What are the options to remove Justin Trudeau?

7 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

Looks like it. 

Also - do people really still believe that teaching is a 'low' profession ?  Would it be ok for me to come on here and say why is "just a trucker" leading a national protest ?

Frankly I think too much academic and legal experience (Ignatieff, O'Toole) and too many connections (Trudeau, Harper) are leading to a small pool of candidates.  I would like to see more people from business (new business, that is, and business that is not exploitive, that is local - but global-aware, and not mining sorry Mulroeys) from journalism, and people who have worked in various industries or worked their way up

21 hours ago, Army Guy said:

I agree inflation is just started to go up, but where is it going to stop is the question ? Well we have spent more than 450 bil so far in the last 3 years, the printing machines must be spinning pretty fast as Justin is not done yet with many more bils to come...

There's no question the deficit spending is huge.  Where does inflation end?  Nobody can say for sure but from an economics perspective it's not going a heck of a lot further.  This is probably the high end already (not the 4.9% or whatever that's reported - the real number is probably higher) but we're not heading back to 15-20% inflation and certainly not beyond that.  One of the biggest policy levers that the Fed and BoC have to combat inflation is interest rate hikes, and they haven't even started with that.  Consider the math behind mortgages, for example.  If you wrote your mortgage for 5 years at 2.79% and interest rates jump by 1% in 2022, that's a 36% increase to the interest cost on your mortgage when you renew, or for people getting new mortgages. That will have huge deflationary pressure on the economy.  

Edited by Moonbox

22 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

I think it’s overrated. If I had to choose between a leader with no political experience and nothing but political experience, the latter would get my nod. Politics is a fiendishly difficult line of work to master. Thinking just anybody can walk in from the ‘real world’ and do better is like buying a restaurant because you like the food there. Polievre ain’t my cup of tea, obviously, but by any standard he’s well qualified for the job and has proven that. 

He's probably smart enough to learn something from the mistakes previous populists have made.  If he's really clever he'll be noticing how the trucker's convoy protest is being captured by a more extreme, international better organized right-wing sphere of influence.  If he's hoping to hitch his wagon to the convoy he's up against people who also want to hijack it for their own benefit and a more virulent form of conservatism than Canadians will ever tolerate.

Ottawa truckers' convoy galvanizes far-right worldwide

Leading Republicans, right-wing influencers and white supremacist groups have jumped at the chance to promote the standoff in Ottawa to a global audience.

https://news.google.com/search?q=Politico truckers convoy&hl=en-CA&gl=CA&ceid=CA%3Aen

In one message, posted to at least 10 channels with ties to the truckers' convoy and reviewed by POLITICO, an anonymous social media user outlined how those involved in the protests should conduct themselves, warning to avoid contact with counter-protestors.

"Do NOT try to reason with them. They are there to bait you. They have the national news outlets onsite waiting to capture people losing it," the post warned. "Any excuses to show that the truckers' convoy is violent."

It's probably already too late and the options for Trudeau are looking better the longer this goes on and the more influence outsiders have.  Unless there's some huge Canadian shift rightward Poilievre will have no choice but to lean into the centre to distance himself from the more extreme viewpoint wedging itself into place.

Edited by eyeball
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Also - do people really still believe that teaching is a 'low' profession ? 

Would it be ok for me to come on here and say why is 'just a trucker' leading a national protest ?

High school, collage, and university teachers aren't held in high esteem around here.  The trucker "leading a national protest" most likely refers to him self as 'just a trucker' . . . 

You can have all the letters of the alphabet behind your name Michael, and as many suspect, you're unable to put the left shoe on your left foot.

• Thanks 2

On 2/7/2022 at 2:40 PM, Nefarious Banana said:

High school, collage, and university teachers aren't held in high esteem around here.  The trucker "leading a national protest" most likely refers to him self as 'just a trucker' . . . 

You can have all the letters of the alphabet behind your name Michael, and as many suspect, you're unable to put the left shoe on your left foot.

Isn’t it the folks with the alphabet behind their names that actually invent and discover pretty much everything?

Without smart people studying things, you and I would be having this discussion with cans and a piece of string.

On 2/7/2022 at 5:40 PM, Nefarious Banana said:

1. High school, collage, and university teachers aren't held in high esteem around here.   

2.You can have all the letters of the alphabet behind your name Michael, and as many suspect, you're unable to put the left shoe on your left foot.

