Trucker's Convoy

West

12 minutes ago, dialamah said:

If it wasn't a free country, he'd already have been convicted and assigned a significant jail time.

He's not in  jail for what he said.  He's in jail because he's been charged with mischief and counselling others to commit mischief, per criminal code section 430:

430 (1) Every one commits mischief who wilfully

(a) destroys or damages property;

(b) renders property dangerous, useless, inoperative or ineffective;

(c) obstructs, interrupts or interferes with the lawful use, enjoyment or operation of property; or

(d) obstructs, interrupts or interferes with any person in the lawful use, enjoyment or operation of property.

I know it surprises a lot of people that we have laws in Canada, and that breaking them has consequences.   

All subject to interpretation and overlooked in other protests. 

1 minute ago, Zeitgeist said:

All subject to interpretation and overlooked in other protests. 

Yup. So I agree the government is wrong to be keeping him in jail.  I expect that if/when this goes in front of a judge, any jail time will be "time served".  Nonetheless, I think he's got a valid complaint against the government, and who knows, maybe at some time he'll have his day in court and be vindicated.  

But the hyperbole of "not being a free country" while not even knowing why he's in jail doesn't contribute to a reasonable discussion.  Or even argument.  It's just ignorance.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Yup. So I agree the government is wrong to be keeping him in jail.  I expect that if/when this goes in front of a judge, any jail time will be "time served".  Nonetheless, I think he's got a valid complaint against the government, and who knows, maybe at some time he'll have his day in court and be vindicated.  

But the hyperbole of "not being a free country" while not even knowing why he's in jail doesn't contribute to a reasonable discussion.  Or even argument.  It's just ignorance.

I followed it closely early on.  It’s not that I don’t understand whatever silliness he was spouting or that he didn’t for a time play an organizational role in what some irresponsible commentators are retroactively calling an insurrection rather than an extended protest like Occupy Wall Street or any number of BLM protests (though the convoy wasn’t violent).   I just don’t agree with the basis for the arrests or freezing of bank accounts or imposition of a form of martial law.  There was violence in the government reaction, as well as real damage to the reputations and employability of the protesters.  The mainstream media very uncritically smeared the tenor of the protests, which were upbeat, peaceful, and inclusive.  The honking was disruptive, but that was curtailed before the Emergencies Act through an injunction.

The whole affair is a dark cloud in Canadian history.  The government and media vilification of the unvaccinated and the protesters must never be forgotten.  Injustice persists because the mandates and passports remain. 

Edited by Zeitgeist

5 hours ago, dialamah said:

If it wasn't a free country, he'd already have been convicted and assigned a significant jail time.

He's not in  jail for what he said.  He's in jail because he's been charged with mischief and counselling others to commit mischief, per criminal code section 430:

430 (1) Every one commits mischief who wilfully

(a) destroys or damages property;

(b) renders property dangerous, useless, inoperative or ineffective;

(c) obstructs, interrupts or interferes with the lawful use, enjoyment or operation of property; or

(d) obstructs, interrupts or interferes with any person in the lawful use, enjoyment or operation of property.

I know it surprises a lot of people that we have laws in Canada, and that breaking them has consequences.   

Look at that list and try to tell me that 300,000 people didn't do all that and worse during the BLM riots. Then Dem politicians bailed them out of jail. Gimme a break. 

e have political prisoners in Canada now, no joke. Just think about what that says about our country. 

7 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

Look at that list and try to tell me that 300,000 people didn't do all that and worse during the BLM riots. Then Dem politicians bailed them out of jail. Gimme a break. 

e have political prisoners in Canada now, no joke. Just think about what that says about our country. 

Bottom line is he is still in jail because he has trouble getting or finding a lawyer to represent him in a bail hearing. Bail hearing, not a trial.

Is that a personal problem or is it a problem with lawyers? There are enough ambulance chasers out there that will take anything and anybody but, this guy cannot find one?

No joke here, Just think about what that says about him.

Edited by ExFlyer

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

People got arrested during the BLM riots.  Were you on here saying that somebody wasn't "free" ?

There was no violence aside from the police toward a group of peaceful protesters and the lil lefties running over people for disagreeing with them

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

People got arrested during the BLM riots.  Were you on here saying that somebody wasn't "free" ?

If playing stupid was an olympic event, that would be the record-setting, gold medal performance of the millennium.

Are you honestly pretending to not know why people ended up in jail at the BLM riots? I'll give you a bunch of hints, because somehow you need them:

-Assaulted civilians.

-People beaten to death.

-Buildings looted.

-Buildings burned down.

-Police officers assaulted. 

"HIGH-RANKING GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS NEED TO ORGANIZE THE CITIZENS TO HELP GET THESE PEOPLE OUT ON BAIL THE VERY NEXT DAY!" - Michael Hardner

Compare that list with:

-Mischief - "Affecting the ability of people to enjoy their property". 

"LOCK THESE PEOPLE UP WITHOUT BAIL!" - Michael Hardner

15 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

1. Are you honestly pretending to not know why people ended up in jail at the BLM riots? I'll give you a bunch of hints, because somehow you need them:

-Assaulted civilians.

-People beaten to death.

-Buildings looted.

-Buildings burned down.

-Police officers assaulted. 

"HIGH-RANKING GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS NEED TO ORGANIZE THE CITIZENS TO HELP GET THESE PEOPLE OUT ON BAIL THE VERY NEXT DAY!" - Michael Hardner

1. And the convoy was arrested for disturbing the peace and inciting the takeover of the Ambassador Bridge.  Next.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

-They said that shop owners were being threatened and harassed into closing but it was actually the gov't that wanted the shops closed so that truckers couldn't buy things there.

