Politicians and Russia Today

West

27 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

RT is funded by...the Russian state.  If you don't believe in public funding for the media, then RT shouldn't exist and shouldn't be supported.   

Try to keep your opinions straight okay?  

How Russia spends their money is of very little concern to me. 

I oppose cbc because it's my tax dollars going toward filth. 

Either way still irrelevant to the government censoring different view points because they disagree with them. Not really a free society at that point imo

Edited by West

4 minutes ago, West said:

Either way still irrelevant to the government censoring different view points because they disagree with them. Not really a free society at that point imo

It's not even the government that blocked RT.  Again, your logic runs out from underneath you. 

Bell and Rogers can choose who they will and won't carry.  They have chosen not to carry RT anymore (reasons are obvious) and they are free to make that choice.  ?

3 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

It's not even the government that blocked RT.  Again, your logic runs out from underneath you. 

Bell and Rogers can choose who they will and won't carry.  They have chosen not to carry RT anymore (reasons are obvious) and they are free to make that choice.  ?

The government asked the CRTC to take them off Canadian airwaves...

The government asked the CRTC to take them off Canadian airwaves...

The government expressed concerns over RT operating in Canada.  RT actually pays broadcasters to carry Russian propaganda. 

Regardless, Bell and Rogers dropped them on the weekend ahead of even a formal CRTC review.  The optics behind carrying Russian state propaganda whilst Ukraine is invaded were not good for any of these corporations.  

Of course for you the only explanation is "Aaaah TYRANNY!" 

4 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

The government expressed concerns over RT operating in Canada.  RT actually pays broadcasters to carry Russian propaganda. 

Regardless, Bell and Rogers dropped them on the weekend ahead of even a formal CRTC review.  The optics behind carrying Russian state propaganda whilst Ukraine is invaded were not good for any of these corporations.  

Of course for you the only explanation is "Aaaah TYRANNY!" 

Yes I'm well aware of Bell et Al's decision (see the op). You didn't seem aware of the government pressuring the crtc to take them off the air.

Edited by West

I'm aware of it, but the optics behind it made it fait accomplit no matter what.  All it took was someone to publicly bring up why the cable companies were carrying a Russian propaganda channel and that was going to be the end of it. 

Canada's hardly unique in this either.  RT is being removed all over the western world. 

4 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

Canada's hardly unique in this either.  RT is being removed all over the western world. 

Yes I'm aware of that. I don't think we are disagreeing on the facts. 

The question is should the government be involved in content censorship?

Edited by West

Yes.  Michael posted all sorts of examples earlier of what should be censored.  I would say state-funded propaganda from a hostile foreign nation is another fairly clear-cut example of what should qualify.  That's a no-brainer in my book.  

Why would we want to provide an easy outlet for Vladimir Putin to spread disinformation and undermine his political opponents? 

For freedom?  Your signals are a little crossed on that one.  

7 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

Yes.  Michael posted all sorts of examples earlier of what should be censored.  I would say state-funded propaganda from a hostile foreign nation is another fairly clear-cut example of what should qualify.  That's a no-brainer in my book.  

Why would we want to provide an easy outlet for Vladimir Putin to spread disinformation and undermine his political opponents? 

For freedom?  Your signals are a little crossed on that one.  

In the case of RT,  I would want to have access to the station to get their perspective whether I agree with it or not. 

Not a huge fan of CNN but still don't want them banned in Canada. 

So your equating the Russian perspective on the war to doing cocaine and you believe you are somehow making a point ?

Edited by West

2 minutes ago, Nexii said:

Who watches the news on cable these days? RT.com if you want to read their content

I imagine when they can censor the internet they'll put a stop to that pretty quickly. Can't see any of what Trudeau calls unacceptable views and must always take the side of the Canadian government ?

Comparing CNN and RT is a false equivalency.  You're comparing a private media firm with a heavy liberal bias against a state funded propaganda channel where the press has virtually no freedom in the first place.  You're not getting a perspective from RT.  You're being fed Vladimir's carefully curated bullshit.  

