Liberal-Conservative Parliamentary Co-operation?

While the consensus is that Trudeau and Singh will be working together, in the next Parliament after this election, I am not so sure.

After this election, I am quite seriously thinking the Liberals and Conservatives might choose to co-operate in Parliament, rather than Liberals form a formal coalition or long-term co-operation with the NDP and/or Bloc.

I am thinking of the following points:

• The Liberals chose to have an election rather than to continue to make deals with the NDP and Bloc; Parliament is now not much changed
  • The Liberals have continued to move more and more from the left to the centre throughout their previous mandate; examples are stance on pipelines, willingness to bail out and subsidize businesses during pandemic and unwillingness to adopt NDP-inspired tax reforms
  • The Conservatives have continued to move more and more from the right to the centre throughout the election campaign; examples are stance on gun control, acknowledging the need to address climate change and encouraging vaccinations
  • The Conservatives would not likely start moving further to the right as further-right voters such as those who voted Libertarian or Peoples' Party are too small of a voting bloc to be worth chasing after, as opposed to the more centre voters Conservatives need to win and would lose by moving right
  • Trudeau might not be especially picky in terms of who he co-operates with in Parliament this mandate as he seems to imply another election in another 18 months or so is likely
  • Trudeau is unlikely to co-operate on many issues long-term with the Bloc as they are his main rival in Quebec
  • Trudeau is unlikely to co-operate on many issues long-term with the NDP as they are his main rival on the left
  • The Green Party was no longer a political force in this election; Green voters are winnable by Liberals; Greens have no power in parliament; Conservative co-operation therefore may have become a negligible threat to Green-turned-Liberal voters, especially as the Conservatives have acknowledged the need to address climate change
  • A Liberal-Conservative co-operation (most basically meaning no voting YES to any non-confidence motions) would ensure that Parliament lasts longer than it would under any other arrangement
Edited by 500channelsurfer
spelling
  • Like 1

• 500channelsurfer changed the title to Liberal-Conservative Parliamentary Co-operation?

Good analysis. I don't think it will happen, but the idea has real merit. The actual CPC base is the moderate conservatives and a growing number of returning Red Tories. American style republicans are becoming more of a drag than a propellant for the party. I am hoping Mr. O'Toole is a sign of a return of the Progressive Conservative party. My only reason for not supporting him this time was the Northern Gateway idea.

On 9/24/2021 at 7:35 PM, 500channelsurfer said:

I think the Conservative base would appreciate passing what legislation Conservatives have in common with Liberals, much as the Liberal base would appreciate passing what legislation Liberals have in common with Conservatives, instead of causing another premature election.

What kinds of legislation do you think the Libs and Cons would both be in favour of?

2 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Anything they or the other party passes but with minor cosmetic changes, of course.

Free Trade, GST, Pacific Trade,  ... I stopped paying attention...

Don’t we already have those things?  I was thinking of future legislation, not legislation that has already been passed for the last 25 years.  I don’t think we need another GST…

On 9/24/2021 at 11:35 PM, 500channelsurfer said:

I think the Conservative base would appreciate passing what legislation Conservatives have in common with Liberals, much as the Liberal base would appreciate passing what legislation Liberals have in common with Conservatives, instead of causing another premature election.

It is not going to happen, maybe in a rare case.. and if it does you'll find more PPC voters, we already have 3 left sided parties we don't need any more, Besides they already have the NDP to give them a majority, they don't need the conservatives.... you want that kind of cooperation we would need to go back to proportional representation, like justin said he was going to bring in, CBC did a study which gave the liberals 105 seats same as the conservatives, NDP had 60 plus, block losat a few seats even the green and PPC parties won seats i think 10 green and 26 PPC. It would be almost imposable to win a majority and force parties to cooperate listen and debate more...maybe we could make a new word up for it "cooperation", nah i think we already have it..

1 hour ago, TreeBeard said:

Don’t we already have those things?  I was thinking of future legislation, not legislation that has already been passed for the last 25 years.  I don’t think we need another GST…

FTA passed by Mulroney, opposed by the Liberals, who expanded into NAFTA
GST passed by Mulroney, which the Liberals vowed to eliminated, instead expanded into HST
Pacific Trade - pursued and criticized by all of them somehow

6 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

FTA passed by Mulroney, opposed by the Liberals, who expanded into NAFTA
GST passed by Mulroney, which the Liberals vowed to eliminated, instead expanded into HST
Pacific Trade - pursued and criticized by all of them somehow

So you’re pointing out that there isn’t really substantial differences between the two parties?

58 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

So you’re pointing out that there isn’t really substantial differences between the two parties?

results?img=1&words=1-75&title=&col_1=B&

And German's Centre-Right party is LEFT of the NDP.  Merkel supported free University Tuition.  Dental care is paid out of government insurance.  etc.

Makes the whole game look a little flat.

18 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

results?img=1&words=1-75&title=&col_1=B&

And German's Centre-Right party is LEFT of the NDP.  Merkel supported free University Tuition.  Dental care is paid out of government insurance.  etc.

Makes the whole game look a little flat.

I’d be interested to hear @Army Guy ‘s response to your contention that there are no substantive differences between Lib and Con.

3 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

I’d be interested to hear @Army Guy ‘s response to your contention that there are no substantive differences between Lib and Con.

there is no substantive differences between the two

Conservatives are simply the Blue Liberals

Liberals are the Red Liberals

superficial things like gang colors are the biggest difference

Edited by Yzermandius19

12 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

This election there was little difference in the political sides, as one party was fishing for left votes and was willing to compromise traditional right thinking and values. Not everyone on the right is happy about the change in direction, that being said if your trying to convince me that this is always been a thing I'd say you'd be wrong. There are sharp differences or used to be.. Each nation has a different outlook on what they consider left and right apples and oranges, traditional in Canada there has been a huge difference in how they think and act. But hey your free to vote conservative next election since they are basically the same or so the saying goes.