Nancy Pelosi, insider trading, and the sad state of corruption in Congress

3 minutes ago, ironstone said:

This link might shed some light on how Nancy Pelosi got super rich so quickly.

Nancy Pelosi, husband have gotten very wealthy during her House career (lawenforcementtoday.com)

Pelosi has a big role in making the rules that might help or hinder big companies like Visa. If there was anything in this story by Jesse Watters  that is patently false and defamatory then why isn't Nancy Pelosi suing Watters for defamation?

This topic is about Nancy Pelosi and insider trading. Democrats and Republicans engage in this but it doesn't make it right. They have a huge leg up on the rest of us.

Again, remind me of what they have done that is illegal and should be charged for. 

Im not getting through to you.  Stick to your bible. 

19 minutes ago, Colin Norris said:

Again, remind me of what they have done that is illegal and should be charged for. 

Im not getting through to you.  Stick to your bible. 

Sometimes things may be legal but also highly unethical. In this particular case Nancy Pelosi plays a huge role in making rules that affect the big corporations. If you bothered to read or watch the link you would know more about it and perhaps understand what she's doing doesn't pass the smell test. 

I don't claim to be a rocket scientist but I have enough common sense that someone with your mindset and intellect can't brainwash me?

I'll keep an open mind , but not to nonsense.

4 minutes ago, ironstone said:

Sometimes things may be legal but also highly unethical. In this particular case Nancy Pelosi plays a huge role in making rules that affect the big corporations. If you bothered to read or watch the link you would know more about it and perhaps understand what she's doing doesn't pass the smell test. 

I don't claim to be a rocket scientist but I have enough common sense that someone with your mindset and intellect can't brainwash me?

I'll keep an open mind , but not to nonsense.

So as I predicted, you have no evidence at all. Just pure hate and innuendos to drmi use the democrats. 

How does that lying and hate fit with your God who te asches the opposite? 

Do you get special dispensation to hate democrats? 

In fact, your mind is so open that I think your brains have fallen out. Stick with your bible. 

26 minutes ago, Colin Norris said:

So as I predicted, you have no evidence at all. Just pure hate and innuendos to drmi use the democrats. 

How does that lying and hate fit with your God who te asches the opposite? 

Do you get special dispensation to hate democrats? 

In fact, your mind is so open that I think your brains have fallen out. Stick with your bible. 

Once again no offense to you but you REALLY should turn on spell check.

In 2012, Obama signed into law the 'Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge (STOCK) Act' which required members of congress to disclose equity trading within 45 days of transactions. For non disclosure within 45 days, there was a paltry $200 fine.  The latest bill introduced by members of congress the 'Ban Conflicted Trading Act' bans the trading of stocks, bonds, and options, by members of congress including their spouses and children. Now if the new bill is passed, and Pelosi wants to 'participate in the free market economy', she'll have to do it through things such as mutual funds and index funds. Can they still make a killing?  Hell yeah! Just not as big a killing.

21 hours ago, Aristides said:

Did any of you guys ask the same question of Trump and his family? Thought not.

For the 4 years Trump was in office, he had the FBI and the US Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York crawling all over his ass.  If it wasn't Trump, they targeted anyone in his administration, or basically anyone he came into contact with.  There are 2 types of justice going on in the US today, one for democrats (and their supporters) and one for republicans (and their supporters). And it's only getting worse since the democrats took office. 

14 hours ago, Aristides said:

Bullshit, your link was a direct attack on Pelozi.  Are you paid? Are you real?

Those of us who are more moderate and/or conservative are aware that there are politicians on both sides of the aisle that engage in this practice. It may not be illegal but it's certainly not ethical either. What's wrong with calling it out?

Sen. Hawley introduces new bill to ban insider trading in Congress | The Post Millennial

There is also a similar bill being proposed by some Democrats.

As The Daily Wire reports, members of Congress and their immediate families exchanged over $630 million in stocks in 2021. Outrage over this statistic was compounded by a recent comment by Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who when asked about the issue cited America's free market and said members of Congress "should be able to participate in that."

1 hour ago, ironstone said:

Those of us who are more moderate and/or conservative are aware that there are politicians on both sides of the aisle that engage in this practice. It may not be illegal but it's certainly not ethical either. What's wrong with calling it out?

Sen. Hawley introduces new bill to ban insider trading in Congress | The Post Millennial

There is also a similar bill being proposed by some Democrats.

As The Daily Wire reports, members of Congress and their immediate families exchanged over $630 million in stocks in 2021. Outrage over this statistic was compounded by a recent comment by Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who when asked about the issue cited America's free market and said members of Congress "should be able to participate in that."

Inside trading is buying and selling stocks using information that isn't available to the public. If you aren't willing to prove someone is guilty the only way around it is banning members of government and their families from owning any stocks. That would probably disqualify every member Congress, the Senate, President, VP and probably Supreme Court justice. If they owned a particular stock, every member would profit or lose equally whether they voted for or against a particular legislation. 

I wonder how many people would be wiling to run under those conditions. 

On 1/12/2022 at 9:45 AM, QuebecOverCanada said:

Nancy Pelosi was asked a question by a journalist if whether or not members of Congress should be able to buy individual stocks when they are making laws. 

Her answer is stunningly honest, she says politicians have a right to 'participate' in the economy.

Pelosi's portfolio consists recently of Big Tech companies, monopolies which she said she will back down from regulating according to sources in Congress quoted by the NYP.

"Late last month, the House Speaker disclosed that the Pelosis scooped up millions in bullish call options for stocks including Google, Salesforce, Micron Technology and Roblox. At the same, some insiders say she has slow-walked efforts to rein in Big Tech."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2022/01/07/nancy-pelosi-makes-30-million-from-tech-stocks-scoffs-at-push-to-ban-congressional-trades/amp/

Is it limited to Pelosi?

Not at all according to the New York Mag:

"But getting away with it generally isn’t much of a problem. Members of Congress, for example, have protections enshrined in the Constitution that make it difficult for them to be prosecuted for insider trading, and they are not subject to conflict-of-interest laws that generally apply to the executive branch.

The four senators reportedly investigated by the Justice Department during the early days of the pandemic were Richard Burr, a Republican from North Carolina; Dianne Feinstein, a Democrat from California; Kelly Loeffler, the Republican from Georgia who lost her Senate seat; and Jim Inhofe, a Republican from Oklahoma. The probe followed news reports that the senators sold stock after receiving briefings on the dangers of COVID before the public knew about it — and before markets began to tank on the news."

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2022/01/washington-d-c-has-an-insider-trading-problem.html

---

How do the Americans fix this issue if those who could fix it are the ones benefiting from it?

We don't.  As we americans know.