1. Well that's pretty shitty.  
2. I hold people in esteem for how they live their lives.  I appreciate teachers, scientists, doctors and sanitation workers.  I guess you don't, though.  Not much to say about that.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 6:30 AM, Michael Hardner said:

Also - do people really still believe that teaching is a 'low' profession ? 

It is a low profession by any measure.

People get into teaching because:

1) They partied too much and didn't get the degree they wanted

2) They want the time off

3) They want to work with children

Would it be ok for me to come on here and say why is "just a trucker" leading a national protest ?

It would actually make a lot of sense. Why is a trucker leading this protest? WTF is wrong with everyone else? Are truckers the best of us? 

Frankly I think too much academic and legal experience (Ignatieff, O'Toole) and too many connections (Trudeau, Harper) are leading to a small pool of candidates.  I would like to see more people from business 

Some people say that's a great idea. A terrific idea. Maybe the best idea ever. Everyone agrees.

Now you're making way too much sense.

4 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

This sounds like conspiracy nonsense.  

It's all a conspiracy.  There is no popular support for this movement and now a new spokesman Tom Marazzo now says they're willing to form a coalition with the conservatives, NDP and bloc.

You can't make this shit up...

Again - I'm in support of resistance and protest but this is just a clusterf*ck mess.  It's like the posters I have on 'ignore' all got together and wrote down their thoughts...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

It's all a conspiracy.  There is no popular support for this shit

Convoys worldwide prove you wrong. 

Very popular and that scares authoritarians.

All you can do is try to downplay it like a feeble voice in a wind.

So much depends upon a red wheelbarrow. 

Edited by DogOnPorch

47 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Well that's pretty shitty.  
2. I hold people in esteem for how they live their lives.  I appreciate teachers, scientists, doctors and sanitation workers.  I guess you don't, though.  Not much to say about that.

1)  It may be pretty shitty, but that's just the way it is here. Collage/university teachers are thought of as 'non producers' . . . clean fingernail - soft hand types.  

Just now, Nefarious Banana said:

1)  It may be pretty shitty, but that's just the way it is here. Collage/university teachers are thought of as 'non producers' . . . clean fingernail - soft hand types.  

You think everyone should just dig ditches?

I bet a lot more bridges and buildings would fall over if we didn’t have people designing them with letters behind their names…

12 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

This sounds like conspiracy nonsense.  

Trudeau is hatemongering and tilting at windmills, the MSM is piling on and pretending that the freedom convoy is a hate convoy.

It took one of Justin's own MPs to mention what's going on. That's ridiculous, but at least not all libs are nazis. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Teaching at the high school level brings generous helpings of negative feedback, and the ability to behave in a calm, cheerful and patient way to what the day brings is probably the single most important trait a politician can have. Defence matters more than offence, temperament more than intellect. By contrast, entrepreneurs aren’t used to such sober second thought and can react rather impulsively when they get the reins. In NL, Danny Williams was a spectacularly successful businessman in a hurry whose decision to go ahead with the Muskrat megaproject may yet bankrupt the province. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

24 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

1. Teaching at the high school level brings generous helpings of negative feedback, and the ability to behave in a calm, cheerful and patient way to what the day brings is probably the single most important trait a politician can have.

2. By contrast, entrepreneurs aren’t used to such sober second thought and can react rather impulsively when they get the reins.

3. In NL, Danny Williams was a spectacularly successful businessman in a hurry whose decision to go ahead with the Muskrat megaproject may yet bankrupt the province. 

1. It's a good way to study how people think, also
2. Entrepreneurs, though, are people of action who get results.  I respect that too.
3. The ideal would be someone who built a small business into a huge company - and there are indeed a few of these in Canada but few are interested in politics.

2 hours ago, Jack9000 said:

yep he was only shame of him winning  all those seats was  harper getting a majority.

I actually really liked the country with Harper in government and the NDP in opposition with Layton in charge.  A lot of great non-partisan committee work happened.  Jack was sincere, warm, hard-working, and really stood up for the little guy.  The Conservatives thought Jack could do no wrong and Harper joked that Flaherty liked Layton more than him.  I could see a similar arrangement down the road, but Singh has been too much like Trudeau.  He comes across as superior and unsullied by the workers he’s supposed to support.  Too elitist and into identity politics.  

Edited by Zeitgeist