Energy Independence

West

2 minutes ago, eyeball said:

There were other more shameful things being botched up a long time ago, still well within living memory however, that have also left their mark on the present and it's conundrums.  We didn't follow the world and join with our allies in their twisted machinations that have resulted in much of the present geopolitical quagmire the world is in.  We tried to offer a different path with our emphasis on being peacekeepers instead of being warmongers. We didn't court dictators and warlords and tried our best to stay on the right side of history. And that's what we should keep doing.

Don't really know this is all about tbh, or how it relates to this.  

2 minutes ago, eyeball said:

As for Canada's oil, you might recall I've suggested we should have hired Norway to manage our energy strategy.  Norway still has the largest sovereign wealth fund on the  planet that it amassed from it's own far more limited oil reserves. That said I'd be wary of Norwegian management ethics if BC's fish farm industry is anything to go by. 

Norway had much clearer vision with energy back when their oil boom started in the early 70's.  By contrast, Pierre Trudeau's NEP (along with all his other economic policies) was an unmitigated disaster.   

34 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

but it isn't really, not unless you are worried that US suppliers will cut us of from refined products.  I think it's a damn shame that Pierre Trudeau so horribly botched Canada's energy strategy decades ago, and how nobody did much meaningful about it since, but that train left a long time ago. 

The dream of Canada building refineries in Alberta, Ontario or BC or whatever is certainly appealing, but it's not that simple.  You can't just sort of "build the refinery".  To compete with importing from the US would require massive economies of scale, enormous infrastructure investments (refinery processes, terminals, pipelines) and would likely take decades to recoup the capital outlay.  All of this would be happening in an environment where economies are trying to move away from oil and when Canadian oil is already expensive to harvest in the first place.   

If we assume that oil demand and reliance declines over the next 20-30 (EVs, renewable energy etc), then this is a losing bet that nobody would want to make.  

Oil demand is only going to keep increasing as the world population grows and Africa industrializes.

Fossil fuels will only be obsoleted by fusion power which is probably ~30 years out.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

Norway had much clearer vision with energy back when their oil boom started in the early 70's.  By contrast, Pierre Trudeau's NEP (along with all his other economic policies) was an unmitigated disaster.   

Norway doesn’t have to deal with things like provincial resource rights but the NEP was a disaster.

21 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

We (the West) set the stage and a buffet of opportunity for dictators and autocrats whenever we abandoned long-term hard-earned moral principles for short-term realpolitik pragmatism and now we're reaping the 'benefits' of being on the wrong side of that history.

Is it too late for coalitions of middle powers to bring their super-allies to heel? I think so.

As for our own inabilities regarding our vision for the future vs Norway's I would suggest we were hobbled with a dysfunctional confederation and a constitution that was unable to address historical injustices that Norway didn't have to deal with. I'm not a subscriber to kharma but I do believe that these will keep blowing back in our faces and coming back to haunt us until they're resolved.  The same is just as true on the global stage.  You can see the very same results in any family that tries to bury and ignore old sins that have been committed within it. 

too little too late???

22h ago

Feds seek to fast-track LNG project amid Ukraine attack: Pieridae CEO

Michelle Zadikian, BNN Bloomberg

The head of Calgary-based natural gas producer Pieridae Energy Ltd. said he’s fielding inquiries from the federal government over how the company’s proposed Goldboro liquefied natural gas (LNG) project could be completed quicker than anticipated.

Alfred Sorensen, chief executive officer of Pieridae, said government officials are mainly interested in the current status of the project and what might be needed to move the project along faster. 

“We certainly have been speaking with different departments in how we might be able to find a near-term solution versus a much longer-term solution,” he said. 

Representatives from the Natural Resources; Innovation, Science and Industry; and International Trade ministries weren’t immediately available to comment on Sorensen’s remarks. 

Sorensen said the project has had a higher profile over the past few weeks, particularly in light of growing tensions between Russia and the U.S. over Ukraine. Those tensions have now escalated into a full-blown attack on Ukraine from Russia, while further concerns are raised about Europe’s dependence on Russian energy supplies. 

“We know that Russia is a significant source of natural gas and oil for European partners. And one of the things that we've been doing over the past number of weeks is ensuring that there are alternatives to Russia, not just to make sure that our friends and allies in Europe continue to be able to function their economies and support their people, but to make sure that Putin no longer draws sustenance for his economy,” said Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in a press conference on Thursday. 

