Well it is official now Canadians are all idiots.

I know at first i thought is this about liberals, no it's about all of us, and how we some how forget every year how to drive in the winter...no wonder we need all these social programs and for the government to take all of us by the hands and guide us around like children...

Canadians all crash their cars on the first snow day, it's because we're idiots (msn.com)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Army Guy said:

..... we some how forget every year how to drive in the winter...

But not me.   My car has survived after 20 years of driving - summer and winter along the mountainous roads of the country.

On 11/30/2021 at 4:29 PM, Army Guy said:

I know at first i thought is this about liberals, no it's about all of us, and how we some how forget every year how to drive in the winter...no wonder we need all these social programs and for the government to take all of us by the hands and guide us around like children...

Canadians all crash their cars on the first snow day, it's because we're idiots (msn.com)

Here in Vancouver, an inch of snow on the roads and that snow can create quite a chaos. It is hard to get any kind of traction with the snow that we get here. 6 inches of snow and we are grounded. ?

As an engineering student with ice racing as a hobby at that time, this thread reminds me of going to a certain short link between Northbound Pembina Hwy East to Main St. in Winnipeg on first snow in the late '60s.  Four lanes of traffic coming off of Pembina and turned gradually to the left, still 4 lanes then slowed to a sharp right with 2 traffic lanes and parking lanes on either side.  Anyone careless enough to park on the outside of that corner was guaranteed to be crashed from behind on the first mornings of fresh snow this time of year.  They long ago changed that route, but it was worth the wait to see how predictably incompetent drivers are.

Decades later, in business with a guy who lived in a nice neighbourhood in North York who would bundle up in a parka and take his morning coffee and newspaper out onto the summer porch to watch the...uh...."Newly Arrived Canadians" back their new Mercedes down the steep driveways on his street and crash into each other at the bottom during their first snow day.  I can also remember a trip to his place in the '90s on a fall snow day and was stunned to see some complete IDIOT driving a BMTrouble-you motorcycle down the 401 in slush 6" deep, both feet down, 60/70 kph and slithering between the usual bunch of semis.

Yeah, we are pretty stupid when it comes to driving.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It always takes the first major snowfall for people to realize they should check the weather reports and double their driving time in adverse conditions.  Instead, they get stuck in traffic and realizing that they're going to be late for work do stupid things.  It's as simple as that.

16 hours ago, taxme said:

Here in Vancouver, an inch of snow on the roads and that snow can create quite a chaos. It is hard to get any kind of traction with the snow that we get here. 6 inches of snow and we are grounded. ?

This might be something you might want to know there is a thing it is called snow tires, shit they even have studded tires....when traction is a problem, and when it gets really bad tire chains.... modern technology at work... i know you guys got a lot on your plate right now with the floods but you got to keep up...

On 11/30/2021 at 6:19 PM, PIK said:

I would like to see a ethnic breakdown on these drivers, or is that racist? Lol

I have no doubt that "country of origin" is a big 'driver' ? of this stat.

Of the 500 crashes in Toronto, I'd be surprised if new Canadians didn't account for 75% of those. People who grew up in Jamaica, India and Mexico just don't automatically know how to drive on snow the first time that they try it. 

As Canadians driving in snow is something that we learn for 15 years before we even get behind the wheel. When my son was still in his front-facing car seat, and before he had his full vocabulary (between 2 & 3 old), he saw a car ahead of us go through a red light and he said "un-oh". They are learning about driving here at a really young age. 

I live in Langley BC where snow is only a factor on about 20 days per year but all of our cars here have Nokian 'all weather' tires year-round, and I don't know anyone who doesn't at least have 'all season' tires. 

18 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

This might be something you might want to know there is a thing it is called snow tires, shit they even have studded tires....when traction is a problem, and when it gets really bad tire chains.... modern technology at work... i know you guys got a lot on your plate right now with the floods but you got to keep up...

I grew up in Edm and live in BC now, I can tell you for certain that winter driving is quite different here.

