Why Canadians re-elected a Liberal government?

Why Liberals were reelected: the Moderate vote goes for the Liberals in urban areas, and people over 65 voted massively for them.

I find this forum to also show the Conservatives as being well represented: they are out of their minds when it comes to Trudeau's reign, and sound foolish criticizing it like they do so. When you hear a Tory speak about the fact that Liberals are holding power, it is like the end of the world is coming. They can not pinpoint where exactly is the downfall of our civilization, but they say it's happening. This kind of mentality crystallized the electorate rather than convince.

Edited by QuebecOverCanada
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Oh come on, they didn't even do that for the robocall scandal...

There was actually a pretty big investigation into the robocall affair at that time. I remember virtually every day when I opened the Ottawa Citizen there it was, on the front page day after day for a very long time. I imagine it was the same for all the other big newspapers across the country. After all that constant coverage and investigation by reporters and Elections Canada, the evidence was not sufficient to provide reasonable grounds that an offense was committed. At the end of the day just one low level staffer was found guilty of one violation of the Elections Act. A dirty, underhanded thing to be sure, but only one person charged.

I've said it before on here, the what isn't all that important, who(does it involve someone from the political left or right?) it concerns will determine how much time the story spends in the news cycle.

Justin Trudeau is the perfect example with the blackface past and his problem with ethics violations. A conservative politician wouldn't be able to survive that, the media would be in constant attack mode.

In other news, SNC Lavalin is making headlines again.

BREAKING: RCMP charge SNC-Lavalin and two former executives with fraud, forgery, conspiracy | The Post Millennial

The timing of the charges is convenient, right after the election is over.

1 hour ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

1. When you hear a Tory speak about the fact that Liberals are holding power, it is like the end of the world is coming.  

1. Sure, but if we had more liberals on here you would have heard the screams, as I did, when he was PM.  He was going to ban abortion etc etc.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

If proven he should be charged and his election reversed.

I think the fact that there is actual video and his team is not denying it is pretty solid proof. His excuse for doing it is pretty lame as well.

If I had to bet on how this turns out, likely nothing more than a gentle slap on the wrist...behind closed doors. And it will quickly vanish from the news cycle. He won't be treated like Conservative Dean Del Mastro who overspent on his election campaign and tried to cover it up. The image of him in shackles was displayed prominently by the media.

And it's highly unlikely George Chahal only did this on one person's doorstep and no others.

It seems that those who voted for the Liberals did not do so because they like the Liberal stance on law and order. Or perhaps they did now that I think about it.?

Former Liberal MP to serve no jail time for stalking, assaulting his ex and her new boyfriend | The Post Millennial

Nothing serious about that crime is there?

Doug Ford bashes justice system after man accused of killing Toronto police officer granted bail | National Post

This guy is charged with killing a cop by running him over, pretty horrific as are all murders. The rights of the accused come first never mind the victim. This is a pretty Liberal justice system.

28 minutes ago, ironstone said:

I think the fact that there is actual video and his team is not denying it is pretty solid proof. His excuse for doing it is pretty lame as well.

If I had to bet on how this turns out, likely nothing more than a gentle slap on the wrist...behind closed doors. And it will quickly vanish from the news cycle. He won't be treated like Conservative Dean Del Mastro who overspent on his election campaign and tried to cover it up. The image of him in shackles was displayed prominently by the media.

And it's highly unlikely George Chahal only did this on one person's doorstep and no others.

If I remember correctly a municipal worker who removed Liberal campaign signs during election campaign was both dismissed and charge. Same must have to this guy. He must be dismissed and charged or this is a corrupt government or party.

24 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

If I remember correctly a municipal worker who removed Liberal campaign signs during election campaign was both dismissed and charge. Same must have to this guy. He must be dismissed and charged or this is a corrupt government or party.

It's pretty low when people working for any political party start interfering with the campaign of their rivals. They should be punished accordingly as well. I may end up being surprised if George Chahal faces actually faces serious consequences for his actions but I think that because of his political affiliation it's more likely he won't.

7 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Sure, you and I are ignorant of it…  But I thought the poster might have some secret knowledge that you and I do not.  

Maybe there are secret tribunals in Canada that are locking up Christians who say this about gay folks?  Something like that…. 

We do have to be very careful not to offend certain identifiable groups here in Canada like the lgbtq etc etc or Muslims.

26 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

If you weren’t bound by these draconian laws, what would you be doing about the LGBTQs, etc, etc and Muslims?

I'm going to guess what the answer will (or would be):

1.  Send all Muslims back from whence they came; if born here, send them to their parent's/grandparent's/great grandparent's home land.

2.  Forbid LGBTQ from ever pointing out the social (and sometimes systemic) disadvantages under which they live and disallow any effort by them to request any kind of recognition by government or society; disallow any trans-sexual surgery; continue to insist that everyone is either male or female,  ignoring historical and current evidence to the contrary.

