Ukraine says Russia is going to attack. But why is it still shelling its own citizens in the East of the country?

George MArron

10 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Geography alone pretty much makes military intervention impossible so are you for stiffer sanctions, fewer sanctions or none at all. Pick a side other than partisan politics.

Sanctions are partisan politics and not very effective....just window dressing.

Americans will not go to war for Ukraine...or for Chrystia Freeland.

6 minutes ago, BeaverFever said:

Well “NATO deadbeats”, vs. a power-mad military dictator like Putin threatening the world and invading European neighbors. I guess we all have our priorities ?

Canada has its own priorities...happy to still be a NATO deadbeat...costs nothing to whine about Putin and what the American presidents should have done.

Canadian truckers got more attention than Putin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BeaverFever said:

What hilarious apologizing!

Putin’s Russia is an enemy of the west and of America and the Democrats treat him as such, unlike Trump and his acolytes who continue to fawn all over Putin    And you’re calling  for appeasing Putin and ignoring his aggression in Europe exactly the way Republicans called for appeasing Hitler and ignoring his aggression in Europe, its no surprise considering you’re all right-wing fascists  

These Are the American Right-Wingers Covering for Putin as Russia Invades Ukraine

From Tucker Carlson to Tulsi Gabbard, these prominent Moscow apologists tried to tell you Ukraine’s fate shouldn’t matter to America

"apologizing"

Excuse me Charlie...

Listen you impetulant POS. it is not my fault your mom can shine a flashlight clear through your skull. 

You possess an incredibly dull intellect and a worse understanding of geopolitics. In short...you're a moron.

Now be a good lad and find a highway to play on.

Edited by Nationalist

3 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Canada has its own priorities...happy to still be a NATO deadbeat...costs nothing to whine about Putin and what the American presidents should have done.

Canadian truckers got more attention than Putin.

We’re already doing more than Putin-lover Trump ever would have. 

True to your form you conveniently didn’t acknowledge trumps praise and lack of condemnation. Nor did you acknowledge my point the USA DOESN’T WANT the other NATO countries to spend more. You didn’t acknowledge those points cuz you know I’m right. And so you just respond with silliness 

2 hours ago, Nationalist said:

"apologizing"

Excuse me Charlie...

Listen you impetulant POS. it is not my fault your mom can shine a flashlight clear through your skull. 

You possess an incredibly dull intellect and a worse understanding of geopolitics. In short...you're a moron.

Now be a good lad and find a highway to play on.

So you have no rebuttal, only childish insult.  Might as well waive a white flag like your fake bonespurs failed ex-president did for Putin.   You lose. 

18 minutes ago, BeaverFever said:

We’re already doing more than Putin-lover Trump ever would have.

Nope....Canada is doing far less because it cannot do more....purposely chose this path over many years.

True to your form you conveniently didn’t acknowledge trumps praise and lack of condemnation. Nor did you acknowledge my point the USA DOESN’T WANT the other NATO countries to spend more. You didn’t acknowledge those points cuz you know I’m right. And so you just respond with silliness 

Nope again....Several U.S. presidents beyond Trump have consistently admonished deadbeat NATO members for their defence spending levels.   Canada cares more about getting U.S. defence spending contracts (e.g. F-35 JSF) than investing in its own military.

5 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Nope....Canada is doing far less because it cannot do more....purposely chose this path over many years.

Nope again....Several U.S. presidents beyond Trump have consistently admonished deadbeat NATO members for their defence spending levels.   Canada cares more about getting U.S. defence spending contracts (e.g. F-35 JSF) than investing in its own military.

Its crocodile tears. Like when the big boss at work tells his lowliest employees “my job is so tough I wish I had your job” or when a parent tells their child they wish they could switch places. Larger European and Canadian forces in NATO means more European and Canadian command over NATO. and the US doesn’t want that. The US wants America as the world’s sole superpower, not NATO.  NATO is just a fig leaf so that America doesn’t look like it’s acting unilaterally when it wants to attack somebody. 

So you’re still not acknowledging the fact that Trump has praised Putin’s invasion and hasn’t condemned it.  Why are you avoiding this inconvenient truth?

