Trudeau vows to limit oil and gas development in Canada

Argus

Our oil and gas sector accounts for approximately 26% of Canada's total, which itself is roughly 1.5% of world emissions. Basic math then says we're looking at about 0.35% of world CO2 emissions. Trudeau will hobble our economy in order and infuriate resource provinces in order to do little more than virtue signal.

Notably, world leaders clapped politely, but no one else made a similar offer. Other world oil gas and coal producers are ramping up production as world prices spike, eager to pull in billions and billions of dollars.

Trudeau will just borrow more money instead. And if Alberta and/or Saskatchewan wants to separate, well who cares, it's not like they're important anyway since they don't vote Liberal.

Canada will impose a hard cap on emissions from the oil and gas sector, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Monday at the COP26 summit in Glasgow.

Calling the promise "a major commitment" that should inspire other resource-rich countries to dramatically curb their own emissions, Trudeau said Canada is prepared to limit the growth of one of the country's largest industries to help the world hold the global average temperature increase to 1.5 degrees Celsius.

"We'll cap oil and gas sector emissions today and ensure they decrease tomorrow at a pace and scale needed to reach net-zero by 2050," Trudeau said during his two-minute speech in front of other world leaders gathered in Scotland.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-cop26-cao-oil-and-gas-1.6232639?utm_source=ground.news&utm_medium=referral

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We are witness to the unraveling of our country.  Foreign investment discouraged, an up and coming work force that won't work, and everybody thinking they're a victim.  Canada's fucked.  It will never be what we have the potential to be.  A country of cry-babies.

Yes, some my kin have been here for thousands of years, and again, yes, the buffalo are gone. They're not coming back. Get over it.

• Like 2

Radical climate change policy is anti-human.  We are carbon footprints.  We need heat in winter, shelter, food, and reliable means of transportation to our places of employment.  Carbon taxes drive up the costs of all those items and are an assault on humanity.  Why do you think the US hasn’t implemented carbon taxes?  There are millions of climate change zealots who are quite happy to watch humanity live under a form of low emissions subsistence slavery.  This movement is real and unfolding before your eyes.  Canada’s leadership is in full support.  

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 4

Canada's climatards: "Alberta oil is bad. We need to buy our oil from ethically challenged countries like Saudi Arabia and get it shipped thousands of miles across the Atlantic in supertankers, which are the only oil-bearing vessels which can sail through our tidewaters."

Right now the US is begging OPEC to increase oil production because Biden and Trudeau did everything that they could to curtail our energy sectors in NA.

In actual fact they're traitors, but leftists are so stupid that they can't get enough virtue signalling, no matter what the topic is or how much it harms our country. 

Edited by WestCanMan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ironstone said:

It's a real pity that Canada's oil and gas sector doesn't have a much larger presence in Quebec and then this foolish announcement would have never seen the light of day. Yet another big FU to western provinces.

Once the GDP of Alberta falls to below the have not provinces who is going to be paying Quebec, and when the tap is shut off , then what...I say Alberta should just shut it down right now... and when the lights goes out and they don't have access to their media Canada will revolt.....let the rest of Canada start buying someone's else fuels to keep the lights on ....they don't want oil and gas, they don't want nuclear, or Hydro... thats the problem we don't know what we want...

• Like 1

Whatever the plan was I just don't see why its announcement has not been discussed with provinces that have highest stakes in it? What chance does it have to work in reality, unless it was only for some hot air from high tribune?

Do we see Canada's framework finally unraveling, with elites absorbed in themselves, empty posturing and enrichment at public expense? It wasn't a very likely exercise to begin with to copy over a colonial system run by unaccountable entitled bureaucrats, adorn it thinly with democratic bells and garlands and hope that it would sail for centuries. In the meanwhile maybe not such a bad idea to take a cue from New Brunswick and strike if necessary to get at least some crumbs from this pie before political elites gobble and consume it to a bare plate between themselves, with automatic annual rises in the spirit of togetherness?

• Thanks 1

Sometimes, I feel like I am talking to a fence post. Oil and coal are not the only sources of energy. Western Canada is blessed with enormous riches in uranium. We are in a position to export reactors all over the world which means jobs all over Canada. It means enhanced revenue for the Provincial and Federal Governments. The re-building and electrifying transportation around the world means jobs around the world. Transitioning away from global dependence on coal and oil fuelled energy will extend the supply coal based products  and petrochemicals for centuries beyond the current expectations. In the near future, thorium fuelled LFTR reactors, which are already being tested in China, will also come on line. 

Our solutions are simple. With fighting global warming, stop burning precious coal and oil. Change to something else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Sometimes, I feel like I am talking to a fence post. Oil and coal are not the only sources of energy.

And who has said otherwise?

Western Canada is blessed with enormous riches in uranium. We are in a position to export reactors all over the world which means jobs all over Canada.

The same people who want to close down the oil and gas industry will fight like rabid pit bulls to stop any nuclear power plant being built in Canada. Can you remember the last time one went up? I can't. Decades ago, with none planned. Pretty much the same in the rest of the industrialized world. 

