Conspiracy Misinformation Tactics

I thought I'd write this post for fun to highlight some of the silliness I've seen on this forum since I started posting here again last week.  I'll start with a simple example that stemmed from a debate I was having with some dude posting "scientific" sources from the American Institute for Economic Research regarding COVID-19 lock-down measures. I'll spare the awkward details of that discussion, but what I wanted to highlight are some obvious misinformation traps that our brave red-pilled conspiracy theorists often fall for and maybe (just maybe) how catch them. 

https://www.aier.org/article/fauci-lies-in-the-senate/

Here's a recent article by AIER's senior editor, James Harrigan, lamenting Dr. Anthony Fauci lying to the Senate:

"It was when Rand Paul asked him if he thought it “appropriate to use your $420,000 salary to smear scientists who don’t agree with you?” Fauci predictably denied the charge, but just about anyone with an ounce of sense could likely guess he was lying."

ANYONE with an ounce of sense can see that Dr. Fauci was "lying' in response to a baiting/provocative question from the always-reasonable and totally unbiased Rand Paul.  The esteemed James Harrigan then goes on to write that an access to information request PROVES that Dr. Anthony Fauci was in fact using his $420,000 salary to smear scientists who don't agree with him, or that he lied about not doing that...or something.  If you click on the "proof" he offers, you're linked to a several pages of nothing-burger emails smothered in redactions where Fauci and his peers/staff refer to AIER's Great Barrington Declaration as scientific nonsense.  That's it.  

The reason this sort of misinformation works is that the majority of people wouldn't actually go through those emails.  Folks just see the headline "Fauci Lies," see that the author presented a LINK and assume that because this is a published article online, that the "proof" actually demonstrates what it pretends to.  

These sorts of traps are everywhere on fringe and conspiracy websites, and the biggest hook is that readers are often invited NOT to take the writer's word for it, but rather to see and decide for themselves with the presented info-dump.  Whether that's a boring email-chain, a list of 25 research articles that may not even support the writer's claims or a bunch of pictures that draw connections that don't exist, it doesn't actually matter because 99% of readers will never give it more than moment's thought.  What matters is that they were invited to decide for themselves rather than just being told what to think, and for the receptive mind that can take the skeptical guard-rails off whatever they're listening to. 

By no means is the mainstream media without bias or sometimes outright misinformation, but the more ludicrous claims and conclusions are usually called out by competitors or even the people they write about and there's always a fear of public blowback or even lawsuits.  When it's being peddled around on the dark weeb or the endless rabbit hole of political hack/conspiracy websites, it's a pointless effort to try to refute. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

"It was when Rand Paul asked him if he thought it “appropriate to use your $420,000 salary to smear scientists who don’t agree with you?” Fauci predictably denied the charge, but just about anyone with an ounce of sense could likely guess he was lying."

ANYONE with an ounce of sense can see that Dr. Fauci was "lying' in response to a baiting/provocative question

It's not a conspiracy theory when there is evidence of Fauci doing exactly this thing to multiple colleagues over the years, who dare to disagree with him.

Good on Sen. Paul for having the guts to finally call Fauci on his tactics.

Anthony Fauci Science Comments: Stop Playing His Game | National Review

Fauci says attacks on him are 'attacks on science' (nypost.com)

Sorry, but the guy who locks dogs in mesh cages and cuts out their vocal cords so the scientists don't have to hear them scream as they are eaten alive by sand fleas......is NOT science.

• Like 2

It's interesting that neither of you have actually commented on the meat of the original post.  On one hand we have Goddess going on about animal cruelty in an attempt to portray Fauci as an evil mad-scientist, and then you're parroting conspiracy copypasta. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonbox said:

The email exchanges only indicate that Fauci was against the Great Barrington Declaration, " Over the past week I have come out very strongly publicly against the Great Barrington Declaration" - " smear scientists" is a reach and without proof. 

Do you find a lot of media is pushing a divide society mentality? 

Edited by Winston

32 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

It's interesting that neither of you have actually commented on the meat of the original post.  On one hand we have Goddess going on about animal cruelty in an attempt to portray Fauci as an evil mad-scientist, and then you're parroting conspiracy copypasta. 

Actually, I also said he has a long history of discrediting and smearing and ruining the careers of those who disagree with him.

Dr. Fishbein was one, Dr. Farber was another, but there are more.  What he did to Dr. Duesberg was unconscionable.

13 minutes ago, Goddess said:

Actually, I also said he has a long history of discrediting and smearing and ruining the careers of those who disagree with him.

Dr. Fishbein was one, Dr. Farber was another, but there are more.  What he did to Dr. Duesberg was unconscionable.

Is that the Dr. Duesberg who disagrees that HIV causes AIDS?  Oookay.  ?

and now you're quoting George R R Martin.  I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.  

Edited by Moonbox
  • Like 1

It's a race to the bottom here, it seems.  Is reddit and 4dchan full or something?

?Perhaps there's some missing information that people are missing on social networks ? In theory there are at least 81 countries where there are disinformation organizations that constantly produce disinformation. At least 48 countries have used private disinformation companies that have made a lot of fake accounts managed by both humans and robots to amplify the disinformation.  Facebook, twitter, reddit, 4chan  ➡️ disinformation is just the norm.

