"Justin Trudeau: Well first of all, inflation is a direct consequence of the global COVID crisis. "

G Huxley

There isn't quite consensus, because there is indeed a LOT of money pumped into the economy but it's hyperbolic and hysterical to say Trudeau's assessment reflects "not having the barest grasp" etc...  Once again, for the hard of thinking majority on here: I am not a fan of Trudeau but I can't stand the kind of half-assed criticism that passes for commentary around here.

Most economists say that this bout of inflation is a result of temporary disruptions caused by covid-19, and that it will pass

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2021/11/06/a-handful-of-items-are-driving-inflation-in-america

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

There isn't quite consensus, because there is indeed a LOT of money pumped into the economy but it's hyperbolic and hysterical to say Trudeau's assessment reflects "not having the barest grasp" etc...  Once again, for the hard of thinking majority on here: I am not a fan of Trudeau but I can't stand the kind of half-assed criticism that passes for commentary around here.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2021/11/06/a-handful-of-items-are-driving-inflation-in-america

Come on Michael, are you trying to tell us that Justins comments like the budget will balance itself or I'm not that interested in what the numbers say...those types of comments have lead you to believe that the posters remarks here are just huge exaggerations.  or that they represent a man that has or finances under control and he knows how our economics and policies work. ya makes me all  warm and fuzzy as well.

You continue to say that I'm not a fan of Justins, and yet you do spend most of your time defending him, or his policies claiming them to be only half assed criticisms. i just wonder what criticism would pass that lofty goal set by yourself. 

Define most, as we know not all economists were surveyed, it's misleading the reader. It's a liberal tactic...

The bank of Canada lays it all out by saying Policies that stimulate economic growth can cause inflation. i note the word "can" and not will but then again this is written by the bank of Canada, the guys that set our intersts rates that control inflation.

A quick google search and this is what i found.

When inflation reared its head in North America this spring, the common view was that it would be just a temporary bout of price increases. Now, though, many analysts aren’t so sure.

Economists surveyed by the Wall Street Journal this month had a similar outlook for U.S. inflation, with forecasts of sustained price increases lasting until 2023.

And then there’s the fact that used car prices, which have been a major driver of U.S. inflation, haven’t risen quite as much in Canada and aren’t included in Statistics Canada’s consumer price index, he says.

But even in Canada, the latest inflation data has raised red flags.

What’s causing higher inflation and why it could last years - National | Globalnews.ca

In the longer term, though, the real driver of inflation is the one conservatives desperately want to avoid talking about: climate change.

Here’s what’s causing inflation in Canada | Canada's National Observer: News & Analysis

Policies that stimulate economic growth can cause inflation, too: when people have more money, their demand for products and services can rise, and that can pull up prices. To measure inflation every month, Statistics Canada tracks the prices for a long list—what it calls a representative “basket”—of goods and services.

Price check: Inflation in Canada - Bank of Canada

there is a ton more, that might suggest that maybe covid is not the driving factor here, but other reasons seem to be playing a larger role.  

Edited by Army Guy

8 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

1. Come on Michael, are you trying to tell us that Justins comments like the budget will balance itself or I'm not that interested in what the numbers say...those types of comments have lead you to believe that the posters remarks here are just huge exaggerations. 

2. You continue to say that I'm not a fan of Justins, and yet you do spend most of your time defending him, or his policies claiming them to be only half assed criticisms. i just wonder what criticism would pass that lofty goal set by yourself. 

3. Define most, as we know not all economists were surveyed, it's misleading the reader. It's a liberal tactic...

4. Policies that stimulate economic growth can cause inflation. i note the word "can" and not will but then again this is written by the bank of Canada, the guys that set our intersts rates that control inflation.

1. No, those statements are worthy of criticism if not ridicule but I'm talking about the assessment of the cause of inflation here.

2. How about his egregious personal behaviour and posturing as being a Social Justice advocate ?  Done by someone who has appeared in blackface multiple times ?  I have asked and no one I know has appeared in blackface even once.  And after being called out for that,he took Reconciliation day as a sneaky holiday ?

And how about the G&M's exposed scandal at SNC Lavalin and manhandling of two of his best female cabinet ministers ?

How about owning the centre of Canadian politics and yet wasting the opportunity to make substantial changes to how government works  ?  He proposed electoral reform (which I was against) and reneged on that.  

But people are focused on little things rather than the big void at the centre, because there isn't any vision offered by any major candidates.  The best we have done is O'Toole's tiny ideas, such as ... uh ... legalizing poppers ?  Ok.

Not a Justin fan.

3. The assessment was made by The Economist which is a respected magazine on current affairs.  Finance Ministers in other governments are following the same tack.

4. Yes, your assessment is reasonable: economists do not agree that this inflation is only being caused by Covid, however the wording 'can cause inflation' is used because after Quantitative Easing in 2008 there was little inflation.

Cheers

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. No, those statements are worthy of criticism if not ridicule but I'm talking about the assessment of the cause of inflation here.

2. How about his egregious personal behaviour and posturing as being a Social Justice advocate ?  Done by someone who has appeared in blackface multiple times ?  I have asked and no one I know has appeared in blackface even once.  And after being called out for that,he took Reconciliation day as a sneaky holiday ?

And how about the G&M's exposed scandal at SNC Lavalin and manhandling of two of his best female cabinet ministers ?

How about owning the centre of Canadian politics and yet wasting the opportunity to make substantial changes to how government works  ?  He proposed electoral reform (which I was against) and reneged on that.  

