Trucker's Convoy

West

Catching glimpses of Tamara's show trial today. Apparently a judge running as a Liberal Party candidate and donating more than $18,000 to the LPOC presiding over a case where the defendant was protesting a Liberal policy is in no way a conflict of interest lol.. 

Only if you are a Liberal 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, West said:

Catching glimpses of Tamara's show trial today. Apparently a judge running as a Liberal Party candidate and donating more than $18,000 to the LPOC presiding over a case where the defendant was protesting a Liberal policy is in no way a conflict of interest lol.. 

Yup looks like political interference.  I don’t even know how you find a judge in Canada who isn’t Liberal. I mean if you admit you’re conservative you could have your bank account frozen some day.  Would be funny if there wasn’t some truth to it.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Yup looks like political interference.  I don’t even know how you find a judge in Canada who isn’t Liberal. I mean if you admit you’re conservative you could have your bank account frozen some day.  Would be funny if there wasn’t some truth to it.  

I'd say. 

Anyone can see the leftist judge was a partisan hack. 

The trial, if it gets there, should be moved out of Ottawa. A snake pit where liberal opinions are law

2 hours ago, West said:

It's a farce, as we've come to expect in this country, but the US is no better off than we are. Maybe worse.

Biden's SCJ nominee was a volunteer in Barack Obama's election campaign. She was an appellate court judge for less than a year. She had her decisions overturned by higher courts on more than one occasion as a judge.

How does a person like that even get a nomination? She literally went from being a disgrace to potentially being one of the 7 people in America who have THE final say. And she's young enough to inflict herself on America's democracy for decades to come. 

3 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

It's a farce, as we've come to expect in this country, but the US is no better off than we are. Maybe worse.

Biden's SCJ nominee was a volunteer in Barack Obama's election campaign. She was an appellate court judge for less than a year. She had her decisions overturned by higher courts on more than one occasion as a judge.

How does a person like that even get a nomination? She literally went from being a disgrace to potentially being one of the 7 people in America who have THE final say. And she's young enough to inflict herself on America's democracy for decades to come. 

Freeland is deputy pm. A former political media hack in the US. Honestly not surprised with the direction the lunatics are taking us.. 

• Like 1

I was reading an interesting piece on the victimhood fetish common among the far-right, as exemplified by the freedumb convoy. It contended that it's an offshoot of evangelicalism, which has long used the tactic of brainwashing their followers into believing they are victims of the greater society. I think there's a lot of truth to it. 

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, BubberMiley said:

I was reading an interesting piece on the victimhood fetish common among the far-right, as exemplified by the freedumb convoy. It contended that it's an offshoot of evangelicalism, which has long used the tactic of brainwashing their followers into believing they are victims of the greater society. I think there's a lot of truth to it. 

I don't agree.  I also don't think that there are enough far-right people to sustain such a protest in the popular sphere.

Evangelicalism is founded on the rock of faith and core metaphysical beliefs, so it doesn't apply here.

As for brainwashing, I only agree that people are brainwashed if they subscribe to uncritical media.  As such, there are only degrees of brainwashing possible in today's media landscape.  

Canadians generally are middle of the road. The truckers are just truckers. Not a lot of time for politics. Which is why their journey to Ottawa simply to be heard was amazing. Some gave all they had just to get there. And there's nothing wrong with being a Christian and a trucker. There were plenty of other faiths at Ottawa's big party...Muslims too.

And plenty of Sikhs...Jimmy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DogOnPorch said:

1. Which is why their journey to Ottawa simply to be heard was amazing.
2. Some gave all they had just to get there. And there's nothing wrong with being a Christian and a trucker.

1. It took the Covid pandemic and response to wake people up to realize that politics are a thing.
2. There's nothing wrong with being a Christian, period.

4 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. It took the Covid pandemic and response to wake people up to realize that politics are a thing.
2. There's nothing wrong with being a Christian, period.

I agree. Regular Canadians aren't used to being attacked by their government for holding an opinion that differs from the government. Better get used to it? I hope not. Tolerating opposing views is democratic. Anything else is something else. Not democracy. Not freedom.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

I agree. Regular Canadians aren't used to being attacked by their government for holding an opinion that differs from the government. Better get used to it? I hope not. Tolerating opposing views is democratic. Anything else is something else. Not democracy. Not freedom.

When traditions are written off as retrograde and colonial by political leadership, and there’s nothing to replace them except post-modern political theory, generally Marxism or nihilism, the new ideology can be deeply unsettling and hurtful to the thousands of communities who come together to celebrate milestones and holidays.  When the state takes those away, declaring them non-essential or unsafe, the psychological damage to people is significant, which is why we must always question any suspension of constitutional rights.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, West said:

But the guy in Winnipeg who deliberately ran over 4 people is out on bail.

41 minutes ago, West said:

Exactly. Tamara is supposedly a threat to society. 

She's a threat to Trudeau's ego

The handling of protests by our overbearing and controlling federal leadership is a genuine threat to justice and democracy everywhere.  It’s embarrassing for the country, which will wear these events for decades to come.

2 hours ago, DogOnPorch said:

1. Regular Canadians aren't used to being attacked by their government for holding an opinion that differs from the government.
2. Better get used to it? I hope not. Tolerating opposing views is democratic. 

1. Er... maybe ?  I can't say I agree unless we know what you are talking about... If you say aren't used to "feeling attacked" we might be closer to something like truth because populism is all about the 'feels'
2. Yeah but you just said that people didn't tolerate the government's views on their radicalism.   Shrugs all around

37 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Er... maybe ?  I can't say I agree unless we know what you are talking about... If you say aren't used to "feeling attacked" we might be closer to something like truth because populism is all about the 'feels'
2. Yeah but you just said that people didn't tolerate the government's views on their radicalism.   Shrugs all around

Non-sequitur

Edited by DogOnPorch

8 minutes ago, West said:

Looks like the Nazis have closed down iconic Cafe for the crime of serving food to the truckers

If the police have closed down that cafe then I hope the owners launch a court challenge.  Of course when the government stole donations to protesters they disempowered them and infringed on their constitutional rights.  This is exactly why Canada is in serious trouble.  It’s called social credit de-platforming. Government has literally taken away protesters’ rights to earn a livelihood and live off money that they earned.  The fact that this isn’t obvious and prominent in Canadian mainstream media says it all.  Canada looks ridiculous on the world stage right now and for good reason.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

4 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

If the police have closed down that cafe then I hope the owners launch a court challenge.  Of course when the government stole donations to protesters they disempowered them and infringed on their constitutional rights.  This is exactly why Canada is in serious trouble.  It’s called social credit de-platforming. Government has literally taken away protesters’ rights to earn a livelihood and live off money that they earned.  The fact that this isn’t obvious and prominent in Canadian mainstream media says it all.  Canada looks ridiculous on the world stage right now and for good reason.  

If you trust our court system right now which I don't. We live in a lawless society