the Russian theater being vandalized in Vancouver, to sports leagues refusing to draft Russian born players to stories like this one

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/vancouver-recital-society-cancels-performance-by-genius-russian-pianist?_ga=2.162885119.258220157.1646946529-638476670.1646946529&_gl=1*jsmc1m*_ga*NjM4NDc2NjcwLjE2NDY5NDY1Mjk.*_ga_9H6VPHFHKG*MTY0Njk0NjUyOS4xLjEuMTY0Njk0NzE3NS4w

where artists are being cancelled due to their ethnicity. To Facebook temporarily allowing hate speech toward Russians. 

I can't help but wonder if Russiophobia is one of those "acceptable views" that Trudeau was talking about

Edited by West
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Boges said:

Is this what the Putin bots are on about now? 

Russiaphobia? 

Russia is a pariah state now. They wanted to diminish the unity of the West and their little invasion has done the exact opposite. 

Yes that Vladimir is a clever one using classical music to assert his dominance

• Like 3

Russiophobia is as a direct result of murderous actions by Russian governments and Russian armies over the past many years and centuries and is very legitimate and has nothing to d with Trudeau. The whole world criticizing these murderous actions.

I have to write a book to even summarize murderous actions by various Russian governments but I only summarized the most recent,

Colonizing half the Europe for over half a century sponsoring the most oppressive governments in Eastern Europe

Occupation of Afghanistan and killing of many civilians there even the use of toy bombs to specifically target and kill children.

Killing of civilians in Chechnya and Georgia by Putin regime including the use of cluster bombs

Invasion of Ukraine and indiscriminate bombing and killing of civilians.

Their history is full of murders and killers killing even their own people who dared to oppose like Stalin did with his opponents. Russian army commits many rapes against defenseless civilians every time they occupy a territory.

Edited by CITIZEN_2015
  • Like 1

But to speak to the OP. 

Hate for Putin's Admin should not be conflated with hate for Russians. 

Putin will do more to Damage Russia's reputation than anyone in the West. 

Scores of Western Businesses will now refuse to do business in Russia because it's better business to oppose Russia than do business with them. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

Russiophobia is as a direct result of murderous actions by Russian governments and Russian armies over the past many years and centuries and is very legitimate and has nothing to d with Trudeau. The whole world criticizing these murderous actions.

I have to write a book to even summarize murderous actions by various Russian governments but I only summarized the most recent,

Colonizing half the Europe for over half a century sponsoring the most oppressive governments in Eastern Europe

Occupation of Afghanistan and killing of many civilians there even the use of toy bombs to specifically target and kill children.

Killing of civilians in Chechnya and Georgia by Putin regime including the use of cluster bombs

You pro Muslim ban?

No, but I would support a business that refuses to do business with someone who supports Islamic Terrorism. 

A religion and a nationality are two very different things BTW. 

Well that would be illegal to actively support terrorism and would agree with you in that case but doesn't seem to be the case here. They are just banning all Russians because they don't like their leader. 

Of course. But I think we can all agree that not every Muslim agrees with the terror attacks. Point is choosing a group and attributing characteristics to them based on the actions of a few. 

Just now, West said:

Of course. But I think we can all agree that not every Muslim agrees with the terror attacks. Point is choosing a group and attributing characteristics to them based on the actions of a few. 

As I said, if you're targeting specific Russians, especially ones that live here, it's wrong. 

That being said. A private business can certainly refuse to do business with someone if they believe they support Putin's murderous regime, just the same as they can refuse to do business with someone with Neo-Nazi or Racist views. 

As I said, if you're targeting specific Russians, especially ones that live here, it's wrong. 

That being said. A private business can certainly refuse to do business with someone if they believe they support Putin's murderous regime, just the same as they can refuse to do business with someone with Neo-Nazi or Racist views. 

Should a business refuse to do business with Trudeau supporters or does that erode the legitimacy of the business institution?

3 minutes ago, West said:

Should a business refuse to do business with Trudeau supporters or does that erode the legitimacy of the business institution?

That's a decision they'd have to make, I'm sure banning 30-40% of the Country is shitty business model. 

Also opinion is different that a Religion or Racial Group. 

This is what the courts are for, I suppose. 

10 minutes ago, Boges said:

That's a decision they'd have to make, I'm sure banning 30-40% of the Country is shitty business model. 

Also opinion is different that a Religion or Racial Group. 

This is what the courts are for, I suppose. 

I hear what you are saying. 

My view is that unless that individual is posing a significant safety risk, then it's probably best to serve them, let them perform, etc. 

We've become incredibly soft as a society where the very minot of disagreements lands you in the Nazi camp and should be cancelled from society. 

In this case it's important to distinguish who may be an actual threat (for example probably not the best to allow known Russian soldiers onto Canadian soldiers) vs the average Joe who just happens to share the same birth place as a guy you despise.

3 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

And yet people defend them on here.  I don't feel moral revulsion often, but this is one of those times.

I think the reflective motives and repetitive talking points tell you something. 

It's still a good exercise to play narrative hockey against them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boges said:

Is this what the Putin bots are on about now? 

Russiaphobia? 

Russia is a pariah state now. They wanted to diminish the unity of the West and their little invasion has done the exact opposite. 

So its not OK to marginalize Muslims during the Afghan war but OK to punish ethnic Russians here for Putin.  Why are you such a racist?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

Their history is full of murders and killers killing even their own people who dared to oppose like Stalin did with his opponents. Russian army commits many rapes against defenseless civilians every time they occupy a territory.

Soooo...by that logic it was Ok that we put Japanese into internment camps?

47 minutes ago, Faramir said:

Soooo...by that logic it was Ok that we put Japanese into internment camps?

Don't compare actions taken 100 years ago with actions taken less than 100 seconds ago. That was the culture then. In 21st century it is very evil to kill innocent defenseless women and children.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

Don't compare actions taken 100 years ago with actions taken less than 100 seconds ago. That was the culture then. In 21st century it is very evil to kill innocent defenseless women and children.

So you think its OK to punish ethnic Russians for Putins aggression.  Did it ever occur to you they came here to escape Putin's Russia.

58 minutes ago, Faramir said:

So its not OK to marginalize Muslims during the Afghan war but OK to punish ethnic Russians here for Putin.  Why are you such a racist?

The Afghans didn't invade anyone. The Taliban harboured Al Qaeda and refused to turn them over. 

AND Islam is not a nationality. 

18 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

But it's okay to starve people out for sharing the same passport as Vladamir Putin?