The Battle of Moscow---A Soviet Tale of the History of WWII

xul

The Battle of Moscow is a 1985 Soviet two-part war film. And each part includes 2 episodes which last one and half hour, so the whole movie lasts nearly 6 hours.

I watched the film decades ago in China. Unlike most slow-paced Soviet movies, The Battle of Moscow is intense, fast-paced and relatively objective. In short: that day in the cinema, no one fell asleep during 6 hours play time, so It means it's a quite good movie and worth to watch.

Some YouTuber uploaded the whole movie on YouTube. I guess most west war loving....LOL.....war history loving fan boys and girls haven't had opportunity to watch it, so I post it here in case someone wants to watch it.

Part 1: Aggression (Episode 1)

Part 1: Aggression (Episode 2)

Part 2: Typhoon (Episode 1)

Part 2: Typhoon (Episode 2)

Highlights of the Movie

Dec 29, 1940, 6 months prior to the war on the east front breaking out, General Zhukov who played "Blue" ---the German side, used almost the same strategy which Field Marshal Fedor von Bock used 6 moths later, encircled "Red" ---the Soviet side army, which was under command by General Dmitry Pavlov. Zhukov was thus promoted as the Chief of the Red Army's General Staff by Stalin.

General Pavlov was executed by Stalin, for his troops were encircled two times within 6 months---one in the war game before the war by General Zhukov, another in the rear war by Field Marshal von Brock due to the same mistake.?

General Zhukov anticipated German might incircle the Red Army's Southwestern Front, and asked Stalin withdrawing Southwestern Front troops from Kiev. After being refused by Stalin, Zhukov resigned from the post of chief of general staff.

Stalin asked Zhukov to tell him the truth, with the honor of a communist, if Moscow could be hold.

Zhukov told Stalin that it was time to launch counter attack and push German back. After being convinced by Zhukov, Stalin told the chief of general staff to give Zhukov the reinforce troops he asked, and told him: "I believe, and comrade Zhukov also agrees, that German army is in crises and it's time for us to launch a counter offensive...."?

Edited by xul
  • Like 1

Yes, I noticed this on my feeds as well.

'Come And See' was another great Soviet flick from 1985. The saga re: being trapped behind enemy lines as the Einsatzgruppen conduct their business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJYOg4ORc1w

Edited by DogOnPorch
  • Like 1

I'll show you a cuter one for a short watch (8 minutes) that hypes you up to know more and may even encourage clicking on the long one. 

This one is 2 Russian twin cuties watching a music video by the Swedish music group Sabaton called Defence of Moscow. It's worth a watch because the story is personal to them and they go into why:

Edited by Infidel Dog
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 12/30/2021 at 1:52 AM, xul said:

The Battle of Moscow is a 1985 Soviet two-part war film.

In the 1940s, the Americans made:

Why We Fight

But rather, I likely think you mean:

Red Dawn

Whatever.

======

We, in the Enlightened West, won the Cold War. Reagan was correct.

I see a fundamental difference between what JFK and Nixon did - and what Obama/Bush are currently trying to do.

Americans: Stop trying to change people in the world.

Edited by August1991

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2023 at 5:26 AM, AntonioCraig said:

We cannot deny that the Soviet Union played an important role in World War II helping the Allies defeat the Axis.

Stalingrad was the decisive battle in WW II.

But which particular Russian soldier pushed the Fascists to lose. Which particular American defeated the Japanese?

====

Tolstoi wrote a wonderful story - narrative- based on this idea. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2023 at 11:32 PM, Aristides said:

Germany certainly, they had little to do with defeating Italy and Japan.

Europe went through madness in 1616-1648.

Then, it did the same between 1789-1815.

And then again, from 1914 to 1945.

====

Churchill referred to this as the wars of religion, nations.

Thatcher said that Britain always took the minority side.

======

IMHO, Europeans are a violent people and every three generations or so - once the men forget, they fight one another again.