Mandatory Covid vaccination in Canada now a possibility.

4 minutes ago, myata said:

Ok this is bordering on philosophical aspects with virtually unlimited breadth and depth of possible questions and angles. Let's note however that even if a duty of an individual to the collective is assumed, it does not necessarily mean or imply unquestionable and unconditional agreement with the dominant views or government agendas, even democratic governments.

Indeed, it can become quite complex.

I would argue the opposite(in agreement), it is the duty of the individual to question the dominant views or government agendas for the sake of the collective.  The issue with dominant views or government agendas is they do not necessarily reflect the collective, instead they reflect the individuals who hold the power to introduce those agendas. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, myata said:

Exactly

It is why I think Covid is a distraction, what matters is how power in society is distributed, this tends to come from wealth. 

Is it possible for corporations or institutions to fund and /or select individuals with certain beliefs, political standings or ideologies? If the majority of these corporations or institutions share a specific ideology could this ideology become prevalent within society, irrelevant of the future negative outcomes for society? 

4 minutes ago, Winston said:

If the majority of these corporations or institutions share a specific ideology could this ideology become prevalent within society, irrelevant of the future negative outcomes for society? 

I agree. We delegated the responsibility to weigh and balance these questions to elected representatives and offices, but it's not clear how effective or even capable they are in this critical for the society area. Covid for one, is a good illustration. The society has evolved and our understanding, approaches and instruments of dealing with issues must evolve too or we'll keep returning to these issues and no one can guarantee that it will always be fixed with a new procedure or law. Again taking Covid as example, health bureaucracy has already floated the idea of ongoing indiscriminate mRNA vaccination. This is novel; everyone is affected; no one knows what it could and wouldn't do to the population immunity in the long run, in generations. And there ready to go with nothing to balance or stop them if need be. That is plain scary, to me at least.

4 hours ago, Infidel Dog said:

The lawyer in the case made allegations on social media. It has use within that context and the article never claimed it was anything else. In fact he specifically stated that's all it was.

If you didn't understand that the problem was on your end.

No the problem is that you seem to think a link to a ranting lawyer's social media page that doesn't even direct you to the statement they're referring to is somehow useable information.  

That'd be like me making up some bullshit about Donald Trump being the mastermind behind Epstein's pedophile cult, and then linking you some Hilary Clinton fangirl's Instagram page as my citation - so that we're really on the same page I'll make sure it's an Italian fangirl.  I'll leave it to you to sift through years of posts to see whether or not there's actually anything there.  Call it an exercise in "starting a discussion".  ?

Edited by Moonbox

15 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Yeah I don’t respect people without arguments.  He’s a lazy heckler. Weak

Not much to respond to when you're just parroting slogans like "woke totalitarian liberal media" blah bah barf.  The amount of mental effort that goes into those angry bromidic ramblings gets responded to with an equal amount of effort.  The difference is that I understand that just pounding more words on the keyboard doesn't automatically lead to a more substantial argument.  

14 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

No, I'm thinking if somebody tells me this is a story from social media that's the way I should accept it. If you want to believe it's something else then that's on you.

Except they can't even link you to the actual story or claims.  Disregard the fact that it's the lowest common denominator who gets their news, references and citations from social media, don't you at least think they could cut an excerpt out from the lawyer's statement, or provide a direct link to it?  This is layers on top of layers of stupid.  

Edited by Moonbox

8 minutes ago, myata said:

Again taking Covid as example, health bureaucracy has already floated the idea of ongoing indiscriminate mRNA vaccination. This is novel; everyone is affected; no one knows what it could and wouldn't do to the population immunity in the long run, in generations. And there ready to go with nothing to balance or stop them if need be. That is plain scary, to me at least.

Its okay, if its for profit. 

All jokes aside, there seems to be this idea that a "conspiracy" must exist in order for those who are responsible to be complacent or those deliberately take actions that do not benefit the collective, I am not sure why? This occurs naturally in the world.  

19 minutes ago, Winston said:

Its okay, if its for profit. 

Except I did not mean private corporations, it's clear that they cannot and won't be able to operate on this kind of timeframes. It's about our public officials who seem to be no less, actually more excited and eager than any of their business peers. How did this happen?

Which brings a question: it's a standard practice for a while now to state potential conflict of interest in publications. But what about our public officials, figures and experts we hear and see in the media trying to influence our behavior and opinions? Do they have any such obligations can't help wondering.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moonbox said:

Not much to respond to when you're just parroting slogans like "woke totalitarian liberal media" blah bah barf.  The amount of mental effort that goes into those angry bromidic ramblings gets responded to with an equal amount of effort.  The difference is that I understand that just pounding more words on the keyboard doesn't automatically lead to a more substantial argument.  

I’ve never used that phrase.  Lazy pidgin holing.  Liberal versus Conservative is over.  Those are quaint notions from a world that no longer exists.  Our political parties have demonstrated how little discretion they have.  Canada is very vulnerable.  Even the US is struggling to maintain its freedoms, but it’s certainly faring better than we are.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Aristides said:

Gee, a doctor wants people to get vaccinated. How revolutionary.

There are just about 35% of Canadian who have received the booster shot.

Many do not want taking it.

In six months you can consider 65% of Canadians unvaccinated.   Revoke their "passports" and see what happens.

15 minutes ago, cougar said:

There are just about 35% of Canadian who have received the booster shot.

Many do not want taking it.

In six months you can consider 65% of Canadians unvaccinated.   Revoke their "passports" and see what happens.

Had mine in November. Why one would have two and not a third is beyond me. Seems more like bloody mindedness than good sense.

20 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Had mine in November. Why one would have two and not a third is beyond me. Seems more like bloody mindedness than good sense.

Because the third dose only boosts immunity 15% and a 4th makes very little difference to immunity.  Why would I want my kids who were at low risk of serious illness from Covid before they got fully vaccinated now get a third shot?   On what basis?  And government is considering making a third vaccine a required part of a vaccine passport, which is required to enjoy basic freedoms like taking a train?   I don’t think so.  You’re a cheerleader for mindlessness.  I’m being nice.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

17 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Why one would have two and not a third is beyond me.

Yes, yes.  Get the fourth, too.  And the fifth, sixth, seventh....... keep playing Russian Roulette.

While you're at it, go to Russia and get their Spudnick V vax.  Then go to China and get their Sinopharm vax.  

Can't be too protected, right?