Squaring The Silicon Circle

Charles Anthony

5 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

For comparison - please note that they print DO NOT EAT on silica packs that come in purchased electronics boxes.

That is funny --- please note that they put silica packs in comestible products too. How is that circle squared?

23 minutes ago, Charles Anthony said:

Mine says:  "DO NOT EAT - Contains A Harmless Solution for Humidity Control" on the label. 

So is that more intelligent or less intelligent than just DO NOT EAT ?

Maybe it should say NO PUT IN MOUTH BAD TUM TUM

What should be emerging is that a 'consumer' and a 'citizen' are two entirely separate abstractions in terms of how they are treated.  And yet 100% of the population are citizens and 100% are consumers.

How do you square THAT circle ?

You do it by giving people the choice to engage with their responsibilities instead of expecting it of them.  And by making that choice.  Do you want to read about trade agreements, climate change and identity issues in detail ?  

Person 1: Sounds boring, I want to play video games instead.  OK - you are opting out - fair enough
Person 2: Sounds amazing, I want to go on MLW and engage with Charles !.  Ok - you are opting in - we'll be polling you on policy issues.

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

So is that more intelligent or less intelligent than just DO NOT EAT ?

That depends on the intent of the writer. It is less intelligent than having nothing written upon it at all. Nothing was written on the outside packaging indicating that a CrackerJack surprise awaits.

Wile E. Coyote holding a HELP sign before falling off a cliff certainly seems like more intelligent humor.

The writing is clearly suspect. I do not know the intent of the writer nor do I know whether I am the intended audience either. Perhaps the intent was to identify customers with a particular sense of humor.

If the intent of the writer is to confuse or to deceive people, then it is better than DO NOT EAT alone. If the intent is to pre-program a particular demographic to accept the next phase of commercial marketing technologies and behaviors, I would consider it to be genius. It was made in the U.S.A. with only French and English labeling.

Maybe it should say NO PUT IN MOUTH BAD TUM TUM

That is funny --- I can not imagine why a consumer of electronics would think he could try eating the things falling loosely in a box.  I thought nerds were smart.  Alas, they need the same warning as the rest of us. 

I buy CrackerJacks because I want a non-comestible object surprise. The box is labeled. That was not the case with my humidity sachet surprise.  Was the electronics box clearly labeled? 

My cave-man brain tells me that maybe it should say NO-PUT-IN-MOUTH-BAD-TUM-TUM THINGAMAJIGGER INSIDE on the outside label instead of making it a surprise after the purchase and after the seal is broken on a comestible product. 

I like analogies.  Can electronics be returned for refund after the box is opened? 

What should be emerging is that a 'consumer' and a 'citizen' are two entirely separate abstractions in terms of how they are treated.  And yet 100% of the population are citizens and 100% are consumers.

How do you square THAT circle ?

I would start by leaving them all alone but you could ask "WHO?"

After figuring out who is treating the population, work on asking them WTF? WHY?!? WHERE Are You Anyways? and then finish it off with HOW The Hell Did You Think You Would Get Away With That??  That should be more than enough. 

If you are looking for methods to control people, I wish you bad luck.

You do it by giving people the choice to engage with their responsibilities instead of expecting it of them.  And by making that choice.  Do you want to read about trade agreements, climate change and identity issues in detail ?  

Unfortunately, it seems like I must. The people who present themselves publicly as responsible or knowledgeable are untrustworthy actors and terrible comedians. 

1 hour ago, Charles Anthony said:

1. That is funny --- I can not imagine why a consumer of electronics would think he could try eating the things falling loosely in a box.  I thought nerds were smart.  Alas, they need the same warning as the rest of us. 

2. I buy CrackerJacks because I want a non-comestible object surprise. The box is labeled. That was not the case with my humidity sachet surprise.  Was the electronics box clearly labeled?  My cave-man brain tells me that maybe it should say NO-PUT-IN-MOUTH-BAD-TUM-TUM THINGAMAJIGGER INSIDE on the outside label instead of making it a surprise after the purchase and after the seal is broken on a comestible product. 

