Canada's flag permanently at half mast

Argus

I don't always agree with Conrad Black but on this one I definitely think he's on track. Trudeau's moronic flag at half staff gesture was typical at first, all style without substance. But in lieu of anything else he's kept it permanently at half staff for months now with no indication it will ever change. This is confusing foreigners, as Black points out, something I hadn't really considered.

The most frequent opening conversational gambit that I encountered during the past three very social weeks in the refreshingly mask-free, socially undistanced city of London, was the question of why the Canadian flag on top of Canada House in Trafalgar Square appeared to be permanently at half-mast. I had the heavy duty of conceding that it was part of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau‘s endlessly protracted act of national self-humiliation and confected grief over the history of the white man’s treatment of Indigenous people in Canada over the last 500 years. The many informed people whom I encountered in London could not be described as a broadly based and deeply enthusiastic group of admirers of Justin Trudeau as a leader and clear champion of the Canadian national interest. In general, in my experience, he is seen in Europe, as in the United States, as the chic and dapper bearer of a name well-known in Canada, who deserves the credit due to being a consecutive election winner in a G7 country, but is nevertheless seen as a feckless and rather superficial posturer.

Like most people when absent from the country where they reside, I always do my best to put Canada‘s case forward as persuasively as I can to doubting foreigners. My explanation for a permanent flag in official mourning over the Canadian High Commission in the greatest public square in Britain was greeted with universal, and not always polite, incredulity. It is a challenging posture to try to defend. For reasons that he will perhaps someday make clear, Trudeau has taken it upon himself to go to unheard of and absurdly histrionic lengths to propagate the historic fraud that Canada should be permanently ashamed of its treatment of the native inhabitants of the land.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/conrad-black-lowered-flags-are-a-symbol-of-a-nation-in-decline

Edited by Argus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anything will do to distract attention from incompetent, inefficient and outrageously expensive public management that for decades now knows only how to consume public billions without producing needed, or even any results. And true, this condition seems to be permanent in the country as there's no directions where a meaningful change could come from. It's way more and worse than one particular figurehead.

5 minutes ago, Argus said:

Trudeau has taken it upon himself to go to unheard of and absurdly histrionic lengths to propagate the historic fraud that Canada should be permanently ashamed of its treatment of the native inhabitants of the land.

Now you have to also put in consideration how we treated the land and all of its other live forms, and this flag can go all the way down and get buried in the ground.

Time for a new flag.  The maple leaf is somewhat meaningless.

6 minutes ago, cougar said:

Now you have to also put in consideration how we treated the land and all of its other live forms, and this flag can go all the way down and get buried in the ground.

Well, you can always go back to your home country since you hate this one so much.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, RedDog said:

The liberal party logo flag of 1965 if not the flag of Canada. The correct flag is the Red Ensign.

C30D98C2-1D08-4DD7-B32F-1CE57481C857.jpeg

This one is kind of better, but we don\t have just French, British, Scottish and Irish in Canada.   I think our flag now should be a tapestry of the flags of all countries and nations in the world.

• Haha 1

Well, whatever this country is, it is not a stand on its own feet, modern and responsible citizens democracy. It took a colonial system of government adapted it slightly and remains, in essence a colony managed top down by a bureaucracy to a large degree isolated from the reality of the country. Just where it's started 160 years back. I think a colonial flag would be indeed a better reflection of this reality.

Edited by myata

The vaccines aren't even a year old. Nobody knows their long term effects. And yet they force, shovel them down everybody's throats, including children, in what, some higher all-encompassing knowledge? No. It's not knowledge, just same old "travel from Wuhan" arrogance, irresponsibility and stupidity of an all powerful bureaucrat free of any constraints and limits. And what if Heaven forbid, two, three four decades down the flag will be flying half mast for an entirely different reason? Oops and apology? Would it change anything, would anyone have learned anything? No, no need to make it a question.

The flag will remain at half mast, fully vaccinated people will continue to be required to wear masks, the English language will be outlawed in Quebec in federal buildings (and all public buildings), resource development will be discouraged, taxes on transportation and food will be raised along with the salaries of our highest paid public servants.  Canada is ruled by privileged, out of touch posers.  Canadians support them because they’ve become so complacent, weakened, and brainwashed by official narratives that they’re unable or unwilling to question the status quo.  Canada is being transformed from a forward-thinking advanced country to a zombie people of self-identified victims who blame their shortcomings on perceived past or current “injustices”. Collect the pogey, pass the doob, ridicule colonial Canada, and give away the farm to the most radical selfish people.  Trudeau’s Canada is a country of shame, reparations, and living in the past.  

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, cougar said:

I know a lot of Canadians have died serving this very flag, my best friend made the long trip home with this flag draped over his coffin, and while you don't have to respect it, that is a matter of choice, it comes with the many freedoms you take advantage of living in this nation everyday...Freedoms that many men and women have paid a price for you to enjoy...And yet you are willing to live under all the protections it provides you and some how you have gathered up the courage to bad mouth it's flag which is a national symbol of this nation with all it's warts and all it has given the world.

*uck you, you give me your address and I'll gladly send you the money for a plane ticket back to the communist country you came from. Where freedom is nothing more than a foreign concept, We could have you back in the gulag in the matter of days comrade.. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, myata said:

The vaccines aren't even a year old. Nobody knows their long term effects. And yet they force, shovel them down everybody's throats, including children, in what, some higher all-encompassing knowledge? No. It's not knowledge, just same old "travel from Wuhan" arrogance, irresponsibility and stupidity of an all powerful bureaucrat free of any constraints and limits. And what if Heaven forbid, two, three four decades down the flag will be flying half mast for an entirely different reason? Oops and apology? Would it change anything, would anyone have learned anything? No, no need to make it a question.

