St Pierre and Miquelon - why is this not a territory of Canada ?

cougar

I have found it strange that Alaska has that tiny coastal strip South all the way down to almost Prince Rupert in BC, Canada.

But I find it even stranger that a territory of 250 square kilometers and less than 6,000 residents of French origin can be autonomous and sitting between NFL and continental Canada while being all the way across the Atlantic from France.

My guess is, Canada never needed this useless piece of rock for anything, but it is just a goofy looking spot on the map.

Anyone knows more about it?  Any opinions?

1 hour ago, G Huxley said:

The French are quite happy to keep it for potential offshore oil and fishing interests.

Fishing there is more or less wiped out from what I know - cod and salmon.

Oil and gas is a no go in the current climate.

If fishing ever recovers, which I doubt, wouldn't SPM be entitled to a quota proportionate to its territory and number of residents?  It is not like they can feed the whole of France with fish.

12 hours ago, cougar said:

Fishing there is more or less wiped out from what I know - cod and salmon.

Oil and gas is a no go in the current climate.

If fishing ever recovers, which I doubt, wouldn't SPM be entitled to a quota proportionate to its territory and number of residents?  It is not like they can feed the whole of France with fish.

fishing is on hold Just for Canadians, the French can still fish what ever they want in their waters. I guess you have yet to see the French fishing fleet they take what they want , when they want...along with the rest of Europe, see cod wars in which our military was involved in. 

7 hours ago, G Huxley said:

Another profitable trade there believe it or not, if I remember correctly is sea cucumbers, which are sold in bulk to China.

And this type of thing should never be happening - sending a bunch of food to the opposite side of the globe with all associated carbon emissions and killed wildlife along the way.  What a F. crazy planet we live on!

1 hour ago, G Huxley said:

Indeed, albeit they also need to survive, better would be if it was done with schooners.

They could catch enough fish for themselves and some more to trade with us for produce and other goods.  They could have also set up some tax free haven banks like those on the Isle of Man to get some money out of nothing.  Tourism is another option - they do not need to overdo it.  It is only 6,000 people there.

But what do they do?  Export sea cucumbers to China? My God! How creative.?