The Goldboro LNG project has already been significantly scaled down from its original proposal. Originally envisioned as an onshore LNG export facility in Goldboro, N.S., the project is now being developed as floating facility off the coast of Nova Scotia. 

The new, revamped project is expected to process 2.5 million metric tonnes of natural gas annually and cost roughly $2 billion. The original facility was estimated to cost as much as $10 billion. 

Sorensen said the decision to scale back the project was driven by a number of obstacles including the high operating costs and access to capital.

“I don't think debt is a big issue. It’s very much equity. That has been the problem for the last year, but certainly I think we see most of that really driven by the green movement away from fossil fuels,” he said.

“If we had financial support five years ago, we would be [exporting] today. I do believe that the project still has substantial merit in reducing the amount of dependence on Russian gas and this is one of the principal reasons I think we've seen a revived interest.”

Another roadblock has been a lack of pipelines connecting Alberta to Eastern Canada.

However, Sorensen said that renewed regulatory efforts to resolve natural gas transport issues and better access to capital could mean that the project could grow to meet European demand. 

“We are producing over 200 million [cubic feet of natural gas] a day right now. We think that we can easily move to 400 million, which is the current size of our current project," he said.

"If there was additional interest to resolve some of these pipeline issues, we could very easily go back to the five metric tonne project, which is roughly about 800 million [cubic feet of natural gas] a day. And just to put that in a bit of context, that's roughly about 10 per cent of German daily demand.”

On 2/25/2022 at 12:51 PM, eyeball said:

We didn't follow the world and join with our allies in their twisted machinations that have resulted in much of the present geopolitical/energy quagmire the world is in.  We tried to offer a different path with our emphasis on being peacekeepers instead of being warmongers. We didn't court dictators and warlords and tried our best to stay on the right side of history. And that's what we should keep doing - mind you with fewer of the twisted machinations we manage to inflict on ourselves domestically.

I guess we should not forget, the pictures of Muammar al Gaddafi and our Pm in some tent in the middle of the desert in Libya ironing out contracts , or the SNC scandall of a Canadians company bribing the same family with hookers and other things and our current government trying to cover it all up, nor should we forget when Canada played a major role in removing the government of Haiti..

And we have spent far more in resources and troop numbers at war than we have ever have in peace keeping which is some myth made up by some politician to look good. 

11 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

I guess we should not forget, the pictures of Muammar al Gaddafi and our Pm in some tent in the middle of the desert in Libya ironing out contracts , or the SNC scandall of a Canadians company bribing the same family with hookers and other things and our current government trying to cover it all up, nor should we forget when Canada played a major role in removing the government of Haiti..

And we have spent far more in resources and troop numbers at war than we have ever have in peace keeping which is some myth made up by some politician to look good. 

No we shouldn't forget our failures at all. In fact we should be rubbing our noses in our own shit the hardest of all.

You play whataboutism and keep on pretending I'm only interested in tearing our country down all you want. I really can't think of anything that will tear it apart faster myself.

Well at least Canada is in a position where we are more or less energy independent and not beholden to autocratic regimes. And same goes for being food independent.

It's manufacturing where we need to step up, or at least ensure we depend more on western allies and less on China. We saw how that worked out with buying vaccines from China. It put us months behind the rest of the world. 

I think over the next 20-30 years, the economic battles are going to be fought over cheap labor in developing countries. China is already winning the battle in Africa, although the west has Latin America. India and Indonesia will have a big role to play, which way they go will shape the world.

On 2/25/2022 at 12:07 PM, Nexii said:

Oil demand is only going to keep increasing as the world population grows and Africa industrializes.

Fossil fuels will only be obsoleted by fusion power which is probably ~30 years out.

It can decrease by the type of fuels. 

More LNG and Hydrogen and less Coal and Oil. 

Hydrogen's biggest problem is storing enough. The hydrogen atom is tiny...light...and wiggles right through most storage tanks. One of the biggest challenges with both Apollo and the Soviet N-1 Moon rocket was building those tanks.

Edited by DogOnPorch

No, Hydrogen's biggest problem is separating it in an economically feasible manner.  Until you can do this cheaply, it remains an expensive (though alluring) alternative.  

The process is very energy-intensive itself (usually requiring electrolysis or steam) so it's really not an energy alternative until we solve the energy problem in the first place.  

Energy independence. Canada should have had it all along. We could still have it. But instead we make stupid laws about carbon taxes and make asinine commitments to cut our fossil fuel usage.  And all this BEFORE we have a replacement energy source.

