Canada's military, how impressive it really is.

Army Guy

On 5/16/2022 at 4:26 PM, Army Guy said:

CBC is dragging up old news and bashing DND once again... I guess it did not get enough traction the first time...DND is no more racist than any other government department in the federal or provincial government. 

Now the Military ombudsmen are getting in on the shit show, Must be blood in the water...Not enough diversity in the ranks, maybe and I'm just guessing here maybe those people of ethnic backgrounds are not interested in joining the military. What's the next step "kidnapping" them and forcing them to serve, So the charts in Ottawa will look good on the walls.  Promotions and hiring practices used to be based on merit, and qualifications now it looks like they are going to be based on skin color. Ya, that's not racist at all. 

Military failing to remove barriers to diversifying ranks: ombudsman (msn.com)

The worst thing ever.
How can you force people to join a military short of conscription?

If there are few women, minorities or other, then is is because the Military has nothing to offer them as a career. There is not even enough pride in this Nation to encourage people to join in to protect and serve and work for the Country (politics aside).

As for the Ombudsman stepping into this fray, that is totally unacceptable. He is not there to recruit or to diversify the Military, he is there to assist the serving ranks.

Gary Walborne was the only Ombudsman that actually tried to help the service people. His predecessor became political and his successor certainly is. Politics are the reason Gary is gone.

10 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

The worst thing ever.
How can you force people to join a military short of conscription?

If there are few women, minorities or other, then is is because the Military has nothing to offer them as a career. There is not even enough pride in this Nation to encourage people to join in to protect and serve and work for the Country (politics aside).

As for the Ombudsman stepping into this fray, that is totally unacceptable. He is not there to recruit or to diversify the Military, he is there to assist the serving ranks.

Gary Walborne was the only Ombudsman that actually tried to help the service people. His predecessor became political and his successor certainly is. Politics are the reason Gary is gone.

The Government is slowly running out of tricks to get people to serve, they are now pretending to be all-inclusive, make some drastic changes, to policies like dress codes, and new additions to QR&O, bringing in gender identification, males can wear jewelry, like nose rings other piercing's, have long hair wear man buns, or ponytails, wear makeup... There was good soldier reasons why all those policies like dress and deportment, etc... in the first place, and even its own members have no loyalty to the institution anymore, The last panel to study racism was EX- Military and some of its recommendations are out of this world. like like disband the military clergy, all clergy regardless of domination, Jewish, Muslim, Cristian, all of them, Thank God DND disregarded that one. The latest complaint is that there are not enough ethnic background people in the chain of command. It takes entire careers to move that far up the chain, well it is not fast enough for Government, or for that matter all these groups that are doing these studies. 

And I agree 100 %, that the Ombudsmen should stay in their lane.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Army Guy said:

The Government is slowly running out of tricks to get people to serve, they are now pretending to be all-inclusive, make some drastic changes, to policies like dress codes, and new additions to QR&O, bringing in gender identification, males can wear jewelry, like nose rings other piercing's, have long hair wear man buns, or ponytails, wear makeup... There was good soldier reasons why all those policies like dress and deportment, etc... in the first place, and even its own members have no loyalty to the institution anymore, The last panel to study racism was EX- Military and some of its recommendations are out of this world. like like disband the military clergy, all clergy regardless of domination, Jewish, Muslim, Cristian, all of them, Thank God DND disregarded that one. The latest complaint is that there are not enough ethnic background people in the chain of command. It takes entire careers to move that far up the chain, well it is not fast enough for Government, or for that matter all these groups that are doing these studies. 

And I agree 100 %, that the Ombudsmen should stay in their lane.

We already have an Equal Opportunities Act that requires the Military and all others to provide opportunities that is being asked for. Nothing more is needed except to encourage people to join up.... and therein lies the problem.

"The purpose of this Act is to achieve equality in the workplace so that no person shall be denied employment opportunities or benefits for reasons unrelated to ability and, in the fulfilment of that goal, to correct the conditions of disadvantage in employment experienced by women, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities by giving effect to the principle that employment equity means more than treating persons in the same way but also requires special measures and the accommodation of differences"

A recent email encouraging Canadian Armed Forces members to consider contacting Habitat for Humanity for affordable housing is shedding light on how rising home and rental prices are affecting military personnel.