Oh for Gods sake. You nutcakes have a dozen topics already to whine about vaccines. Do you have to bring the whining over to every damned topic? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Yeah, why don't you go back from where you came?  

I was born a Canadian. You came here voluntarily and we generously let you in and let you become one and if it's not good enough for you then go home.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Argus said:

Oh for Gods sake. You nutcakes have a dozen topics already to whine about vaccines. Do you have to bring the whining over to every damned topic? 

I see, whining about Trudeau in every topic makes huge difference. Flag down signifies a failure. Under this style of management failures will be more frequent. Of course you have the choice of turning a blind eye and ignore, that is, keep ignoring multiplying and accumulating failures. Between you and Trudeau who's better? I wouldn't make this call, let the nature decide. Not like there are any other options anywhere in sight.

On 10/30/2021 at 6:32 PM, Army Guy said:

I know a lot of Canadians have died serving this very flag, my best friend made the long trip home with this flag draped over his coffin, and while you don't have to respect it, that is a matter of choice, it comes with the many freedoms you take advantage of living in this nation everyday...Freedoms that many men and women have paid a price for you to enjoy...And yet you are willing to live under all the protections it provides you and some how you have gathered up the courage to bad mouth it's flag which is a national symbol of this nation with all it's warts and all it has given the world.

*uck you, you give me your address and I'll gladly send you the money for a plane ticket back to the communist country you came from. Where freedom is nothing more than a foreign concept, We could have you back in the gulag in the matter of days comrade.. 

it's the Liberal Party of Canada flag

it's practically a swastika

I wouldn't piss on it if it was on fire

it doesn't represent freedoms

it doesn't represent protection 

nor does it represent those who fought and died serving the Crown

and it shouldn't be intertwined with any of the positives in your above posts

none of that has anything to do with the abomination of a flag

that permanently flies at half mast to pander to the woke

everything that is good about the place where we live

has nothing to do with that flag or Canada itself

those good things exist in spite of those other things, not the other way around

Edited by Yzermandius19

6 hours ago, DogOnPorch said:

This whole residential school = Treblinka has to end before there are real Treblinkas.

The whole residential school issue has been hijacked and vastly overblown by red power activists and left - liberal politicians to further their radical agenda of more state control of society and to make Canadians pay billions to FN.  There was some sexual and physical abuse, but there was no genocide.  There were no "unmarked graves".  There are neglected graves, the existence of which has been known by natives all along.  But it serves the purpose to get far more compensation and sympathy to change the narrative to unmarked graves and genocide.  Keeping the flag at half mast plays for Trudeau's agenda and base to make people think we are in some kind of crisis that needs his dictatorial powers.

Debunking Canada's moral panic over unmarked graves at residential schools for First Nations children » MercatorNet

Edited by blackbird
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, blackbird said:

The whole residential school issue has been hijacked and vastly overblown by red power activists and left - liberal politicians to further their radical agenda of more state control of society and to make Canadians pay billions to FN.  There was some sexual and physical abuse, but there was no genocide.  There were no "unmarked graves".  There are neglected graves, the existence of which has been known by natives all along.  But it serves the purpose to get far more compensation and sympathy to change the narrative to unmarked graves and genocide.  Keeping the flag at half mast plays for Trudeau's agenda and base to make people think we are in some kind of crisis that needs his dictatorial powers.

Debunking Canada's moral panic over unmarked graves at residential schools for First Nations children » MercatorNet

In BC, the only folks whipping slaves where the coastal tribes. 

I saw a flag at half staff at a supermarket today but not at a fire hall. The half staff honour, like so many thing in society has been ruined by special interest groups and Antifa.

When I see a flag at half staff now I’m not likely to know why and thus don’t likely care.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2021 at 9:09 PM, Yzermandius19 said:

it's the Liberal Party of Canada flag

it's practically a swastika

I wouldn't piss on it if it was on fire

it doesn't represent freedoms

it doesn't represent protection 

nor does it represent those who fought and died serving the Crown

and it shouldn't be intertwined with any of the positives in your above posts

none of that has anything to do with the abomination of a flag

that permanently flies at half mast to pander to the woke

everything that is good about the place where we live

has nothing to do with that flag or Canada itself

those good things exist in spite of those other things, not the other way around

No it's our nations flag, some may look like it , but this one is our nations. Maybe one day when you get elected you can change it....

Your free to think what ever you want, again part of those freedoms protected for you by our countries military forces every day all day , 365 days a year . I'm glad you would not piss on it, as you may not respect our flag , but i'm sure not everyone is going to stand around and watch you take a piss on our flag..

It does represent many of those that have paid the price for this nation, in my conflict 160 people died wearing that flag on their uniforms, and everyone of them had that flag draped over their caskets for the long trip home...with well over 3000 being wounded and the other 400 that have committed suicide all wore that flag on their shoulders. You have no idea what those men and women volunteered to go over and fight an enemy determined by our government. Every Canadian soldier that was buried in Canada in our nations military cemetery, and every one of them buried in Europe and Korea dating back to WWI have a maple leaf in a circle on each of their tomb stones...

I don't give a rat ass what Justin does with our nations flag, it does not change anything for me, or thousands of soldiers and more than 1/2 of Canadians are woke, or we would not be looking at another liberal government . And so far the conservatives are not smart enough to crack that nut...