Fighting to the Death Might be Legal in Chicago Now

Last night Tucker Carlson briefly touched on the topic of violence in Chicago. It happened at about the 9th minute iirc, just after he talked about the fact that the AG, M Garland, is getting the FBI to investigate parents who cross a line in their debates at PTA meetings lol.

Anyways, he said that 5 men were released without charges in an incident where a man was killed, because the prosecutors determined that it was "mutual combat". The same reasoning was given when no charges were pressed in the stabbing death of a 19 yr-old. 

Shooting Death:

I looked into it briefly, this is the first article that I pulled up about the shooting death: https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2021/10/3/22707555/5-suspects-released-without-charges-deadly-shootout-austin

In a statement later Sunday, Cristina Villareal, a spokeswoman for the Cook County state’s attorney’s office, explained that prosecutors had “determined that the evidence was insufficient to meet our burden of proof to approve felony charges.” Police officials agreed with the decision, Villareal added.

While she wouldn’t specify what other evidence prosecutors needed to file charges, the police report acknowledged that victims of the shootout weren’t cooperating with investigators.

But the report also framed the state’s attorney’s office’s decision to decline charges in a different light: “Mutual combatants was cited as the reason for the rejection.” Mutual combat is a legal term used to define a fight or struggle that two parties willingly engage in.

Not sure what to make of this one. 

The shootout was on Oct 1 and the decision not to press charges was reported on Oct 4th. It's possible that charges could still be pressed, but the prosecutors and police both seemed pretty dismissive of the need for murder charges, and "Mutual combatants" does seem to have been a part of the decision-making process. 

Stabbing Death:

This one seems pretty outrageous on it's face. Again, the first article that I pulled up was from Yahoo News: https://news.yahoo.com/illinois-family-outraged-no-murder-160408092.html

According to WGN 9, video of the fight shows Porties Jr. being punched in the face by a 17-year-old, who then stabs him in the neck as he lies on the ground.

The younger teenager has not been identified but has been charged with misdemeanor unlawful use of a weapon.

“They’re saying that it’s mutual combat,” said the slain man’s father, Manuel Porties. “How is it mutual combat when my son didn’t have anything to combat with? The only thing he had was his two hands.”

FWIW, Yahoo News is as far left as it gets, so I don't think for a second that they wrote this to make anyone look bad - Chicago and the state that it's in, Illinois, are run by leftists.

It sounds like "mutual combat" to the point where the one kid was punched in the face and laid on the ground, the stabbing doesn't sound like "mutual combat" at all.

I don't have all day to look into this shit, but if it's legitimate, as it seems to be from two minutes worth of Google searches, it's absolute insanity. 

I'm not gonna get into who's to blame here for the ultra-low standards that are apparently being set for Illinois society, because it seems too important of a matter to be derailed by partisan political squabbling, but if someone has more info on this I'd love to see it. 

Side note regarding race: I don't know the ethnicity of any of the perpetrators, but the kid that was stabbed to death was black as can be. I dunno about the 19 yr-old that was shot, but if he was also black, this could be viewed as two instances where law enforcement is legalizing the murders of black kids/men. Am I crazy?

Where's BLM? And what do they do - ask the police/prosecutors to be tougher on black men (if the perps were black) or celebrate the fact that they weren't prosecuted? (I'm 100% certain that the perps weren't white or for sure the leftist enclave of Illinois would be in flames right now) 

Edited by WestCanMan
Bolding and underlining

If the idea is to elect prosecutors who don't want to prosecute or incarcerate anyone, or elect politicians who want to dismantle  the prison system and de-fund the cops...  how else do you deal with society's most violent people?  might as well let them kill one another. The problem is that innocent bystanders, kids, and babies in strollers, are getting shot.  It's either total insanity, or they've just decided to capitulate and throw in the towel.

Edited by suds
added content
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Yeah, wow.  Didn't see that coming.

TBH, leftists don't like putting people in jail.

Not prosecuting and/or bailing out rioters was huge for Demmies in 2020.  Defund police has helped the murder rate skyrocket. Their DAs are ridiculously soft on crime. This is just the worst example of Demmie DAs in action. 

• Like 1

They've legalized gang warfare, public assassinations, or whatever you want to call it.   The shootings occurred in a residential area at around 10 am.   4 people get out of 2 cars and open fire on a house.  Those inside the house return fire and kill one of the gunmen.  The shell casings indicate at least 70 rounds fired.   And no charges laid by the district attorney because those involved were considered 'mutual combatants'.  Have americans lost their bloody minds???

9 minutes ago, suds said:

They've legalized gang warfare, public assassinations, or whatever you want to call it.   The shootings occurred in a residential area at around 10 am.   4 people get out of 2 cars and open fire on a house.  Those inside the house return fire and kill one of the gunmen.  The shell casings indicate at least 70 rounds fired.   And no charges laid by the district attorney because those involved were considered 'mutual combatants'.  Have americans lost their bloody minds???

I think around half of americans have lost their minds. How has it ever come to this? I think one major reason is the level of hard left indoctrination in universities and colleges by ultra-radical tenured professors. I watch the videos from Campus Reform on Youtube and I can't believe just how dim and uninformed so many of these students are. These kids are getting fed crazy ideas at an even earlier age now. Critical thinking is in short supply.

16 hours ago, suds said:

I thought that they were all in cars.

In the video that I saw of it, it looked as if the guys who jumped out of the cars were shooting at people in cars behind them on the road, because of the angle they were shooting at.

If they were shooting at people inside of a house then this makes much more sense from an American POV, in my opinion.

If you shoot at a house in the States and you get blown away, no one gives a crap. Even if they were gang bangers in that house, it's still "a house" unless maybe it's just a meth lab on a residential street. 

On 10/9/2021 at 12:31 PM, suds said:

clicking on the hyperlink 'brazen mid-morning gunfight' (from the first link posted in the op) gives you more (updated) information.   Or you can simply click here.....

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2021/10/1/22704457/austin-shooting-mason-swat-devlin-addison

It makes more sense after looking at that article.

It's not really a crime in the US to kill people when you're defending your own home. 

On 10/11/2021 at 3:32 PM, WestCanMan said:

It makes more sense after looking at that article.

It's not really a crime in the US to kill people when you're defending your own home. 

I would agree if it were a case of law abiding people defending their own homes, except the term 'mutual combatants' implies something more like gang warfare.  If i lived in an area where something like that happened i wouldn't be so easy to accept it.  Neither should law enforcement or the district attorney's office.  Not a single charge laid,  not even disturbance of the peace?   No wonder why things are so out of control.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, suds said:

I would agree if it were a case of law abiding people defending their own homes, except the term 'mutual combatants' implies something more like gang warfare.  If i lived in an area where something like that happened i wouldn't be so easy to accept it.  Neither should law enforcement or the district attorney's office.  Not a single charge laid,  not even disturbance of the peace?   No wonder why things are so out of control.

For sure you have a point, and hopefully there can be a distinction drawn between "defending your gang's drug house" and defending your actual home. 

But then I wouldn't put it past these guys to move a baby into their gang crib just to call it a home.