Do You Believe in Afterlife?

CITIZEN_2015

• It is probably the most important question in our mind. What happens to us when we die? Is there a God, judgement day or heaven and hell? Or do we join a spiritual world in another dimension or do we become nothing like the state we were before birth for 13.7 billion years.
  • I became more interested in above questions due to recent passing of my closest person and started doing research on the subject.
  • Major religions like Judaism, Christianity and Islam all believe in existence of God, a judgement day and heaven and hell where our soul will go depending on our actions during life. Buddhism and Hinduism  also believe in spirits but believe that our soul will come back after death to different bodies depending on our actions, Bahai faith likely closest to my view a recent faith though believes in God however believes that souls are born with the body and is a separate consciousness and at death it separates from physical body and enters a timeless extension of universe. The faith however, bans cremation. 
  • There are many scientists researching the subject past half century and many psychic mediums who claim they can actually communicate with spirits and among those are many who say our souls separate from body after death but lives on in another dimension in universe (some say based on NDE interviews that we go through a tunnel, see light, feel intense extreme love and peace, met by dead close relatives or spiritual beings) and some of those believe that souls come back in different bodies or reincarnated. There are also those who say with death brain stops functioning as it cells die and consciousness die with it so there is no soul and consciousness after death. There is just nothing. Death is the end of everything.
  • What do you believe? Any of above or your own belief?
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:
  • There is just nothing. Death is the end of everything.
  • What do you believe? Any of above or your own belief?

I find it oddly comforting that my personal experience of coming into existence is as unobservable to me as the universe's.

Death appears to be a lot like a black hole - there's no coming back. So as we near the speed of light on our final approach and time stretches toward infinity what would it feel like, spaghettification notwithstanding?

My own view is that God is revealed in the Holy Scriptures, specifically the King James Bible and was revealed in human flesh in the person of Jesus Christ 2,000 years ago.  In summary the Bible teaches Adam and Eve fell from a perfect relationship they had with God in the garden of Eden when they ate the forbidden fruit in the garden.  This is related in the first chapters of Genesis.  As a result they and all their descendants, which includes us, therefore received a corrupt fallen nature and a heart that the Bible says is desperately wicked.  This is because Adam and Eve were the legal and actual heads or representatives of the human race.  This means we are separated from God and sin and evil entered into the world. The central story of the Bible is how God sent a Savior for fallen sinful mankind.  The prophecies in the Old Testament point to the coming of Jesus Christ in the New Testament.  Jesus is the Son of God who was sent by God to earth for the central purpose of suffering and dying on the cross as an atonement for our sins.  He was raised from the dead for our justification.  The Bible says whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord (Jesus Christ) shall be saved. (Romans ch10).  By receiving Jesus as one's personal Savior and believing he died for us personally, we are immediately forgiven for all of our sins, past, present and future, and we immediately receive eternal life.   No other religion has anything like this.  When we die, we can know that we have become a child of God through his Son, Jesus Christ, and will live with him forever.  After Jesus was crucified, three days later, he was raised from the dead and as the Bible says, he was seen by many eye witnesses.  So we must believe that he died for our sins and that he was raised from the dead.  That is called Justification, a central doctrine of the Christian faith.  More information can be seen on various websites, sermons, etc.  This link gives some authenticity of the Bible:

Compelling Evidence of the Authenticity of the Bible – peterpilt

The gospel of John is a good one to read for the first time as it makes it clear.  Salvation is entirely by faith, not of works lest any man should boast. (Ephesians 2:8,9)

This link also explains it well:

What Must I Do to be Saved? (gospeltractandbible.org)

Edited by blackbird

3 hours ago, blackbird said:

When we die, we can know that we have become a child of God through his Son, Jesus Christ, and will live with him forever.

I recall reading Pat Robertson describing Heaven as being just like Sunday school that goes on forever. I'm trying to imagine my state of mind after 478 billion years or so of singing Shall We Gather At The River knowing forever is still just getting started.

At least when Hell freezes over it's a matter of when not if. That sounds like the better deal I think.

13 hours ago, eyeball said:

I recall reading Pat Robertson describing Heaven as being just like Sunday school that goes on forever. I'm trying to imagine my state of mind after 478 billion years or so of singing Shall We Gather At The River knowing forever is still just getting started.

At least when Hell freezes over it's a matter of when not if. That sounds like the better deal I think.

Considering we are talking about where one spends eternity, either heaven or hell, I think if that's what Pat Robertson said, he is way out of wack. 

