The so-called freedom of speech and rule of law

xul

Under the CTV news:

I wrote the comment as a reply to someone's comment "These folks are always going places they shouldn't and then expecting their country to bail them out of their deliberate mess."

I believed his meant for Michaels, so I replied his post to explain my understanding why they were in China:

According to Wiki: "Michael Peter Todd Spavor is a Canadian consultant who has worked extensively in North Korea. He is director of Paektu Cultural Exchange, an organization that promotes investment and tourism in North Korea."

Please think: Do you really believe there is any true Canadian business man but spy who used to live in China near N.K border and his business is to promote tourism for North Korea?

There are tens thousands of Canadians live or work in China, as true businessmen, or employees of the Chinese branches of Canadian companies or hired by Chinese employers (like English or French teachers). If China did arrest innocent Canadian randomly, would it be odd that Canadian government didn't evacuate these Canadians from China in the first place?

Had you ever think why two Michaels were released just a few hours after Meng was released? Obviously there was an arrangement between US, Canada and China governments prior to Meng's release. But wait a minute: If Canada and US are truly the countries ruled by law, how could Canadian and American governments be so sure that both US and Canadian judges/courts would release her so they could make the arrangement with China prior to her release? If the legal system were truly independent in Canada and US, how could the governments of these two countries use Meng's release as the leverage to negotiate with China for Michaels' release?

If anybody wants to live in a country which is truly ruled by law, he should look for a country in which police, judges and politicians are all robots which are programmed with laws. But even if he could find a place like that, the result would still be uncertain since the control programs of these robots were written by men, which means there might be some bugs and backdoors inside these robots.

But my comment disappeared within a minute. I though I might click a wrong button, so I posted it again, and it disappeared again. So I'm sure it wasn't technical.

This isn't the first time my comment disappeared under Canadian media's news page. I remember last time my comment was just pure scientific, saying the long term side effects of RNA vaccines were unknown since they were latest technologies which had never been used before.

How could someone call these freedom of speech if Geobbels kinds always delete arguments not in favor of their agenda, or in most cases, the comment sections are turned off so readers have no way to comment at all? ??

As for rule of law, my argument is in the quotation. And the incident itself has proven that there even isn't rule at all.?

5 minutes ago, xul said:

How could someone call these freedom of speech

Freedom of speech means that if you criticize government, they don't fine you or imprison you.  It also means the Government can't penalize you for anything you say or post, unless it is incitement to violence or hate speech.  

Private companies, like Global, have no obligation to accept what you, or anyone else, posts on their site.  They have the right to reject what you say, just as you have to say it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

23 hours ago, xul said:

Under the CTV news:

I wrote the comment as a reply to someone's comment "These folks are always going places they shouldn't and then expecting their country to bail them out of their deliberate mess."

I believed his meant for Michaels, so I replied his post to explain my understanding why they were in China:

But my comment disappeared within a minute. I though I might click a wrong button, so I posted it again, and it disappeared again. So I'm sure it wasn't technical.

This isn't the first time my comment disappeared under Canadian media's news page. I remember last time my comment was just pure scientific, saying the long term side effects of RNA vaccines were unknown since they were latest technologies which had never been used before.

How could someone call these freedom of speech if Geobbels kinds always delete arguments not in favor of their agenda, or in most cases, the comment sections are turned off so readers have no way to comment at all? ??

As for rule of law, my argument is in the quotation. And the incident itself has proven that there even isn't rule at all.?

Xul, are you a Canadian?  In Canada?

Had you ever think why two Michaels were released just a few hours after Meng was released? Obviously there was an arrangement between US, Canada and China governments prior to Meng's release. But wait a minute: If Canada and US are truly the countries ruled by law, how could Canadian and American governments be so sure that both US and Canadian judges/courts would release her so they could make the arrangement with China prior to her release? If the legal system were truly independent in Canada and US, how could the governments of these two countries use Meng's release as the leverage to negotiate with China for Michaels' release?

It does smell a little fishy , it has taken our courts 3 years to get this far just to determine if we could ship her to the US ,and now suddenly all 3 sides have come to an agreement politically  and like you said all the courts have suddenly came to the same choice....how could everything be settled in 1 day or a few days But it would not be the only time this government has influenced the courts. Of course i think I'm giving Justin to much credit i don't think Canada played much of a role here. 

On 9/25/2021 at 6:48 PM, dialamah said:

Freedom of speech means that if you criticize government, they don't fine you or imprison you.  It also means the Government can't penalize you for anything you say or post, unless it is incitement to violence or hate speech.  

