Trucker's Convoy

West

39 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

1. People make outlandish claims all the time.
2. saw a reference that there were some 5M trucks. So it could be that someone figured out, if 10% of truckers are non-vaccinated (as opposed to unvaccinated...) that makes 50,000 truckers. From there the information gets transmuted.
3. It seems there are about ten cars for every truck. You do the math   ;)
4. Now is the time for the rise of the strongman.

1.   Especially on this board.
2.  The more thinking, the less emoting ... the less we'll see of such things
3.  The car/SUV figures were in that tweet, and it was 276 non-big-truck vehicles.
4.  The last thing we want

A government, any government needs to be kept in check and well within its box. Otherwise it will grow without limits and stick its nose into everything. Of course out of the best intentions and for common good. In this country we have no effective checks on the governments, just none. Sure we had opinion polls but now governments are discovering that those can be manipulated particularly effectively with fear, confusion and division. This is a real problem, ahead of everything else, including vaccinations. And if we won't find solutions we'll be screwed in this century if not by pandemic then by one of a host of problems that are piling up.

Edited by myata
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

The last thing we want

1, 4. Mr. Trudeua seems to be trying to position himself as such, of all things. In that regard he's a total failure. It's like when a pansy tries to play tough guy. One should not do an about-face from one's general sense of motion, unless ready to do a massive roll-over.

Please flip the canoe, flip the canoe...

Edited by OftenWrong
sp.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

indeed but most Canadians think otherwise

and that's why you're not allowed to go back to normal

because the politicians are pandering to the overreacting freedom haters

they ain't pandering to you, because you ain't the majority

These overreacting freedom haters, as you put it, are also victims.

We are all victims of a power hungry government and a ratings hungry media.

Fear sells...about as well as sex. These people need to be singled out and dispensed with.

As for me...I have vowed not to break any laws, but I will not cow to this crap either. I will continue to point out the abject stupidity of all this. Many of us do so and I believe we're making headway.

As for this convoy...I hope they bring Ottawa to its knees. If common sense and raw facts won't move these abusive jack-asses...maybe having their city turned into an unmovable object will.

Edited by Nationalist
  • Like 1

Just now, OftenWrong said:

1, 4. Mr. Trudeua seems to be trying to position himself as such, of all things.

1. How so? For the classic strongman, appearances are everything... And tito, Mussolini and the like did not try to come across as teen heartthrobs..

Furthermore, he games the polls when it comes to his positions. If you feel he's being bold and brave somehow, you're actually getting suckered by his own PR

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. How so? For the classic strongman, appearances are everything... And tito, Mussolini and the like did not try to come across as teen heartthrobs..

Furthermore, he games the polls when it comes to his positions. If you feel he's being bold and brave somehow, you're actually getting suckered by his own PR

He ain't a heart-throb anymore. Look closely and you'll see the lines of just another, ugly old man trying to look like a young man. Just as the plastering art doth cover the harlot's cheek, yet changeth not that which lies... below. The new, bold Trudeua.

How so? How about that intolerant rant to Quebecers for starts.

• Like 1

News media showing a lot of support for these truckers (allegedly) and showing pictures of a few hundred to a few thousand people greeting them or waving the flag but they do not show the millions silent majority sitting in their homes opposing their action or their rude slogans not to mention their movement may be hijacked by extreme right elements. 

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

I will say, I'm starting to agree that rolling restrictions on freedoms based on case counts and hospitalization figures are oppressive and borderline fascist. 

But that shouldn't be conflated with a bilateral policy of requiring truckers who cross the border regularly to be vaccinated. That's not terribly controversial. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

These overreacting freedom haters, as you put it, are also victims.

We are all victims of a power hungry government and a ratings hungry media.

Fear sells...about as well as sex. These people need to be singled out and dispensed with.

As for me...I have vowed not to break any laws, but I will not cow to this crap either. I will continue to point out the abject stupidity of all this. Many of us do so and I believe we're making headway.

As for this convoy...I hope they bring Ottawa to its knees. If common sense and raw facts won't move these abusive jack-asses...maybe having their city turned into an unmovable object will.

these protests will just make the freedom haters double down

any problems the truckers cause for the government, will just turn more people against them and their cause

Canadians aren't gonna side with these truckers over the government

Trudeau ain't scared, he's loving this

and using the opportunity to demonize the opposition by associating them with the truckers

mobs in the streets never fix anything, just make things worse

Edited by Yzermandius19

1 minute ago, Boges said:

1. I will say, I'm starting to agree that rolling restrictions on freedoms based on case counts and hospitalization figures are oppressive and borderline fascist. 

2. But that shouldn't be conflated with a bilateral policy of requiring truckers who cross the border regularly to be vaccinated. That's not terribly controversial. 

1. At the tail end of the epidemic, the rationale for actions becomes a little more nebulous so Liberals and Conservatives will start to fall back on their ideologies in reaction to day-to-day.
2. It's controversial if people say it is.  The "f*** your feelings" people are showing their feelings... holding babies on highway overpass railings and waving flags... over... something.  

Believe it or not, leftists used to have the market cornered on us-vs-them politics long ago... :D 

9 minutes ago, Boges said:

I will say, I'm starting to agree that rolling restrictions on freedoms based on case counts and hospitalization figures are oppressive and borderline fascist. 

But that shouldn't be conflated with a bilateral policy of requiring truckers who cross the border regularly to be vaccinated. That's not terribly controversial. 

So you draw your line on fascism there? Interesting.

You've come a long way baby..

;)

Edited by OftenWrong
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Right... but an aging lothario is still no strong man.
2. No idea what you are talking about there.  The Libs play the polls, period.

1. Exactly. Ergo his attempts to look strong shall flop.

2. The one where I linked to the video for you. Remember you were outraged. Even you.

What is he doing there, if not channelling Don Trump. "They're frequently racists and misogynists."
"They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

How great is the leap?

• Like 1

Just now, OftenWrong said:

The strongman was always portrayed in history as a dashing ladies man. "All the girls want him."

For sure...the Eva Braun effect. 

But the reality is that we're all being led down the garden path to a place not advertised in the concentration camp brochure. 

• Like 2