job market is at pre pandemic levels.

While Canada's employment has returned to pre-pandemic levels, wage growth was up 1.7% on the year in September, compared with 4.3% in February 2020, right before the onset of the pandemic, according to Statistics Canada.

I have a question perhaps someone can explain it to me , how can our employment numbers be the same as pre pandemic , when there is such a job shortage, did the business sector all of a sudden double i don't recall a worker shortage pre pandemic...

3 hours ago, Cannucklehead said:

I'm just speculating, but seeing as how wage growth is up and unemployment is down its sounds like more people are going into business for themselves.  

It would make sense since so many people were unemployed due to the pandemic.  

Wage growth is up from what exactly?  You mean from when nobody was working?  

6 hours ago, myata said:

Macdonalds and Amazon jobs wouldn't generally see automatic annual rises as some of us.

No sector's annual rise can match the annual rise of Canada government debt:

canada-government-debt.png?s=canadagovde

A sci-fi version of explanation:

Just imagine those politicians who offer you salary rise, better welfare, border wall.....weapons to win the unwinnable wars? are some time-travelling pirates----they time-travel into future to rob your children or grandchildren for paying the bill of the stuffs which you want in the present day....? 

In the meanwhile, I haven't been to Tim Hortons recently for a number of reasons, bland coffee being one. Just out of curiosity stopped by yesterday. My memory told me, from some years back before pandemics, that a small coffee should be around $1 like 1.20 and a muffin around 1.50 ($3 total, with tax) if it serves me well. But my eyes told differently, both just under $2 (coffee 1.60, muffin 1.80 = 3.80). That's like 9% annual inflation, taken over three years. Now, how far does you automatic annual salary raise go?

On 10/28/2021 at 4:59 PM, Cannucklehead said:

I'm just speculating, but seeing as how wage growth is up and unemployment is down its sounds like more people are going into business for themselves.  

It would make sense since so many people were unemployed due to the pandemic.  

Nonfarm employment has risen by 17.4 million since the trough in April, 2020, but it is still down by 5 million from its pre-pandemic level in February, 2020.

Economists say many people retired and fewer immigrants coming into the U.S. are two factors behind the labor shortage.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/29/labor-shortage-supply-constraints-and-inflation-hold-back-economy-trying-to-emerge-from-pandemic.html

So... this is going to be an experiment (forced) in what happens when we reduce immigration including so-called illegal immigration.  People are saying that folks are lazy and relying on government assistance.  Maybe, but they always were.

The market doesn't lie.

Interesting, not so? How is it possible that there's a serious job shortage with a highest in decades inflation, and no salary raises? Is it because all "jobs" are not the same? A shortage of high-paying government jobs may look very different from that of Amazon/McDonalds jobs that certainly aren't "farm jobs", no-no!

Now, instead of addressing real issues of efficiency, productivity and opportunities bring in more immigrants to fill low paying, subsistence level jobs. What happens? You instantly increased demand for low cost housing; there isn't much more in the tax revenues as incomes are low and some would need support being new to the country. What problems does it solve? Can you solve anything by doing the same thing and hoping for a great improvement?

And another interesting discussion on the meaning of "lazy". Can "travel from Wuhan", after two decades of warnings and with $400K compensation be called "lazy"? Or if not then what should it be called, which word? And if it's OK to be lazy with a $400K salary why is it wrong for 20K with two night shifts a week? Or being "lazy" is not a right but a privilege, like an entitlement? Interesting!

8 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/29/labor-shortage-supply-constraints-and-inflation-hold-back-economy-trying-to-emerge-from-pandemic.html

So... this is going to be an experiment (forced) in what happens when we reduce immigration including so-called illegal immigration.  People are saying that folks are lazy and relying on government assistance.  Maybe, but they always were.

The market doesn't lie.

It has to be deeper than that, while lower immigration numbers may have played a part, i think it was a perfect storm of many contributing factors, like many kids or a large part of our part time work force are collecting or where collecting the CERB, why work when the government is going to pay you more for doing less. 

Not only Canada but most other nations completely shut down their economies, sent workers home, during this time nothing or very little was getting done, or getting manufactured. IE chips for cars, mining operations, the list goes on and on.. and it is catching up to us now...

i just assume that Chinas, North Korea, any communist country really i mean who immigrates to North Korea or China immigration numbers are not that high, like Japan, or other nations that restrict immigration heavily and yet they are effected by this whole mass supply chain thing

China and India are having massive coal shortages, which is cause brown outs apparently they are so bad a lot of the manufacturing districts are shut down or have limited power available .

