"Justin Trudeau: Well first of all, inflation is a direct consequence of the global COVID crisis. "

G Huxley

"Well how can Trudeau be 'lying' if most economists agree with him? Are they lying also? " - Michael

I don't think any economist worth their salt will say that inflation is a direct consequence of Covid.

Obviously Covid has been a driver of inflation, but to pretend that all inflation is a direct result of Covid is absurd.

We had inflation long before Covid. The task of the Bank of Canada is to keep inflation around 2%. Completely non covid related.

There are numerous drivers of inflation other than Covid, e.g. gas prices, the carbon tax (which I'm not arguing against), the housing bubble, inflation targets set by the bank of Canada, printing money to finance the government's wild expenditures and poor fiscal governance, the effects of globalization on capital etc., etc.. Pretending that inflation is a direct consequence of Covid is a lie and is an insult to the public's intelligence. Edited by G Huxley
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, G Huxley said:

an insult to the public's intelligence

And given how the public reacts to it, I can predict that in some future, perhaps not even that remote, the argument will be which of the government's words and actions are not an insult. No seriously, why bother about intelligence, responsibility and such things when nobody seems to care?

6 hours ago, G Huxley said:

Pretending that inflation is a direct consequence of Covid is a lie and is an insult to the public's intelligence.

What? Of course covid doesn't  cause all inflation, since inflation existed before covid. Obviously we're talking about the current spike in inflation here. So I really need to point this out?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

The key word “direct” consequence.

It’s not a direct consequence, but the effect of bad choices we have all made, or been ordered to do by dunderheads like him.

Interesting how in this or any other forum, all posters are smarter, more knowledgeable, more ethical, more patriotic than Trudeau, or whoever else is in power.  It is quite the phenomenon and pretty laughable.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, cougar said:

Interesting how in this or any other forum, all posters are smarter, more knowledgeable, more ethical, more patriotic than Trudeau, or whoever else is in power.  It is quite the phenomenon and pretty laughable.

it's Trudeau

he sets a low bar in all these categories

not very hard to clear those hurdles

the assumption that only smart, knowledgeable, ethical and patriotic individuals win elections

is a far more laughable assertion than the assertion you find laughable 

Edited by Yzermandius19
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, cougar said:

Not really laughable. One must criticize. Speak truth to power.

It is not particularly challenging to one-up Mr. Trudeau.

For example I went to school, and I work for a living.

I’ve had jobs.

On 12/21/2021 at 7:50 PM, eyeball said:

Because it has nothing to do with what I said to counter his statement that tax laws aren't why CEO's get wealthy.  Shady is famous for changing the subject and suddenly talking about something that was never said.

Capitalism is not an ideology. An economy simply is what it is whether its coerced in a dictatorship or persuaded in a democracy.  In either case governments still have far more to do with creating and enabling inequality than they do wealth.  And don't get me started on the unequal lobbying power wealthy people and corporations enjoy over ordinary people long long before the competition to better oneself in the world even starts.

I think private sector in-camera lobbying on any issue related to the public's domain should be outlawed. Shady says I'm attacking free speech.  Now that's changing the subject!  

I don't think I disagree with anything you said except what capitalism is.  Capitalism is a natural state of the economy without government coercion.  Of course nowhere in the world does capitalism then exist.  

15 minutes ago, Faramir said:

I don't think I disagree with anything you said except what capitalism is.  Capitalism is a natural state of the economy without government coercion.  Of course nowhere in the world does capitalism then exist.  

not the case

capitalism is a relatively recent invention historically speaking

it is not the natural state

it's the artificial construct that best leverages human nature for economic benefit yet devised

Edited by Yzermandius19

2 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

not the case

capitalism is a relatively recent invention historically speaking

it is not the natural state, it's the artificial construct that best leverages human nature for economic benefit

perhaps.  I still say capitalism maximizes liberty.  I guess we have to agree to disagree.  