Wellington was still closed down - by the government - up til a few days ago.  Not sure if they have opened up yet or not, but I read that business owners there were starting to get upset.  And not with the convoy.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. And the convoy was arrested for disturbing the peace and

The fact that you have to mention "disturbing the peace" that is telling

inciting the takeover of the Ambassador Bridge.  Next.

OOOOHHHHH NOOOOO! 

Can you please tell me why I should give a rip? It was a protest. Stuff happens.

Trudeau took people's jobs away indefinitely - they were off work before the bridge was closed and they're still off work. They've been down 100% of their income this whole time. By contrast, the Ambassador Bridge was briefly closed, our trade with the US was down by 25% for a few days, and people suddenly cared. Sorry, I'm not sorry.

The CEO of CP wants to shut down a national rail line. That's more than 25% of our economy right there. Should we get him trampled by horses, held down and beaten by cops, doxx him so that people come to his house and threaten him, threaten to take his dogs and kill them, freeze his bank accounts and then put him in jail without bail? 

Did those things happen at the blockade at Oka, or the FNs rail blockades?

Where's the precedent for this MH? 

We have political prisoners here, that's it. Our PM is a fascist and you'll never have to wonder what kind of people would follow a guy like Hitler, you just need to look into a mirror.

58 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Mike's sacred cow . . . . . the prancing dipshit and his weak government.

Pretty sure Harper would have pushed Ford to do something about the Ambassador Bridge at least as fast as Trudeau.

And again - I don't like Trudeau, but I am forced to call out ridiculous claims for the good of non-embarrassing dialogue on here.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

The fact that you have to mention "disturbing the peace" that is telling

OOOOHHHHH NOOOOO! 

Can you please tell me why I should give a rip? It was a protest. Stuff happens.

I guess you weren't paying attention.   That's par for the course.  Maybe you are starting to learn, who knows....

$360M crosses the bridge every day so ~7 days is ~$2B.   (Edited to add: that is US DOLLARS)

Lesson done for today. :)

https://financialpost.com/news/how-the-ambassador-bridge-blockade-hit-canadas-economy-and-our-reputation

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goddess said:

Wellington was still closed down - by the government - up til a few days ago.  Not sure if they have opened up yet or not, but I read that business owners there were starting to get upset.  And not with the convoy.

There are no businesses on Wellington Street in front of Parliament.

Businesses are upset the government is not making public servants go back to work in the offices and that no one goes downtown any more.

54 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

The fact ....

The CEO of CP wants to shut down a national rail line. ......

We have political prisoners here, that's it. Our PM is a fascist and you'll never have to wonder what kind of people would follow a guy like Hitler, you just need to look into a mirror.

Uhhh, the union shut down the railroad.

No political prisoners. The guy in jail cannot even find a lawyer to take his case....wonder what kind of dipshit he is that he cannot get a shystyer to help him get bail??

Edited by ExFlyer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Closing the Ambassador Bridge probably seems pretty cool to people like you but it's kind of a big deal.  

It had at least one lane open for most of the blockade and other crossings were open in Sarnia and Windsor.  The tragedy of the freedom convoy isn’t honking horns or temporary blockage at the border.  It was the disregard and disparagement by Canadian political leadership of millions of Canadians, followed by the use of force against peaceful protesters raising legitimate concerns.  The freezing of bank accounts and continued refusal of government to discuss the lifting of mandates and vaccine passports is an unprecedented assault on Canadian democracy, which has arguably died as evidenced by these events.  You may not think what happened is a big deal, but millions of Canadians and foreigners do.  It’s soured many people on Canada and shaken confidence in our banks and government institutions.  

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I guess you weren't paying attention.   That's par for the course.  Maybe you are starting to learn, who knows....

$360M crosses the bridge every day so ~7 days is ~$2B.   (Edited to add: that is US DOLLARS)

Do you think that I didn't know that 25% of our daily trade with the US was a lot? 

Like I said, it's only 25% of our trade with the US and it was only down for a few days. Tens of thousands of people were forced to vaccinate and thousands of others lost 100% of their income for several months.

I get that you only care for yourself, and it doesn't affect you when other people are seriously hurt by the vaccine, or when they lose their jobs, but you should try to find a way to care about other people. It's weird that you don't.

FYI the pseudovaccines don't stop the spread of covid and they don't stop people from dying, so they're not 'vaccines'. It's weird that you still believe in them so firmly after all the lies that you were told about them, but I guess that's what makes you a leftist. In any event, forcing people to take them was the epitome of stupid. 

Lesson done for today. :)

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

Oh, and one more thing about $2B...

When Trudeau became PM he chased away 3 companies that were investing in the Alberta oil patch, all of them were investing over $30 billion. In total Trudeau chased away around $120B from the oilfields in 2015.

The blockade of the Ambassador Bridge cost us 1/60th of what Trudeau did to Alberta. But that doesn't matter, because it wasn't in Ont or Que. 

FFWD to 2022 and look at how much we're paying for oil, and how much of the world is beholden to Russian crude. 

Leftists: "Oh, but we'll invest in green solar-powered technology and recoup the money that way."

Uh, nooo. We will buy our solar panels from China just like everything else. By the time we get around to extracting the il from Alberta the Chinese gov't will own it. 

It's just a fact that leftists lack foresight and then they lie about everything once shit goes sideways.