3.I like analogies.  Can electronics be returned for refund after the box is opened? 

4.  I would start by leaving them all alone but you could ask "WHO?"  After figuring out who is treating the population, work on asking them WTF? WHY?!? WHERE Are You Anyways? and then finish it off with HOW The Hell Did You Think You Would Get Away With That??  That should be more than enough.  If you are looking for methods to control people, I wish you bad luck.

5. Unfortunately, it seems like I must. The people who present themselves publicly as responsible or knowledgeable are untrustworthy actors and terrible comedians. 

1  Buying a TV doesn't make you a nerd or smart.
2. They still make CrackerJacks ?  That's the opposite because the box tells you a lie - there are no crackers in there.
3. Yes, because they got your money already.
4. History is about control and conflict.  Trying to systemize to mitigate damage, it is a common concern.
5. Then you are in the 20% of people who are fit to vote and talk about current affairs.  

5 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

1  Buying a TV doesn't make you a nerd or smart.

It is certainly less intelligent than holding a sign up that says HELP for everybody in the neighborhood to see. 

5 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

5. Then you are in the 20% of people who are fit to vote and talk about current affairs.  

Do you know anybody who is hiring?

On 1/30/2022 at 3:38 PM, Michael Hardner said:

50,000 trucks...

Somehow that got posted in the wrong thread. Or maybe not... it is hard to tell.

They seek to amplify the bad news, and in doing so actually become broadcasters of the voice of the fringe themselves.

Presumably, this is done to scare the shit out of you. Fear is safety, safety is fear.

"Instructions" can be too highly prescriptive. They presume a basic level of idiocy.

But the more instructions you put on it, the harder it gets too read. That's the paradox.

It's like the safety board at our workplace. It has so many government-prescribed posters and documents on it, it's hard too read. Especially when you want find important information during an actual emergency.

Edited by OftenWrong
sp.

17 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

1. They seek to amplify the bad news, and in doing

2. so actually become broadcasters of the voice of the fringe themselves.

3. Presumably, this is done to scare the shit out of you. Fear is safety, safety is fear.

4. "Instructions" can be too highly prescriptive. They presume a basic level of idiocy. But the more instructions you put on it, the harder it gets too read. That's the paradox. It's like the safety board at our workplace. It has so many government-prescribed posters and documents on it, it's hard too read. Especially when you want find important information during an actual emergency.

1. What to emphasize is subjective... if you think they are amplifying it I can guarantee you some think they are downplaying it.  I happen to think they are emphasizing it.

2. One poll I saw said 28% support the convoy's goal.  That isn't "fringe" but the opposite sure isn't fringe either.

3. I don't think anyone is scared.  Everyone on my news feed, especially Ottawa residents, are annoyed though.  We are used to protests in the big eastern cities - there's one every weekend.  They end though.

4. Do not eat is as safe as it gets but the illiterate will still be at risk for popping a bag of silicon.  You are into the question of "design for planned usage" which is actually my #1 concern about democracy.  

How can we have a 'democracy' with a large group of people who trust authority unquestionably and a large group who distrust the same sources automatically ?  You can't have government without commonly accepted building stones of KNOWLEDGE.  In fact you can't have a community either.

This is why I'm a conservative.  I actually see VALUE in science, universities, the press, and government.

Hippie naturalists and redneck libertarians want us to go back to the middle ages when they were more valued in the community... and got important duties like dunking the witches...

2 hours ago, Charles Anthony said:

Ancient Chinese secret. 

Start with Who? What? Where? Why? and then the How? will be revealed. 

Alternatively, answer the question:  What would I do if I was the King of England???

The King is fairly ceremonial.

Who?

In most scenarios you have roughly three groups: two groups exchanging services, or in competition for rights... and a third group that governs, mitigates, arbitrates or represents a mythical 'public' interest.

Do you think that this abstraction is at all useful?

• Tell a friend

Love Repolitics.com - Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    nyralucas

• Jeary earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • Venandi went up a rank
      Apprentice
    • Gaétan earned a badge
      Very Popular
    • Dictatords earned a badge