FDA closes monoclonal antibody clinics in Florida, DeSantis seeks reversal

Infidel Dog

"

Monoclonal antibody sites throughout Florida will be closed after the Food and Drug Administration adjusted its authorization for the COVID-19 treatment.

The new FDA policy only allows those "likely to have been infected with or exposed to a variant that is susceptible to these treatments" to receive the new medication, despite Florida's leadership advocating for its use among the populace.

"This indefensible edict takes treatment out of the hands of medical professionals and will cost some Americans their lives," Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said in a Monday statement. "There are real-world implications to Biden's medical authoritarianism — Americans' access to treatments is now subject to the whims of a failing president."

DeSantis claimed in a Tuesday tweet that the Biden administration revoked the authorization "without a shred of clinical evidence."

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/fda-florida-monoclonal-antibodies

There's also this from the less mainstream Post Millenial:

"

As a result of the @US_FDA's abrupt decision to remove the EUAs for two monoclonal antibodies, monoclonal antibody treatment sites will be closed until further notice. Full press release is below. pic.twitter.com/RGeWTPwxCs

— Florida Dept. of Health (@HealthyFla) January 25, 2022

"This evening, without any advanced notice, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) revised the Emergency Use Authorization (EUA)...The revised EUAs do not allow providers to administer these treatments within the United States," the statement reads.

"Unfortunately, as a result of this abrupt decision made by the federal government, all monoclonal antibody state sites will be closed until further notice...Florida disagrees with the decision that blocks access to any available treatments in the absence of clinical evidence."

The FDA is trying to make it so that people in Florida die of Covid. They’ll kill people to harm Republicans. Steel yourselves for the evil that is being unleashed. https://t.co/hP55vngVbh

— Cernovich (@Cernovich) January 25, 2022

The FDA said Monday the antibody drugs from Regeneron and Eli Lilly should no longer be used because the treatments are unlikely to be effective against the omicron variant, The Associated Press reports.

Florida Republican Governor Ron DeSantis has heavily promoted antibody drug treatments as a signature part of his administration's COVID-19 response, setting up infusion sites and lauding them at news conferences, while also encouraging Floridians to get vaccinated.

Last September, DeSantis slammed the Biden administration for withholding monoclonal antibody treatments from the state, telling Floridians that he will fight "come hell or high water" to get those treatments for his residents.

DeSantis explained that when it became apparent that the treatment was working, the Biden administration took over control of the supply of Regeneron, one of the monoclonal antibody treatments, and cut Florida's supply.

https://thepostmillennial.com/fda-prohibits-florida-from-using-monoclonal-antibody-treatments

4 hours ago, Aristides said:

They are starting to drop everywhere. Florida's death rate is 3.8 times Ontario.

Didn't we do this before? I believe we did (or maybe it was somebody else). Whoever it was we talked the uselessness of comparing states to provinces or provinces to countries. Whatever. That doesn't appear to matter to you. OK, let's try it this way. You seem to be comparing fatality rates which I believe is the percentage of total cases for the length of the pandemic.

But the issue here is the use of Monoclonal antibodies since late August. Trump bought the stock of available MCA's after they cured him and made them available to the states. Florida was experiencing the Delta wave in August, 2021. It was hitting Florida hard. So Governor Desantis (who was also cured of covid by MCA's) started opening up centers that made Monoclonal antibodies available to the infected starting in late August. Deaths plummeted to the  point Florida was experiencing the lowest death rate in America with the exception of Alaska.

I won't bother checking your stats because they're meaningless. You're comparing apples to oranges and you're ignoring the central point. Monoclonal antibodies worked. Florida was able to open up and do better than states that didn't. That's why the Biden administration is trying so hard to see Florida doesn't have access to MCAs. It makes them look bad that an unmandated blue state is doing so well. Also Desantis may run for President in 2024 and they don't want him saving lives and looking good. 

Ontario should try the Florida model though. Too bad they're too cheap. With an open economy Ontario could afford MCA's. They should consider that, and save lives.

Edited by Infidel Dog

9 hours ago, Infidel Dog said:

I guess a human life is worth more to Governor DeSantis than it is to you. Oh well...I guess that's why he's a great Governor and you're not.

DeSantis doesn't want to anything to stop the spread but expects the federal government to pay for the consequences. He is an asshole and you are a hypocrite.

DeSantis saves lives and you don't like it because Biden is killing Floridians by depriving them of their medicine and you would prefer nobody noticed because it casts shade on your ideology.

What does that make you? A participant in evil, I think. Willing ignorance or pretending not to notice is no excuse.

Edited by Infidel Dog
  • Like 3

DeSantis opens everything up so people can run around infecting each other and then he expects the feds to pick up the tab for very expensive medicines to treat them. He is an asshole and you are a hypocrite.

On edit.

If DeSantis doesn't care how many people are infected, why would he actually care if they get treated?

Elementary logic

Edited by Aristides

What bullshit. The FDA removed emergency approval (emergency approval, you know that thing you hated about vaccines) because manufacturers are saying it's effectiveness against Omricon is highly questionable. FDA says approval may be reinstated if further studies show it is effective. It isn't just Florida. 

Get out of your GD echo chambers for a day or two, you might find it refreshing.

Edited by Aristides

22 hours ago, Aristides said:

DeSantis doesn't want to anything to stop the spread but expects the federal government to pay for the consequences. He is an asshole and you are a hypocrite.

How can you post this with a clean conscience?

We have all seen the success Florida has had with The Rona. Why would anyone be so...evil...as to condemn what's proven to work great?

Please explain yourself? I would hate to have to think there are actually people who would rather see people die, than deviate from the prescription of the federal government which appears to be...much less effective.

3 hours ago, Nationalist said:

How can you post this with a clean conscience?

We have all seen the success Florida has had with The Rona. Why would anyone be so...evil...as to condemn what's proven to work great?

Please explain yourself? I would hate to have to think there are actually people who would rather see people die, than deviate from the prescription of the federal government which appears to be...much less effective.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-monoclonal-antibodies-omicron-fda-florida/

My conscience is clear.

Edited by Aristides

18 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

So was Stalin's. So was Mao's. So was Pol Pot's.

And I only leave out the obvious guy because I don't want to get into another pointless discussion on that Godwin clown.

Same thing.

Stopping treatments that don't work is now one step away from purges, gulags, cultural revolutions and killing fields.

Vaccines don't work on Omicron. So I guess you're on our side now as far as getting rid of the mandates and compliance passes. Come to think of it cloth masks have never worked.

But it sounds like you want to take it even further. By your logic you want to ban vaccines until we see what you earlier called "further studies."

Just joking to make a point. I know what you really want. You just want to ban MCAs and other useful therapeutics to purge the voter rolls of non-compliant types. Right, Adolf?

Edited by Infidel Dog

2 hours ago, Infidel Dog said:

Vaccines don't work on Omicron. So I guess you're on our side now as far as getting rid of the mandates and compliance passes. Come to think of it cloth masks have never worked.

But it sounds like you want to take it even further. By your logic you want to ban vaccines until we see what you earlier called "further studies."

Just joking to make a point. I know what you really want. You just want to ban MCAs and other useful therapeutics to purge the voter rolls of non-compliant types. Right, Adolf?

They do with boosters. I don't want to ban anything that works. FDA is trying to increase the supply of Remdesivir to compensate because it does work. Problem with that is, well it's in the article.

Edited by Aristides

• Tell a friend

Love Repolitics.com - Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    nyralucas

• Jeary earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • Venandi went up a rank
      Apprentice
    • Gaétan earned a badge
      Very Popular
    • Dictatords earned a badge