Canada's military, how impressive it really is.

Army Guy

Here is a shocker... Defense Minister is proposing 3 options for our military, and if it comes to fruition then i will owe the entire liberal government and voters an apology...and Kudos for doing something that the country desperately needs...I'm not holding my breath, but is long over due....Now we need to fix the procurement system, before we give away any funding...as Justin promised 

Defence minister says she's considering 'aggressive options' to increase Canada's military spending (msn.com)

33 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

Now we need to fix the procurement system, before we give away any funding...as Justin promised.

We shouldn't spend a dime until we've balanced the budget and paid off...50% make that 65% of our national debt.

Either that or get the filthy stinking rich to pay for it.  Most of the money will make its way back to them anyway.

Our procurement and choices of military equipment seem terrible. We tend to buy outdated junk rather than a smaller quantity of modernized equipment. Our jets are 40 years old and our best ships are 30 years old. Should be purchasing new designs every 15-20 years for this sort of stuff. 

51 minutes ago, Nexii said:

Our procurement and choices of military equipment seem terrible. We tend to buy outdated junk rather than a smaller quantity of modernized equipment. Our jets are 40 years old and our best ships are 30 years old. Should be purchasing new designs every 15-20 years for this sort of stuff. 

I agree 100 % it would cheaper in the long run,if we bought out of country,  the problem is our procurement system is designed not to buy anything with out it taking decades...

On 3/17/2022 at 11:48 PM, eyeball said:

We shouldn't spend a dime until we've balanced the budget and paid off...50% make that 65% of our national debt.

Either that or get the filthy stinking rich to pay for it.  Most of the money will make its way back to them anyway.

Come on Eyeball that is never going to happen...

This guy has asked us atleast a dozen times since he has taken office to boost our defense spending, not sure why he think Justin is going to do anything now, although he is thinking about it...it is more than we can ask for at the moment of course comments like these are just going to cloud the issue...

Canadian Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne said Sunday he's pleased to see the options put forward by his cabinet colleague, but acknowledged there were more ways to contribute to NATO than raw spending.

NATO head urges Canada, other allies to do more on defence commitments (msn.com)

1 minute ago, Army Guy said:

Come on Eyeball that is never going to happen...

I kinda figured a nod to fiscal responsibility from a lefty would fly about a foot.  Oh well. I guess we have gotten pretty good at just pulling money out of thin air so....

Good to know we won't have to put off spending money on things like fighting climate change, reconciliation and whatnot.   

Just now, Dougie93 said:

based on how pitifully the Russians are performing against Ukrainians with barely any training at all

I would suggest that the Canadian Army, even as depleted as it is now

would be defeating the Russians on the battlefield as well

I think after this debacle it will be a long long time before Russia or anyone else thinks about trying to invade another country, never mind trying to conquer a continent from across the Arctic.

1 minute ago, eyeball said:

I think after this debacle it will be a long long time before Russia or anyone else thinks about trying to invade another country, never mind trying to conquer a continent from across the Arctic.

the Arctic is not really under threat, it's impossible to put a force up there and support it logistically

the only threat in the Arctic is Russian ballistic missile submarines hiding under the polar ice cap

at the tactical level however, relatively light & mobile forces of Ukrainians

are mauling the 3rd Generation 1980's Soviet style heavy mechanized army

the Russians are collapsing under the excessive weight of their forces, in a logistical sense

so actually, a Brigade Group of Canadians with LAV 6.0 & Javelin missiles would be mauling these Russians too

19 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I kinda figured a nod to fiscal responsibility from a lefty would fly about a foot.  Oh well. I guess we have gotten pretty good at just pulling money out of thin air so....

Good to know we won't have to put off spending money on things like fighting climate change, reconciliation and whatnot.   

Sure, it is the left that has spent well over 400 bil dollars in the last 2 years, with another 100 bil waiting in the wings.. sorry don't talk to me about being fiscally responsible, plus ass in a whole new slew of social programs that " do we really need" at this time... And it is not all about military expenditures that are suffering, it is everything across the board, Premiers are begging more funding for health care, education, infra structure spending which already has 10 of billions in accounts already, No i think the entire country is done with the lefts fiscal responsibility... but who knows the left likes Justin and his crowd of Brainiac's...

Sure, it is the left that has spent well over 400 bil dollars in the last 2 years, with another 100 bil waiting in the wings.. sorry don't talk to me about being fiscally responsible, plus ass in a whole new slew of social programs that " do we really need" at this time... And it is not all about military expenditures that are suffering, it is everything across the board, Premiers are begging more funding for health care, education, infra structure spending which already has 10 of billions in accounts already, No i think the entire country is done with the lefts fiscal responsibility... but who knows the left likes Justin and his crowd of Brainiac's...

I have absolutely zero doubt that conservatives would gleefully go even further overboard for military spending.

