Erin O'Toole out

The confusion about what a Conservative is goes way back to the incredible jerk (pun words carefully chosen) to the left under PET - a genuine, card carrying Commie.   Over the decades, as the LPC drifted further left to capture the NDP vote, some of the middle ground Libs drifted loosely into the Tory camp - resulting in genuine confusion at the CPC as to what the heck a Conservative in Cannuckistan really is.  An effective leader doesn't have to BE from either or any end of the CPC spectrum, he or she simply needs to BE a leader, and electable.

• Like 1

They can keep CPC and change the official name to Communist Party of Canada to out-left the Liberal-NDP alliance.  Such a party would be well aligned with current mainstream parties and could absorb all of them.  The Charter of Rights and Freedoms is already ignored so might as well remove it.  Beef up the vaccine passports to include a cheaper one-size fits all health program.  The rich and anyone highly skilled will flee the country, bringing their money with them, but at that point the remaining ideologues in the central party can seize property, which was never constitutionally protected anyway.  When the people protest, simply humiliate them as extremists and jail them.  They don’t have any rights anyway.  Further control people’s movements and behaviour through the digital passports and surveillance to prevent opposition.  We’ve got the mechanisms in place.  Don’t like it?  Assisted suicide.  It reduces greenhouse gasses.  

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cannuck said:

An effective leader doesn't have to BE from either or any end of the CPC spectrum, he or she simply needs to BE a leader, and electable.

Interesting perspective, thanks.  Mulroney got an incredible 50%+ of the popular vote, and nobody knew what he was going to be like...

1 hour ago, PIK said:

If we go hard right, I am done.

Well they already passed on Bernier, so that's out as well. This party does not have a cohesive vision, and they are their own biggest problem.

All Liberals need do is sit back and munch popcorn, and let them take themselves down.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Every single civil servant in the federal government that wants to keep their job.

So, they can choose to be vaccinated?  

Why the need for hyperbole?  Instead of saying “forced vaccinations”, why not tell the truth?  Does it not set enough hairs on fire?

38 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

One can choose an abortion and one can choose vaccination, correct?   Seems like bodily autonomy is doing just fine.

Choose not to get vaccinated and watch your freedoms get drastically reduced.  You’re being disingenuous, throwing ridiculous comments into the ring like a sand raider from Star Wars. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zeitgeist said:

Choose not to get vaccinated and watch your freedoms get drastically reduced.  You’re being disingenuous, throwing ridiculous comments into the ring like a sand raider from Star Wars. 

Those not 'vaxxed' pretty much run around their towns/cities dodging authorities like the French Resistance. It's pretty amusing...and sad...and also frightening.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DogOnPorch said:

Those not 'vaxxed' pretty much run around their towns/cities dodging authorities like the French Resistance. It's pretty amusing...and sad...and also frightening.

Yes and the pile-on against them by government and media is alarming.  The public is under mass hypnosis for sure, as they were under Hitler.  Repeat a message enough times, stoke fear and panic enough, take advantage of people’s exhaustion.  Our Charter of Rights and Freedoms are suspended indefinitely and there’s no guarantee of its return unless the public demands it.  The truck convoy is trying to help us do that, but government and media are discrediting them, calling them extremists.  The playbook is obvious.

1 minute ago, Zeitgeist said:

Yes and the pile-on against them by government and media is alarming.  The public is under mass hypnosis for sure, as they were under Hitler.  Repeat a message enough times, stoke fear and panic enough, take advantage of people’s exhaustion.  Our Charter of Rights and Freedoms are suspended indefinitely and there’s no guarantee of its return unless the public demands it.  The truck convoy is trying to help us do that, but government and media are discrediting them, calling them extremists.  The playbook is obvious.

the charter or rights and freedoms are not suspended stop talking   Bs . truck conway has done nothing but piss off the people of ottawa and  most of canada so goodluck with that.  

4 minutes ago, Central2022 said:

the charter or rights and freedoms are not suspended stop talking   Bs . truck conway has done nothing but piss off the people of ottawa and  most of canada so goodluck with that.  

Your attitude illustrates why Canadians are screwed.  The truckers may be the last hope.  Expect totalitarian government to continue indefinitely.  You think this way of life is free right now?  It’s a substandard joke.  Very undesirable place to be right now.  

