Time to Declare Endemic

9 minutes ago, myata said:

It's all in the word. "Care for me" because "only me and my Gods are the right ones" vs. care for the reality, for the truth, for their rights, their own choices. Not the same word. No, not even close.

That's heavy man.  Is this sort of thinking you'd like to see guiding our decision makers?

Thank you, Jordan, for declaring the obvious today:

“These systems are now shaking. We’re compromising them seriously with this unending and unpredictable stream of restrictions, lockdowns, regulations and curfews. We’re also undermining our entire monetary system, with the provision of unending largesse from government coffers, to ease the stress of the COVID response. We’re playing with fire. We’ve demolished two Christmas seasons in a row. Life is short. These are rare occasions. We’re stopping kids from attending school. We’re sowing mistrust in our institutions in a seriously dangerous manner. We’re frightening people to make them comply. We’re producing bureaucratic institutions that hypothetically hold public health in the highest regard, but subordinating all our properly political institutions to that end, because we lack leadership, and rely on ultimately unreliable opinion polls to govern broadscale political policy. I’ve never seen breakdown in institutional trust on this scale before in my lifetime.  I was recently in Nashville, Tennessee. No lockdowns. No masks. No COVID regulations to speak of. People are going about their lives. Why can that be the case in Tennessee (and in other U.S. states, such as Florida) when there are curfews (curfews!) in Quebec, two years after the pandemic started, with a vaccination rate of nearly 80 per cent? When BC is still limiting social gatherings? When we are putting tremendous and unsustainable strain on all the complex systems that have served us so well, and made us so comfortable, in the midst of the troubles of our lives?  The cure has become worse than the disease.”

Article: https://apple.news/A6_z0o93xQlum525KOKEriw

End all restrictions immediately!!! 

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, myata said:

The problem is not how bad it is. The real problem is the vector, the way forward and out. There's none, here. Do you see it, or know what it can be?

Yes.  The Americans have found it in states like Tennessee and Florida, as Peterson notes.  Covid is a manufactured crisis at this point, resulting from diverting healthcare resources to obsolete pandemic measures like testing, tracing, and screening.  We must end restrictions and focus on treating very sick people, whether or not they have Covid.  Without testing and screening, far more people are eligible to work because people with mild cases or who are asymptomatic aren’t labeled positive and required to isolate, ending staff shortages.  Having kids at school also allows people to work.  The issue isn’t having or getting Covid, it’s seriousness of illness.

Covid is inevitable.  Most people will get it.  It's endemic. Time to move on. The vulnerable can take extra precautions. Our ICU's aren't full, nor are our hospitals. We need to stop looking for Covid except where its symptoms appear in very sick people.  We need to treat these people with the best available treatments.  Health Canada needs to get on the job of using cutting edge monoclonal treatments and approving treatment pills (FDA already has).  

Our psychology must change from restrictions and masking and staying at home to avoid a common illness that is mild in most people.  We must now return to normal life and live with Covid in our midst.  Encourage people to get vaccinated, beef up critical care and ICU capacity, apply the best treatments, and ensure that all available protections are available to the vulnerable, including work from home.  Beyond that, return to normal, unrestricted life.  We have to get there as soon as possible.  

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

We need to treat these people with the best available treatments.

Many reasonable methods can be tried and applied but again the question is: why? Why would a bureaucrat want to move their a... chair if by doing same exact thing as a hundred years back they would get and expect to get exactly the same? It changes nothing for them. Between the first SARS epidemic twenty years back and now, how many reports on epidemiological preparedness were written out of taxpayers pocket, and what has changed, anything?

Ford announced the same old response to Covid today: “Lockdowns continue in regions as needed.  They’ll be lifted over here provisionally on this date but can be reinstated at any time.  We need to keep out all variants.”

Doesn’t he see how futile these lockdowns have become?  We’re right back where we were last year before the vaccines.  It’s clear that there’s no commitment to restore freedoms because “we need to bend the curve.”  Of course the longer we attempt to stem the flow the longer the pandemic continues.