At the same time, Eyre lamented a shortage of military housing, saying: "Now we're somewhere in the neighbourhood of 4,000 to 6,000 units short on our bases, which is also accentuating the housing problem.''

We know what the problem is, and have known it for years, in fact, DND had an action plan to reduce housing on all bases Here in CFB Gagetown close to 500 PMQ or homes were torn down, and not replaced, The plan was to build modern and affordable new homes, instead, DND and Government took the cost savings instead... that was when the average member could afford housing, not anymore.  Now they ( DND ) are caught with their pants down, and no new funding... 

5 to 6000 thousand homes short, that is a huge deficit, these homes were meant to provide military personnel with savings when compared to the civilian market, due to high turnover rates every 2 to 4 years for officers, and 4 to 8 years for enlisted depending on military needs. So one day they could afford a home, but that is gone as a complaint was raised to the government showing it was unfair to the general public. So military housing built in late 40 or 50's is now being rented out for the same price as homes outside of the base. Anyone that has lived in these PMQs can tell you it is not worth even half that. It should be noted the government makes a huge profit off these rentals, much more than it provides in maintenance and upgrades. 

It would be a very nice way to bring our NATO or military expenditures up while providing military members with new modern and affordable homes. 

Canada can do more for military members struggling to find housing: defence minister (msn.com)

5 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

It would be a very nice way to bring our NATO or military expenditures up while providing military members with new modern and affordable homes.

I found the lifestyle to be the most impressive part of the CF

I never had to live in PMQ's mind you

I had my girlfriend's family home down on the Point to go to, which was lovely

but a single room in G-101 was the cat's ass

Trenton was even fancier, Trenton was cushy

the food was great at Normandy Mess in Pet, same in Trenton

and Y-101/102 was an impressive facility, the Death Star

I would just say don't get married and have kids while serving in the infantry

until you have enough rank & salary to buy a house down on the Point

it's like my girlfrirend's father, Paul, he was an RCR Sergeant

but he had moved on to base support staff, like he did maintenance around the base

he was just staying in to pay for the mortgage & his motorcycle

On 5/19/2022 at 9:27 AM, ExFlyer said:

We already have an Equal Opportunities Act that requires the Military and all others to provide opportunities that is being asked for. Nothing more is needed except to encourage people to join up.... and therein lies the problem.

"The purpose of this Act is to achieve equality in the workplace so that no person shall be denied employment opportunities or benefits for reasons unrelated to ability and, in the fulfilment of that goal, to correct the conditions of disadvantage in employment experienced by women, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities by giving effect to the principle that employment equity means more than treating persons in the same way but also requires special measures and the accommodation of differences"

I agree 100% we already have rules and regulations plus laws to ensure equal opportunities are given to all sexes, races, and creeds. That's not where the shortfall begins,  it is not in Military culture, or attitudes, those are Canadian attitudes.

The problem started with the lowering of standards to be more inclusive, with one standard for men and one for women. I have no problem having women infantrymen, Zero, they have passed the basic standards, and have passed the muster in the units, lots of female combat arms did excellent jobs in combat in Afghanistan and i would gladly go to war with any day... It takes a huge effort to kick a subpar woman out of the military or reclass her trade, a Guy not so much, What it does is create division between soldiers.. add to all this is promotions, many women are on the fast track because of their sex, and someone needs to equal all the charts...creating more division They want to have equal status, equal opportunities but they also want lower standards, but in the combat arms when lives are on the line standards need to be high for everyone, can't live up to those standards then do something else or train until you can meet them.

And yet despite all of this, the majority of women don't want to enter the combat trades, unless they don't have the education to be anything else. They are never going to make their targets laid out by some quota or chart.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

I found the lifestyle to be the most impressive part of the CF

I never had to live in PMQ's mind you

I had my girlfriend's family home down on the Point to go to, which was lovely

but a single room in G-101 was the cat's ass

Trenton was even fancier, Trenton was cushy

the food was great at Normandy Mess in Pet, same in Trenton

and Y-101/102 was an impressive facility, the Death Star

I would just say don't get married and have kids while serving in the infantry

until you have enough rank & salary to buy a house down on the Point

it's like my girlfrirend's father, Paul, he was an RCR Sergeant

but he had moved on to base support staff, like he did maintenance around the base

he was just staying in to pay for the mortgage & his motorcycle

Back in the day they used to tell us, you were never issued a wife... and we would be told mission first then the equipment, then yourself, family always came last, every time. Section leaders would drill that over and over, Do you have a family plan should you be deployed... and if you did not and your spouse went to HQ tell them something was much different than what you reported, and you'd be called up to see the RSM and the big guy, and your name was shit for years...

