Evil Russian Empire invades defenseless Ukraine.

CITIZEN_2015

don't forget, after Castle Bravo went wrong, there came an "Anti-Nuclear Movement"

the left wing media followed them,

and the narrative was that a nuclear war was an extinction event for all intents & purpose

like Global Warming

so the media made a mockery of Duck & Cover, said that Duck & Cover was useless, "problematic"

but the truth is

if you max out on Duck & Cover ?

that actually works

just fyi

Russia invades Ukraine. The Ukraine government is distributing guns to it's citizens. This is a perfect example of why the right to bear arms is important.

Ukraine/Russia War Reveals Liberal Hypocrisy

Kira Rudik[i] is the former CEO of Ring Ukraine. She is now a Ukrainian Member of Parliament.

On February 26th, Gerald Butts tweeted the following about this impressive CEO-turned-civilian defence-trainer in Ukraine as the Ukrainian government distributed over 25,000 automatic rifles and 10 million rounds of ammunition to civilians in Kiev alone:[ii]

@kiraincongress was COO for home security tech startup that Amazon bought for a billion dollars. She could be on a beach anywhere in the world. Instead she’s learning how to use a weapon in Kiev. Amazing.[iii]

Butts says “guns are a menace”[iv] and “A Liberal vote is a vote for stronger gun control laws”[v] yet this week he openly calls arming Ukrainian civilians with automatic weapons “Awesome.”

That’s quite a flip-flop from his position here at home, where he’s 100% in favour of confiscating semi-automatic sporting rifles from ordinary Canadians who’ve passed every background check imaginable.

Gerald Butts’ hypocrisy is not lost on us, but it most assuredly is on him.

Canadians have a long history of proficiency with firearms.

It’s no accident that Canadian troops in both World Wars were commended on their shooting ability. They were avid hunters and shooters who learned their skills from their fathers and grandfathers.

This firearms proficiency was fully supported by our government-run schools. Up until the 1960s, most schools had shooting ranges in their basements and many kids brought their firearms to school to train.

If Gerald Butts and his pal, the Prime Minister, took his Ukrainian position here in Canada and, instead of “hating guns” they hated violent criminals (who routinely and repeatedly violate Firearm Prohibition Orders instead), we could make serious inroads on the drug dealer and gang violence problems faced by our major cities.[vi]

As for Ukraine, on February 23rd, its Parliament voted to immediately give civilians permission to carry firearms.[vii]

"The adoption of this law is fully in the interests of the state and society," the authors of the draft law said in a note, adding that the law was needed due to "existing threats and dangers for the citizens of Ukraine".

Most Ukrainians – boys and girls – learn how to shoot at school. About 400,000 people are estimated to have combat experience, following Vladimir Putin’s 2014 annexation of Crimea and the Moscow-supported armed uprising in the east.[viii]

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ironstone said:

Russia invades Ukraine. The Ukraine government is distributing guns to it's citizens. This is a perfect example of why the right to bear arms is important.

On the contrary, it's all the proof we need to show there's no reason why armouries can't be used to store weapons until needed.

14 minutes ago, eyeball said:

On the contrary, it's all the proof we need to show there's no reason why armouries can't be used to store weapons until needed.

Are there any dictatorships that give citizens the right to bear arms? 

Regulating firearms in gun-loving Switzerland - SWI swissinfo.ch

Switzerland has it right.

• Like 1

so the Biden Administration has said they are not going to defend Ukraine

they are just going to collectively punish 140 million Russians by destroying their economy

the same failed strategy from North Korea to Iraq

so when Russia becomes a giant North Korea or Iraq with 7000 nuclear warheads

are we going to be in a better situation then ?

morally, it's the worst of both worlds

you don't defend the Ukrainian civilians

you only attack the Russian civilians

only civilians are collectively punished on both sides

and the destabilization of Russia only causes the geopolitical situation to spiral further into chaos

Edited by Dougie93

The sanctions will bring the Russian economy down on its knees. Now it is clear that not only stopping the war and withdrawing from Ukraine but also demanding Putin out of power should be the condition for lifting the sanctions.

On the other hand the western leaders may think that Russia must not be overhumiliated and will settle for only stopping the war as a condition to end the sanctions. Putin could stay.

He must have known in advance that if he starts the war this is exactly the kind of response he gets. It would be strange if he hasnt any plan how to deal with the situation.

Balance of Terror

Strategic Warning

Russia is over the Rubicon

they need to see America mobilizing for war, worldwide

just to give them pause

even just to save them from themselves

this is exactly the same sort of half measures that the Democrats committed in the 1960's

this is exactly how the Democrats got us into the Cuban Missile Crisis & Vietnam

this is one arm tied behind our backs all over again

MAD is not a given unto itself

if you wait until you have nothing to do except invoke the Miniuteman III's at the last moment ?

that is the most dangerous path of all

you have to ramp things up, way before it comes to that

Peace through running and hiding because Putin might threaten us with nukes ?

No.

Peace Through Strength

B-1, B-2, B-52, F-22

start sending it to Europe

warm it all up now

Edited by Dougie93

14 hours ago, ironstone said:

Are there any dictatorships that give citizens the right to bear arms? 

Regulating firearms in gun-loving Switzerland - SWI swissinfo.ch

Switzerland has it right.