That is an indictment of the education system. An accident in a nuclear power plant may injure a few people. With hydro-electric, a failure with the Columbia River Dams could injure thousands. Coal and oil powered energy, when used according to the manufacturer's instructions could cause a permian-like mass extinction.

I confess to being naive. I could not imagine that when people had the opportunity to get vaccinated against Covid, some would not do it to save lives. I cannot imagine that people faced with hundreds of millions of people dying for lack of energy, would jump at the chance to get nuclear power. About a hundred people have died in nuclear accidents in the 75 years we have had it. That includes Chernobyl and the poor guy working at the Fukushima reactor who died of a heart attack.

It is not just climate change, it is all the money to be made.

11 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

That is an indictment of the education system. An accident in a nuclear power plant may injure a few people. With hydro-electric, a failure with the Columbia River Dams could injure thousands. Coal and oil powered energy, when used according to the manufacturer's instructions could cause a permian-like mass extinction.

Preaching to the converted, bud.

I confess to being naive. I could not imagine that when people had the opportunity to get vaccinated against Covid, some would not do it to save lives.

I was equally surprised, especially at the ferocity and stupidity of the resistance. Unfortunately, you have to acknowledge a lot of dumb/crazy people exist. 

I cannot imagine that people faced with hundreds of millions of people dying for lack of energy, would jump at the chance to get nuclear power.

The Germans actually deactivated their nuclear power plants and built coal instead. Not making this up.

• Like 1

My question to my MP and his answer:

Mr.Trudeau's recent announcement at the COP26 summit is yet another nail in the coffin of the Canadian oil and gas industry. If Mr.Trudeau thinks for one second that China( the world's largest emitter )is going to follow Canada's lead he is truly dreaming.

Once the Canadian oil and gas industry is dead will all the lost revenue be replaced  from massive price increases in the cost of electricity? 
Will there be a fundamental change in Canada's equalization formula in the future seeing as how Ontario and the Western provinces have had to heavily subsidize Quebec and the Atlantic provinces?
Thank you
His response:

Thanks for sharing your concerns.

We know that we can’t ignore the climate crisis. Just in our region record high floods and even tornadoes have caused incredible damage and have left many in our community without homes.

Despite this, we also know that we can’t rush the transition to a green economy because thousands of Canadians depend on the oil and gas industry to make a living. That’s why the government will set 5-year targets, and will also ensure that the sector makes a meaningful contribution to meeting Canada’s 2030 climate goals. The government is also seeking the advice of the Net-Zero Advisory Body on how best to move forward on this approach.

Canada is leading the way toward a clean energy future by finding real solutions that the world is seeking. Together with Canadians, global partners, and industry, the government will continue to tackle the climate crisis so we can create new middle-class jobs and build a better, cleaner future for everyone.

As for equalization, it is drawn from federal, not provincial tax revenues. It is money Ottawa has collected from across the country — including Quebec and Atlantic taxpayers. This money is handed out by the federal government to ensure provinces with smaller economies are able to offer the same level of services as those with access to more tax revenues.

Thanks again for reaching out.

My thoughts:

I give him credit for replying but as expected it's pretty vague and he ignored my question about electricity prices. But words like these greatly appeal to progressives so they don't have to contain specifics. No actual mention of what will replace oil and gas. One would think that if you have the answer you would be shouting it from the rooftops. (A Liberal MP)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Sometimes, I feel like I am talking to a fence post. Oil and coal are not the only sources of energy. Western Canada is blessed with enormous riches in uranium. We are in a position to export reactors all over the world which means jobs all over Canada. It means enhanced revenue for the Provincial and Federal Governments. The re-building and electrifying transportation around the world means jobs around the world. Transitioning away from global dependence on coal and oil fuelled energy will extend the supply coal based products  and petrochemicals for centuries beyond the current expectations. In the near future, thorium fuelled LFTR reactors, which are already being tested in China, will also come on line. 

Our solutions are simple. With fighting global warming, stop burning precious coal and oil. Change to something else.

Man-made climate change is unproven and the biggest scam in history.  So Trudeau is imposing carbon taxes on Canadians for nothing.  Taxes do not reduce CO2 to begin with.  Punishing seniors for driving their car to the grocery store, doctor's appointments, and to see their grandkids is the height of ignorance of our political masters.  It has not reduced greenhouse gases and has no effect on climate change.  There is a major disconnect between politicians and the common people.  Oil and gas are natural resources that God placed in the earth for the benefit of man.  They provide the necessities of life such as heating our homes, providing transportation, food, the construction of homes, etc. etc.  If is bizarre that we are facing the biggest threat to our way of life from those who want to deprive us of the energy that runs the world.  The threat is not climate change;  it is the destruction of our essential resource industries.

13 minutes ago, ironstone said:

My question to my MP and his answer:

Mr.Trudeau's recent announcement at the COP26 summit is yet another nail in the coffin of the Canadian oil and gas industry. If Mr.Trudeau thinks for one second that China( the world's largest emitter )is going to follow Canada's lead he is truly dreaming.

