1.33m new Permanent Residents for 2024

Housing is expensive, schools are full, Hospitals are crumbling... yet the Feds want to add 1.33 million new Permanent Residents in Canada. At this point, it is adding a population the size of New Brunswick each year in the country.

This comes at a point where our economies will rely less and less on cheap labor with automization/robotization of most tasks. Rents will increase and competition for labor will put a pressure downward on salaries.

We can not sustain such massive increases for our economy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This is all being done by design. You restrict the supply of housing, and then you say immigration is wonderful for Canada, so you can push house prices way above a million, and bankrupt the working Class. Does anyone care about Traffic, and the mental illness this is causing?

Yes the wine and cheese liberal yuppies laugh to the bank. I'm glad the snobby scum in Ottawa is getting a taste of their own medicine with the non-stop honking. They deserve a nonstop headache for the nonstop headaches they have given us.

As far as i'm concerned, honk them until they have a nervous breakdown. I wouldn't just honk downtown. Drive around the rich neighborhoods, with loud soundsystems, and tell them to go F@ck themselves at 3am... Just my opinion.

Go F@ck yourself liberal scum of Ottawa LoL

Edited by TrudeauSucks

A moderate number of immigrant around 150,000 per year would be better so that new immigrants can be gradually absorbed. Anything above that is extreme. Also selectivity is important. We don't want to see in Canada what we see in parts of Europe where culturally different immigrants from North Africa and Middle East causing social issues.  So adoptability must be given more weight in selecting future immigrants.

Edited by CITIZEN_2015
  • Thanks 1

I agree 100 %, our leadership think that these increases are the magic numbers that will solve all our problems.., but this just increases the load else where, like housing , jobs etc...what we need is major investments in those areas, like housing , education, job training, infra structure... there never is a simple solution, so why are so many convinced that this is the way to go?  

• Like 1

House Price Index rose 26% in 2021, fastest pace on record

The Canadian Real Estate Association's House Price Index rose by 26.6 per cent in the 12 months up to December, the fastest annual pace of gain on record.

---

The annual inflation rate rose to 5.1 per cent in January compared with a gain for 4.8 per cent in December, Statistics Canada reported Wednesday, driven higher by prices for housing, gasoline and groceries.

Over the same stretch, wages rose by 2.4 per cent, a gap in purchasing power inflamed by rising costs for essentials like food that often hit lower-income households the hardest.

Shelter prices rose 6.2 per cent year-over-year, the fastest pace since February 1990, driven by higher prices for new homes as well as rent increases. Canada’s hot housing market should cool if the central bank hikes rates, though Nguyen said hikes alone won’t solve the problem of low supply of, and high demand for housing.

---

My take; Wages up only 2,4%, inflation at 5,1%... the poorest are the most affected according to Statistics Canada for the raises in the cost of living. Yet... The Feds want more immigrants coming not from Germany, France or Japan which are richer nations. They want more poor third world immigration from Latin America, South East Asia, the Middle East and Africa. They are those who want to move to Canada to make a better living.

At the same time, more and more jobs are being automatized, robotized, replaced totally by an algorithm. In the US, we're talking about 20 million jobs that will be replaced by techonolgy by 2030.

So, we have less and less housing available.

We have seen wages go down last year, especially for the poor.

We have seen price gouging for everything, including groceries, gas and housing, that impacts primarily the poor.

We predict less and less workers will be necessary in the future; many jobs are going to be replaced by machines.

How does it make any sense to increase immigration by 1,33 million PR by 2024? It is an economical and sociological suicide.

3 minutes ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

Yet... The Feds want more immigrants coming not from Germany, France or Japan which are richer nations. 

I would like to nip this in the bud right now.  I actually posted on here that new home build have been at a pace to keep up with immigration.  Furthermore, countries like the USA with stable levels of immigration are seeing spikes of 19%

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/28/1068587824/u-s-home-prices-went-through-the-roof-in-2021

So something else is at play.  Plenty of people have posted about the state of money laundering right now and that could be a culprit.  Also Air BnB and the phenomenon of 'empty' homes out there.

The last year for which there are stats on here show enough housing for 650K people.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1/en/tv.action?pid=3410013501

Planned new residents for 2023 is 475K

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/supplementary-immigration-levels-2022-2024.html

2 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I would like to nip this in the bud right now.  I actually posted on here that new home build have been at a pace to keep up with immigration.  Furthermore, countries like the USA with stable levels of immigration are seeing spikes of 19%

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/28/1068587824/u-s-home-prices-went-through-the-roof-in-2021

So something else is at play.  Plenty of people have posted about the state of money laundering right now and that could be a culprit.  Also Air BnB and the phenomenon of 'empty' homes out there.

Your points are certainly valid, money laundering exists and snow washing is a major problem. But it is worsened by the fact that Canada has the lowest housing units per capita in all of G7. 

In the US, prices decreased in New York during the pandemic as restrictions were higher and less immigration happened.

There is a clear link between supply and demand.

Adding an equivalent of the province of New Brunswick in Canada in less than two years will make the problem worse.

11 minutes ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

1. But it is worsened by the fact that Canada has the lowest housing units per capita in all of G7. 

2. In the US, prices decreased in New York during the pandemic as restrictions were higher and less immigration happened.

3. There is a clear link between supply and demand.

4. Adding an equivalent of the province of New Brunswick in Canada in less than two years will make the problem worse.

1. Do you mean existing or new builds ?
2. Local decreases not withstanding, a 19% overall hike with less immigration says that something is happening that is unrelated to housing people in homes.
3. Econ 101 - Supply, Demand and Price yes.  But "demand" aggregates demand for an empty house I can launder my assets through, and let it sit empty PLUS homes for families.
4. Sure but immigration is also not causing this - so if we want to talk about housing costs we need to do more about those other factors.

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

The last year for which there are stats on here show enough housing for 650K people.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1/en/tv.action?pid=3410013501

Planned new residents for 2023 is 475K

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/supplementary-immigration-levels-2022-2024.html

Your stats sound good if we where to only accounting for immigration, but your stats don't take into account old Canadians that want a new home, leaving only 225,000 new homes for the rest of the country each year. people like a young couple buying their first home, or couples that need a new home becasue of a new birth, or older couples looking to down size. I get it not everyone is going to buy a new build, but today building is way less expensive than buying an existing build. 

Housing prices increased this year alone in NB by 33 %, Homes that once sold 3 years ago, for 389.000, today it was appraised at over 700 k last month and new build home to the same specs would be 500 k with all the high end finishes you want. That alone is why people are wanting to build new ...even with todays lumber prices. The lack of contractors are what is limiting new builds atleast here in NB 

Because of this it directs most people to buy existing housing at inflated prices... people fleeing the larger provinces like Ontario, Quebec, and Alberta make up over 65 % of all home sales in the province, flush with cash they are willing to spend what ever it takes to win a bidding war. with the average going up to 50 k to 100 k over asking price. But it is pricing many people out of the market. 

Canadian Housing Market Report Jan. 17th, 2022 | Interactive Map - WOWA.ca

Not sure about Ontario but here in NB the average wait time to hire a contractor to build a new how is 1  1/2 years or more plus 6 to 8 months to build. This is due to the lack of contractors, and supply and demand. 

I can understand the money laundering thing in the big cities, but here in NB unlikely but not impossible