Households throughout Iraq had guns during Saddam's rule. Saddam controlled guns and access to weapons and ammunition but a read of some of the responses from Iraqi's in the link below suggest guns were plentiful during his rule. 

https://www.quora.com/How-were-gun-laws-under-Saddam-Hussein-in-Iraq-Were-citizens-allowed-to-own-firearms-How-did-this-change-after-the-U-S-invasion-in-2003

As for now...

With a gun culture that closely resembles that of the United States, Iraq is one of the most heavily armed societies in the world. Its tradition of self-reliance and hard desert and mountain living puts it on a gun-per-person level rivaling other clan systems in Yemen or Somalia.

https://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0310/p01s03-woiq.html

Federal government warns Canadians against joining Russia to fight against Ukraine.

https://www.cp24.com/news/federal-government-warns-canadians-against-fighting-for-russia-in-ukraine-1.5804353

I must admit it never ever crossed my mind there may be Canadians anywhere who may even consider joining Russian invading forces who are intentionally killing defenseless women and children and occupying a sovereign country.

That said there are murderous people everywhere including Canada and could be among us Canadians as well who may enjoy hunting innocent defenseless people and kill them and it will bring them joy to see women and children shot dead or bombed into death. Those bastards who will take part in the crime against humanity MUST BE PUT ON TRIAL as taking part in committing war crimes and crimes against humanity and receive the maximum allowable sentence under Canadian law.

The powers that be are very good at demonizing an entire people as monsters. 

I thought it was Putin and his cronies that we were all angry with. Not the Russian people who are not happy about this war if the demonstrations are any indication. Demonstrations they KNOW will be put down violently...and were.

So why destroy their bank accounts? Surely there is a better way that these generals and leaders could do things. They're paid enough to think of ways...

8 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

No it is Putin and his entire surroundings and his murderous army including every officer or soldier who are taking part in crime against humanity and mass murder of defenseless women and children and the segment of Russian population who support Putin or his murderous actions.

So far all they are doing is punishing regular Russians who I am sure would love to go back to normal. Russia wasn't full of street demonstrations calling for war with the Ukraine.

Putin is KGB. Isn't there some James Bond CIA agent that can do the needed actions?

5 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

they just whacked Mikhail Watford seems like

the KGB are settling all scores

just another sign we are in the opening phases of World War Three

It would seem he was one of the Ukraine gas biggies. The plot thickens.

28 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

The powers that be are very good at demonizing an entire people as monsters. 

Did you inadvertently paste this here instead of a Trudeau vs the truckers thread?

I thought it was Putin and his cronies that we were all angry with. Not the Russian people who are not happy about this war if the demonstrations are any indication. Demonstrations they KNOW will be put down violently...and were.

So why destroy their bank accounts? Surely there is a better way that these generals and leaders could do things.

Putin and his cronies are the target.  It is unfortunate that the economic fortunes of ordinary Russians will be collateral damage in this war but what better way do you propose, toe to toe combat?  What's wrong with triggering oligarchs and ordinary people alike to revolt against Putin from both directions.  

They're paid enough to think of ways...

To bad they didn't have generals and leaders and things in the old days who could think far enough ahead to see the day would come when coddling and gazing deeply into the eyes dictators and doing business with them and such would blow back on us.  You knew it would even as you cheered it on and shit on anyone else who could see it coming.

5 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

It would seem he was one of the Ukraine gas biggies. The plot thickens.

Seems to be a lot of confusion over whether he was Ukrainian or Russian but in any case it's one less oligarch. Hopefully there's still enough room on the bottom of the ocean for them to pile up on.

Eyeball, I'm no war monger and you know it. I don't think you're one either.

I am a history guy though. These folks eventually stormed Berlin together during WW2. Brothers in arms and all that. Not an American or Brit in sight until the clean-up was on.

I realize that Ukrainian nationalism is a thing. But for centuries...literally...both were just parts of some bigger thing. Princes of Kiev...Princes of Muscovy...Vikings...Mongols, etc. Struggling for dominion or freedom alike.

5 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Seems to be a lot of confusion over whether he was Ukrainian or Russian but in any case it's one less oligarch. Hopefully there's still enough room on the bottom of the ocean for them to pile up on.

I notice Wikipedia now claims Khrushchev was a Russian.

:lol: 

Well, his village of birth is inside Russia now...heh. Retroactive Russian.

1 hour ago, DogOnPorch said:

Eyeball, I'm no war monger and you know it. I don't think you're one either.

That said we've both uttered or attributed some pretty heinous shit towards one another.

I am a history guy though. These folks eventually stormed Berlin together during WW2. Brothers in arms and all that. Not an American or Brit in sight until the clean-up was on.

I realize that Ukrainian nationalism is a thing. But for centuries...literally...both were just parts of some bigger thing. Princes of Kiev...Princes of Muscovy...Vikings...Mongols, etc. Struggling for dominion or freedom alike.

I'm more of a future guy. We've also been moving towards a much smaller thing - a pale blue dot perhaps. Certainly a better vision for the future instead of a struggle over who or what should dominate it, especially if it's just for history's sake. Nobody likes to be dominated and it's great to hear you acknowledge I'm not a warmonger.  That said, you better  promise to keep your filthy state off my back or I'll sic mine on you so fast...meh.  Back to back sounds more constructive. 

I notice Wikipedia now claims Khrushchev was a Russian.

:lol: 

Well, his village of birth is inside Russia now...heh. Retroactive Russian.

Born in the same place as everyone nonetheless - directly over the center of the pale blue dot. 

• Like 1