Once the Canadian oil and gas industry is dead will all the lost revenue be replaced  from massive price increases in the cost of electricity? 
Will there be a fundamental change in Canada's equalization formula in the future seeing as how Ontario and the Western provinces have had to heavily subsidize Quebec and the Atlantic provinces?
Thank you
His response:

Thanks for sharing your concerns.

We know that we can’t ignore the climate crisis. Just in our region record high floods and even tornadoes have caused incredible damage and have left many in our community without homes.

Despite this, we also know that we can’t rush the transition to a green economy because thousands of Canadians depend on the oil and gas industry to make a living. That’s why the government will set 5-year targets, and will also ensure that the sector makes a meaningful contribution to meeting Canada’s 2030 climate goals. The government is also seeking the advice of the Net-Zero Advisory Body on how best to move forward on this approach.

Canada is leading the way toward a clean energy future by finding real solutions that the world is seeking. Together with Canadians, global partners, and industry, the government will continue to tackle the climate crisis so we can create new middle-class jobs and build a better, cleaner future for everyone.

As for equalization, it is drawn from federal, not provincial tax revenues. It is money Ottawa has collected from across the country — including Quebec and Atlantic taxpayers. This money is handed out by the federal government to ensure provinces with smaller economies are able to offer the same level of services as those with access to more tax revenues.

Thanks again for reaching out.

My thoughts:

I give him credit for replying but as expected it's pretty vague and he ignored my question about electricity prices. But words like these greatly appeal to progressives so they don't have to contain specifics. No actual mention of what will replace oil and gas. One would think that if you have the answer you would be shouting it from the rooftops. (A Liberal MP)

He obviously is not listening to his constituents.  All he is doing is parroting liberal talking points down to you.  One would think his job is to listen to his constituents, not try to force feed his ideas on them.

There is no "climate crisis" or "climate emergency".  Those are fear-mongering words to try to brainwash the masses.  Climate has always changed.  People should be working on adapting to changing weather instead of thinking they can play God and control the climate.  

He is also being deceptive in saying equalization does not come from provincial revenues.  Of course it doesn't come directly from the provincial government, but it is collected from the provinces via corporate taxes and income taxes.  Billions of dollars came from Alberta in the last 20 or 30 years and most went to Quebec.  He doesn't believe that because he has been brainwashed but it is a fact.

Edited by blackbird
  • Like 1

India has announced it plans to be carbon neutral by 2070. They are the world's third largest emitter. The Indian  prime minister made it clear that he expects developed countries to pay for some or most of it. Ballsy.

I'm sure Justin Trudeau  is eager to promise to make Canadians foot the bill  for nuclear armed India and the rest, China included.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

600 people died from the heat in B.C. this past summer because they were not prepared for the heat with air conditioning in their homes and the government, which claims to believe in climate change, did not help the people be prepared ahead of time.  The government also failed the people by not keeping the ambulance service in proper form to respond to calls without taking hours to get to people.  The same situation in Lytton, BC which burned down.  What did the government do to prepare for a possible fire such as that?  Nothing.  Yet the people of BC have been paying carbon taxes sinces 2008.  Where did that money all go?  Why wasn't it used to prepare for such a heat wave in B.C.?

Edited by blackbird

35 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Man-made climate change is unproven and the biggest scam in history.

The effect of carbon dioxide and methane on the re-radiation of energy is proven. You can test it in any undergraduate physics lab. It is predictable and the results confirm the prediction. The results are measurable and will be the same no matter how many times you test it. That is the definition of a scientific fact.

5 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Just a question , how much has Canada made selling or building nuclear reactors of any type todate , did we invent this tech or does it belong to someone else?  ... and how long do they take to build ?, knowing we can not get anything built in this country, climate change or not. i agree shut her all down and give and hand over the country to the climate guys...who ever they are ?, start burning candles and raising horses for transportation ...what are we transitioning to anyway ?  

The effect of carbon dioxide and methane on the re-radiation of energy is proven. You can test it in any undergraduate physics lab. It is predictable and the results confirm the prediction. The results are measurable and will be the same no matter how many times you test it. That is the definition of a scientific fact.

There is also scientific facts that say Carbon dioxide is essential to all plant life, the more the merrier....there are also facts taken from ice core samples in Antarctica and the Artic, that this has happened many times over the course of history.. Today any weather related event is climate change, any Forrest fire, draught, hot day, cold day, crazy people  is all due to climate change... i think it is time to relook at the facts and dissect them all until until we can separate the fake news and fact... and we should do it before Justin sends us down a hole we can not recover from...

It is the balance of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. It inhibits the re-radiation of energy from the sun. Reduce CO2 and /or methane and the planet cools. Increase these greenhouse gases and the planet warms. In the past, the variations occurred slowly. We are creating a situation where the GHG's are increasing faster than the earth can adapt. Rising sea levels are bad enough, but when they begin to drop you have real problems.