Edited by BeaverFever

Just now, BeaverFever said:

... The US wants America as the world’s sole superpower, not NATO.  NATO is just a fig leaf so that America doesn’t look like it’s acting unilaterally when it wants to attack somebody. 

Nope again...NATO members agreed in 2014 (Wales Summit) to meet minimum defence spending levels as a percentage of GDP.   Canada is still one of the deadbeats.

When I was a kid back in the 1960's, we played a world conquest board game called "Risk!".   The board was basically a simplified political map of the world and I always wondered why the Ukraine was always depicted so oversized.

Maybe 20th century world wars and Cold War just made it easier to map Ukraine in such a way.   Turns out that Russian leaders have been jerking Ukraine's borders around going back to the Czars.  Then it was Lenin, Stalin, and Khrushchev's turn to expand the borders for various important (Russian) reasons.

So lets see how this latest trip down memory lane turns out.

9 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Nope again...NATO members agreed in 2014 (Wales Summit) to meet minimum defence spending levels as a percentage of GDP.   Canada is still one of the deadbeats.

Yeah but that’s just for show. Really US doesn’t want Europeans to have more control over NATO and therefore doesn’t really want them to increase the size of their military   The only thing the US wants for other NATO countries is for them to have the same or smaller militaries, but equipped with overpriced US military gear like the F-35 white elephant…hence the US demand for increased NATO budgets but not always for increased NATO force size. 

10 hours ago, BeaverFever said:

So you’re still not acknowledging the fact that Trump has praised Putin’s invasion and hasn’t condemned it.  Why are you avoiding this inconvenient truth?

So @bush_cheney2004 and @WestCanMan and @DogOnPorch are all keeping radio silence in this eh?  Despite repeated prompting, the cat’s got your tongue on Komrad Trump’s Russian love fest

17 minutes ago, BeaverFever said:

So @bush_cheney2004 and @WestCanMan and @DogOnPorch are all keeping radio silence in this eh?  Despite repeated prompting, the cat’s got your tongue on Komrad Trump’s Russian love fest

Pardon me, but I don't watch Joy Reid, Lawrence O'Donnell and Rachel Maddow. What did he say, "Happy Thursday"? Was that a dog whistle? Can you point to a spot on this dolly where Trump's words hurted you?

Was it in a secret collusion memo ?

Here's the proof Trump didn't back Putin. 

"For those who missed it, a video has been circulating of President Trump lambasting Germany and others in NATO for enabling Vladimir Putin and Russia. It’s very telling that his America-First policies were exactly what needed to be enacted. If he had enough time to make it happen with NATO, there’s a very good chance Ukraine would be safe today. Watch:"

At my place of work we have quite a few Russian workers. Unlike usually they have been noticeably quiet with a very low profile during the past couple of days. As if they are embarrassed or ashamed. 

Ridiculous really as they have nothing to apologize for. 

4 hours ago, BeaverFever said:

Still in Canada or have you made it to Kharkov yet?

7 hours ago, BeaverFever said:

Thanks for proving my point once again with another childish insult and no rebuttal. A true sign of the weak-minded 

Beave...you're loud, obnoxious and incredibly deranged. Your fetish for Trump has overwhelmed you to the point of no return...apparently. 

You are a true Tweenkie. Libbie extraordinaire. Blazen jak magor. 

My wife was talking to the Ukrainian lady who rents our Euro-house. Apparently many of the blowed up buildings we see, are old pictures from all the BS in East Ukraine over the last decade. Her family is holed up somewhere in Kiev...and fine so far.

Is Russia taking over? Is NATO advancement pushing Russia to respond as Putin claims? The Russian oil and gas is still flowing. Does NATO have any will to get involved in this? Or is this just US hawkishness rearing its head again?

Edited by Nationalist

This is like a reverse version of the Cuban missile-crisis. Imagine if Mexico and Russia signed a military-deal and Russia could have its military bases right across the border to the USA. Do you think the USA would allow that?

Actually, wasn't the invasion of Grenada in 1983 about overthrowing a government which would have been pro-Soviet?

The overthrow of the Chilean government in the 1970s most certainly was.