One website says this about heaven:

Biblical Description of Heaven

1 Corinthians 2:9-10 says, “The things God has prepared for those who love him” are “revealed to us by his Spirit.” To counter false, unbiblical notions, we need to study and meditate on “words taught by the Spirit” (1 Corinthians 2:13). Our eternal home is a real place (John 14:1-3) where we will reside in real, physical bodies (1 Corinthians 15) and where we will experience everlasting joys, rewards, and treasures (Matthew 5:12; Matthew 6:19-20; Luke 6:23).

God dwells there (Revelation 21:3) and the light of Jesus will permeate every corner of this place (Revelation 22:5). Charles Spurgeon said, “To the lover of Jesus it is very pleasant to observe how the Lord Jesus Christ has always stood foremost in glory from before the foundation of the world and will do so as long as eternity shall last.”

We shall see the Lord “face-to-face” (1 Corinthians 13:12). The fact that our all-knowing, all-powerful Creator will dwell with us and we shall know him in an even more intimate way should be sufficient for the true Christian to rest assured that they will be satisfied there, but the Bible gives us many other glimpses of what this place will be like.

1. Eradication of evil. Jesus promised that when he returns, he will send out his angels to “weed out of his kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil,” and “then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father” (Matthew 13:41-43).

Picture your favorite place on earth. Now imagine that place completely free from any of the unpleasantries that make you feel sad, uncomfortable, or anxious. Perfect righteousness and justice reign supreme. Every shred of evil has been completely eliminated and, instead, will be the opposite of anything that causes displeasure.

Revelation says:   " 4  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. " Revelation 21:4 KJV

I'm sure heaven will be a paradise of eternal happiness and joy.

There are many websites that describe what heaven will be like.

What Is Heaven Like According to the Bible? (christianity.com)

Hell on the other hand:

"We can be assured that hell is a terrible, terrifying place. Some punishments in hell the Bible describe include: smoke of their torment, no rest day or night, weeping and gnashing of teeth, tormented, death, and destruction. Possibly the most terrifying aspect of hell is its duration. The suffering is eternal and has no end."

What Does the Bible Say Hell Will Be Like? - Beliefnet

Bible verses related to Hell from the King James Version (KJV) by Relevance

- Sort By Book Order

Revelation 21:8 - But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

John 3:16-18 - For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.   (Read More...)

Romans 6:23 - For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Revelation 20:15 - And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Matthew 25:46 - And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Matthew 10:28 - And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Mark 9:43-48 - And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:   (Read More...)

Matthew 13:50 - And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Revelation 20:14 - And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

2 Thessalonians 1:9 - Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

Revelation 20:10 - And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Psalms 145:20 - The LORD preserveth all them that love him: but all the wicked will he destroy.

Matthew 5:22 - But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Hebrews 10:26-31 - For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,   (Read More...)

Revelation 14:11 - And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

Luke 16:19-31 - There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:   (Read More...)

Luke 12:5 - But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.  Unquote

We can see why some would deny the truth or authenticity of the King James Bible.  

Edited by blackbird

16 hours ago, blackbird said:

My own view is that God is revealed in the Holy Scriptures, specifically the King James Bible and was revealed in human flesh in the person of Jesus Christ 2,000 years ago. 

He was not the son of a God. There is no God. 

In summary the Bible teaches Adam and Eve fell from a perfect relationship they had with God in the garden of Eden when they ate the forbidden fruit in the garden. 

The reality of two perfectly formed human beings with features of us today, suddenly appearing from nowhere is ridiculous.  It never happened. It's purely symbolic to create the silly stories. 

This is related in the first chapters of Genesis.  As a result they and all their descendants, which includes us, therefore received a corrupt fallen nature and a heart that the Bible says is desperately wicked.  This is because Adam and Eve were the legal and actual heads or representatives of the human race. 

Absolute rubbish. Fossils and DNA far out date any of that rubbish. You can even say e factly what year your silly God created the earth or them. 

This means we are separated from God and sin and evil entered into the world. The central story of the Bible is how God sent a Savior for fallen sinful mankind. 

No he didn't send anyone. He was just another trouble making philandering prophet who saw an opportunity to con people. His lineage can be documented. God had nothing to do with it.  

The prophecies in the Old Testament point to the coming of Jesus Christ in the New Testament.  Jesus is the Son of God who was sent by God to earth for the central purpose of suffering and dying on the cross as an atonement for our sins. 

Your "sins" are another threatening tool invented by  religion. Isn't it strange no such thing existed until your Jesus arrived then suddenly the whole world is infected. Surprise surprise. then he sends some idiot to solve the problem he created. Can't you see the stupidity of your claim. 

He was raised from the dead for our justification. 