The time is here to resist.  Oppose all lockdowns and restrictions.  You are not free and there’s no end in sight to your enslavement.  End all restrictions unconditionally!  Don’t you see what you’ve given up, perhaps permanently?  The longer this continues, the more we assent to permanent restrictions.  We have constitutional protections for a reason.  If we continue to allow their violation, might as well rip it up and admit that we’ve lost our democracy.

God help us!

• Like 1

The seasonal flu, which we have not been able to eradicate and has nearly the same IFR as covid, is endemic.

There will never be a perfect time to drop restrictions.  If you look hard enough, there will always be some reason that can be used to justify continued restrictions.

Nothing is perfect.

Life is not perfect.

Life is meant to be lived and this is not living.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Goddess said:

The seasonal flu, which we have not been able to eradicate and has nearly the same IFR as covid, is endemic.

There will never be a perfect time to drop restrictions.  If you look hard enough, there will always be some reason that can be used to justify continued restrictions.

Nothing is perfect.

Life is not perfect.

Life is meant to be lived and this is not living.

Sure. But Omicron has presented a unique challenge, not seen anytime in the Pandemic. 

No one can say they don't know anyone that got COVID anymore. Now this version isn't as pathogenic as previous versions and we have good vaccine protection, so that's good news. But it's moving through the community so fast that simple percentages make for difficulty in the Healthcare system. 

The other big concern is the labour shortages Omicron is creating and not just in Healthcare. People are getting sick all across many industries. I'm even noticing the parking lot at my work is sparser than usual. 

Perhaps, after this wave, we can declare that a COVID infection that doesn't require such scrutiny and finally then we will have achieved an Endemic virus. A first step, towards that, happened in Ontario where publicly-funded, PCR tests were only given to those that really needed them. 

Edited by Boges
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Boges said:

Sure. But Omicron has presented a unique challenge, not seen anytime in the Pandemic. 

No one can say they don't know anyone that got COVID anymore. Now this version isn't as pathogenic as previous version and we have good vaccine protection, so that's good new. But it's moving through the community so fast that simple percentage make for difficulty in the Healthcare system. 

The other big concern is the labour shortages Omicron is creating and not just in Healthcare. People are getting sick all across many industries. I'm even noticing the parking lot at my work is sparser than usual. 

Perhaps, after this wave, we can declare that a COVID infection that doesn't require such scrutiny and finally then we will have achieved an Endemic virus. A first step, towards that, happened in Ontario where publicly-funded, PCR tests were only given to those that really needed them. 

If I may..."Perhaps"???

I think you're missing the point here. There is no "Perhaps" anymore. IMO, we should first move to where we were a month ago, with most things mostly open...with masks when thought necessary. Not because the limits would help anyone...we all know they don't now...but so that the more...upset among us don't start freaking right out. Then...about May...open season.

Now understand that this would happen as spring and summer hit, so the infection rates will drop like stones. It'll be safe...till about mid-October, when infections will rise. Much like...OMG...the bloody flu. Make vaccines available to those who wish a yearly dose, but drop any requirements. Those who are now 'pure-bloods' will not take the vax.! Accept that and move friggin' on.

2 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

If I may..."Perhaps"???

I think you're missing the point here. There is no "Perhaps" anymore. IMO, we should first move to where we were a month ago, with most things mostly open...with masks when thought necessary. Not because the limits would help anyone...we all know they don't now...but so that the more...upset among us don't start freaking right out. Then...about May...open season.

Now understand that this would happen as spring and summer hit, so the infection rates will drop like stones. It'll be safe...till about mid-October, when infections will rise. Much like...OMG...the bloody flu. Make vaccines available to those who wish a yearly dose, but drop any requirements. Those who are now 'pure-bloods' will not take the vax.! Accept that and move friggin' on.

I'm not sure what the end-game here is either. 

Restrictions in Ontario are set to lifted in two weeks. Fat chance anyone in the Healthcare system would support that. But the implications are that large sectors of the economy have to stay shuttered because small percentages of the population are getting very sick. Is this something we have to endure going forward? 