Being in the field 8 months out of the year was common. Coming home included getting to know your family once again...or finding them gone which was also common.

4 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

one thing I loved about Y-101

the varsol bath in the weapons cleaning rooms

they had the varsol on tap, with the spray guns, and the tubs to soak the rifles

varsol is the best way to clean a C7

just make sure remove all the carsol to finish with CLP at the end

There are days when I miss all of it, even the hard times... The adrenal rush of combat or the simple stuff like inserting by helo, looking at the sea of helos, and the LZ coming in low and fast...I miss the comradery the most, everyday was an adventure.

9 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

Back in the day they used to tell us, you were never issued a wife...

yeah, send bachelor's

guys who loaded up on wives & kids at a young age, bad idea

if you hang around for decades, get to Senior NCO with time in salary, then okay

but the young JR's getting married to some townie girl and having bairns, that's gonna jam you up

I was young, I joined at 17, so I had an 18 year old girlfrriend

that was perfect

the whole family life down on the point with her mom & dad & little brother

but all I was responsible for was my $115 a month for my room & meal card

Renfrew is actually a single man's paradise

plenty of country qt's around to date

best thing on base is the beach

what a beautiful beach that is, on the river across from Quebec

it's a romantic place to take a date, I camped down there many times, hoochie for two

Edited by Dougie93

11 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

I miss the comradery the most, everyday was an adventure.

in retrospect, I loved every minute of it, even the defaulters

from when I was a boy soldier at 17 until I met my wife

but when I met my wife, everything changed

she's a high roller by my trailer park boy standards

she was not going to be an army wife

but it was love at first sight and she turned out to be my soulmate

at which point, I could not abide the defence department getting between me & her at all

so that's when I decided to turn in my kit, before 9-11, not even knowing that a war was about to break out

15 hours ago, Army Guy said:

I agree 100% we already have rules and regulations plus laws to ensure equal opportunities are given to all sexes, races, and creeds. That's not where the shortfall begins,  it is not in Military culture, or attitudes, those are Canadian attitudes.

The problem started with the lowering of standards to be more inclusive, with one standard for men and one for women. I have no problem having women infantrymen, Zero, they have passed the basic standards, and have passed the muster in the units, lots of female combat arms did excellent jobs in combat in Afghanistan and i would gladly go to war with any day... It takes a huge effort to kick a subpar woman out of the military or reclass her trade, a Guy not so much, What it does is create division between soldiers.. add to all this is promotions, many women are on the fast track because of their sex, and someone needs to equal all the charts...creating more division They want to have equal status, equal opportunities but they also want lower standards, but in the combat arms when lives are on the line standards need to be high for everyone, can't live up to those standards then do something else or train until you can meet them.

And yet despite all of this, the majority of women don't want to enter the combat trades, unless they don't have the education to be anything else. They are never going to make their targets laid out by some quota or chart.

The lowering of standards to include not just women but others not fit enough or previously not acceptable is definitely a problem. Not justi in the Military though. Standards have been lowered all over to include those that should not be there and that has jeopardized others within the same job.

There was, at one time, women joining or applying for positions just because they could. Many did not last long at all such as those in the  infantry, or even fighter pilots. I had many come into Air Force trades, many succeeded in the avionics end of the trades as the jobs we primarily in shops and indoors but in the aviation trades where the work was deployments, outdoors and heavy lifting, they all (not all but many) dwindled away.

Quota hiring never made things better, just more difficult for those remaining.

