Trucker's Convoy

West

What has happened to her is a personal tragedy, but it also exposes the level of fear and anger coming from the Fed.

I understand some of the charges were laid retroactively, in other words were not a crime at the time they were committed. It weighs on my conscience, as a Canadian.

At the very least this case should be brought to the courts immediately. However that may not be in the government's interest. They probably do not have a solid case. Much as we are seeing in other areas, what the government did under the guise of safety from covid was illegal and they know it.

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

What has happened to her is a personal tragedy, but it also exposes the level of fear and anger coming from the Fed.

I understand some of the charges were laid retroactively, in other words were not a crime at the time they were committed. It weighs on my conscience, as a Canadian.

At the very least this case should be brought to the courts immediately. However that may not be in the government's interest. They probably do not have a solid case. Much as we are seeing in other areas, what the government did under the guise of safety from covid was illegal and they know it.

Really terrible. 

9 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

The feds have no control over local police laying charges, provincial courts or provincial judges.

I agree, it is taking far too long to go to court but, who is to blame for that? Perhaps the lawyers for the charged?  It took one guy 150 days to select a lawyer. Then the super lawyer for another  one could not provide enough evidence to get her released on breaching bail. I suspect those that are charged are dragging this whole thing

Interjecting your own personal opinion on what is going on in the courts and why is nonsensical.

2 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

The feds have no control over local police laying charges, provincial courts or provincial judges.

That may be so up front but that is not how the system actually works. If you think the PM or attorney general, or cabinet minister cannot influence a case, to the extent they can delay a trial then you live in a nice, safe dreamland where everyone is a-political, honest and true. 

52 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

That may be so up front but that is not how the system actually works. If you think the PM or attorney general, or cabinet minister cannot influence a case, to the extent they can delay a trial then you live in a nice, safe dreamland where everyone is a-political, honest and true. 

Uh, yeah...No.

I live in the real world, not the paranoiac one your seem to reside in. :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

Uh, yeah...No.

I live in the real world, not the paranoiac one your seem to reside in. :)

No need for garbage here. I think it’s fair to say you trust and put faith in government. I do not. To me government is a necessary evil that needs to be carefully controlled to actually be useful. This is from experience, not theories.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

No need for garbage here. I think it’s fair to say you trust and put faith in government. I do not. To me government is a necessary evil that needs to be carefully controlled to actually be useful. This is from experience, not theories.

I am as skeptical as the next guy. I am just  not paranoid about it.

Government is there to ensure that you, the citizen gets all the things you want and need.

And yes, it certainly need to have check and balances.

53 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

The sacred Shakled Leviathan in the Corridor of liberal-democracy.  

1 hour ago, Zeitgeist said:

The sacred Shakled Leviathan in the Corridor of liberal-democracy.  

I think ex-flyer, Queenmandy and others who give “ups” to illiberalism will be disappointed.

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/freedom-convoy-organizer-tamara-lich-to-be-released-on-bail-again-1.6003103

Overnight the Rebuplicans became the true progressive freedom party.  I think a lot of this crisis “times are getting harder” BS can be tossed out with the right government.  Poilievre as PM and DeSantis as Prez.  Even Tump would be better than the status quo.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

2 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

I think ex-flyer, Queenmandy and others who give “ups” to illiberalism will be disappointed.

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/freedom-convoy-organizer-tamara-lich-to-be-released-on-bail-again-1.6003103

It's quite disgraceful that we have so called Canadians actually cheering on clear abuses of the legal system over politics. Much like the vile democrats south of the boarder

• Like 1

1 hour ago, West said:

It's quite disgraceful that we have so called Canadians actually cheering on clear abuses of the legal system over politics. Much like the vile democrats south of the boarder

Yes, exactly why Mr. Trudeau attempted to inflict a wound on the CPC by introducing dialogue on abortion rights, gun control, black lives matter and defunding police. All non-issues in Canada, but at the same time very divisive issues. He intends to use them to damage Canadian culture.

Now he’s going after Hockey Canada.

11 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Why would I be disappointed?

I have said she deserves to be in jail because she was stupid.

I have also said that the charges against her would probably be dropped or at worst, sentenced to time served.

The stupid part is was it worth it? All that time in jail? The expense? The personal restrictions? The potential harm to her career/life/movement going forward?

Edited by ExFlyer

3 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Why would I be disappointed?

I have said she deserves to be in jail because she was stupid.

I have also said that the charges against her would probably be dropped or at worst, sentenced to time served.