Do we as a society tell the Healthcare Industry to STFU and do their jobs. Stop complaining and trying to engineer a society void of risk. The ones that have bore the brunt of this pandemic, more than most?

My hope is that Omicron is moving through the community so fast that it peters out. We're starting to see it in the UK. So this is not a revolving door of variants, but the last act of this pandemic. 

We've created this culture where any threat to our Universal Healthcare is met with words like "Circuit-breaker", "Lockdown", "Reduced Contacts". It's creating a lot of resentment. 

11 minutes ago, Boges said:

I'm not sure what the end-game here is either. 

Restrictions in Ontario are set to lifted in two weeks. Fat chance anyone in the Healthcare system would support that. But the implications are that large sectors of the economy have to stay shuttered because small percentages of the population are getting very sick. Is this something we have to endure going forward? 

Do we as a society tell the Healthcare Industry to STFU and do their jobs. Stop complaining and trying to engineer a society void of risk. The ones that have bore the brunt of this pandemic, more than most?

My hope is that Omicron is moving through the community so fast that it peters out. We're starting to see it in the UK. So this is not a revolving door of variants, but the last act of this pandemic. 

We've created this culture where any threat to our Universal Healthcare is met with words like "Circuit-breaker", "Lockdown", "Reduced Contacts". It's creating a lot of resentment. 

Indeed it is. That's what happens, when you lock up the entire public. Make them all wear those smelly gawd forsaken masks that don't seem to work. Tell people they are dirty.

I remember a saying..."Follow THE Science." Remember that? Do you know what the problem with that statement and course of action is? There happens to be more than 1 science. We haven't flowed the science at all. We've followed A science. And it happens to be the one wherein the masters of said science, take a friggin' oath to DO NO HARM. Medical doctors are duty and honour bound to err on the side of caution when it come to the physical health of people. Yet...we've heard from other sciences...and not taken heed.

Doug, if your paying attention, this is why You're Fired! You KNEW the other sciences were telling you to stop this nonsense a year ago at least. But you didn't have the leadership qualities it takes to stand up to your critics and make your case. Instead...you crumbled.

2 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Doug, if your paying attention, this is why You're Fired! You KNEW the other sciences were telling you to stop this nonsense a year ago at least. But you didn't have the leadership qualities it takes to stand up to your critics and make your case. Instead...you crumbled.

If he's fired, it's for more of the Lockdown fetishizers. 

At least this lockdown didn't result in Personal Care Services and Non-Essential Retail being shut down. You know there's a faction that want that. 

I remember a year ago stressing about getting a haircut. 

37 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

If I may..."Perhaps"???I think you're missing the point here. There is no "Perhaps" anymore.

You're still relatively new around here so you can be excused for not realizing the bandwidth that's been expended around here by those who've said there never was a "Perhaps" and that it's always just been a flu that was only killing old farts.

IMO, we should first move to where we were a month ago, with most things mostly open...with masks when thought necessary. Not because the limits would help anyone...we all know they don't now...but so that the more...upset among us don't start freaking right out. Then...about May...open season.

I figure much the same thing but to keep the more upset amongst you from freaking out.

Experts were saying things would unfold pretty much like they are early on in this pandemic.

What's really surprised everyone is just how god-awfully stupid the reactionaries would get about measures. That said I pointed out in March 2019 that the US wouldn't stand a chance against COVID due to concerns about...precious bodily fluids and whatnot. Boy was I ever right.

Edited by eyeball

6 minutes ago, Boges said:

If he's fired, it's for more of the Lockdown fetishizers. 

At least this lockdown didn't result in Personal Care Services and Non-Essential Retail being shut down. You know there's a faction that want that. 

I remember a year ago stressing about getting a haircut. 

Well there's a difference between you and I then. I have never been stressed out about The Rona. My stress comes from the silly reaction to it.

"People could die!"

"Yes. Some probably will. Mostly the elderly who are fat or have some other medical problem. Its a design flaw. We die. We could have used a third arm and hand as well but that's another story."