• Thanks 1

On 5/24/2022 at 5:35 PM, Army Guy said:

I have no problem having women infantrymen, Zero

females don't stand a chance against a man for close combat on civvy street

but somehow they are equal in a trench for close combat in the infantry

yeah okay sure

zero chance I would want a female in a trench with me when it came to bayonet range

I wouldn't take a girl with me for backup on the streets neither

I've never met a female in the infantry

who I couldn't have killed with my bare hands, without even breaking a sweat

and in the infantry, I was a lover not a fighter, I was no super soldier, I was average

but the weakest man in the ranks was orders of magnitude better than the strongest female

and when the females couldn't compete, the pulled the chicken switch

they made up bullshit stories about being "harassed"

which made them liars, never to be trusted, that was the most disruptive aspect

females do not adhere to the male dominance hierarchy

females will quit shamelessly, females will lie shamelessly, they have no honour code

they are a burden not a boon to the brotherhood, to claim otherwise is to deny human nature

female finance clerks, female pilots, even female sailors, whatever, no biggie

but females being effective infantry is not something I can agree with

because it is just not true

never pass a fault is how I was indoctrinated, harsh realm

then, in order to meet some sort of mandate from the Liberals to make more female infantry

the officers went against everything that they had trained me for

whenever I failed a female at Batttleschool, the officer overrode my assessment : passed the fault

whenever a female failed a P.O., she was given a "pass" by the Course Commander

just another reason my faith in the chain of command collapsed in the 1990's

the females were lying, the officers were lying, the whole chain of command was living.a lie

at some point, you are confronted with the fact that your role was to kill & die for these liars

in order to meet the political objectives of the Liberal Party of Canada

there wasn't one thing the officers would not sell down the river

there was no standard, the standard was tossed overboard all the time, even at the RCR Battleschool

I prized the RCR Battleschool standard, I worshipped it

it was hard for me to meet that standard, I pushed myself beyond my limits to meet it

then it turned out to be a lie, the standard was totally flexible, it was utterly political

it was a joke, the officers had obviously been ordered to "pass" the females no matter what

then the ethos for joining in the first place starts to unravel quickly

if you're going to kill other human beings

don't do it for Canada, do not take a life for the filthy corruption of this leftist lunatic asylum

don't live the lie, it's soul destroying

the guy that made it tolerable was Clive Tasco

Warrant Tasco protected us from the officers, I'll never forget his loyalty to the ranks

Clive Tasco was an infantry brother, we all respected him, we all loved him

Warrant Tasco defended his boys, even when the officers tried to throw us under the bus

Edited by Dougie93

Canada is once again being called out by US ambassador for being cheap when it comes to our National Defense, and as usual, it will fall on deaf ears, although it does speak volumes when a newly appointed ambassador brings up the subject in his first few days of office.

Canadians will brush this off as they have all the other thousands of attempts by world leaders around the globe... 3 cheers for our leader, what his name again, oh ya, I cant seem to say the truth, Trudeau. it's a new Canadian trait that is spreading among liberals... 

U.S. Ambassador says Canada didn't live up to its own hype on defence spending (msn.com)

On 5/26/2022 at 8:09 PM, LibertarianCanadian said:

I'd like to see the Canadian military disbanded.  Iceland and Costa Rica don't have militaries, and I say we don't need one either.

I agree if we are not going to invest in that department then shut er down..

Do you even know what your military does every day for this country? Before we close it down you should know what you're going to lose. Iceland and Costa Rica don't have much sovereignty much less a say in those matters, Do they, in fact, other nations provide their security for them, which means foreign troops in place of ours, they would also have a say in our country's security apparatus, and Canada would no longer have a need for a foreign policy, I mean how would you enforce anything outside of our borders. who is going to provide Search and rescue, who is going to take over emergency preparedness for the nation, who is going to respond to all those national disasters, who is going to provide security over major events like Olympics, or G-20,etc?,  Who is going to track Santa Claus on Dec 25.

I don’t know much about our military. I honour and respect them. My grandfather was wounded and decorated in France in WW1. He was honourable discharged by King George V and walked with a cane until he died.

That said, I expect my cousins farming are better equipped and have more ammo.

Perhaps now we are going to see the final nails in the DND coffin.... drastic measures call for drastic action. Now we have a judge calling for massive changes.