AHHH...WE ALL GONNA DIIIEEE!!!

The dumb-assery of this sort of thinking is monumental.

And now we see, clearly as can be, that reduction of oil and gas production at this point in time is...plain old stupid. It will take about another generation for our scientific understanding to produce a reliable alternate energy source. And when they do, we will only replace 1 issue with another. What to do with the byproduct of the energy extraction process. In the meantime...the 3rd world is held back in the name of...

We spend all the untold billions on trying to feed, educate and house Africa and assorted other 3rd world nations. Yet if we built a few cheap power generators in these areas, they could feed, educate and house themselves. Essentially...we have stunted the progress of the 3rd world because...

And why do we think this? Well hell son...every government funded "scientist" says so. Don't you trust "the science"?

Well...no...I don't. "The science" has been wrong...very wrong...about all their great predictions and advise for a long long time now. And our media, scientists, governments and elite, have screamed this doomsday scenario so much and so loudly, that now the western world is scared shitless and believe even the worst of these stupid predictions. In the end, one must ask one's self...

Who's really good...and who's really evil here?

Edited by Nationalist

45 minutes ago, West said:

Gas was at $1.58 a liter. Thanks Trudeau

And the population seems powerless to reverse punishing carbon taxes because in Canada Liberal government always knows better than Canadians and cost of living isn’t important.  Shouting about restoring democracy in Ukraine while trying to eliminate it in Canada is the Trudeau government’s idea of working for Canadians.  

1 hour ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Going up about another 10 cents on April 1 due to carbon tax.

Personally I think they should just tax gas-powered autos and leave the gas alone.

Who can afford electric vehicles that have practical range and power?   This is what happens when wealthy ideologues set policies for working people that simply don’t work.  Now both our cost of living is outrageously high and our allies are at the mercy of dictators that never stopped pumping oil when green wokester western leaders competed to shut down domestic energy production because “climate change.”

Edited by Zeitgeist

13 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Who can afford electric vehicles that have practical range and power?   This is what happens when wealthy ideologues set policies for working people that simply don’t work.  Now both our cost of living is outrageously high and our allies are at the mercy of dictators that never stopped pumping oil when green wokester western leaders competed to shut down domestic energy production because “climate change.”

Planned collapse of the west by the nut jobs. 

Interest rates will skyrocket soon citing inflation which will cause alot of people to foreclose. Crisis created by the government

Edited by West

22 minutes ago, West said:

Planned collapse of the west by the nut jobs. 

Interest rates will skyrocket soon citing inflation which will cause alot of people to foreclose. Crisis created by the government

Yes and they’ll heighten the climate alarmism when gas is two bucks a litre and Putin is bombing the relatives of Ukrainian Canadians.  Supporters of the Trudeau woke-green dictatorship will simply work harder to silence the opposition and cheerlead oppressive policies. Unfortunately that’s half of Canadians, so expect to live under this insane government until you die.  In the meantime enjoy poverty. Well on our way to, “You will have nothing and be happy,” as cynical a slogan as “Arbeit macht frei.”

Edited by Zeitgeist

I'm all for green economy but the so-called green policies being implemented make no sense. The world isn't polluting less when we import our oil from Russia instead of making it ourselves. Similarly, taxing carbon doesn't do anything to reduce carbon emissions. It's not like we will heat our homes less in winter because the cost is higher. It's just a money grab.

Subsidizing hydro and solar makes a bit more sense. We could be taxing foreign coal and oil to pay for those subsidies.

10 minutes ago, Nexii said:

I'm all for green economy but the so-called green policies being implemented make no sense. The world isn't polluting less when we import our oil from Russia instead of making it ourselves. Similarly, taxing carbon doesn't do anything to reduce carbon emissions. It's not like we will heat our homes less in winter because the cost is higher. It's just a money grab.

Subsidizing hydro and solar makes a bit more sense. We could be taxing foreign coal and oil to pay for those subsidies.

Carbon tax is another wealth transfer in the name of the environment. 

Energy policy being made by some guy in a suit without any experience 9000km away is ridiculous

Edited by West

10 minutes ago, Nexii said:

I own a $33000 solar system that earns $1200 a year at a heavily subsidized rate.  I drank the green energy Kool-Aid and still suffer the consequences.  Don’t get me wrong, there are sensible inexpensive moves government can make, especially with building codes, but there’s a lot of smoke and mirrors around green energy.  In its current form it barely moves the needle on energy supply.  It’s almost a mystical cult.