CNN's Ratings Keep Plummeting.

Thank You Tide Pods.

https://nypost.com/2022/01/12/cnn-sees-ratings-dive-by-90-from-2021-coverage/?fbclid=IwAR36YT2pdv04kroOwBHCbzbBSxtxBqunTNid46CxaO9EE_i9KdZ6839XDHc

CNN had 4.2 million total primetime viewers during the first week of 2021 and only 705,000 last week.

CNN's viewership is down 83% week over week. They went months last year without having a single show with over 1M viewers.

Meanwhile, Fox is crushing it and even Forbes has to admit it: https://www.forbes.com/sites/andymeek/2021/12/29/fox-news-in-2021-ratings-dominance-even-with-trump-gone-plus-fox-weather-and-gutfeld-crushes-late-night/?sh=7af5e8a7605c

Tucker Carlson had the highest-rated program in cable news.

Here's the craziest part:

According to Nielsen MRI Fusion data, it’s also interesting to note that Fox and CNN have a near-identical share of the liberal audience for cable TV news (29% and 28% for CNN and Fox, respectively, with 43% going to MSNBC). Meanwhile, 45% of self-professed independents tune into Fox, with 31% and 24% going to MSNBC and CNN, respectively.

The latest ratings data as of the time of this writing, meanwhile, shows that Fox was #1 in all of cable news for the sixth year in a row in 2021. The network averaged 1.3 million total day viewers this year, while neither CNN or MSNBC broke 1 million for the same period (787,000 and 919,000, respectively).

That's really bad news for Dems. Their muppets are getting exposure to some actual news, as are independents, which explains why Biden's poll numbers are tanking as well. He's down to 33%. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WestCanMan said:

That's really bad news for Dems. Their muppets are getting exposure to some actual news, as are independents, which explains why Biden's poll numbers are tanking as well. He's down to 33%. 

I know I watch more Fox News and more Tucker, Hannity and Ingraham than I used to. Notwithstanding Chris Wallace, to call Fox News news in any old-school journalistic sense is ridiculous, it's like taking Mad Magazine seriously. Too many people do though and there is little doubt Fox also has a lot of influence over far too many powerful politicians. Besides the sheer spectacle I like to keep a finger on the pulse of what passes now for mainstream right-wing conservative intelligentsia - forewarned is forearmed and because its blindingly obvious who'll be driving America beyond 2022 I have to wonder how many others do as well. I suspect a good portion of Fox's ratings can be attributed to that alone.

Edited by eyeball
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

I know I watch more Fox News and more Tucker, Hannity and Ingraham than I used to. Notwithstanding Chris Wallace, to call Fox News news in any old-school journalistic sense is ridiculous, it's like taking Mad Magazine seriously. Too many people do though and there is little doubt Fox also has a lot of influence over far too many powerful politicians. Besides the sheer spectacle I like to keep a finger on the pulse of what passes now for mainstream right-wing conservative intelligentsia - forewarned is forearmed and because its blindingly obvious who'll be driving America beyond 2022 I have to wonder how many others do as well. I suspect a good portion of Fox's ratings can be attributed to that alone.

Its interesting.  I watch CNN occasionally for the same reason. To hear what the other side thinks. I can generally get through 10 minutes before I have to change the channel. 

Question: what do you find false about the FOX reporting? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Its interesting.  I watch CNN occasionally for the same reason. To hear what the other side thinks. I can generally get through 10 minutes before I have to change the channel. 

Question: what do you find false about the FOX reporting? 

The idea that there's much reporting.  It's almost entirely entertainment and opinion and has been all along. It's definitely easier in small short doses.  The endless use of cliche references to lefties is probably their most annoying habit.

Mark Levin reminds me of a right-wing Howard Beale.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, eyeball said:

Fox is partisan, to be sure, but they’re the best news network in North America by far. And yes, it’s news, not like CNN and MSNBC. 
CTV, CBC, Global, NBC, NPR, etc are all pure garbage. 
The main difference is that all of those other networks rush out with a bunch of lies, like “COVID CAME FROM A BAT AND A PANGOLIN AND SAYING ANYTHING ELSE IS QANON GARBAGE! ANYONE WHO SAYS BSL4 NEEDS TO BE BANNED FROM SOCIETY!”  

That’s not news and it’s got nothing to do with democracy or science. It’s just the new normal under Trudeau and Biden. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, eyeball said:

The idea that there's much reporting.  It's almost entirely entertainment and opinion and has been all along. It's definitely easier in small short doses.  The endless use of cliche references to lefties is probably their most annoying habit.

Levin us unwatchable. It’s more hubris than anything else. 
For all I know he may know what he’s talking about, but I’d never listen long enough to find out. 
Brett Baier is the news anchor. Best in NA.
The Five is a good show, but Gutfeld is getting a bit angry and clownish lately.

Jesse Watters is always good, and Hannity has his moments as well. He was by far the most informed TV personality regarding collusion. 

Tucker is hit and miss, but usually good. 

I watch about 30-45 mins/day of Fox. Canadian news makes me want to throw up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WestCanMan said:

Levin us unwatchable.

As Mark Levin has said, he has one of those voices the come at you late at night over the AM band of your car radio. The best part is...he doesn't care. He's like Joe Rogan and owes little to anyone.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, eyeball said:

I was given Levin's latest book for Christmas. It reads the way he talks.

But I'd disagree. FOX presents news. Brett Baier is great for raw news. My wife loves Carlson and I'm a fan of Ingram.

CNN and MSNBC are bereft of news. They're now 100% propaganda.

In Canada the only real news left is The National Post.

Edited by Nationalist
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, eyeball said:

Don't forget coverage of the perpetual election horse-race, Angertainment, dispatches from the culture war etc.  