But people are focused on little things rather than the big void at the centre, because there isn't any vision offered by any major candidates.  The best we have done is O'Toole's tiny ideas, such as ... uh ... legalizing poppers ?  Ok.

Not a Justin fan.

3. The assessment was made by The Economist which is a respected magazine on current affairs.  Finance Ministers in other governments are following the same tack.

4. Yes, your assessment is reasonable: economists do not agree that this inflation is only being caused by Covid, however the wording 'can cause inflation' is used because after Quantitative Easing in 2008 there was little inflation.

Cheers

1. This is the problem i have , Justin has people that set our this fiscal policies, right or wrong, but Justin is the PM they must be seen and read and approved by him, or atleast i hope so, and he his not just a talking head with someone else pulling the strings. These policies have had a impact on inflation, and they are not all that good policies or directives to start with.

2. Your list is just the tip of the ice burg, people like me and other on this forum are frustrated to no end that boy wonder is going to remain PM forever....Frustrated because regardless of what he says or does, people still vote for this guy. 

It seems we can not even get the little stuff done, let alone the big stuff, like health care, education, and all the rest of it. Canadians are frustrated that the government has stalled, not capable of even doing the small stuff and yet he continues to get elected.   

And i agree the Right could not find their own ass right now, let alone find a leader capable of leading an entire nation.

12 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

He is one of the privileged.  Why should he care about inflation;  it is Justinflation.

Edited by blackbird

3 hours ago, G Huxley said:

Let's put it this way Michael, if Trudeau does have the barest grasp of inflation, then he is lying through his teeth with that comment and throughout the interview in that link.

What is wrong with his grasp?

You have a reduced supply of goods and services directly linked to COVID.

Then in addition , you have billions of dollars given to people for no work, pretty much like printing money.

And if those two are not enough, you also have people restricted globally, where they do not travel and instead of spending money on air fare, restaurants and hotels, have more disposable cash to spend on durable goods or groceries, which accidentally are not produced in the same volumes as before the pandemic.

And if the above three are not enough, think about the inefficiencies the pandemic brought about - everyone wearing masks, sanitizers, checking vaccination passports, quarantines, tests, you name it - a whole mountain of extra work for no added product or service units.

Kind of makes me wonder what you know about inflation.

Edited by cougar

13 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

nothing lasts forever

but this inflation is not simply transitory

governments continue to spend like drunken sailors and print more money

while implementing measures that decrease productivity 

and as long as that continues high levels of inflation will follow

it's not a direct consequence of covid that is causing inflation

it's a direct consequence of government policy during covid that is causing it

and the governments are in no hurry to stop shooting themselves in the foot

obvious self inflicted wound is obvious

idiotic policies have consequences, who knew?

Edited by Yzermandius19

On 12/20/2021 at 8:03 AM, myata said:

If they can get away with pretty much anything, why bother having a grasp?

There is actually so much more about what you said.  A book could be written on why Trudeau is bad for Canada.  Just one reason comes to mind:  his love for all things progressive or radical social justice.  When BLM marched in Canada (during the early stages of the pandemic when masking and social distancing should have been universal)  Trudeau went out there and took a knee with them.  BLM is known as a Marxist, anarchist organization and is a group that a PM should never have had anything to do with.  But he seems to crave opportunities to support identity politics and cancel culture.

Edited by blackbird
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Have thought Michael may be suffering from Justinfatuation . . . 

As I have explained to the tiny brains, pointing out off-base criticism of Trudeau isn't saying good things about Trudeau.

Maybe if you people were able to criticize him properly you could actually defeat this mediocre candidate.

Instead, you slap each other on the back and call him names... and the electorate shrugs and he wins again.

5 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

1. it's a direct consequence of government policy during covid that is causing it

2. idiotic policies have consequences, who knew?

1. I'm sure you are at least partially right and maybe fully right.

2. You can tell by the other parties' response that it's tricky to find fault, other than generally.

7 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

...and they all push the same ridiculous policies

I would like Canadians to understand risk, trade and economics better.  And to adopt a culture of service monitoring, rather than reacting to every new proposal emotionally.

Immigration, health care, and trade are all far too emotionally driven discussion.

And our political culture is not mature... calling mainstream politicians Communists and Fascists should diminish your standing as a commenter.

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

I would like Canadians to understand risk, trade and economics better.  And to adopt a culture of service monitoring, rather than reacting to every new proposal emotionally.

Immigration, health care, and trade are all far too emotionally driven discussion.

And our political culture is not mature... calling mainstream politicians Communists and Fascists should diminish your standing as a commenter.

when the mainstream becomes communism

it diminishes your standing as a poster to pretend the politicians aren't commies

welcome to Soviet Canada

Edited by Yzermandius19

53 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

when the mainstream becomes communism it diminishes your standing as a poster to pretend the politicians aren't commies welcome to Soviet Canada

It's entirely obvious to anyone who is not a zealot that we do not have Communism.

Your status as a rhetorical clown should be used where it belongs: in the House of Commons.

Back to ignore with you and anyone who hates politics so much that they demand everybody use their clown words...

50 minutes ago, myata said:

This is not an age of intelligence and responsibility. That age appears to have left us.

Well, perhaps, but also we never had it.  What we had was a high class of public intellectuals who would debate as proxy for actual citizens.  They controlled a narrow bandwidth of the discussion too.

But your point isn't wrong - those same intellectuals are now working for their own purposes and not the public's.

• Thanks 1