Gas Prices, International Markets -- What's Happening?

betsy

I don't understand. 

They're panicking in UK over gas.  Their government said, it's due to shortage of drivers.

Empty shelves, gasoline shortages and sky-high energy prices? Britain is facing a ‘difficult winter’

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/24/empty-shelves-and-gasoline-shortages-uk-facing-a-difficult-winter.html

Even the USA faces the same problem.

Empty Shelves Plague Grocery Stores as Supply and Staff Shortages Continue

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/empty-shelves-plague-grocery-stores-as-supply-and-staff-shortages-continue/vp-AAN4y73

Why is there a shortage of workers?  Meatpacking company in Canada is asking for permission to hire temporary migrants to fill the vacancies.

And even now, some products are not available (like other diet colas)!

Edited by Charles Anthony
added to title

2 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

Do you think Brexit and losing a very large labour pool that could’ve helped with Britain’s truck driver shortage could be part of the issue?

Why is that, if we where to pin this on a policy or other action taken by government which one would you hang it on...Could it be we are still paying people to stay home ? why work when i can get it all for free... Money is what motivates Canadians and most others...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

Why is that, if we where to pin this on a policy or other action taken by government which one would you hang it on...Could it be we are still paying people to stay home ? why work when i can get it all for free... Money is what motivates Canadians and most others...

Drivers who were EU citizens went back to EU. EU drivers don’t want to come to the UK because of red tape and poor amenities for drivers compared to Europe.

2 hours ago, Army Guy said:

I’ve read it’s a combination of things….  Some panic buying…. Brexit shrinking the labour pool by a huge amount…. And COVID issues.

How much of each, I have no idea.

38 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Drivers who were EU citizens went back to EU. EU drivers don’t want to come to the UK because of red tape and poor amenities for drivers compared to Europe.

This is what I've read. It's easy to be a truck driver in other parts of the EU. In the UK there isn't even a place to park your rig and sleep for the night unless you want to pay a ton of money. Most towns have nowhere you're even allowed to pull over and park for the night, much less a place where you can get something to eat and a shower. There are tons of rules and regulations, costs and fees, and the trucking companies have lowered the wages to the ground back when they could attract desperate Europeans from the likes of Poland and Romania which caused the professional British truck drivers to quit in disgust.

19 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Brexiteers were moaning about Eastern Europeans taking their jobs so they all left and this is some of the fallout.

On the other hand, they were right. There was such a plentiful supply of poor eastern Europeans the trucking companies made the jobs so crappy no one else would take them. And all the pristine towns and cities turned up their noses at the thought of a truck stop or letting trucks park free anywhere overnight, which made the job suck even more.

Without any foreigners the companies would have to raise wages, and local towns and councils would have to find places where truckers could sleep for the night or they'd refuse to drive there.

Edited by Argus

17 hours ago, Argus said:

On the other hand, they were right. There was such a plentiful supply of poor eastern Europeans the trucking companies made the jobs so crappy no one else would take them. And all the pristine towns and cities turned up their noses at the thought of a truck stop or letting trucks park free anywhere overnight, which made the job suck even more.

Without any foreigners the companies would have to raise wages, and local towns and councils would have to find places where truckers could sleep for the night or they'd refuse to drive there.

And yet, other EU countries have good facilities for those same long distance drivers.

4 minutes ago, Aristides said:

And yet, other EU countries have good facilities for those same long distance drivers.

True. I think they have to look into who gets to decide such things. Is it a matter of national regulations or local councils who don't want big dirty trucks in their towns overnight. I don't know enough about the difference in how truckers are treated in France, Germany, Spain, etc. vs the UK.

I'm wondering if or when this may affect us. A fuel shortage shouldn't be a problem in this country but for the fact our government is trying to kill off the oil and gas industry.

Things are happening in China too.