For starters I don't claim to be left or right but it's obvious from the beginning of this whole thing that the narrative was being shaped by a small group of people. Fauci or not, one of the big things I found most troubling early on was not just scientific disagreements or hypothesis, but actual character assassinations of scientists who didn't go along with the narrative. This more often than not came from the fauci camp labelling anything they disagreed with as "disinformation" and "conspiracy theories". 

A few that have had their character assassinated (even though they had contributions in some cases for many years to their fields) would include Dr. Malone, Dr. McCullough, Dr. Byram Briddle, Professor Christian (U of S) and others. Really it made no sense to trash these guys reputations. Why would they lie and make stuff up, risking jobs in the process? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yup.  We don’t need to worry about what can’t be proven today to point out our reality, which is that much of the developed world is living under an extreme and unprecedented house arrest.  The infringement of personal liberties is so widespread and pervasive that only people who have been heavily conditioned could accept what is taking place as in any way normal.

Do I think that the conditioning is being directed by some evil genius or cabal behind the scenes?   Well it doesn’t have to be and even such a theory is no less verifiable than notions like Covid originating from pangolins or that we must remain vigilant in our restrictions in case of variants and the effects of long Covid derived from Omicron, a mild disease that our heavily vaccinated population is well-equipped to fight.

Look at what is still in place to fight Covid: suspension of the freedom to gather, operate businesses, travel freely, access services without identification and vaccine passports, hold jobs without proof of vaccination, be inside a private business or public building without a mask, etc.

The restrictions and mandates are tyrannical.  Our Canadian government is unable to see it or fight it. Almost all of Europe, South America, Asia, and half of the US refuses to overturn de facto totalitarianism.

Where do we go from here?   I can only point to the few jurisdictions where mandates and restrictions don’t exist or are minimal and Covid is being managed for what it is, an endemic disease that we must learn to manage without losing most of the aspects of our existence that we value: the ability to see each other, gather with family and friends, go out and travel unrestricted and meet new people face to face, sing, dance, play and watch sports, learn together, be in clubs and associations, celebrate our faiths together, celebrate holidays together, and so much else that has been simply removed from our lives without clear and ample justification.

Arbitrary. draconian, unjustifiable infringements on freedom and liberal-democracy are our reality.  No conspiracy theory is needed to call out what is right in front of us.

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, West said:

1. For starters I don't claim to be left or right but it's obvious from the beginning of this whole thing that the narrative was being shaped by a small group of people.

2.  This more often than not came from the fauci camp labelling anything they disagreed with as "disinformation" and "conspiracy theories". 

3. A few that have had their character assassinated (even though they had contributions in some cases for many years to their fields) would include Dr. Malone, Dr. McCullough, Dr. Byram Briddle, Professor Christian (U of S) and others. Really it made no sense to trash these guys reputations. Why would they lie and make stuff up, risking jobs in the process? 

1. The collective public health establishments of the world's nations are a small group?

2. 3. Can you please give a specific example of this happening?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dialamah said:

The level of Qanon inspired 'facts" are pretty astounding on this forum.  There's not much point in presenting any other facts since they're rejected with the same enthusiasm devout Christians reject any suggestion that God did not create everything.

Why do you bring God into the discussion in a negative way?  It should be obvious God created the universe and everything in it.  Do you have a better explanation?  Why do you allow yourself to be influenced by the wacko God / Bible deniers?

Edited by blackbird
  • Thanks 1

Where do we go from here? Probably in the same direction. My concern is that these measures will be trotted out every time there is another outbreak. That means annually, seasonally, as is the pattern for colds, some of which are a coronavirus. Does that make it a conspiracy, or misinformation?

In terms of misinformation, it doesn't help that the government covers up its mistakes, if not outright lies to We Candians. Maybe the government forgot how well-educated we are, and thinks we are all big babies who need their nanny-state? It is this attitude that forces them into an absurd position. Blatant propaganda is obvious, to people who are well educated.

Oh wait, so let's teach them some other bullshit instead of "racist" math, history, and science!

Then promote fear and hysteria in things like public health and climate change (a global issue!!), and even divisiveness among ourselves (Canada's PM, Quebec Premier, et al).

Oh wait, the dunderheads don't give a crap. As long as there's beer 'n TV.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Where do we go from here? Probably in the same direction. My concern is that these measures will be trotted out every time there is another outbreak. That means annually, seasonally, as is the pattern for colds, some of which are a coronavirus. Does that make it a conspiracy, or misinformation?

