Canada's military, how impressive it really is.

Army Guy

This is another story on our Armed Forces, read between the lines and you'll find out just how much our current military is suffering... Currently there will be 2000 soldier/ airmen/navy members deployed and our military is stress out, with the minister declaring DND is over tasked, This is not new it was the same way in Afghanistan, a battle group of about 1500 and at one time 3000 soldiers meant soldiers were deploying every 1 1/2 with the average soldier having 3 tours 5 to 8 tours were not uncommon. Thats in combat, with the Taliban, combat with the Russians is going to be 1000 times tougher... 

But back then we had close to 70,000 troops today they have 60,000 with 10,000 of those sick, hurt, or unfit for duty... Why can we only deploy 2000 is the question you should be asking.... If we are 21st on the world scale for our military, i'd hate to see 22 and. 

(1) Canada considering sending military reinforcements to NATO in eastern Europe: Anand - National | Globalnews.ca

• Like 1

Justin has announced that may consider now sending 3400 more troops or a battle group, which is half a brigade. plus they are sending fighter aircraft and naval vessels... Wonder how a 40 year old f-18 will do against Russians new aircraft..

Not a lot when facing 150,000 Russian troops with modern equipment...

On 2/23/2022 at 6:48 PM, Army Guy said:

But back then we had close to 70,000 troops today they have 60,000 with 10,000 of those sick, hurt, or unfit for duty... Why can we only deploy 2000 is the question you should be asking.... If we are 21st on the world scale for our military, i'd hate to see 22 and. 

21st in the world for what?  Spending?

Canada has little/no force projection capabilities and has to rely on allies for logistics and often transport.  We've virtually no independent operational capability and (I would imagine) wouldn't be even be capable of defending our own soil if anyone ever invaded. 

Canada not spending its military dollars wisely is one of the oldest stories I know.  From what I understand, the soldiers themselves are well trained and motivated, and we have some fairly good equipment in different places, but the whole apparatus seems to be built on the assumption that the Americans will and our other allies will look after a lot of the...details for us.  

Judging our military based on spending as a % of GDP or gross amount is deceptive, because salaries are such a big part of it. Russia spends 3x what we do yet they have 20x the troops. We should look at our number of troops, planes, ships etc per capita vis a vis other allies and rivals.

And yea the other issue as noted is that spending doesn't equal effectiveness if you are wasteful...

Edited by Nexii
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Nexii said:

Judging our military based on spending as a % of GDP or gross amount is deceptive, because salaries are such a big part of it. Russia spends 3x what we do yet they have 20x the troops. We should look at our number of troops, planes, ships etc per capita vis a vis other allies and rivals.

And yea the other issue as noted is that spending doesn't equal effectiveness if you are wasteful...

If you have an all volunteer force you need to make it attractive for people to join and that includes decent pay. 

2 minutes ago, Nexii said:

A lot of countries still have universal male conscription. (I'm sure you know the drill: every male serves for 1-3 years from 18 and then they're basically 'reservists' until they're about 60. They come back for training for about 1 month every few years)

I worked with a guy from Turkey who lived here but he actually went back home to do meet his reservist obligations.

It's a low-cost way to have strong military capability with a much lower bill than we have here, where most of our soldiers are full-time.  

11 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

A lot of countries still have universal male conscription. (I'm sure you know the drill: every male serves for 1-3 years from 18 and then they're basically 'reservists' until they're about 60. They come back for training for about 1 month every few years)

I worked with a guy from Turkey who lived here but he actually went back home to do meet his reservist obligations.

It's a low-cost way to have strong military capability with a much lower bill than we have here, where most of our soldiers are full-time.  

Lower cost for spending, but not working for a few years is a significant loss of economic activity and tax revenue. I'm sure the net still works out cheaper but conscription is still expensive in developed countries.

We probably couldn't have conscription without Quebec separating though, to be realistic

12 minutes ago, Nexii said:

Lower cost for spending, but not working for a few years is a significant loss of economic activity and tax revenue. I'm sure the net still works out cheaper but conscription is still expensive in developed countries.

We probably couldn't have conscription without Quebec separating though, to be realistic

And yet Scandinavian countries and Switzerland have very high standards of living.

1 minute ago, Aristides said:

And yet Scandinavian countries and Switzerland have very high standards of living.

South Korea, Singapore, Israel, Taiwan, Estonia, Lithuania too

Though all these countries have hostile neighbours. We don't consider Russia a 'neighbour' though maybe we should now

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nexii said:

We'd have to pay them, and maybe it could be for 6 months or 1 year. Still worth it.

The have their own Van Doo Regiment, with a pretty proud history I might add, it shouldn't be hard to sell that to separatists. 

The 22nd are all grunts (government rejects unfit for naval training - ? to army guy, yz and D93) but they could get AF training (kind of homo-erotic, but I'm not judging) which has very valuable training for the civilian world, or they could man-up and join the few, the proud, and the elite in the navy. 

2 hours ago, Faramir said:

Drafts create bad soldiers.  What we need is to cut funding to snowmobile makers and use that for that military.

I agree 100%.  I hate snowmobilers.  You can draft each and every one of them and send them to Afghanistan, dirt bikers too.

5 hours ago, Faramir said:

Drafts create bad soldiers.  What we need is to cut funding to snowmobile makers and use that for that military.

It's not a draft. People have to get trained to be part of the military. Not everyone has to be a soldier, you need cooks, medics, mechanics, etc to keep your military going. When you get to choose from all of the men in a country you can build up lots of good regiments and support personnel. 

How to get people into the military? Not like this.

Decorated veteran of Afghanistan with battle injuries tells his story about being attacked, beaten and dumped in the countryside by the police in Ottawa.

https://rumble.com/vvennk-canadian-veteran-violently-arrested-by-police-in-ottawa-tells-his-story.html

He was injured in an IED blast that killed 3 others.

Pretend he is the baddie.

Edited by DogOnPorch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

How to get people into the military? Not like this.

Decorated veteran of Afghanistan with battle injuries tells his story about being attacked, beaten and dumped in the countryside by the police in Ottawa.

https://rumble.com/vvennk-canadian-veteran-violently-arrested-by-police-in-ottawa-tells-his-story.html

He was injured in an IED blast that killed 3 others.

Pretend he is the baddie.

The disrespect of our government and police towards our military veterans makes all the Remembrance Day celebrations look like shams.  Where is the Governor General in all this?  It really shows that the pageantry and placing decorations and medals on lapels is meaningless. Government and police didn’t listen to the vets.  Instead they brought aggression towards them.  What sane government does this?

Edited by Zeitgeist

9 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

The disrespect of our government and police towards our military veterans makes all the Remembrance Day celebrations look like shams.  Where is the Governor General in all this?  It really shows that the pageantry and placing decorations and medals on lapels is meaningless. Government and police didn’t listen to the vets.  Instead they brought aggression towards them.  What sane government does this?

One that prefers foreign troops be sent to Ottawa to attack veterans. That rumor seems alive and well.

Aviation types have tracked the movements of the one marked aircraft in North Bay...which were odd enough. Mostly the Middle East and Africa. But the one with the markings all blacked out is impossible to track for obvious reasons.

Just now, DogOnPorch said:

One that prefers foreign troops be sent to Ottawa to attack veterans. That rumor seems alive and well.

Aviation types have tracked the movements of the one marked aircraft in North Bay...which were odd enough. Mostly the Middle East and Africa. But the one with the markings all blacked out is impossible to track for obvious reasons.

This government forgot who they work for.  They work against the people.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

every day is remembrance day, at the going down of the sun & in the morning

but indeed, I stopped going to Remembrance Day many years ago

• Like 3