Megan MacKenzie a professor of military culture, thinks the entire military command structure should be replaced, Anyone who rose through the ranks during this poisoned culture should be replaced. 

Yes they continue to come out of the woodwork, everyone has got an opinion, and none of them favor DND

Time for military to scrap harmful traditions: retired Supreme Court justice | National News | kelownadailycourier.ca

Canada's military is broken and now is a liability to the country. "that's a big statement" That's a huge moral building statement, your career and job performance across every scope is now a liability to the country. 

• 2 weeks later...

As Canada sends 'junk' to help war effort, Canadians in danger of losing interest in Ukraine fight

Why is it that the Liberals can only half-ass anything they touch, Our government response should be a reflection on what it is that our nation stands for, how important democracy is to us, and how important freedom and sovereignty are. Instead, the majority of Canadians could not give a rats ass about what is going on across the globe, shit we can not even bother defending our own country let alone take someone else to struggle seriously... A struggle that is costing thousands of lives. And we wonder why we as a nation have such a poor reputation internationally, we are a nation of talkers, not doers. This country really needs, no it craves a change of government, Liberals need to go, Canadians need to find their balls and give them a good squeeze just to see if they are still there. 

Former chief of the defence staff, retired General Rick Hillier, said Canada should be sending 250 LAV 3s, 50 Leopard tanks and 18 M777 artillery pieces, as well as supplying equipment trainers. “We need to help ensure Ukraine survives, is successful in defence of the country and can evict the Russians. Victory is the only way to end this. There is lots we can, should and need to do,” he said.

John Ivison: As Canada sends 'junk' to help war effort, Canadians in danger of losing interest in Ukraine fight (msn.com)

Edited by Army Guy

1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

Why is it that the Liberals can only half-ass anything they touch, Our government response should be a reflection on what it is that our nation stands for, how important democracy is to us, and how important freedom and sovereignty are. Instead, the majority of Canadians could not give a rats ass about what is going on across the globe, shit we can not even bother defending our own country let alone take someone else to struggle seriously... A struggle that is costing thousands of lives. And we wonder why we as a nation have such a poor reputation internationally, we are a nation of talkers, not doers. This country really needs, no it craves a change of government, Liberals need to go, Canadians need to find their balls and give them a good squeeze just to see if they are still there. 

John Ivison: As Canada sends 'junk' to help war effort, Canadians in danger of losing interest in Ukraine fight (msn.com)

Canada has no foreign policy of its own

Canada is nothing more than an American protectorate

so long as Canada obeys its masters in Washington, then Canada has met its strategic imperatives

there is no requirement for Canada to have its own military therein

never mind a requirement to arm the Ukrainians

might as well just move on, because Canada is neither here nor there

only America will shape your destiny in the end

Edited by Dougie93

• 2 weeks later...

Interview from ex-Canadian vet fighting in Ukraine. Remarks about the equipment Canada has already sent over to Ukraine calls most of it JUNK. Is this truly the best equipment we have and why are we sending junk to a nation in need. 

See what Retired gen Hillier has to say. 

Ivison: From Ukraine’s front lines, exclusive interview with a Canadian Forces veteran (msn.com)

20 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

Interview from ex-Canadian vet fighting in Ukraine. Remarks about the equipment Canada has already sent over to Ukraine calls most of it JUNK. Is this truly the best equipment we have and why are we sending junk to a nation in need. 

See what Retired gen Hillier has to say. 

Ivison: From Ukraine’s front lines, exclusive interview with a Canadian Forces veteran (msn.com)

Canada doesn't have anything to send

any equipment being sent is being cannibalized from Canadian units

there is no stockpile in the stores, Canada runs at minimum levels of supply

Canada relies on the Pentagon to top up the Canadian weapons inventory, just as much as Ukraine was

Canada is a taker not a giver, when it comes to NATO logistics

case in point, Canada makes a meagre contribution of sending 4 x M777 howitzer, not even a battery's worth

but Canada only had 36 x M777 to start off with

that's not even enough to equip the Canadian artillery, that's only two battery's for each of Canada's three regiments

Canada sent the ancient Carl Gustav, because that is the only shoulder fired anti-armour weapon Canada has

the cupboard is absolutely bare in Canada, Ukraine is already a military power which dwarfs Canada