Private companies, like Global, have no obligation to accept what you, or anyone else, posts on their site.  They have the right to reject what you say, just as you have to say it.

Hitler was so stupid that he didn't make Propaganda Ministry a private company and Goebbels its CEO....?

On 9/26/2021 at 8:56 PM, Army Guy said:

It does smell a little fishy , it has taken our courts 3 years to get this far just to determine if we could ship her to the US ,and now suddenly all 3 sides have come to an agreement politically  and like you said all the courts have suddenly came to the same choice....how could everything be settled in 1 day or a few days But it would not be the only time this government has influenced the courts. Of course i think I'm giving Justin to much credit i don't think Canada played much of a role here. 

The timing is in favor of Trudeau. If the event happened before the federal election, it would give opposite parties lots of ammunition to attack him. Besides, Canada can't hold Meng forever if Canada still wants to play the rule of law stuff. Once Meng was handed over to US or released to China according laws, Canada would lose its leverage aka hostage? for negotiation with China on release of Michaels.

Of course Biden also has strong motivation to solve the problem. Obviously Trump's trade war against China has bogged down like the German offensive to capture Stalingrad in October 1942 so Biden may want to find a way out before anything worse happens. And Uncle Sam also has little financial problem which needs someone to buy more US treasury bonds.....

Edited by xul

7 minutes ago, RedDog said:

Well, as displayed this very day, there’s no free speech at this site as per attempted topic discussion of our next $10.5 M hero to celebrate in central CanaDUH. It’s all about the “cultural mosaic”.

This forum censors very little, if anything, but you have to follow the rules.  Don't blame others for your shortcomings.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Aristides said:

Canada was handcuffed unless the US either dropped the extradition request or made a plea agreement with Meng, which is what happened. The Micheals were obviously part of an agreement between the US and China. Meng gets a slap on the wrist and the Micheals come home.

So it is all politics, and has nothing to do with the rule of law we as a nation pride ourselves as following. It is why we held her in the first police right, rule of law ! or was it we were playing a political game all along... the optics are not very good here. 

34 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

So it is all politics, and has nothing to do with the rule of law we as a nation pride ourselves as following. It is why we held her in the first police right, rule of law ! or was it we were playing a political game all along... the optics are not very good here. 

Canada followed the rules by following the extradition process.  Once the US made the plea deal, no extradition necessary.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Army Guy said:

It may have been politics for the US but Canada was abiding by a treaty and it cost us a lot to follow the law.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Aristides said:

It may have been politics for the US but Canada was abiding by a treaty and it cost us a lot to follow the law.

Sorry I'm have a problem believing any of it. Canada spent over 3 years just to determine if Canada had the same types of laws that the US had charged her with... and then over night it's done, go home... would you not ask why our justice system took so long to make a lawful decision, or was it all a rouse and we were holding her because that was exactly what the US to do " politically"  it had nothing to do with the law, that was an excuse ,and we are as guilty for playing the same game.. maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but i would not put it past the Trudeau Government to do exactly that. 

On 9/25/2021 at 3:35 PM, xul said:

Under the CTV news:

IMO that was a really worthwhile post by any standard, which shouldn't have been deleted if there's any point at all of having a comments section. 

Maybe you're blocked because of things that you posted previously? 

If I'm being honest, that was miles above you normally write. 

On 9/25/2021 at 3:48 PM, dialamah said:

Right, but government needs to be broadly defined.  I believe you be able to criticize all government agents, including figures in the legal system without penalties.  This could include heads of various agencies, for example the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal. Also while you have no right to say what you want in my private home, there is an expected freedom that we can criticize other citizens with limited sanctions against that.  It is well known for instance the bar is ridiculously low in England and Canada for libel.  For instance you can lose a lawsuit if say you called someone a "Nazi" which is ridiculous.  It's obviously subjective.

Interesting though this poll that Canada is now only 45%.  But I have a problem with groups who do multi country polls like this.  Often they have no real world knowledge of the countries in question so can't look very deep into what that country is REALLY like.  Like those polls that rank the best places on earth to live, ect.  For instance talking to Chinese students they think their life in China is great and they enjoy lots of freedom.  That might be captured by a pollster. But when these same students end up seeing what life is like in the West they realize how much freer things are.  

But I suppose when you have Globe and Mail columnists shilling for the Taliban ect, I can see why there is low trust in Canadian media.