Conservative Leadership September 10th

21 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

So, unless I hear my vote to the polls, assuming the polling is valid, I am wasting my vote?  

This is just a bizarre interpretation of the democratic process in Canada.  There are winners and there are losers.  The fact that your “side” lost doesn’t make it a waste.  That’s nihilism. 

Bizzare? As they say, to the victor goes the spoils.

Didn't say it was a waste, just not a benefit.

55 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

So when you voted for Conservatives who lost, it was wasted?

You have got to be kidding right? the election was pretty close between liberals/ conservatives, no one in Canada was expecting the Green party to win anything...  and if they did what do you think they could have done with a few seats in the house... Have they created any bills that have become law?  It is your vote burn it if you like...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

I am surprised you are surprised at this

Your claim changed from “your riding gets zero”, which is what I was disputing, to “your riding might get less”, which is not surprising to me at all. 

And now you’re claiming that you were saying the same thing all along?  Clearly, you changed your claim. 

27 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

You have got to be kidding right? the election was pretty close between liberals/ conservatives, no one in Canada was expecting the Green party to win anything...  and if they did what do you think they could have done with a few seats in the house... Have they created any bills that have become law?  It is your vote burn it if you like...

So, if I don’t want the Libs to win, I should only vote for the Cons?  

What if I don’t like 2-party systems?

2 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

You think that currently only Liberal ridings receive federal government investment?

f I show that this isn’t the case, will you change your view?

What exactly has the Green Party of Canada done for you or your riding?

What exactly have you done to rid our country of its least popular federal government in its history?

By all means, exercise your right to vote. Just be aware that your vote means nothing.  A throw-away vote.

16 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

What exactly has the Green Party of Canada done for you or your riding?

Raised awareness of environmental issues. 

17 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

What exactly have you done to rid our country of its least popular federal government in its history?

Hyperbole is the worst form of argument ever created in the history of humankind.  

18 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

By all means, exercise your right to vote. Just be aware that your vote means nothing.  A throw-away vote.

By your definition, if I vote Conservative and they lose, then it’s a wasted vote.  Seems like a self-defeating argument.

48 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Your claim changed from “your riding gets zero”, which is what I was disputing, to “your riding might get less”, which is not surprising to me at all. 

And now you’re claiming that you were saying the same thing all along?  Clearly, you changed your claim. 

OK,  you caught me with words but you clearly missed the point. 

But hey, it's your vote to do with as you wish.

Edited by ExFlyer

Just now, Nefarious Banana said:

A direct question to you,  you chose not to answer . . . . . oh well.

As Kermit the Frog croons in his signature tune . . . . "It's not easy being green."

Oh, I’m not Green.  Didn’t I just explain that I didn’t vote Green in the previous election?  And that I don’t vote on party affiliations?  I have none.  I am that “mushy middle”. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Well I’m for free markets and free flow of capital.  The current government of Canada is intent on politicizing monetary policy and using the police and regulatory bodies to get to people’s finances.  I don’t care if that makes me a conspiracy theory freak.  I’m still disgusted by our government’s unconstitutional overreach and I support any politician who will reduce the power and overreach of this creepy federal government.  

I think it's fair to question the Trudeau Liberals' overreach (especially with the Emergencies Act and how that played out with the truckers).  What you're saying about politicized monetary policy, however, is exactly what I'm talking about with Pierre and his "platform".  You don't actually know what monetary policy is (and that's fine - 90% of people don't even have a basic understanding), but people talk about it a lot and you know it's a powerful tool.  The mechanics of it all are a mystery to you, but you know that it's DOING THINGS, that Trudeau-man is BAD, and it's part of his PLAN.  

Pierre understands the central bank.  He doesn't believe what he's saying about it.  He just knows that you're vaguely mad about all sorts of things you don't really understand and he'll channel that if he can.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Moonbox said:

I think it's fair to question the Trudeau Liberals' overreach (especially with the Emergencies Act and how that played out with the truckers).  What you're saying about politicized monetary policy, however, is exactly what I'm talking about with Pierre and his "platform".  You don't actually know what monetary policy is (and that's fine - 90% of people don't even have a basic understanding), but people talk about it a lot and you know it's a powerful tool.  The mechanics of it all are a mystery to you, but you know that it's DOING THINGS, that Trudeau-man is BAD, and it's part of his PLAN.  

Pierre understands the central bank.  He doesn't believe what he's saying about it.  He just knows that you're vaguely mad about all sorts of things you don't really understand and he'll channel that if he can.   

I probably know a lot more than you about monetary policy. The entire banking and finance sector is built on the difference between the interest rate that they charge consumers versus what they pay the central bank.  Essentially low interest rates, at or below inflation, pump money into the economy.  If there’s too much liquidity than inflation can get too high and interest rates must rise.  The fact that production was stalled and supply chains broke down throughout the pandemic has meant that too many dollars are chasing too few goods.  Demand outpaced supply.

