The Liberals plan to increase Canada's population to 100 million - without asking you

Argus

Other countries which care about the well-being of their citizens cut immigration during the covid mess, and as a result, have lower unemployment rates. Canada is increasing its immigration, cutting standards and requirements, all because of a plan hatched by wealthy, backroom Liberals to increase out population to 100 million. 

If you haven't heard of the plan it's because the Liberals never 'officially' adopted it. It's not something they want to debate or discuss. Some people might object, after all, for a wide variety of very god reasons. But there's big money to be made by the organizations these backroom liberals represent, so they're not taking any chances on people demanding immigration be slowed.

Few Canadians know where that 400,000 figure came from, but the background to this policy provides another example of Trudeau’s questionable policy-making. Like his pledge to plant two billion trees, this one is also thoroughly unjustified.

This immigration target arose from a 2011 weekend gathering of Liberal friends at a lavish Lake of Bays cottage in Ontario’s Muskoka region, which is owned by Dominic Barton, former head of McKinsey & Company and now Trudeau’s ambassador in China.

They called it the Century Initiative. It’s supporters include: former finance minister Bill Morneau, who resigned because of the We Charity scandal; former innovation minister Navdeep Bains, who left office after the 2020 China vaccine debacle; Mark Wiseman, the ex-Canada Pension Plan Investment Board chair who went to BlackRock and left for violating its “relationship at work” policy; and some other prominent Liberals.

The Century Initiative advocates for “policies and programs that would increase Canada’s population to 100 million by 2100,” according to its website. That would mean increasing the population of the Greater Toronto Area from 8.8 million to 33.5 million, expanding Metro Vancouver from 3.3 million to 11.9 million and cramming another 7.8 million people into the Montreal area.

https://financialpost.com/diane-francis/diane-francis-the-liberals-unsustainable-immigration-plan

11 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

and the PPC is the only party who opposes that

the CPC will simply give you more of the same

The PPC will only ensure Trudeau remains PM so he can continue raising immigration numbers for many years to come

Edited by Argus

Will the Conservatives cut down on immigration? I haven't read anywhere as they have said nothing about high levels of badly selected immigrants mostly from third world countries. At best they may not increase it further but 400,000 a year is unsustainable and may backfire. 

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

37 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

Will the Conservatives cut down on immigration? I haven't read anywhere as they have said nothing about high levels of badly selected immigrants mostly from third world countries. At best they may not increase it further but 400,000 a year is unsustainable and may backfire. 

I don't think they dare say anything which can be construed as 'anti immigration' because the instant they do the Liberals will pounce. 

My hope is that if they get elected they will order some kind of a review and clean up immigration, cut back on the number of elderly immigrants, as they did last time, and gradually lower levels. I don't know if they will or not but they can't be any worse than the Liberals.

4 hours ago, Argus said:

I don't think they dare say anything which can be construed as 'anti immigration' because the instant they do the Liberals will pounce. 

My hope is that if they get elected they will order some kind of a review and clean up immigration, cut back on the number of elderly immigrants, as they did last time, and gradually lower levels. I don't know if they will or not but they can't be any worse than the Liberals.

wishful thinking is a helluva drug

they won't dare do anything which can be construed as anti immigration after elected either, not just before

they in fact cuck harder after elected on this issue

the Conservatives past behavior in power suggests they won't dial immigration levels back at all

Harper even raised immigration levels

and O'Toole is a much bigger cuck than Harper

they won't be any better than the Liberals

all you have to suggest they will is your "hopes"

the PPC are the only party pushing to dial back on immigration, not the CPC

Edited by Yzermandius19

This is not about partisan politics but the bureaucracy that's had an almost two-century free run of managing the country free of any controls and accountability. And it has come with a simple model, that has worked till now and may work for a while longer:

1. Pay to yourself as much as you can consume and maybe a bit more, just in case

2. Keep the status quo with a bit of deterioration and at a bit higher cost to the pueblo, year on year

3. In case of any problems or crises, throw at it a lot money (out of public's pocket of course, whose else?) and/or bring in a lot of people.

So it's extreme naivite to expect that any party or election etc in this country could make any change in this pattern.

It's not hard to see why neoliberal parties would continue to increase immigration: larger domestic markets for goods and services, and the big money in building housing for newcomers. 

Congested cities and crowding in Ontario is a major concern - and it explains why the only outspoken public intellectual against raising immigration is Dr. David Suzuki.  So the implication is that lower immigration means less consumption and better for the environment.  

The thing that may help the case for immigration is remote workplace trend.  My impression is that Toronto is emptying out.  Pretty soon congestion may not be such a concern.

On 9/12/2021 at 2:32 PM, Michael Hardner said:

It's not hard to see why neoliberal parties would continue to increase immigration: larger domestic markets for goods and services, and the big money in building housing for newcomers. 

Michael, I disagree.

====

The 400,000 number comes from the 250,000 number in the 1976 Green Paper - correct me if I'm wrong.

The 100 million number? No idea but Canada is a big place.

====

The world does not lack for people; it lacks for educated people.

Canada (and America and Australia) are remarkable places to integrate/educate/civilise foreigners.

1 hour ago, August1991 said:

Scandinavia? Civilised? I was in Finland several years ago, looked around on the train, and I said to my daughter that unlike Montreal or Toronto, these Europeans have no idea how to integrate foreigners.

Norway is not part of the EU. Norwegians have their own currency.

Brexit?

see MH

wtf does that have to with his post, August1991?

do you even know what the word disagree means?

Edited by Yzermandius19

On 9/8/2021 at 10:31 PM, Argus said:

Other countries which care about the well-being of their citizens cut immigration during the covid mess, and as a result, have lower unemployment rates. Canada is increasing its immigration, cutting standards and requirements, all because of a plan hatched by wealthy, backroom Liberals to increase out population to 100 million.

Argus,

Look at the credits of any movie. The names. The family names: the Foley artists, the sound engineers, costumers. The drivers. I always look at the family names of drivers. How many were there?

This is the future.

Edited by August1991

1 hour ago, August1991 said:

"You Canadians somehow make everyone get along."

Because we act like we're Americans and pretend we're not.  Canada is the Hegelian synthesis of the American melting pot, and the unachievable ideal of multicultural peace.

We pretend to be different, but we're just doing the melting pot as it was envisioned to work.  That's all.

It will continue as long as the economy holds on, then watch out.

On 9/14/2021 at 4:05 AM, August1991 said:

I'm surrounded by idiots.

Link

Canada is a big country, we have lots of space.

The Quebec government has cut back on immigration and instituted various measures, including a values test for prospective immigrants. Do you agree with their actions?

And no, Canada isn't a big country. Almost all immigrants go to six cities in the south, 75% of immigrants wind up in Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver. Don't count hundreds of thousands of square miles of frozen tundra and tell me we've got lots of room. 

Edited by Argus

On 9/14/2021 at 6:07 AM, Michael Hardner said:

Because we act like we're Americans and pretend we're not.  Canada is the Hegelian synthesis of the American melting pot, and the unachievable ideal of multicultural peace.

We pretend to be different, but we're just doing the melting pot as it was envisioned to work.  That's all.

It will continue as long as the economy holds on, then watch out.

Canada, like Norway, is cold for half the year.

Florida is warm and it never rains in southern California. Or some girl told me. 

Edited by August1991
  • Like 1