That's been my position from the start. Oh I got vaxed. I took the jab because, if I didn't, I couldn't hang out at my wife's bar anymore. I have thing for free beer...go figure. Besides, I'm not planning any more spawn at my age. Making my kids take it did piss me off a bit.

11 minutes ago, eyeball said:

You're still relatively new around here so you can be excused for not realizing the bandwidth that's been expended around here by those who've said there never was a "Perhaps" and that it's always just been a flu that was only killing old farts.

I figure much the same thing but to keep the more upset amongst you from freaking out.

Experts were saying things would unfold pretty much like they are early on in this pandemic.

What's really surprised everyone is just how god-awfully stupid the reactionaries would get about measures. That said I pointed out in March 2019 that the US wouldn't stand a chance against COVID due to concerns about...precious bodily fluids and whatnot. Boy was I ever right.

Whatever...we seem to agree on a path forward. Take the win and move on. We have a TON of catching up to do now.

I think that the huge push to force-vax everyone this late in the game is for the exact same reason that the gov't vaxxed the u-40's in this country: to pad the demi-vaccines' stats.

They can see that covid is coming to an end and they can only give the credit to the demi-vaxxes if the % of vaxxed reaches a new milestone.

70% was a bust, 80% was a bust, 82% was a bust... if covid, as a pandemic, just drifts off into the sunset without some shiny vax-induced bulletholes in it then the leftists in Canada, the US, Australia, etc will have gone full vax-Nazi for nothing. 

A lot of very healthy people, who were at no risk from covid, were either killed or grievously affected by the vaccines. Their sacrifice will come to light if the clamour and covid hysteria die down. 

6 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Well there's a difference between you and I then. I have never been stressed out about The Rona. My stress comes from the silly reaction to it.

"People could die!"

"Yes. Some probably will. Mostly the elderly who are fat or have some other medical problem. Its a design flaw. We die. We could have used a third arm and hand as well but that's another story."

That's been my position from the start. Oh I got vaxed. I took the jab because, if I didn't, I couldn't hang out at my wife's bar anymore. I have thing for free beer...go figure. Besides, I'm not planning any more spawn at my age. Making my kids take it did piss me off a bit.

Let me re-phrase. I was stressed about my inability to get a haircut. Not the act of getting one. I don't feel comfortable if my hair gets too long. 

That being said, knowing that Omicron is airborne and only really prevented by an N95 mask, I did find myself somewhat anxious doing indoor dining over the Holidays. Not that I fear an Omicron infection will kill me, but that an infection is likely regardless. 

11 minutes ago, Boges said:

Let me re-phrase. I was stressed about my inability to get a haircut. Not the act of getting one. I don't feel comfortable if my hair gets too long. 

That being said, knowing that Omicron is airborne and only really prevented by an N95 mask, I did find myself somewhat anxious doing indoor dining over the Holidays. Not that I fear an Omicron infection will kill me, but that an infection is likely regardless. 

Well...being an old hippie type, I still harbour this unreasonable hatred of haircuts. I know its silly but...

Ya I got Omicron over the holidays. Most of family did. I think my wife brought it in from the bar but...who really knows. She was first. Before her second day, I and Twin A got it. I woke up the next day feeling good. Wifey-baby was ok after 2 days. Twin A had it for 2 days and Twin B never did get it. Our elder daughter was at our place a lot over the holidays so her and her boyfriend got it too. 2 or 3 days each.

I do know a guy who got the original strain. It floored him for over a week. He's a very healthy man of about 65. I golf with him regularly. I didn't know this before but, it turns out he has diabetes. Diabetics don't seem to do well with The Rona.

3 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Ya I got Omicron over the holidays. Most of family did. I think my wife brought it in from the bar but...who really knows. She was first. Before her second day, I and Twin A got it. I woke up the next day feeling good. Wifey-baby was ok after 2 days. Twin A had it for 2 days and Twin B never did get it. Our elder daughter was at our place a lot over the holidays so her and her boyfriend got it too. 2 or 3 days each.

See this is happening all at the same time. This is the concern more than the severity of Omicron.