'Forget UK fuel crisis' China energy shortage to spark 'massive global economic' impact | Science | News | Express.co.uk

25 minutes ago, ironstone said:

I'm wondering if or when this may affect us. A fuel shortage shouldn't be a problem in this country but for the fact our government is trying to kill off the oil and gas industry.

Things are happening in China too.

'Forget UK fuel crisis' China energy shortage to spark 'massive global economic' impact | Science | News | Express.co.uk

Plus china has the evergrande mess too.

Meh, f'em.  

• Charles Anthony changed the title to Gas Prices, International Markets -- What's Happening?
On 9/28/2021 at 4:53 PM, Aristides said:

But it isn't happening only in the UK.   Shortages of drivers is being cited in the USA.   We've got shortages of manpower too in some sectors.

I'm reading about some bare shelves at Target (I don't know if it's Canada or USA) at another forum.

Edited by betsy

5 hours ago, betsy said:

But it isn't happening only in the UK.   Shortages of drivers is being cited in the USA.   We've got shortages of manpower too in some sectors.

I'm reading about some bare shelves at Target (I don't know if it's Canada or USA) at another forum.

Supply chain issues. 

This has been the reality for businesses for all of 2021. 

A combination of Covid restrictions, scarcity of shipping containers, and unexpected demand despite COVID has driven the price of raw materials through the roof. 

That combined with a reckoning on wages leaves us where we are. People are going to work for slave wages in the service sector anymore. 

4 hours ago, Boges said:

Supply chain issues. 

This has been the reality for businesses for all of 2021. 

A combination of Covid restrictions, scarcity of shipping containers, and unexpected demand despite COVID has driven the price of raw materials through the roof. 

What covid restrictions would still affect that today?

4 hours ago, Boges said:

That combined with a reckoning on wages leaves us where we are. People are going to work for slave wages in the service sector anymore. 

So....they'd rather be unemployed?   At a time when prices are going through the roof?  They're still collecting CERB?

Just now, betsy said:

What covid restrictions would still affect that today?

I read on CNN about Ship workers moving through borders. Workers having to get multiple different vaccines to comply with the country they're in or being tested constantly.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/29/business/supply-chain-workers/index.html

Travelling abroad is still no treat. 

So....they'd rather be unemployed?   At a time when prices are going through the roof?  They're still collecting CERB?

At least it's a reliable cheque. In some of these service sector industries, that can't be guaranteed, especially during COVID. 

I don't think people should be allowed to collect CERB anymore. But there are still industries that are struggling. 

1 hour ago, Boges said:

At least it's a reliable cheque. In some of these service sector industries, that can't be guaranteed, especially during COVID. 

I don't think people should be allowed to collect CERB anymore. But there are still industries that are struggling. 

So there are still those who get CERB.

We are having trouble getting people to work in USA side, lost one staff member last month who went to work as local truck driver....at $50 US/hr plus bennies.  Local restaurants (WY) having to pay over $15 US/hr. for help.  Virtually every business there has Help Wanted signs posted all over the place.   A bit better here in SK, but still not an easy thing to get workers and the prices are exceedingly high.

Our UK partners tell a different story.  Yes, truck drivers from EU not there, but worse than that, vegetable crops all rotting in the field because nobody in UK will get off their arse and pick them.  Lost some key people to higher $$ offers - CEO of that company on the shop floor running machines for last couple months.  This all reminds me of the movie where the illegals didn't come to work in Kalifornication and the economy crashed.

How frustrating is it to hear about natural gas prices skyrocketing, shortages in Europe, other countries like Australia and the US and Russia making a fortune, and us still without any ability to export. The only LNG export terminal we even have under construction is years away from completion. This is bad planning by both government and industry.

• Like 1

Lee Valley Tools is having a supply problem, 

Not looking good all the way round for the winter and purchasing goods.

ca.news.yahoo.com/lee-valley-warns-customers-delays-133836557.html
Canadian retailer Lee Valley Tools has a bleak warning for anyone looking to get their hands on high-end garden shears, brass escutcheons or crokinole boards any time soon: good luck.

• Like 1