3 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I wonder what sort of effect civilians who were given guns and Molotov cocktails to fight with is having against the invasion.

the Ukrainians are actually counterattacking on three fronts

they have been using their 152mm howitzers & 122mm rockets to great effect

they have been decimating the Russian columns with Javelin & NLAW

they have been terrorizing the Russians with their Turkish made Barayktar TB2 armed drones

so they have not yet been forced to an insurgency of Molotov cocktails

because as of right now, the Ukrainians are winning the conventional maneuver war

a stalemate being a strategic win for the Ukrainians, as it is unsustainable for the Russians

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

at the tactical level however, relatively light & mobile forces of Ukrainians

are mauling the 3rd Generation 1980's Soviet style heavy mechanized army

the Russians are collapsing under the excessive weight of their forces, in a logistical sense

so actually, a Brigade Group of Canadians with LAV 6.0 & Javelin missiles would be mauling these Russians too

Sure but the Ukrainians also have air defenses, a huge arty reserves, fighter aircraft that are light years ahead of ours, they have modern tanks and IFV, compared to Canada's mere 40 main battle tanks, and only enough LAV's for 2 companies per bn , not really set up for success, but the quality of our troops might make up for the difference, if we used captured equipment.......Ukraine's have  much greater numbers than we could even dream of...we could perhaps hold onto a brigade chunk of land for a while, until attacked by the air, or mass assault by ground...

Don't get me wrong Royals would defiantly make a huge dent in any Russian force, that they faced but in the end we would all be attending a lot of funerals of good friends and good people...and 2 days later most Canadians would have forgotten their sacrifice, and moved on to the play offs, and the price of gas..

Sure but the Ukrainians also have air defenses, a huge arty reserves, fighter aircraft that are light years ahead of ours, they have modern tanks and IFV, compared to Canada's mere 40 main battle tanks, and only enough LAV's for 2 companies per bn , not really set up for success, but the quality of our troops might make up for the difference, if we used captured equipment.......Ukraine's have  much greater numbers than we could even dream of...we could perhaps hold onto a brigade chunk of land for a while, until attacked by the air, or mass assault by ground...

Don't get me wrong Royals would defiantly make a huge dent in any Russian force, that they faced but in the end we would all be attending a lot of funerals of good friends and good people...and 2 days later most Canadians would have forgotten their sacrifice, and moved on to the play offs, and the price of gas..

Canada does not fight alone

in a pinch, Canada could access all the firepower available to the Ukrainians and more

if Canada needed some air defence, the Pentagon would FMS anything Canada needed

6 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I have absolutely zero doubt that conservatives would gleefully go even further overboard for military spending.

Why not, i mean when you already spent 400 bil what would be another couple hundard more... Australia months baxk announces a 300 bil investment in their military, light years ahead of ours, and they are a smaller population with a smaller GDP... go figure. Canadians are good with spending as long as your spending on them.. other than that they are cheap, so cheap sparks fly out their asses when they walk...

1 minute ago, Dougie93 said:

Canada does not fight alone

in a pinch, Canada could access all the firepower available to the Ukrainians and more

if Canada needed some air defence, the Pentagon would FMS anything Canada needed

I personal think , it would be a major pain in the ass to find all the missing components of anything the Canadians could put on the battle field...be better of assigning Canadians to the reserves, like gulf war I and II, and it is not the quality of our troops it is all their equipment...  things are getting pretty slim on the old infantry front, most BN 's are now down to 2 under manned companies, becasue so many are releasing, a lot of sitting on the stairs, no funding for training, and no real imagination for doing any training.... i remember a time when their was no money for fuel or bullets , we walked and walked a lot, but we still did tones of infantry shit......not today...

4 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

I personal think , it would be a major pain in the ass to find all the missing components of anything the Canadians could put on the battle field...

we are in better shape than the Russians

one major platform for the army : LAV 6.0

one major platform for the navy : FFH-330

one major platform for the air force : CF-18

from a logistical standpoint, Canada's logistics are quite simple

and all war is logistics in the end

the Russian military is so dysfunctional, they make the Canadians Forces look very good by comparison

don't forget

the Russian GDP was $1.48 trillion before their economy was sent into a spiral, including their debt being seized

meanwhile, Canada's GDP is $1.64 trillion, with full access to any weapons in the NATO arsenal

so when it comes to logistics, Canada is actually more powerful than Russia

4 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Canada already spends a huge amount of money on DND

most of it just gets wasted on boondoggles

but the money is there, should Canada actually need to buy some weapons for a change

Well we have one of the largest coast lines, one of the largest land masses, And yet we have one of the smallest army components. even after Justin creative budgeting to get us to 1.4 % GDP, which includes the RCMP budget, along with emergency preparedness, plus a ton more...i think we can squeeze a little more  into defense...for a G-8 nation...

I agree 100 %, but thats what happens when me have politicians picking out our equipment for us...Used F-18's, Tapv, bastardized LAV 6.0 and a lot more...The entire purchasing department in both PWSG and DND needs to be bulldozed and rebuilt, before any new buys or funding...