The stupid part is was it worth it? All that time in jail? The expense? The personal restrictions? The potential harm to her career/life/movement going forward?

She led an important movement.  What have other activist leaders felt?   Mandela was jailed a long time.  Was it worth it to him?

2 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

She led an important movement.  What have other activist leaders felt?   Mandela was jailed a long time.  Was it worth it to him?

I truly hope you are not even close to trying to compare Lich to Nelson Mandela and his struggle to gain equality for the South African peoples against apartheid and hundreds of years of racism??

That would be an insult to every South African let alone to any anti racism movement.

At best, she is equal to the turmoil (LOL) caused by the Occupy Wall Street protest.

22 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Some people believe in causes, and are willing to put themselves on the line for it.

Interesting that you think she deserves jail for stupidity, but that the charges will be dropped. Well, not really. But that could be bad for Mr. Turdeau.

She will also be a hero to some people, and may receive financial assistance as a form of “backing” for her cause.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

I truly hope you are not even close to trying to compare Lich to Nelson Mandela and his struggle to gain equality for the South African peoples against apartheid and hundreds of years of racism??

That would be an insult to every South African let alone to any anti racism movement.

At best, she is equal to the turmoil (LOL) caused by the Occupy Wall Street protest.

Oh you’re such a good person.  Activists believe in their causes whether or not you agree with their causes.  Malcolm X also spent time in jail.  Is that a better comparison for you or is he too a substantially better human being than Lich?

33 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Some people believe in causes, and are willing to put themselves on the line for it.

Interesting that you think she deserves jail for stupidity, but that the charges will be dropped. Well, not really. But that could be bad for Mr. Turdeau.

She will also be a hero to some people, and may receive financial assistance as a form of “backing” for her cause.

Yup, I did say she was in jail for stupidity and she will probably get off.

Even the judge will look at it and realize she spent 50 days in jail for being stupid and rule that would be enough punishment. LOL

And for sure she will be a hero for some people. The Occupy Wall Street leaders have hero worshippers too.

And yup, there are those that will feed low flying critters.

41 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Oh you’re such a good person.  Activists believe in their causes whether or not you agree with their causes.  Malcolm X also spent time in jail.  Is that a better comparison for you or is he too a substantially better human being than Lich?

I am far from a good person.

Lich was looking for and got news facetime and through that stupid action, got arrested.

Are you now shifting from Nelson Mandela comparison to Malcom X? You should get some facts before making absurd comparisons.

Mandela "was arrested for treason, and although acquitted he was arrested again in 1962 for illegally leaving the country. Convicted and sentenced to five years at Robben Island Prison, he was put on trial again in 1964 on charges of sabotage."

Malcom X  "involved in the street life and criminal activities of Roxbury and Harlem" and " he was arrested for the first time for allegedly stealing and pawning his half-sister's fur coat." and then "he was convicted of robbery and sentenced to 8-10 years in the Charlestown State Prison.",

Both nothing to do with protesting.

Edited by ExFlyer

33 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

I am far from a good person.

Lich was looking for and got news facetime and through that stupid action, got arrested.

Are you now shifting from Nelson Mandela comparison to Malcom X? You should get some facts before making absurd comparisons.

Mandela "was arrested for treason, and although acquitted he was arrested again in 1962 for illegally leaving the country. Convicted and sentenced to five years at Robben Island Prison, he was put on trial again in 1964 on charges of sabotage."

Malcom X  "involved in the street life and criminal activities of Roxbury and Harlem" and " he was arrested for the first time for allegedly stealing and pawning his half-sister's fur coat." and then "he was convicted of robbery and sentenced to 8-10 years in the Charlestown State Prison.",

Both nothing to do with protesting.

You don’t see how ridiculously woke and fake I think you sound.

I may not agree with everything Lich thinks or does, but I see the value of the mandate protest as a critical questioning of government overreach and loss of Charter rights.  You don’t agree with that assessment, which is fine.  Millions of Canadians do agree with that assessment.

I don’t know what Malcolm X or Mandela were like in their personal lives.  I think Mandela was a hero and Malcolm X did some heroic things, even though I may not agree with all of his views throughout his life.  For a while he didn’t accept that white people could understand or support true equality for black people.  I admire both figures for their courage.  I admire Lich as well for her courage.  Most people wouldn’t take such personal risks to fight for a cause.  I do think her cause has real and important value, because government might not have relented on oppressive mandates and restrictions without these protests.  They’re still maintaining ArriveCAN vaccine passports and mandates, so clearly government overreach is a real problem in Canada.