The snow in Edm is usually dry and has a bit of rigidity under your tires. The snow here is quite wet, heavy and slick, it's more akin to driving on slush than on snow. The combination of our slushy snow and hilly terrain makes driving in deep snow a no-no. 

There are a lot of people here who live in places like White Rock where their street or driveway are too steep to even bother trying to drive on. 6 inches of slushy snow and a 15% grade equals "no chance". 

1 hour ago, WestCanMan said:

I live in Langley BC where snow is only a factor on about 20 days per year but all of our cars here have Nokian 'all weather' tires year-round, and I don't know anyone who doesn't at least have 'all season' tires. 

I'm in the Prairies and I swear by real winter tires - not just all seasons.  

I know where my kids are in Manitoba, the government has a program where you can buy good winter tires and then pay them off with a small monthly payment.  I think all Prairie provinces should do that.

2 hours ago, Army Guy said:

It might be of some interest for you to know that here in the lower mainland of Vancouver winter tires like what you would see and use in the east are not required here. Pretty much everybody has those tires that have written on them M&S(mud and snow). They work somewhat okay in the snow, but as I said, the snow is different here, and a small amount of snow can cause mayhem. Keeping up with me yet? ?

Edited by taxme

22 hours ago, Goddess said:

I know where my kids are in Manitoba, the government has a program where you can buy good winter tires and then pay them off with a small monthly payment.  I think all Prairie provinces should do that.

The 'all-weather' tires actually qualify to the same specs as winter tires. If you go to drive on a mountain highway where the winter tires are required you are allowed to use the all-weather tires. 

22 hours ago, Goddess said:

https://www.kaltire.com/en/tires/wrg4/10001010440033.html - Nokian WRG4

On 12/2/2021 at 4:25 PM, taxme said:

It might be of some interest for you to know that here in the lower mainland of Vancouver winter tires like what you would see and use in the east are not required here. Pretty much everybody has those tires that have written on them M&S(mud and snow). They work somewhat okay in the snow, but as I said, the snow is different here, and a small amount of snow can cause mayhem. Keeping up with me yet? ?

Ya i get it you guys are the only ones that get snow and mountainous terrain , here in Atlantic Canada, using all season tires is finable after Dec, the only tires allowed on the road are winter tires, or mud and snow (which are crap unless you have a 4 wheel drive)made from a softer rubber compound, you can also have them studded, or if you are in the hills snow chains...only if you on a dirt or logging road no chains on pavement.. Quebec studded tires are the law, for the last couple years. 

I keep a couple of AWD cars for daily drivers and switch one to studless snows and the other to some REALLY aggressive studs for winter, but have a 4x4 truck for farm and work - as do tens of thousands of Canadians thinking they are somehow "better" in snow.   Truth is: the most dangerous thing on the road in the winter is a pickup truck with no load and in 2WD (really bad weight distribution leaving the drive axle to easily break traction).  Sadly, since there is no center differential, switching them to 4WD can get you going in deep snow but is far worse for turning and stopping.   Another problem with trucks as the weight goes up is that the tire compounds get hard and the tread blocks larger - making them far, far poorer performers on ice and compacted snow.  Ideally, genuine AWD is king, but the low-buck "automatic" 4WD systems (GM in particular) that only engage the front axle when rear breaks loose do a fair job of addressing that problem.

There is a lot more to winter tire selection and driving than you will ever learn from most "normal" sources.  If you want to learn the real details, find someone who has raced in the "rubber-to-ice" classes in sports car clubs.  Then see if you can get some instruction (some clubs offer that) to learn car control and your limits.  The vast majority of "common knowledge" is really old wives' tales when it comes to winter driving.

Edited by cannuck

• 1 month later...

By the way, how come that you in Canada don't drive on the wrong side of the road like almost all other Commonwealth countries do? Perhaps something to do with your neighbour.

Driving on the wrong side is not dangerous as long as everybody else does the same.