1 minute ago, West said:

I imagine when they can censor the internet they'll put a stop to that pretty quickly. Can't see any of what Trudeau calls unacceptable views and must always take the side of the Canadian government ?

Yet you have no problem finding all sorts of anti-Trudeau criticism online, do you?  

Just now, Moonbox said:

Comparing CNN and RT is a false equivalency.  You're comparing a private media firm with a heavy liberal bias against a state funded propaganda channel where the press has virtually no freedom in the first place.  You're not getting a perspective from RT.  You're being fed Vladimir's carefully curated bullshit.  

CNN falsely claimed the last American president worked in secret with Vladimir Putin to steal an election ?. If that wasn't destructive to western democracy don't know what is. 

Maybe but you are also getting talking points directly from the DNC from CNN

3 hours ago, West said:

With Bell, Telus and other cable providers pulling Russia Today from their packages, and with Canadian politicians such as Candace Bergen calling for CRTC to pull Russia Today's license, and with YouTube demonitizing all RT content, the question is is freedom of the press under attack? It appears Boris Johnson is pulling the same in the UK. 

As Trudeau looks to pass bill C11 essentially eliminating any alternative media, should Canadians be concerned with the amount of political influence over what is and isn't allowed to be discussed in Canada?

Should we not be able to watch RT and draw our own conclusions about what's on the network? 

And China harvests organs from prisoners.  Anyone planning to do anything about THAT?

3 hours ago, eyeball said:

So...a democratic state owned broadcaster = a broadcaster under a dictator's control.

Because the former is propaganda and the latter is free speech.

This is intellectually challenged.  

How else would you see it?  Doesn't the fact that the state owns a broadcaster sending alarm bells?

2 hours ago, RedDog said:

The State of the Union this evening should be spell-binding. Biden is swan diving in polls like the Ruble on world markets and in an election year the Day-Dream-Belivers are almost certain to lose both houses.

I fully expect him to slur his way through an incomprehensible speach.

• Like 1

I literally watched US propaganda from Mitt Romney on CNN on Sunday (just happened to be on in a restaurant I was in) talking about supplying weapons to the Ukraine. 

Of course if you are a bit hesitant to provide another country with weapons after seeing how Biden bungled the Afghanistan withdrawal leaving billions of dollars in weaponry to the hands of the Taliban you are somehow a traitor to your nation ?

I would love a Russian perspective on Romneys comments. I can see how they'd take that as a sign of aggression. 

Yet no issues with cnn whipping up a nation into potential nuclear conflict with Russia. 

Edited by West

I literally watched US propaganda from Mitt Romney on CNN on Sunday (just happened to be on in a restaurant I was in) talking about supplying weapons to the Ukraine. 

Of course if you are a bit hesitant to provide another country with weapons after seeing how Biden bungled the Afghanistan withdrawal leaving billions of dollars in weaponry to the hands of the Taliban you are somehow a traitor to your nation ?

I would love a Russian perspective on Romneys comments. I can see how they'd take that as a sign of aggression. 

Yet no issues with cnn whipping up a nation into potential nuclear conflict with Russia. 

Romney is a John McCain wannabe.  He is a neocon who thinks we need to spread democracy all over the world, no matter how dangerous that is.  He belongs to another era.

51 minutes ago, Faramir said:

How else would you see it?  Doesn't the fact that the state owns a broadcaster sending alarm bells?

No. No more than the fact it also owns alarm bells does.

I should probably be alarmed that so many people like yourself are alarmed but I guess it's still too comical.

7 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

When am I getting my COCAINE COMMERCIALS ?!?

PPSSTT Michael, you ok Brother, sounds like you flipped your lid, you know they got a phone number and people that you can talk to... on the bright side the wingnuts really don't last long, the sad part there are 100 others for every one on here that goes.  

20 hours ago, eyeball said:

No. No more than the fact it also owns alarm bells does.

I should probably be alarmed that so many people like yourself are alarmed but I guess it's still too comical.

So Pravda is no big deal?  You really want government to have a propaganda arm?  wow

• Haha 1