Television news no longer serves in the domain of functions that were intended for the press, ie. inform, provide counter-point, investigate, keep power in check etc.  

My latest idea is to stop using right- and left- but pro-worker and anti-worker... for clarity.  This would help us deprioritize culture war issues (neither pro- nor anti- worker) and also dispel the ideas that the Democrats are 100% pro-worker as well as that the Republicans are more than 0% pro-worker.

10 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Don't forget coverage of the perpetual election horse-race, Angertainment, dispatches from the culture war etc.  

Television news no longer serves in the domain of functions that were intended for the press, ie. inform, provide counter-point, investigate, keep power in check etc.  

My latest idea is to stop using right- and left- but pro-worker and anti-worker... for clarity.  This would help us deprioritize culture war issues (neither pro- nor anti- worker) and also dispel the ideas that the Democrats are 100% pro-worker as well as that the Republicans are more than 0% pro-worker.

0%?

Lol...showing your true color eh?

Question: if Republicans are 0%pro-worker, how is it so many POCs benefitted from the policies of the last Republican administration? 

Edited by Nationalist
  • Like 1

Proof mainstream media is used for thought control.

I would not consider CBC or CTV any better than CNN.  Yesterday, Jan 15th, CNN reported the hostage-taking in a Texas synagogue and gave the details of the reason why.  Yet the same day, CBC and CTV would not give the details or reason why.  It appears Canadians are to a significant extent being kept in the dark about certain things in the world.  If you want more information about the hostage-taking, the CBC referred viewers to their CBC news website instead.  Even today, after the incident is over, CTV did not report the reason for the hostage-taking.  Is this more proof that Canadian mainstream media is being used for thought control?

Edited by blackbird
  • Like 1

CNN is the flagship for media doom and gloomers to follow. At least Fox News has the occasional feel-good story in addition to broader coverage than all things Covid-19, and the biased lies of CRT. I am sick of hearing nothing but that crap. I would expect most reasonable people want to turn it off.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, eyeball said:

I don't get to see all of the programs on FOX because I'm normally at work during the week but in my humble opinion FOX is just so much better than the competition. Yes they do have a lot of opinion shows with a conservative slant but perhaps the biggest reason for that is because most of the competition is the polar opposite. And quite frankly, none of the host's on the competing shows come across as very intelligent. Think Don Lemon, Brian Stelter, Rachel Maddow. They remind of of AOC behind a mask.

My favourite FOX shows, The Five, Watters World(last night was the last show, he's moving into the weekday 7pm slot I believe) , Tucker Carlson, Judge Jeanine, Hannity, Gutfeld. The only FOX personality I didn't care for was Chris Wallace(huge ego).Most of the host's on FOX are just really enjoyable to watch.

I think Bret Baier is the best news anchor on tv. How can anyone watch MediaBuzz with Howard Kurtz and not admit this host is totally fair and balanced in his coverage of all stories? 

Was there anyone on CNN that was truly fair and balanced and not openly hostile to Republicans? Even their crime coverage is terrible, as in "SUV plows into parade killing some." They couldn't bring themselves to come out and talk about the driver who happened to be black.

I think there may have been a time when CNN was pretty good many years ago but oh how they have gone steadily downhill since then.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ironstone said:

I think there may have been a time when CNN was pretty good many years ago but oh how they have gone steadily downhill since then.

Yet they and the rest of the bought media continue to pump out the message from entrenched leadership, as if this is what everybody actually wants.

I suspect the silent majority is changing the channel...

• Like 2

The irony of it all, CNN spent years demonizing Trump but the fact is they need him for ratings. They need a boogeyman.

As far as bang for the buck goes, CNN is extremely poor value but even with a paltry amount of viewers they must at least serve the purpose of a tax write off for their parent company?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ironstone said:

... they must at least serve the purpose of a tax write off for their parent company?

Big media corps have a news component.

Disney - ABC; Viacom - CBS; Universal - NBC; Warner Media - CNN; FOX - Fox News

I think it serves a strategic purpose - they seem to be mostly loss leaders.

Decrying corporate media used to be a mainstay of pro-worker activists... these days there isn't a viable alternative either...

1 hour ago, ironstone said:

Yes they do have a lot of opinion shows with a conservative slant but perhaps the biggest reason for that is because most of the competition is the polar opposite.

Really? How many times per hour do you hear someone like Joyce Napier or Chantal Hebert use pronouns like radical and extreme or fascist or refer to infamous right-wingers from the past whenever they need to make a point when criticizing some conservative or a policy thereof?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ironstone said:

Was there anyone on CNN that was truly fair and balanced and not openly hostile to Republicans?

Doesn't seem like it but since when did two wrongs start making a right and why can't conservatives rise above this base instinct to act no better than the competition? I thought you guys prided yourselves on always being the adults in the room.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ironstone said:

I wonder how long Fox will be able to hang onto all its new viewers once it sinks in just how boring and mindless the constant vilifying theme underscoring virtually everything that passes for commentary gets.

From the above it certainly sounds like most of us and even Fox fans are only capable of stomaching so much Fox.  I'm betting much of the interest will wane and wear off just as fast as its risen. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

This is one of the main reasons I say we should be outlawing in-camera lobbying of public officials - bypass the media altogether and keep power in check more directly ourselves.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eyeball said:

This is one of the main reasons I say we should be outlawing in-camera lobbying of public officials - bypass the media altogether and keep power in check more directly ourselves.

The Canadian system largely took the money out of it, which means that actually winning votes is important.. this is why our system is starting to get way better. The American system is purely driven on corporate money to Representatives

• Like 1