Conservative party leadersip (erin otoole)

16 hours ago, BubberMiley said:

Are you referring to the one alternate verse of the song "Vancouver Town" by the pedophile Rolf Harris? Why?

No. I've never heard anything about Mr. Harris being a pedophile. It is irrelevant to the point. No, the song is a version of a folk song, The Wild Colonial Boy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

No. I've never heard anything about Mr. Harris being a pedophile. It is irrelevant to the point. No, the song is a version of a folk song, The Wild Colonial Boy.

I think he finally got out of jail recently. But oftenwrong is correct in that I'm always right. You are mistakenly referring to a verse from "Vancouver Town". And I agree with you about its irrelevance. I was just curious why you would start talking about an imaginary song by a convicted pedophile.

https://vancouversignaturesounds.com/hits/vancouver-town-71-rolf-harris/

Edited by BubberMiley

1 hour ago, BubberMiley said:

I was just curious why you would start talking about an imaginary song by a convicted pedophile.

I was unaware of his problems. I've been in exile from BC since Bill Bennett and Slick Willi Vander Zalm. I do sneak back to spend time in my cabin in the Kootenays.

Good posts!

Also let's not forget that ditching a leader right after an election loss did not work out well at all for either Conservatives (Harper, Scheer) or NDP (Mulcair). In many ways it's better to keep the leader on as the leader can adapt to the party and win voters over time, much like the electorate seems to need time now to adapt to the idea of voting out a government or even changing their voting intentions.

13 hours ago, 500channelsurfer said:

Good posts!

Also let's not forget that ditching a leader right after an election loss did not work out well at all for either Conservatives (Harper, Scheer) or NDP (Mulcair). In many ways it's better to keep the leader on as the leader can adapt to the party and win voters over time, much like the electorate seems to need time now to adapt to the idea of voting out a government or even changing their voting intentions.

In what ways is it better to keep him on as the leader, He changed his direction 180 degrees midway through an election just to gather a few more votes from the left... People put him in the leadership post because of his original platform...

He is not adapting to the party, he is forcing the party to adapt to him. The voting electorate needs time, how much time a decade or so, the left are not going to change their minds about Justin, they are convinced the right is poisoned, not worthy of being heard...want to change the electorates minds pay them, buy them off, show them the money!!!!  

36 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

In what ways is it better to keep him on as the leader, He changed his direction 180 degrees midway through an election just to gather a few more votes from the left... People put him in the leadership post because of his original platform...

He is not adapting to the party, he is forcing the party to adapt to him. The voting electorate needs time, how much time a decade or so, the left are not going to change their minds about Justin, they are convinced the right is poisoned, not worthy of being heard...want to change the electorates minds pay them, buy them off, show them the money!!!!  

The voting electorate has been very slow to decide to change governments and you are correct it seems to be about a decade or so recently: Chrétien+Martin: 13 years; Harper: 9 years; Justin: going on 7 years.

During this time, opposition parties who ditched their leaders quickly after an election did not do better in the next election: Day, Mulcair; but when parties kept their leaders on throughout multiple elections, they were able to grow their parties and eventually become opposition: Manning, Layton; and now look at Bernier increasing his vote share by staying on as leader throughout multiple elections. 

The left will change their minds once they become comfortable with a leader. Harper once took the 905 and Layton once took Quebec. But of course you are correct O'Toole made a few too many flip-flops rather than try to convince electorate of his original platform; this new leader too needs time to grow into the position/party/etc.

32 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

The CPC has all the votes the right can provide. It isn't enough. Where else are you going to find votes if not from the centre- centre left. The campaign Mr. O'Toole ran to get the leadership was not the platform that can win an election. There are too many people in the CPC who place ideology over pragmatism. They are just like New Democrats. 

1 minute ago, 500channelsurfer said:

But of course you are correct O'Toole made a few too many flip-flops rather than try to convince electorate of his original platform;

It is not the role of a politician to convince voters. Their job is to do what the voters want. I think the technical term for that is "democracy." The politician must adapt to the electorate. The election result shows that the electorate has not changed their views on the make up of Parliament.

10 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

It is not the role of a politician to convince voters. Their job is to do what the voters want. I think the technical term for that is "democracy." The politician must adapt to the electorate.

In an election campaign, politicians are salesmen. They try to sell the voters their platform.

During non-election campaign times, they are out there asking the voters what they want in order to build platforms.

It is doing both at the same time that caused O'Toole his trouble.

Edited by 500channelsurfer

13 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

The CPC has all the votes the right can provide. It isn't enough. Where else are you going to find votes if not from the centre- centre left. The campaign Mr. O'Toole ran to get the leadership was not the platform that can win an election. There are too many people in the CPC who place ideology over pragmatism. They are just like New Democrats. 

It is not the role of a politician to convince voters. Their job is to do what the voters want. I think the technical term for that is "democracy." The politician must adapt to the electorate. The election result shows that the electorate has not changed their views on the make up of Parliament.