42 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Your attitude illustrates why Canadians are screwed.  The truckers may be the last hope.  Expect totalitarian government to continue indefinitely.  You think this way of life is free right now?  It’s a substandard joke.  Very undesirable place to be right now.  

yes 10% of the truckers are our last hope lmao give me a break. the other 90% did the right thing and are doing there JOBS maybe you should be supporting them.  Life is fine I can go to the store  I can eat in public  because I did the right thing and got my needles to help protect everyone else.  :)

Edited by Central2022

14 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

I think the the CPC should offer to merge with the PPC and make the following pitch to people who voted Liberal but don’t like restrictions: the CPC-PPC will restore liberal-democratic values and defend your Charter rights against government overreach.  Present  a more libertarian conservatism and drop the political correctness.  People are dying to hear down to earth, relatable politicians.  I actually think the Conservatives can be the workers’ party by focusing on cost of living, lower taxes for working people, and supporting essential workers.  

I generally agree.  I also think while the party is never going to advance on abortion issues it should still value diversity of opinion and not mock or punish members that are pro-life. And they need to champion the idea that ALL religions should be subject to scrutiny.  Not special protections for one religion - Islam. A citizen should be entitled to dislike ANY ideology they find disagreeable. Not be dragged away by the RCMP because they happen to dislike Mohammed.

4 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

if you can't define what the base is

or who I am

then how will you know who they are catering too?

Actual conservatives probably comprise of 10% of the population, or maybe 1 in 3 CPC voters.  The other 2 in 3 are moderates and people who really are liberal but just don't realize it.  It took me many decades to understand this and I think I was too hard on Harper for not being conservative enough.  There is just no market for conservative thought it Canada - see how fabulously Sun News failed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cannuck said:

The confusion about what a Conservative is goes way back to the incredible jerk (pun words carefully chosen) to the left under PET - a genuine, card carrying Commie.   Over the decades, as the LPC drifted further left to capture the NDP vote, some of the middle ground Libs drifted loosely into the Tory camp - resulting in genuine confusion at the CPC as to what the heck a Conservative in Cannuckistan really is.  An effective leader doesn't have to BE from either or any end of the CPC spectrum, he or she simply needs to BE a leader, and electable.

It's a matter of the population, worldwide, shifting leftward.  Voters these days are far more leftist than say the 1980s.  The CPC only LOOKS conservative because anyone equivalent to Mitt Romney appears as conservative from their perspective.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Central2022 said:

yes 10% of the truckers are our last hope lmao give me a break. the other 90% did the right thing and are doing there JOBS maybe you should be supporting them.  Life is fine I can go to the store  I can eat in public  because I did the right thing and got my needles to help protect everyone else.  :)

Many of the truckers are like me, fully-vaccinated.  This is about freedom, bitch.  (I’m not calling you a bitch.  I just like the effect.)

Edited by Zeitgeist

1 hour ago, Faramir said:

I generally agree.  I also think while the party is never going to advance on abortion issues it should still value diversity of opinion and not mock or punish members that are pro-life. And they need to champion the idea that ALL religions should be subject to scrutiny.  Not special protections for one religion - Islam. A citizen should be entitled to dislike ANY ideology they find disagreeable. Not be dragged away by the RCMP because they happen to dislike Mohammed.

Maybe Leslyn Lewis is the right pick.  Lewis or Polievre would be great.  

4 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Maybe Leslyn Lewis is the right pick.  Lewis or Polievre would be great.  

Honestly I took a hiatus from Canadian politics when Trudeau got into power so I am not really all that cognizant of the movers and shakers in the conservative movement now.   FWIW I did vote for Toole, but now regret my vote.

I want to see someone who makes mince meet out of the sucky Trudeau fanboys when they start trying to slam the Conservatives on abortion rights, climate change, and identity politics.  How refreshing it would be to hear a politician say they’re against it.  Even Liberal Chrétien said he was against it but the courts decided abortion rights.  

I think with the right arguments carbon taxes are easily discredited.  Have to come up with some kind of policy to “fight climate change.”   “Green tax credit” and “Green Building Code” could work.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

22 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Many of the truckers are like me, fully-vaccinated.  This is about freedom, bitch.  (I’m not calling you a bitch.  I just like the effect.)

yea but most of them in ottawa are not.  we have freedom jesus if there wasn't freedom the trucks wouldn't  be allowed to have the words **** trudeau on them.. just because you got to wear a mask  and  watch how many people you are  with doesn't mean you lost your freedom.. it just makes you selffish at this point for arguing it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Central2022 said:

yea but most of them in ottawa are not.  we have freedom jesus if there wasn't freedom the trucks wouldn't  be allowed to have the words **** trudeau on them.. just because you got to wear a mask  and  watch how many people you are  with doesn't mean you lost your freedom.. it just makes you selffish at this point for arguing it.

No, vaccine mandates are pure evil Stalinist af.  Vaccine passports are Orwellian and creepy, sick and sadistic.  Total Charter violation.  

Edited by Zeitgeist