Omicron variant in Canada.

Damn this damn virus. I am sick and tired of this virus keep mutating itself.

Good move by the government of Canada. Step in the right direction but if it was me I would have banned non-essential travelling altogether and ban all foreign nationals from entering Canada until this damned pandemic ends. Citizens returning must undergo very strict quarantine rules and those purposely evading must be subjected to very harsh punishments including minimum mandatory jail times. 

Also remove the damn patents immediately so that much more vaccines can be produced (damn pharmaceutical companies who give priority to profit over human lives. The profit takers should be put on trial like war criminals. Also provide free vaccines to poorer countries. Vaccine equity is essential in fighting this damned virus and end it mutations.

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

3 hours ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

Citizens returning must undergo very strict quarantine rules and those purposely evading must be subjected to very harsh punishments including minimum mandatory jail times.

This new variant will be used as an excuse for the vaccines not working.

I already heard it in the news:  We can't say how effective vaccines are against this new variant.

So all vaccinated - booster shots or not, are back to square one, where I am, being unvaccinated.

Keep in mind all those travelers they will be quarantining are vaccinated since you can't travel if you're not

Edited by cougar
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, cougar said:

This new variant will used as an excuse for the vaccines not working.

I already heard it in the news:  We can't say how effective vaccines are against this new variant.

So all vaccinated - booster shots or not, are back to square one, where I am, being unvaccinated.

Keep in mind all those travelers they will be quarantining are vaccinated since you can't travel if you're not

At this time when I am responding to your post we do not know enough about this new variant to know how effective vaccines are or its transmissivity or how seriously ill it will make its victims. Scientists are working now to find out the answers to above questions in coming days and weeks. 

mRNA vaccines however, can be modified to fit the variant easily if current vaccines are found ineffective but the testing and approval would take months.

• Like 1

Good move by the government of Canada. Step in the right direction but if it was me I would have banned non-essential travelling altogether and ban all foreign nationals from entering Canada until this damned pandemic ends. Citizens returning must undergo very strict quarantine rules and those purposely evading must be subjected to very harsh punishments including minimum mandatory jail times. 

Also remove the damn patents immediately so that much more vaccines can be produced (damn pharmaceutical companies who give priority to profit over human lives. The profit takers should be put on trial like war criminals. Also provide free vaccines to poorer countries. Vaccine equity is essential in fighting this damned virus and end it mutations.

the vaccines won't stop the virus from mutating

in fact the variants that are emerging are doing so because they better get around the vaccine

and are thus proliferating relative to variants that the vaccine provides more protection against

some of these variants are emerging in places with high vaccination rates anyway

vaccinations will not stop covid

as shown in countries with the highest vaccination rates being nowhere near covid free

your nonsensical belief that vaccines will stop covid is driving your unfounded hatred of the unvaccinated

your beliefs about covid are not driven by science, but by faith in public officials who blow smoke up your ass

covid is not going away no matter what the governments do

and it isn't going to stop mutating no matter what the governments do

obvious seasonal endemic disease is obvious

learn to cope

Edited by Yzermandius19

45 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

Scientists are working now to find out the answers to above questions in coming days and weeks.

My patience is almost unlimited , so I can wait for them to figure it out.

What I want to point to; and I hope we all agree on this is - our governments admit that vaccinated people can get infected and transmit the virus to others.  Otherwise they wouldn't make a 14 day quarantine mandatory for vaccinated travelers.

9 hours ago, cougar said:

What I want to point to; and I hope we all agree on this is - our governments admit that vaccinated people can get infected and transmit the virus to others.  Otherwise they wouldn't make a 14 day quarantine mandatory for vaccinated travelers.

Of course. Everyone admits that. They are vaccines but cure  and no vaccine in the world is 100% effective. This was said from beginning. Vaccines reduce the chances of transmission and infection. Not eliminate them. That is what vaccines are.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

They are vaccines but cure  and no vaccine in the world is 100% effective.

Yes, but you were not restricted like that as a traveler before, the assumption being the vaccinated pose a very small risk.

Now the quarantines to me mean, the vaccines may not work (on this new strain?)  at all.

3 minutes ago, cougar said:

Yes, but you were not restricted like that as a traveler before, the assumption being the vaccinated pose a very small risk.

Now the quarantines to me mean, the vaccines may not work (on this new strain?)  at all.

I am an optimist and would say vaccines will work on this new strain but not as good as 90% (likely around 50 to 60%). I also say that this damn pandemic will end by summer, say June 2022.