What ever votes he gained from the left, where lost in conservatives not voting or voting PPC. changing directions 180 degrees did not gain anything in fact he lost seats...

Do we need another left leaning political party , NO, and by going in this direction, conservatives will place their votes in the other alternatives, wait a minute the PPC party ,maybe, there is no other place is there.

I disagree on the role of the politician job, I mean the Average Canadian knows very little about politics or what is need to run the country, and you want to leave the direction of our nation to these guys... good luck... Canadians are interested in where is the money and what is in it for them... at some point Canadians will have to pay for all this and where is that coming from...It is up to the politician to bring balance what is need for the nation with what the public wants. 

On 10/6/2021 at 3:57 PM, blackbird said:

No, I don't agree.  O'Toole moving toward the left makes him look more like a liberal lite.  He lost some seats and didn't do well in ridings where he should have done better.  Trying to become more liberal just doesn't gain many votes for conservatives in the Toronto 905 ridings and in Quebec.  People just don't see him or the Conservative Party as being much different than the Liberals.  He adopted carbon taxes against the wishes of the majority of the party in the convention.  That was a fatal mistake.   Just claiming he wants the party to be a big tent party just doesn't cut it or convince anyone of anything.   He is not a true conservative.  He is too much of an appeaser.   Keeping him on would mean losing the next election.  I don't see any reason at all why he would do much better.  The way it looks is if O'Toole leads into another election, Trudeau will win another minority government and we will be no better off.

otoole is you best chance to win lol.. another right wing like harper  wont work out right now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Army Guy said:

you seriously need to move out west lol.. your views are so anti atlantic canadian... and of course people are gonna vote for who offers them the most money lol... thats the whole point of electing people "who will do the most for me personally"

2 hours ago, EastCanada90 said:

you seriously need to move out west lol.. your views are so anti atlantic canadian... and of course people are gonna vote for who offers them the most money lol... thats the whole point of electing people "who will do the most for me personally"

Ya i guess so, getting a good job, and paying my own way must have come from the rights side of the morals and values tree... instead off putting your hand out every time there is an election to see who is going to offer the most...But i guess not having a good paying job really means you really don't contribute to the tax base all that much, do you. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Army Guy said:

Ya i guess so, getting a good job, and paying my own way must have come from the rights side of the morals and values tree... instead off putting your hand out every time there is an election to see who is going to offer the most...But i guess not having a good paying job really means you really don't contribute to the tax base all that much, do you. 

lol i pay my taxes so yea i vote for who offers me the most money.. like MOST people do lol..  its why the west vote tory and us east vote liberal.. each party benefits both areas more.

21 hours ago, Army Guy said:

The problem is, Conservative activists are not the same as the voting public. I was an activist from Diefenbaker to MacKay's stabbing the Conservative party in the back, killing it. There are a lot of conservative activists in the party that hold really untenable ideas. I know, I'm one of them. We see anti vaxxers, anti fluoride people, and then some really crazy ones like me. I've heard some say get rid of the CBC, which was created by the Conservative government. This country would not exist if Conservative PM Sir John A. MacDonald had not poured taxpayer money into building the railway. We are carrying an enormous debt load from the response to Covid. Does anyone doubt a Conservative government would have handled it differently? I sure hope not. 

No government can govern through an ideological sense. Ideology is the stupid idea that a single philosophy can answer all problems It is the enemy of pragmatism and it is the main issue that holds the CPC back.

The Canadian Radio Broadcasting Commission was created by R. B. Bennett in 1932. Rex turned it into a Crown Corporation in 1936 and renamed it the CBC. It is the republican nut jobs who want to get rid of it. Then there are the Conservative nut jobs like me who enjoy Quirks and Quarks, As it Happens, Coronation Street, Frankie Drake Power and Politics, At Issue, and in the past, the Friendly Giant, the Journal with Barbara Frum, and This Hour Has Seven Days that see it as a valuable service that provides something for everyone. 

Edited by Queenmandy85

13 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

The Canadian Radio Broadcasting Commission was created by R. B. Bennett in 1932. Rex turned it into a Crown Corporation in 1936 and renamed it the CBC. It is the republican nut jobs who want to get rid of it. Then there are the Conservative nut jobs like me who enjoy Quirks and Quarks, As it Happens, Coronation Street, Frankie Drake Power and Politics, At Issue, and in the past, the Friendly Giant, the Journal with Barbara Frum, and This Hour Has Seven Days that see it as a valuable service that provides something for everyone. 

that's the CRBC

9 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Remember what happened when Mulroney pre-empted Coronation Street to talk about Meech.

The BBC and the CBC don't belong to you. They are Crown Corporations. You are talking like a republican New Democrat. 

fck them and the horse they rode in on

government run broadcasting is for communists

nothing but propaganda and shitty programming

I don't care if Canadians enjoy it

they are stupid sheeple who like dumb shit

Edited by Yzermandius19