Prostitution in Canada

square

The current prostitution laws in Canada is simply put stupid and idiotic pushed into parliament by the then stupid Prime Minister (Harper) and his idiotic injustice minister Peter Mackay in 2014 for political reasons only and that is to gain or retain the support of religious ultra right whose mandate is to impose its backward idiotic beliefs on the majority rest of population like ISIS did in middle east.

The Cons manipulated their way into making new laws pass through the Conservative dominated Parliament in which was a failed Nordic model (imported from Sweden) for which those affected (sex workers) were not consulted or invited as witnesses as the Cons picked their own witnesses. .

The new laws believe it or not makes the selling of sex legal but purchasing of sex illegal and criminal offence!!!!!!!. It protects pimps as security guards!!!!! It seriously jeopardizes the lives of sex workers and give protection to dirty pimps who pose as security guards (yes pimps as security guards or drivers are protected under Harper's imported prostitution laws!!!!!!).

https://globalnews.ca/news/6073593/canadas-sex-worker-laws-bill-c36/

The Liberals did not do much better even though they promised to  repeal these stupid laws in 2015 before election but they lied big time because they feared it may backfire on them or appear to be supportive of prostitution.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/john-ivison-liberal-foot-dragging-on-prostitution-law-may-lead-to-charter-challenge

I don't know what is the best laws for prostitution. I wish that such thing did not exist but it does exist and is the oldest profession but pushing it underground makes everything much more dangerous and gives rise to violence against most vulnerable women and protects pimps who are the real criminals. Many including most of sex workers believe that the New Zealand model of prostitution is the best and protects the best sex workers and statistics back their claims

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sex-workers-like-new-zealand-law-not-canada-s-new-nordic-model-for-prostitution-1.2665431#:~:text=Prostitution%2C including brothel ownership and,under 18 years is illegal.

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

2 hours ago, square said:

What are your thoughts on this issue? It didn't any headlines during the election since it happens. Though prostitution does happen though we don't know how big it is in Canada. Should it continue to be half legal , have illegal? Should we go full legalization?

Are you asking for a friend?

De

1 hour ago, Faramir said:

Oh Good Lord what a tirade.  And Citing CBC of all news media.  LOL.

It's complicated.  Part of me says legalize it.  But I am not very informed on sexual trafficking, ect.....

Deal with sex trafficking severely with minimum long sentences and pimping, underage and forced prostitution but legalize consensual sex trade. There are two separate issues don't mix them up.

8 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

De

Deal with sex trafficking severely with minimum long sentences and pimping, underage and forced prostitution but legalize consensual sex trade. There are two separate issues don't mix them up.

Yes but some would say prostitution is really never not forced.  Not my opinion necessarily.  But then again if we don't criminalize other harmful practices like drinking or gambling why this one?  It's actually a tougher one for me than say hard core drugs.  

4 minutes ago, Faramir said:

Yes but some would say prostitution is really never not forced.  Not my opinion necessarily.  But then again if we don't criminalize other harmful practices like drinking or gambling why this one?  It's actually a tougher one for me than say hard core drugs.  

Well that is not simply true. It is only forced if the one side is forced into this against her will but I don't consider economic need as forced as many (almost everyone) also would prefer to stay home and enjoy TV or else at home than going to work and clean shit (nurses, plumbers, cleaners) or drive in hot or cold weather in heavy traffic or else because of economic reasons. We all have to or forced to work because of economic reasons.

On 10/14/2021 at 7:31 PM, CITIZEN_2015 said:

De

Sounds a lot like what the harper government tried to do introduce minimum sentences that the left so disliked...

I agree sex trafficking should be dealt with the same resources devoted to drugs. and Europe has pretty much master the prostitution issue, and collects taxes from it...controls it, provides police presence to designated parts of the cities, girls are licensed, with mandatory medical check ups...nothing is perfect but it is a lot better than what we have now..  

23 hours ago, Army Guy said:

I agree sex trafficking should be dealt with the same resources devoted to drugs. and Europe has pretty much master the prostitution issue, and collects taxes from it...controls it, provides police presence to designated parts of the cities, girls are licensed, with mandatory medical check ups...nothing is perfect but it is a lot better than what we have now..  

Only part of Europe like Holland, Germany, Turkey, Greece, Spain, Portugal but most of Europe not so. In some parts they have the failed Swedish , UK, Norway and some outright illegal like Russia, Poland......

1 hour ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

Only part of Europe like Holland, Germany, Turkey, Greece, Spain, Portugal but most of Europe not so. In some parts they have the failed Swedish , UK, Norway and some outright illegal like Russia, Poland......

The oldest profession in the world , one would have thought we could have made it better, safer than we do now. 

And while most of Europe it is still illegal i think we could learn a few things from the ones that it is legal. i find it kind of ironic the amount of resources we put into fighting drugs, but we can't put the same amount into keeping our kids from being trafficked or those that are in the profession safe...