There are many factors for central banks to consider, but the big moral hazard that took place is excessive government spending combined with Covid restrictions and mandates combined with lenient monetary policy.  The result is high inflation.  Now, because of irresponsible fiscal and monetary policies, the central bank is slamming on the breaks.  People are only beginning to feel the results.  Soon their savings will dry up due to the high cost of living. Most people are getting poorer as the cost of goods and services outpaces wage increases by a wide margin.  If your wages rise 1-2 % and inflation rises 8-9 %, people just got 6-8 % poorer.   It’s actually worse than that because most people carry high debt, especially mortgages.   If their variable mortgage payments essentially double (fixed will also rise sharply upon renewal), then you can see what’s waiting for millions of people.

If Canada and the entire western world had remained opened like Florida, so that government didn’t have to spend so much on Covid relief like the CERB, and if central banks warned governments earlier about the inflationary risks and tightened sooner, we wouldn’t be in this mess.  I understand that some of this inflation was likely inevitable, but certainly not all of it.  I just hope that the hardships aren’t too big, because governments and central banks have exhausted many resources already.

This is also why we have good reasons to worry about what the fix might be if there is an economic collapse.  There are many climate and health zealots looking forward to an opportunity to assert greater controls over our economy and way of life.   That’s why we have to be circumspect about the WEF and other unaccountable top-down central planning.

The whole Breton Woods system is a concoction.  Our currencies are no longer tied to gold and stability of exchange rates can only be propped up so far through currency swaps.  If a country runs afoul of the IMF, like a Venezuela or Zimbabwe, look out.

We have to be critical of the global consensus on the directions countries are pushed to take. We have good reasons to worry because we have seen how our society and businesses can literally be locked down by central planners.  I don’t trust them.  I don’t think the Canadian government is even in charge of its house anymore because naive left-leaning governments have foolishly traded sovereignty for global initiatives.   We have mindlessly accepted the policies that have eroded constitutional freedoms, damaged people socially and emotionally, and are now putting the screws to people through the resulting high inflation and drastic monetary tightening.

Edited by Zeitgeist

Just another poll

The Poilievre divide: Ontario MP preferred leader for Conservatives but not Canadians

"The poll suggests Charest is considered the best option for the Conservative leader's job by 22 per cent of all Canadians, while Poilievre is supported by 16 per cent."

"However, more than one in four people polled said a Poilievre victory would make them less likely to vote Conservative, compared with one in five who said that about Charest."

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/the-poilievre-divide-ontario-mp-preferred-leader-for-conservatives-but-not-canadians/ar-AA10vkJF?ocid=EMMX&cvid=de01acf15e184abc8ff6fc5fceb89343

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

Is work experience outside of being a politician important to Conservative voters?  It used to be.  

Now we have the front runner of the Conservative Party whose resume is thinner than the resume of a drama teacher!

Can anyone name a job Poilievre has had outside of politics?

Crickets from PP supporters?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I don’t really care.  I’ve seen PP eviscerate government in Question Period and on committees.  He was powerful in dismantling Carney.  We need a fighter for Canada’s sovereign interests.  

it is the easiest thing to criticize, complain and whine. Y'all do it here regularly :)

It is a completely different thing to know what is going on and to do something about it that is best for the entire country (not just party voters).

41 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I don’t really care.  I’ve seen PP eviscerate government in Question Period and on committees.  He was powerful in dismantling Carney.  We need a fighter for Canada’s sovereign interests.  

He's obviously really smart with excellent historical context. I talked to him as I've mentioned. He has a winning personality that people gravitate towards and his wife is both stunning in her own right and very supportive of his goals. Yeah, he's a BIG threat to all these globalist fascists running around in jackboots.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Jack9000 said:

Pierre will win then lose the general lol. They should go with Charest if want to win central voters Pierre will turn off centrist with his attack style which isike Trump lite especially woman 

What other leader who has a chance of. becoming PM will defend Canadian interests.  Charest had a good run in Quebec in a different era with different challenges.  He’s a legacy guy and running for the leadership is mostly a vanity pre-retirement project for him.  Poilievre is sharp on current issues.  We need a dog with a bone.  

4 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

What other leader who has a chance of. becoming PM will defend Canadian interests.  Charest had a good run in Quebec in a different era with different challenges.  He’s a legacy guy and running for the leadership is mostly a vanity pre-retirement project for him.  Poilievre is sharp on current issues.  We need a dog with a bone.  

He is not sharp on issues all he knows to do is attack and bark like a dog lol he won't fix a damn thing .dudes in twitter sayingg Justin inflation every 5 mins like a fool when it's a global problem and Canada inflation was the lowest out of the major countries lol

1 hour ago, Jack9000 said:

He is not sharp on issues all he knows to do is attack and bark like a dog lol he won't fix a damn thing .dudes in twitter sayingg Justin inflation every 5 mins like a fool when it's a global problem and Canada inflation was the lowest out of the major countries lol

Pierre:  Justinflation.

You:  Justinfatuation.

Hardner, Excessive, others:  Justinflagellation.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Pierre:  Justinflation.

You:  Justinfatuation.

Hardner, Excessive, others:  Justinflagellation.

Don't you love it when the Liberals feel they need to approve of the Conservative leader?

?

We don't like him...harrumph.

• Like 1