14 hours ago, PIK said:

Cant link. But CTV says one of 2 confirmed cases in hong kong came in from canada.

It is a potential incident that a traveler from Canada to Hong Kong caught it somewhere else (outside Canada) and brought it to Hong Kong.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/federal-government-to-follow-up-with-hong-kong-on-omicron-case-with-potential-link-to-canada-1.5683417

The problem is many people use (abuse) the freedom and liberty and governments don't have the balls to do the right thing frightened of that small minorities who will cry out dictatorships.  Governments must BAN all non-essential travelling and this is the only way to slow down the spread of variants enough for science to catch up and find enough updated vaccines or treatments.

• Thanks 1

What happened to the Xi-variant as we are already at Omicron? Heh!

When they run out of the Greek alphabet they'll start naming the next variants after stars and there is an infinite amount of stars. You'll never run out of stars.

Thankfully they say they can develop vaccines for these new variants fairly easily.  It just takes a few months and then time to deliver and vaccinate everyone.  Canada needs to deliver surplus new vaccines that will work against the newest variants to southern African countries and get them vaccinated.  Right now very few people are vaccinated in those countries.  Only a few percent.  It is not a big deal to them I guess.  They are a threat to the rest of the world.  So is Canada still planning to bring in a million immigrants from the third world over the next three years?  I haven't heard much about that lately.  Immigration during the pandemic should not take place.

1 hour ago, -TSS- said:

What happened to the Xi-variant as we are already at Omicron? Heh!

When they run out of the Greek alphabet they'll start naming the next variants after stars and there is an infinite amount of stars. You'll never run out of stars.

They'll start naming them after Republicans. Didn't CNN already try to name a variant after Trump? 

On 11/26/2021 at 5:33 PM, CITIZEN_2015 said:

Good move by the government of Canada.

Leftists unanimously declared that banning flights from breakout countries doesn't work, and that it's racist if the citizens there aren't predominantly white, so.... are you saying this as a racist, a hypocrite, or have all of your conversations with conservatives started instilling some common sense in you? 

• Thanks 1

News just in that 2 cases of the Omicron variant has entered Canada (Ottawa area) thanks to African travelers from Nigeria which is not listed even among the banned African countries. They entered Canada November 23 which predates the date that the variant was declared variant of concerned. and it is unknown how many they may have infected already. 

Would not have happened if Canada had banned all entries to Canada, in particular from continent of Africa where vaccination rate is only 7%. Now to those  anti vaver crowd who may scream freedom and liberty might have been violated or those leftists who may scream racism, I would say now be ready to pay the price for your extreme ideology but the truth is we all will pay a price for your extremisms.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/omicron-variant-canada-travellers-1.6265927

Edited by CITIZEN_2015
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Shady said:

Stop losing your shit over what’s tantamount to a bad cold.

Just wait for the year five, we'll have torch marches and burning at the stake, and why not? Like how do you stop the mudslide of fear and hatred that thoughtless and irresponsible brainwashing unleashed?

30 minutes ago, Shady said:

This is a complete overreaction.  From the limited data available, those that have been infected have experienced only mild symptoms.  

As you said limited data means far from conclusive the way you stated it. This damn variant has some 50 mutations. I am not an expert in the field but that doesn't sound good.

24 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

these two individuals got infected in spite of being fully vaccinated.

You have discovered that now, with all the news of outbreaks in fully vaccinated places, like hospitals, residences, workplaces and sports teams? What an amazing insight!

41 minutes ago, myata said:

You have discovered that now, with all the news of outbreaks in fully vaccinated places, like hospitals, residences, workplaces and sports teams? What an amazing insight!

Vaccines are 90% effective on original virus which means there will be breakthrough cases, however, I have discovered now that on THIS new variant it may be far less effective because both these travelers were obviously fully fully vaccinated. This is one of the unknowns as how effective is our vaccines on this variant and nobody yet knows the answer to that.

2 hours ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

The fact that all travelers to Canada must be fully vaccinated before entry shows that these two individuals got infected in spite of being fully vaccinated. Which may mean current vaccines may not be as effective.

OK, so how come you came up with this:

Now to those  anti vaver crowd who may scream freedom and liberty might have been violated or those leftists who may scream racism, I would say now be ready to pay the price for your extreme ideology but the truth is we all will pay a price for your extremism.

You have to take a deep breath, maybe even have a drink, then think for a while before hitting that "post" button.