The Public's Responsibility to Know.

eyeball

As voters in a democratic society we are responsible for the actions of the governments we empower.  I've suggested outlawing in-camera lobbying to better facilitate the right of Canadians to know what is being discussed in our names behind closed doors where power, influence and wealth mingle. I also think it would do a lot to clean up the misinformation generated by a media that is as in the dark as us and that leaves us divided and inattentive to what's really important not to mention what's actually going on.

Further to the above is not just our right to know but our responsibility to know. In actual fact our responsibility precedes our right.

Canada's rankings in the Corruption Perceptions Index have plummeted under Trudeau

Canada has come off badly again in Transparency International’s annual Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI), with the country’s score falling faster than any other in the 180-country rankings, which were released this week. Canada’s score has dropped to its lowest ever — 74 out of 100 — a slide that has cost Canada eight points over the past five years alone.

...one shudders to think what Canada’s score would be if Ottawa allowed the degree of public scrutiny that would be needed to effectively expose the rackets that move money into Canada on behalf of big-time gangsters, police-state apparatchiks and oligarchs and kleptocrats from Belarus to Beijing.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/terry-glavin-canadas-rankings-in-the-corruption-perceptions-index-have-plummeted-under-trudeau

It shouldn't be a matter of what Ottawa allows at all and there is something fundamentally flawed in believing or saying it should matter given we're the ones who are empowering Ottawa in the first place.  At the end of the day there are 38 million voters in charge of 338 MP's and only 35 of these are Cabinet Members so how hard can it really be to force a better eye on them?  I suspect that question will come down to how partisan voters decide to be but before they do it would be wise to perhaps consider that the real divide in Canada is between the powerful and the powerless.  Maybe a couple of other better questions for each of us to ask ourselves is whose side am I on and why?

Edited by eyeball
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree 100 % there should be more transparence for the entire government not just our politicians. but bureaucrats  as well.  That being said you and i both know that if the government does not want to be seen or heard they will just classify the matter or think of some other loop hole...to get what they want. The next thing  who will be watching all of this, and policing it ?  some agency or the people , how many times have you watched CPAC, i get to frustrated at the lack of answers or action it is a waste of tax payers money...

SO what happens when they get caught , right now they are above the law, when was the last time an MP was held accountable by a court of law, oh ya send me to the ethics commissionaire becasue he is big and scary. and his punishments are what again ? nothing. 

I do believe our government is long due for a massive overall , what that looks like i'm not sure, but this one does not work that well in regards to holding someone accountable for their actions, or getting anything done. 

9 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

I do believe our government is long due for a massive overall , what that looks like i'm not sure,

I think all we need is to do is make a few simple changes to the lobbying act. No need to open the constitution or change how we elect governments.

[quote]but this one does not work that well in regards to holding someone accountable for their actions, or getting anything done.[/quote]

Yes I suppose the public's presence in the room would make it a little more tricky for a pulp mill operator's lobbyist to get permission to double the effluent they discharge but...good.

You'd preserve the status quo to protect that in lieu of trying to prevent doing anything about the corruption mentioned in the OP Nat Post article?

The thing is that judges are nominated in our country. I remember the crazy corruption scandals of the early 2000s to mid 2010s in Québec for instance, where the judges who had to give judgments were nominated by the Prime Minister. Guess how many government officials were condemned excepted Tony Tomassi.

5 hours ago, eyeball said:

I think all we need is to do is make a few simple changes to the lobbying act. No need to open the constitution or change how we elect governments.

[quote]but this one does not work that well in regards to holding someone accountable for their actions, or getting anything done.[/quote]

Yes I suppose the public's presence in the room would make it a little more tricky for a pulp mill operator's lobbyist to get permission to double the effluent they discharge but...good.

You'd preserve the status quo to protect that in lieu of trying to prevent doing anything about the corruption mentioned in the OP Nat Post article?

MY point is That what ever camera can be turned on they can also be turned off so we don't see or hear that conversation or that conversation would be moved to say a fancy hotel, or outdoor venue...Maybe you could just say no lobbing at all, you could put in all the security devices you want to listen , see, on the hill but will it stop all this corruption. Maybe they need a separate agency to monitor everything they do...

2 hours ago, Army Guy said:

MY point is That what ever camera can be turned on they can also be turned off so we don't see or hear that conversation or that conversation would be moved to say a fancy hotel, or outdoor venue...Maybe you could just say no lobbing at all, you could put in all the security devices you want to listen , see, on the hill but will it stop all this corruption.

Lobbying is perfectly legal and should remain so. MY point is to make evading public oversight in the manner you've mentioned a crime.    

Maybe they need a separate agency to monitor everything they do...

Maybe just use something like a contact tracing app that lets us know when a lobbyist and a government official are within shouting distance of one another.  What happens then?  Anyone else have any ideas?

Also, something has to be done about the 5 o'clock liars telling lies at 5 o'clock on Canadian and American television. Also in Print.

It's hard to get to upset about the lack of responsibility from the gullibles when they're operating on BS information.

Might be nice to have better Canadian representation from actual conservatives or what leftist "factcheckers" call the far right, too. Just to keep em' honest, you understand. Responsibility has to be built on honesty.

Edited by Infidel Dog