No he wasn't. Only godbotherers perpetuate that ridiculous lie. Levitation is impossible. It's just continuation of the same miraculous fairy tales. 

The Bible says whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord (Jesus Christ) shall be saved.

Saved from what? Be specific. The only life known to man since time began is this one yet some ancient book has you conned into believing something else. 

(Romans ch10).  By receiving Jesus as one's personal Savior and believing he died for us personally, we are immediately forgiven for all of our sins, past, present and future, and we immediately receive eternal life. 

How merciful. The same sins he so tenderly gifted us. Now he is doing us all a lifetime favour by saving us ftom some other dreaded destination he invented. You'll believe anything. 

No other religion has anything like this.  When we die, we can know that we have become a child of God through his Son, Jesus Christ, and will live with him forever. 

How can you possible say that when you know no different. Your Religion has anesthetized your ability to question anything because you think you KNOW everything there is to know. 

You have been conned. 

After Jesus was crucified, three days later, he was raised from the dead and as the Bible says, he was seen by many eye witnesses. 

No he wasn't.  No person lying dead for three days, riddled with maggots suddenly rises them levitates into the sky. Think about that.  What a load of bollocks. 

So we must believe that he died for our sins and that he was raised from the dead. 

We don't have to believe anything of the sort. It's a total myth.  Only the blind godbotherers like you believe that rubbish. 

That is called Justification, a central doctrine of the Christian faith.  More information can be seen on various websites, sermons, etc.  This link gives some authenticity of the Bible:

Exactly. It has to have justification to get suckers to believe it. Without all those magical events that coincidentally all occurred in an area where he was coincidentally happened to be, is a bit to far beyond belief. 

Furthermore, you believers don't even know where he is  buried although it is established where this idiot died. You're still blurry eyed about some ridiculous resurrection. 

The book quoted below has been doing the rounds for years. It can't be taken seriously because nothing was independently verified and it was written by a fellow godbotherer. You will get more facts in a phantom comic. 

16 hours ago, blackbird said:

Compelling Evidence of the Authenticity of the Bible – peterpilt

The gospel of John is a good one to read for the first time as it makes it clear.  Salvation is entirely by faith, not of works lest any man should boast. (Ephesians 2:8,9)

This link also explains it well:

What Must I Do to be Saved? (gospeltractandbible.org)

On 1/16/2022 at 3:09 PM, CITIZEN_2015 said:

It is probably the most important question in our mind.

Doubtful.

As to fear of judgement.

If a Christian, I have to think that judgement has passed in God's mind, and the bible, that says that none of us are lost to God.

That is his will, and he always gets his way.

To think a supernatural God would lose anything he creates would be foolish.

All his creations are perfect, even with their flaws, that are illusion, given that God makes no flaws.

--------

Not being delusional, Gnostic Christians recognize that we cannot know of anything real after death, because we have no one to prove it.

Even if one such person did reappear, without confirmation, it would not mean that we would all share the same fate.

Supernatural thinking is Dark Age thinking while Gnostics are the light.

It is not that I look forward to death, but I do not fear it. 

I am enjoying the ride way too much to worry about the end.

God is bias to a fault and Jealous of all his precious perfect creations.

It is demonstrable that we were created by nature for our best possible end.

If God can't do better, why call it God?

Regards

DL

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

Belief is a choice?

Could I choose to sincerely believe in Bigfoot tomorrow through sheer force of will?

You miss the point.

If it is not you who is choosing what you will believe, or have faith in, or hope and wish for, who is?

Certainly, we are all restricted by physics and nature as we choose and exercise our choices, but they are demonstrably our restricted choices.

Regards

DL 

3 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

Can I choose what I believe, or not?

We all demonstrably have a free will to believe as we wish, within the bounds of nature.

Some are not too bright though and believe in the supernatural.

If born in a right wing, the DNA likely tells those people to lie as the best strategy for survival.

Regards

DL 

12 minutes ago, French Patriot said:

We all demonstrably have a free will to believe as we wish, within the bounds of nature.

Some are not too bright though and believe in the supernatural.

If born in a right wing, the DNA likely tells those people to lie as the best strategy for survival.

Regards

DL 

So you can choose to believe in God tomorrow, if you decide to?

1 hour ago, French Patriot said:

Only if you ignore English definitions.

I speak 3 languages and yours is defective.

Regards

DL

I apologize if you’re insulted.  You do seem to be using the word “choose” to mean “convinced”.   That’s not the common useage.

I can be convinced by evidence.  But I cannot choose to believe something prior to being convinced by evidence. 

Again, if you have no further knowledge than you do now, could you choose to believe in a Bigfoot?

• 1 year later...