Then we have Opec and Russia screwing around with oil and gas production...driving up the price which is reflected in every going up in prices.

Justin Carbon tax is not helping either. 

Poor crop out puts this year is having effect on the entire supply chain.

major shipping ports in US are plugged with to many ships...

just before the pandemic there was a lot of stories of migrant workers being treated very poorly, poor housing, wages, benefits etc... total lock downs when everyone else was not that restricted. maybe they just said pick your own shit it is not worth it... And those jobs are beneath most Canadians 

On 10/29/2021 at 12:00 AM, xul said:

No sector's annual rise can match the annual rise of Canada government debt:

canada-government-debt.png?s=canadagovde

A sci-fi version of explanation:

Just imagine those politicians who offer you salary rise, better welfare, border wall.....weapons to win the unwinnable wars? are some time-travelling pirates----they time-travel into future to rob your children or grandchildren for paying the bill of the stuffs which you want in the present day....? 

That would explain the whole Justin thing....time traveling liberals, WTF,  no wonder the conservatives are always losing the liberals know their plan before the conservatives do... 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/1/2021 at 8:45 AM, Michael Hardner said:

The market doesn't lie.

So called illegal.  So jumping the queue and swimming the Rio Grande is legal how?  Why do Mexicans get special privileges' so someone from Haiti won't get.

The problem is illegals use more social services than they pay in taxes - IF they pay taxes even.

On 11/1/2021 at 8:45 AM, Michael Hardner said:

The market doesn't lie.

Sorry but I have to laugh you cited CNBC.  These guys were total frauds up in the 2000 tech bubble.  I don't trust these shills for Wall Street.

22 minutes ago, Faramir said:

1. So jumping the queue and swimming the Rio Grande is legal how? 

2. Why do Mexicans get special privileges' so someone from Haiti won't get.

3. The problem is illegals use more social services than they pay in taxes - IF they pay taxes even.

1. No.  What are you talking about?

2. They don't.

3. How do illegals use social services exactly? I read a study that said the opposite of what you're saying.. but maybe you can provide your cite first

24 minutes ago, Faramir said:

Sorry but I have to laugh you cited CNBC.  These guys were total frauds up in the 2000 tech bubble.  I don't trust these shills for Wall Street.

Well okay, if you think that shortages the supply chain problems aren't happening... Feel free to provide your own source.

21 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. No.  What are you talking about?

2. They don't.

3. How do illegals use social services exactly? I read a study that said the opposite of what you're saying.. but maybe you can provide your cite first

They end up using hospital services.  And yes they do.  They sneak over the border in tens of thousands and then get to work.  Something say even a Canadian can't do.  Never mind they are not being checked for COVID.  Of course shills like the Chamber of Commerce love employing Mexicans, lowering wages for other Americans.

Not to mention that Mexicans provide millions of votes for Democrat candidates.  Enough to throw the election Biden's way.

Edited by Faramir

We need to emulate Japan who have serious and responsible levels of immigration that don't pose a security threat or a threat to the general welfare of the host country.  Immigration is not or should be a process of charity and should always be to benefit the host country. 

Edited by Faramir

1 hour ago, Faramir said:

1. They end up using hospital services.  And yes they do. 

2. They sneak over the border in tens of thousands and then get to work.  Something say even a Canadian can't do. 

3. Never mind they are not being checked for COVID.  Of course shills like the Chamber of Commerce love employing Mexicans, lowering wages for other Americans.

4. Not to mention that Mexicans provide millions of votes for Democrat candidates.  Enough to throw the election Biden's way.

1. Cite requested.

2. Are you saying that there are NO Canadians working illegally in the USA?

3. Irrelevant.

4. Crazy idea.  Cite requested for this also.

59 minutes ago, Faramir said:

We need to emulate Japan who have serious and responsible levels of immigration that don't pose a security threat or a threat to the general welfare of the host country.  Immigration is not or should be a process of charity and should always be to benefit the host country. 

Is Faramir your real name?

Where are you from?

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Cite requested.

2. Are you saying that there are NO Canadians working illegally in the USA?

3. Irrelevant.

4. Crazy idea.  Cite requested for this also.

Let's be real. I am sure you know the number of Canadians illegally working in the US is miniscule compared to 40 million undocumented Mexicans working or not working in the USA.    Ann Coulter does a fairly good job in many of her books how Democrats cheat.  One way is getting Mexicans to vote illegally, so much so to sway an entire election.