In terms of misinformation, it doesn't help that the government covers up its mistakes, if not outright lies to We Candians. Maybe the government forgot how well-educated we are, and thinks we are all big babies who need their nanny-state? It is this attitude that forces them into an absurd position. Blatant propaganda is obvious, to people who are well educated.

the Germans were the most educated people in the world before the Nazi's came to power and while they were in power with overwhelming public support

yet they we're still very susceptible to propaganda

the well educated are often the ones who best weaponize propaganda throughout history

Canadians are very suspectible to propaganda, many well-educated Canadians are the most brainwashed by that propaganda as well

see the Canadian masses overwhelming support for totalitarian measures as a prime example of their gullibility

Edited by Yzermandius19
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

1. it doesn't help that the government covers up its mistakes, if not outright lies to We Candians. Maybe the government forgot how well-educated we are, and thinks we are all big babies who need their nanny-state? It is this attitude that forces them into an absurd position. Blatant propaganda is obvious, to people who are well educated.

2. Oh wait, so let's teach them some other bullshit instead of "racist" math, history, and science!

3. Then promote fear and hysteria in things like public health and climate change (a global issue!!), and even divisiveness among ourselves (Canada's PM, Quebec Premier, et al).

4. Oh wait, the dunderheads don't give a crap. As long as there's beer 'n TV.

1. This is a big flaw in what government does, and is due at least in part to the fact that they all came of age in the epoch of information oligopoly.  It comes across as highly unnatural and aloof.  The populists have a big advantage in this area, politically.

2. Au contraire - these subject matters are an attempt to bring academic into the public sphere where there is no space for a public sphere.  There's no space for informed disagreement on social issues, there's no public space to accept public health and environmental research... it doesn't exist.  

3.  Hysteria is the reaction of the uninformed, suspicious and superstitious.  Be careful about putting that on the messenger.   But I will concur absolutely that the intermediaries play up doom to get ratings.  This is the problem of panic-tainment... we need information instead.

4. Don't forget to add yelling 'Trudeau is a Communist' on Facebook.  

1 hour ago, Yzermandius19 said:

the Germans were the most educated people in the world before the Nazi's came to power and while they were in power with overwhelming public support

yet they we're still very susceptible to propaganda

the well educated are often the ones who best weaponize propaganda throughout history

Canadians are very suspectible to propaganda, many well-educated Canadians are the most brainwashed by that propaganda as well

see the Canadian masses overwhelming support for totalitarian measures as a prime example of their gullibility

I suppose education in history is the most important thing. Trying to identify what makes one person more susceptible to misinformation. It is when the system subverts education for its own political advantage, which I alluded to.

The majority are followers who seek to fit in well with the main group. They are not the type to challenge ideas of "the System", since it's the very thing they trust and depend on to survive. It's for those who are inquisitive, who question things.

Which the system relegates to the "Looney Fringe", as we see right here.

1 minute ago, OftenWrong said:

1. Trying to identify what makes one person more susceptible to misinformation. It is when the system subverts education for its own political advantage, which I alluded to.

2. The majority are followers who seek to fit in well with the main group. They are not the type to challenge ideas of "the System", since it's the very thing they trust and depend on to survive. It's for those who are inquisitive, who question things.

3. Which the system relegates to the "Looney Fringe", as we see right here.

1. Seems like excessive distrust of authority, beyond what is reasonable is the problem to be addressed.
2. Challenging the system happens constantly but it depends on quality thinking and discussion
3. As they always have done.  Now the Looney Fringe has offshore adversaries helping out the bad ones.

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. This is a big flaw in what government does, and is due at least in part to the fact that they all came of age in the epoch of information oligopoly.  It comes across as highly unnatural and aloof.  The populists have a big advantage in this area, politically.

2. Au contraire - these subject matters are an attempt to bring academic into the public sphere where there is no space for a public sphere.  There's no space for informed disagreement on social issues, there's no public space to accept public health and environmental research... it doesn't exist.  

3.  Hysteria is the reaction of the uninformed, suspicious and superstitious.  Be careful about putting that on the messenger.   But I will concur absolutely that the intermediaries play up doom to get ratings.  This is the problem of panic-tainment... we need information instead.

4. Don't forget to add yelling 'Trudeau is a Communist' on Facebook.  

3. "A little information is dangerous" - Josef G. OftenWrong, 1933. Propaganda is a refined art that does not blatantly lie, but seeks to spread fear through the use of magic words and phrases.

4. In other words as long as the people are kept satisfied, by entertainment and substances.

2 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Seems like excessive distrust of authority, beyond what is reasonable is the problem to be addressed.
2. Challenging the system happens constantly but it depends on quality thinking and discussion
3. As they always have done.  Now the Looney Fringe has offshore adversaries helping out the bad ones.

The oldschool ways are not today's ways. As this very thread alludes, all mainstream messaging is now under government influence to play along, broadcasting pro-government messaging and the new talking points. I for one want to know the news, but that option is simply been removed.

Yes there are voices trying to speak out, but drowned by the din of mass media frenzy, fearful-tainment.
Cause it brings the clicks$$...

22 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

I suppose education in history is the most important thing. Trying to identify what makes one person more susceptible to misinformation. It is when the system subverts education for its own political advantage, which I alluded to.

The majority are followers who seek to fit in well with the main group. They are not the type to challenge ideas of "the System", since it's the very thing they trust and depend on to survive. It's for those who are inquisitive, who question things.

Which the system relegates to the "Looney Fringe", as we see right here.

the looney mainstream

it's not a fringe it a large majority