Why does Canada allow itself to be influenced and propagandized by Communist China?

2 minutes ago, blackbird said:

The Old Testament is also part of the Bible which is embraced by Christians as an important part of the whole Bible.  What happened during the Old Testament period is very relative to believers today.  Christ was a Jew and descended from King David and before that from Abraham, the father of Israel.  The Old Testament are Holy Scriptures and were given to mankind through Old Testament prophets who were the Jews as part of the nation of Israel. There is much important information in the Old Testament for believers today.  

indeed

but that doesn't rebut anything I've stated

"

10 minutes ago, G Huxley said:

They are an upgrade?  Wow.  One human sacrifice for another.

"you not being able to tell the difference between apples and oranges doesn't mean there is no difference" - Yzermandius

How is it apples and oranges? 

It is human sacrifice and human sacrifice. 

The only difference is the stated reason.

Edited by G Huxley

46 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I'll pass thanks.

Your choice.  The Bible is the most powerful, earth moving book on earth.  You can be sure Communist China would not allow it if they could ban it.  It would be a serious threat to their system if the people all had it and believed it.  It would end Communism in China.   It is so powerful it guides lost mankind to avoid hell and receive eternal life for those who believe it.  Those who scoff at it are just condemning themselves, but there is forgiveness for those who repent and believe the gospel.

20 minutes ago, G Huxley said:

"

"you not being able to tell the difference between apples and oranges doesn't mean there is no difference" - Yzermandius

How is it apples and oranges? 

It is human sacrifice and human sacrifice. 

The only difference is the stated reason.

the stated reason is what makes it human sacrifice

not all intentional deaths are human sacrifice

Edited by Yzermandius19

3 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Your choice.  The Bible is the most powerful, earth moving book on earth.

I've read a few reviews and I'm obviously not that impressed. That said I do think Jesus was a natural born humanist - "Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you" was brilliant, like the e-mc2 of how to get along in the world. Simple, to the point...most kids can figure it out by the time they're 6.  How anyone is supposed to take something like that away when being burned at the stake is beyond me.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I've read a few reviews and I'm obviously not that impressed. That said I do think Jesus was a natural born humanist - "Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you" was brilliant, like the e-mc2 of how to get along in the world. Simple, to the point...most kids can figure it out by the time they're 6.

kids can figure it out because Jesus figured it out

the pagans certainly didn't come up with that

it's only obvious in hindsight

not foresight

human beings have come a long way in the morality department

what is obvious to us today was not so obvious 3,000+ years ago

Edited by Yzermandius19

47 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

kids can figure it out because Jesus figured it out

Kids can figure it out because there's nothing to it. I think he wrote it for the benefit of tyrants and governments myself - its why they killed him. Which kinda brings us back to the question in the thread title don't you think?

the pagans certainly didn't come up with that

it's only obvious in hindsight

not foresight

It just is what it is.

human beings have come a long way in the morality department

what is obvious to us today was not so obvious 3,000+ years ago

Well sure they have but the evidence points to many having arrived a lot earlier than religion and all on their own.

Edited by eyeball

7 hours ago, eyeball said:

I've read a few reviews and I'm obviously not that impressed. That said I do think Jesus was a natural born humanist - "Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you" was brilliant, like the e-mc2 of how to get along in the world. Simple, to the point...most kids can figure it out by the time they're 6.  How anyone is supposed to take something like that away when being burned at the stake is beyond me.

Beautifully encapsulated.

To my mind, being a Christian is believing that the so-called commandment to love is the prime directive and nothing more.  You may believe in his deistic attributes, but his impact on social mechanics is something even atheists can't deny.

44 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Perhaps I'll be more forgiving after religion accepts the responsibilities it deserves.

perhaps your stance shouldn't change based on the stance of others

your stance should be based on your own principles

not just a negative reaction against the principles of others

do you hold yourself to a high standard, or do you lower your standard to wherever those you oppose set their standard?

what good is it to defeat the enemy if you have to become the enemy to beat them?

Edited by Yzermandius19

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Beautifully encapsulated.

To my mind, being a Christian is believing that the so-called commandment to love is the prime directive and nothing more.  You may believe in his deistic attributes, but his impact on social mechanics is something even atheists can't deny.

When you apply the word love to homosexuality in total contravention of the teachings through the Bible condemning it, you are not speaking truth.  Just applying the word love randomly to anything that God condemns is not real love. Love between people is a real thing but it is only real love when it is within God's ordained relationships such as between a man and woman, husband and wife, between good friends, or a parent and their child or between someone who legitimately cares for the welfare of others.  Not between illegitimate sexual unions contrary to God's will.  Approving of such practices is not love.

"26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;"      Romans ch1: 26-28  KJB

12 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

you not being able to tell the difference between apples and oranges doesn't mean there is no difference

12 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

the stated reason is what makes it human sacrifice

not all intentional deaths are human sacrifice

Sounds like Robert Pickton.

52 minutes ago, G Huxley said:

Sounds like Robert Pickton.

the death penalty is not human sacrifice

murder is not human sacrifice

killing in self defense is not human sacrifice

what the Aztecs did on the other hand

they made human sacrifice the core of their religion

and institutionally engaged in it on an industrial scale

apples and fckn oranges

don't be an obtuse cultural relativist

some religions are clearly better than others

and religions (or the lack thereof) can and do have a massive impact on the morality of a society

Edited by Yzermandius19

5 hours ago, eyeball said:

Perhaps I'll be more forgiving after religion accepts the responsibilities it deserves.

God says we are all sinners with a corrupt fallen nature and that we need to come to God on our knees in sorrow and repent for our sins and seek forgiveness.  It is God that forgives for that, not man, but only for those who accept and believe in Jesus Christ as their Savior.  Those ones are saved for eternity; the rest are lost forever.  True religion is not about worshiping some idol or false God.  It is about believing in the one true God and his Son as one's Savior.  Hiding behind the perceived shortcomings of religious people won't excuse one either.  Churches are hospitals for the sick. The gospel message is for sinners, those who need to be saved.  Of course nobody is sinless, so that is the answer.

28 minutes ago, G Huxley said:

Yzermandius burning witches at the stake is clearly human sacrifice.

"some religions are clearly better than others

How so?

burning witches was the death penalty applied for crimes that weren't committed

I already answered your question and used the Aztecs as a prime example of a clearly worse religion

stop being obtuse

On 1/2/2022 at 9:12 PM, eyeball said:

Read the gospel of John in the New Testament and perhaps Luke after that.  The key to heaven is in those gospels. Debating whether Jesus was a humanist is pointless.  He was seen by many after the resurrection and so he is who he said he is.  Maybe watch the free movie on the internet.  Google "The Life of Jesus".

57 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Read the gospel of John in the New Testament and perhaps Luke after that.  The key to heaven is in those gospels. Debating whether Jesus was a humanist is pointless.  He was seen by many after the resurrection and so he is who he said he is.  Maybe watch the free movie on the internet.  Google "The Life of Jesus".

Matthew, Mark and Luke > John

2 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

ffs . . . . there's threads for your religion.  Chuck Anthony has his thumb up his ass by not 'moderating' this thread.

Yes, it drifted.  Someone makes some comment related and then it drifts.  I'm not the only one who drifts.  I see it all the time.