11 minutes ago, Faramir said:

perhaps.  I still say capitalism maximizes liberty.  I guess we have to agree to disagree.  

it does assist in maximizing liberty

but government force is required for it to exist

without the rule of law being effectively enforced and defended from threats both foreign and domestic

there can be no capitalism

a large government is not required to enforce that though, and is more trouble than it's worth

the government does everything poorly

but on some rare occasions they do things less poorly than any other alternative

government should be limited to those areas, and no farther

government intervention should be the last resort

though some people think it should be the first resort to any problem

Edited by Yzermandius19

1 hour ago, Faramir said:

I think it's a little more complicated. Capitalism requires the motivation of willful intent - how could it exist without it? A natural state is random - more like mindless evolution.

Edited by eyeball

5 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

it does assist in maximizing liberty

but government force is required for it to exist

without the rule of law being effectively enforced and defended from threats both foreign and domestic

there can be no capitalism

a large government is not required to enforce that though, and is more trouble than it's worth

the government does everything poorly

but on some rare occasions they do things less poorly than any other alternative

government should be limited to those areas, and no farther

government intervention should be the last resort

though some people think it should be the first resort to any problem

That basically makes you a classical liberal.  I agree.  Full out libertarianism or anarcho-capitalism is insane and would never work.  As you said, you must have government and rule of law.  If you don't you end up like Mexico.

As far as limited government if you had a head or poll tax that would absolutely destroy the big government state.  Basically this is regressive taxation where each individual pays the same nominal dollars in taxes.  

"What? Of course covid doesn't  cause all inflation, since inflation existed before covid. Obviously we're talking about the current spike in inflation here. So I really need to point this out? "

Again the current spike in inflation has multiple factors involved including the carbon tax (again I'm not arguing against that), not merely covid.  To pretend that covid is the direct cause of even the current spike in inflation is simple dishonesty.

At best a considerable part of the current spike is indirectly caused by Covid.  There is nothing that the virus does that directly causes inflation. That is far different from Trudeau's lie that inflation is a direct consequence of COVID, but hey throw out the big lie and expect the public not to see through it.  It's been working for him so far.

Edited by G Huxley

4 hours ago, G Huxley said:

1. Again the current spike in inflation has multiple factors involved including the carbon tax (again I'm not arguing against that), not merely covid.  To pretend that covid is the direct cause of even the current spike in inflation is simple dishonesty.

2. At best a considerable part of the current spike is indirectly caused by Covid.  There is nothing that the virus does that directly causes inflation. That is far different from Trudeau's lie that inflation is a direct consequence of COVID, but hey throw out the big lie and expect the public not to see through it.  It's been working for him so far.

1. And yet many economists say it's the cause.  I already posted that.
2. You are just stating it's a lie and not why.  It's obvious that Covid 19 has disrupted the supply chain and the fact that you haven't even mentioned that is more deceptive than Trudeau agreeing with a plurality of economists, sorry.

7 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. And yet many economists say it's the cause.  I already posted that.
2. You are just stating it's a lie and not why.  It's obvious that Covid 19 has disrupted the supply chain and the fact that you haven't even mentioned that is more deceptive than Trudeau agreeing with a plurality of economists, sorry.

1 so what? appeal to authority fallacy detected

2 governments disrupted the supply chain, not covid

Trudeau is trying to duck any blame for it, but he is quite complicit

and he continues to support policies that are driving inflation 

Edited by Yzermandius19

1 hour ago, Yzermandius19 said:

1 so what? appeal to authority fallacy detected

2 governments disrupted the supply chain, not covid

3. Trudeau is trying to duck any blame for it, but he is quite complicit

4. and he continues to support policies that are driving inflation 

1. We're not debating whether the assessment is correct, though, we're talking about the claims that the PM doesn't have the 'barest grasp' that he is lying and other extreme claims.
2. You are quibbling to win the argument with wordplay.  You can see several recent posts where I concur with the points others have made - you should try that it's good for the soul.
3. Agreed.  But there are worse examples of him being guilty of things and ducking blame.
4. I concur.  ( See how easy that it ? :D )