Added for good measure:

3.  If anyone should criticize the dominant culture, they must be cancelled immediately.

25 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

If you weren’t bound by these draconian laws, what would you be doing about the LGBTQs, etc, etc and Muslims?

Nothing.

I happen to believe in free speech and the live and let live principle, as long as it doesn't infringe upon my own rights or those of anyone else. Canada is not like Saudi Arabia or Iran(lgbtq/Islam like oil and water). This constant victimhood thing has gone on too long in western society.

9 minutes ago, ironstone said:

Nothing.

I happen to believe in free speech and the live and let live principle, as long as it doesn't infringe upon my own rights or those of anyone else. Canada is not like Saudi Arabia or Iran(lgbtq/Islam like oil and water). This constant victimhood thing has gone on too long in western society.

Do you believe there should be any legal limits at all on free speech?

2 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Do you believe there should be any legal limits at all on free speech?

Of course. Along the lines of not yelling fire in a crowded theatre. Libel and slanderous statements are usually dealt with in court. I think the courts are the proper place to deal with these issues and not human rights tribunals.

2 minutes ago, ironstone said:

Of course. Along the lines of not yelling fire in a crowded theatre. Libel and slanderous statements are usually dealt with in court. I think the courts are the proper place to deal with these issues and not human rights tribunals.

So all we’re doing is arguing about where the line should be?  And who administers the line?  

Seems to me a compromise can be made.

Do the HRTs look at a lot of free speech cases?  

10 minutes ago, ironstone said:

Nothing.

What if the claim of victimhood is legit?  Consider the law in Quebec,  implemented specifically for Muslims (though hidden in the language) forbidding the wearing of religious wear in government facilities?  Or the verbal and sometimes physical harassment of Muslims just going about their every day lives?  Or the attacks on Muslim places of worship?

LGBTQ face similar problems, as do Jews.  Why do you insist that these aren't to be acknowledged or changed?

11 hours ago, betsy said:

Why?

Scare tactics work! Especially with Covid and what's happening in Alberta.

O'Toole's campaign should've been ready at every dirt thrown at them.  That should've been anticipated! They got snagged with gun issues and evasion hurts.

With a fractured Conservative Party, I think we're in for a very long, continuous Liberal rule. 

How do you think that pointing out what’s happening in Alberta is a scare tactic?  Don’t you think it’s a bit scary for Albertans who might need surgery or get in a car accident wondering if there will be a hospital bed available for them?

22 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

Can you point to any case of being charged with a hate crime for saying that homosexuality is a sin?

That is the intent of the legislation.  The Alberta Humans rights tribunal put an injunction on an AB Pastor from ever speaking about homosexuality.  Life time Ban.  It is a pseudo court but is upheld by real judges.

1 minute ago, Faramir said:

That is the intent of the legislation.  The Alberta Humans rights tribunal put an injunction on an AB Pastor from ever speaking about homosexuality.  Life time Ban.  It is a pseudo court but is upheld by real judges.

The legislation that never passed and isn’t law?

Can you provide a reference to the pastor’s case?  

10 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Of course not.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/pastor-christian-coalition-violated-human-rights-law-alberta-panel-rules-1.649452

Stephen Boisson.  It wasn't a hate crime THEN just a violation of a kangaroo court.  But shiny pony's intention is to pass that bill to make it so.  Canada the increasingly STASI state.

8 hours ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

Why Liberals were reelected: the Moderate vote goes for the Liberals in urban areas, and people over 65 voted massively for them.

I find this forum to also show the Conservatives as being well represented: they are out of their minds when it comes to Trudeau's reign, and sound foolish criticizing it like they do so. When you hear a Tory speak about the fact that Liberals are holding power, it is like the end of the world is coming. They can not pinpoint where exactly is the downfall of our civilization, but they say it's happening. This kind of mentality crystallized the electorate rather than convince.

Mr Dress up clown shoes.  He's the Hillary Clinton of Canada.

4 hours ago, dialamah said:

I'm going to guess what the answer will (or would be):

1.  Send all Muslims back from whence they came; if born here, send them to their parent's/grandparent's/great grandparent's home land.

2.  Forbid LGBTQ from ever pointing out the social (and sometimes systemic) disadvantages under which they live and disallow any effort by them to request any kind of recognition by government or society; disallow any trans-sexual surgery; continue to insist that everyone is either male or female,  ignoring historical and current evidence to the contrary.

Added for good measure:

3.  If anyone should criticize the dominant culture, they must be cancelled immediately.

I rather go back to don't ask don't tell.  I don't need perverts subjugating my children to their BS.  Sexual activity is not an identity, its just a past time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

So all we’re doing is arguing about where the line should be?  And who administers the line?  

Seems to me a compromise can be made.

Do the HRTs look at a lot of free speech cases?  

I hate that its framed as "speech".  Freedom of opinion or expression.  For THAT there should be no limit whatoever and no attempt by biased governments to decide which is or is not hate speech.