Quebec introducing a Canadian first, taxing the unvaccinated.

4 hours ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

Quebec has been always ahead of other provinces. This time too, a Canadian first, taxing the unvaccinated claiming that the 10% minority are taking up 50% of hospital beds and more than 50% of ICUs so if they choose not to vaccinate (without a medical reason or exemption) then They have to pay higher tax to cover the extra cost on Health Care. This tax is similar to Federal taxes on Tobacco for example and has been around for many years and the logic accepted by society for many years is that since smokers are sicker in the long term  requiring more health care, then they will have to pay more taxes on these products.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59960689

Heart disease kills three times as many Canadians as covid every year.  When’s the fatty tax being introduced?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

No wrong. Aging is not a choice but refusing vaccine or smoking tobacco or drinking alcohol is.

so what? you aren't even punishing the people who run up the costs

just people whose behavior you don't like

you're resentment of choices you don't like is not grounds for taxing people

this is just vindictive and evil totalitarian shit you endorse

just because you don't like someone's choices is not grounds to treat them like Jews in Nazi Germany

Edited by Yzermandius19
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Shady said:

Heart disease kills three times as many Canadians as covid every year.  When’s the fatty tax being introduced?

the vindictive totalitarian assholes will get around to that eventually

their hatred and fear is all gas and no breaks

they scapegoat anyone to deflect blame from the Soviet Bread Line Health Care

it's never the governments fault, just the people they fear and loathe

no amount of reasoning with them will change their minds

Edited by Yzermandius19
  • Like 3

This is a first, and if "proportionality" and similar arguments are not a) examined b) reviewed and thoroughly discussed and c) challenged through all channels possible by the society immediately, there's no way of telling where it would lead, and why it would end. They are using a simple, seemingly obvious to a scared commoner case, but the precedent will be there, and the range of arbitrary bureaucratic instruments to achieve their own, not necessarily and by far the society objectives expanded exponentially.

Just stop to think for a minute: is anybody here talking, considering linking astronomical, on the average level of income in the society compensations of top public officials to their results and performance? Why not, while charges and taxes on the little folk are added and imposed at will?

Edited by myata

The anti vaxxers are making a strong argument against freedom. When some one like me with an arts degree in history can tell a person with post graduate degrees in medicine and immunology and years of experience, how they are wrong and I am right because I read it on the internet, there comes a point when, if I am too stupid to follow their advice, I have shut up and do what I'm told. 

If you don't want to pay the tax, excersize your right to get the vaccine free of charge. It doesn't hurt, it is free, and it is safe. It is no big deal. A billion people have done the right thing with no issues.

9 hours ago, Accountability Now said:

1. Their health minister just abruptly quit yesterday before this announcement was made. I am only guessing but perhaps people in their heath care system might not agree with Legault?

The health minister did not resign. Horacio Arruda, the Director of Public Health resigned because he felt he was becoming a distraction because he was being blamed for the restrictions imposed.

32 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

The anti vaxxers are making a strong argument against freedom. When some one like me with an arts degree in history can tell a person with post graduate degrees in medicine and immunology and years of experience, how they are wrong and I am right because I read it on the internet, there comes a point when, if I am too stupid to follow their advice, I have shut up and do what I'm told. 

If you don't want to pay the tax, excersize your right to get the vaccine free of charge. It doesn't hurt, it is free, and it is safe. It is no big deal. A billion people have done the right thing with no issues.

if it's no big deal

then no need for totalitarian taxes and stripping rights

the burden of proof is on the people proposing extreme measures to prove their utility relative to the massive downsides

if you can't do that

then fuck off

there is no strong argument against freedom

if they don't get the vaccine, it's no big deal, if they get it, it's no big deal

you have no good argument supporting your position

you're just being resentful and vindictive

while pretending that is somehow logical instead of fueled by destructive emotionalism

if you prefer to live under totalitarianism, move to China and leave the anti-vaxxers alone,  problem solved

wanting to turn Canada into Communist China is just a dick move, btfo

Edited by Yzermandius19

9 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

These are not free places anymore.

There's a saying like "you don't know a person until you've seen them in a difficult time". Same goes for a country. And it looks like something we can know, now. In any time of a challenge seek a) who will dictate, no questions and explanations needed and b) who will be to blame (including for dictators failures). Nope, nothing exciting and original. Sigh.

4 minutes ago, myata said:

There's a saying like "you don't know a person until you've seen them in a difficult time". Same goes for a country. And it looks like something we can know, now. In any time of a challenge seek a) who will dictate, no questions and explanations needed and b) who will be to blame (including for dictators failures). Nope, nothing exciting and original. Sigh.

indeed

and this pandemic has exposed the totalitarian tendencies of a lot of the population

they will bear their fangs for something as low impact as covid

showing how ethically and intellectually bankrupt they really are

using covid to justify their counterproductive power grabs

Edited by Yzermandius19

31 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

indeed

and this pandemic has exposed the totalitarian tendencies of a lot of the population

they will bear their fangs for something as low impact as covid

showing how ethically and intellectually bankrupt they really are

using covid to justify their counterproductive power grabs

Yes, it's a bit of an eye-opener how quickly people go on the attack against others, an attitude promoted by the very top of government itself. Mr. Trudeau has driven a wedge between people, whether it be by colour, sex, and now vaccination. The Prime Minister has taken Canada back in time about 30 years.

= Anti-progressive

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Queenmandy85 said:

The health minister did not resign. Horacio Arruda, the Director of Public Health resigned because he felt he was becoming a distraction because he was being blamed for the restrictions imposed.

Sorry. I knew his position but incorrectly titled it.

Every head public health doctor is being blamed and called out right now. Only Arruda resigned and more importantly Legault let him. As is the case in all politics…there is more to he story than what he’s telling you. 

1 hour ago, Queenmandy85 said:

It doesn't hurt,

Tell that to the handful of people that have died from the vaccine. 

In the US they are arguing the mandates in the Supreme Court and I thought an interesting argument was made as the one guy said never had OSHA instituted a mandate to protect people’s health that in itself can cause a health hazard. 

1 hour ago, myata said:

Unlike the two world wars, I doubt this country is still capable of pulling together on anything. It is all about me and mine.

19 minutes ago, Accountability Now said:

there is more to he story than what he’s telling you. 

Sure is. Arruda quit right when the announcement about a fine being levied on the non-vaccinated.

He was also criticized for saying things like "Masks may cause a false sense of security", and also that it might be a good idea to let people get Omicron. These comments are similar to mine, and fly in the face of the totalitarian shut-down narrative.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

These comments are similar to mine, and fly in the face of the totalitarian shut-down narrative.

A system on an authoritarian wreck trek is weeding and squeezing out the last vestiges of sense and reason. Once we were reading about it in the book and now, just watch it.

Of course, "just raise taxes for everyone". A universal unbeatable solution for the new age. Like you were expecting a surprise here.

Edited by myata

28 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Sure is. Arruda quit right when the announcement about a fine being levied on the non-vaccinated.

He was also criticized for saying things like "Masks may cause a false sense of security", and also that it might be a good idea to let people get Omicron. These comments are similar to mine, and fly in the face of the totalitarian shut-down narrative.

notice how any public health official that doesn't go along with the narrative is forced to resign or never given a position of power in the first place

so they can go on pretending all the experts agree with the totalitarian bullshit being peddled by purging the non-believers

Edited by Yzermandius19