Democracy in danger in Canada.

On 9/7/2021 at 6:16 PM, CITIZEN_2015 said:

The kind of scenes we witnessed over the past few days is very alarming as it is a danger to our democracy. There are widespread reports of groups of apparently anti-vaxer mob harassing health care workers, at least one health care worker being assaulted, surrounding hospitals and blocking access to sick people to get medical care.

At other protest gatherings some wearing PPC (People's Party of Canada) T shirts disrupting election rallies by Liberal leader, Justin Trudeau,  our elected Prime Minister....

In democracies, people vote by Team.

In the past, Canadians voted by religion, language: these were the Teams.

Nowadays, many Canadians vote by religion, urban/rural Teams.

====

Unlike America, Canada is a Catholic country.

In Canada, our first Catholic federal PM was a Conservative (Thompson) elected in the 1890s. We have had many Catholics since (Clark, Turner, Mulroney) - indeed we had our first minority language PM (Laurier) in 1896.

The first US federal president Catholic (JFK) was in 1960.  Its first minority president (Obama) was in 2008.

====

Why did white people vote for Obama in 2008?

Well. why did Protestants vote for Laurier in 1896? Such is Canada.

=====

I have several measures of a civilized society, here are three:

1. Does a minority vote for a majority candidate when a minority is on the ballot. (A black/Catholic votes for Bush when a Trudeau/Obama is on the ballot.) Many Canadians have done this, for over a century or two. In 2016, for example, many people in Quebec voted for the WASP Harper rather than the Catholic Trudeau.

2. Do people "voluntarily" pay their taxes? (Rather than voter turn-out, I look at tax returns. In Canada, about 100% of the over-16 population file.)

3. Do streets have walls? (In civilised societies, houses may have fences - but they don't have walls.) In fucked-up countries/societies, if you walk down a street, all you see is a wall.

Edited by August1991
  • Like 1

And so, we are promised "a break of a great new dawn for Canada" and criminal offenses for protests. Just like in the good old book and song. And I was wondering how it happened before but looks like, just like that matter-of-factly, almost boringly. Now I'm curious how it will look comes Monday, a good and honest mirror. What could one get for a good two hundred year slumber of citizen involvement and responsibility, just don't fix it?

The protester shouted obscenity at Canada's elected Prime Minister. 

The footage, shot by Global News, shows the protester standing on the other side of a parking lot launching insults and calling on the leader to fight him 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2281141

If this is democracy in which elected politicians to be insulted, harassed or assaulted by gravel, health care workers harassed and intimidated and sick patients being harassed and their access to care blocked as all news media and politicians including O'Toole are reporting then I want none of this democracy. Those who insult, attack, harass politicians and health care workers and block access to patients must be arrested and charged. I don't know if we need new laws as Trudeau promised if elected or existing law can deal with these anarchists.

Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau says a protester who used a sexist term to describe his wife on Monday crossed a line, which compelled him to respond.

“I think Canadians know that I have pretty thick skin, and I’m able to take all sorts of different abuse,” he said, while taking questions in Richmond, B.C. on Tuesday.

“But he went after my family. He said hateful and misogynistic things about my wife.

There is no excuse whatsoever for such behavior. In my view, anyone who insults or assaults a woman for no reason is a deserved asshole hooligan who belongs to a correction institution where he can be thought some manners by other inmates or guards.

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

These protesters play right into Justin's new dawn of benevolent dictatorship in perpetuity. Really it looks more and more as a dead end, with no direction of a positive change remains even theoretically possible. How could two centuries of "just don't fix it" end any different though?

On 9/14/2021 at 5:34 AM, Yzermandius19 said:

the politicians don't run Canada

the bureaucrats run Canada

the politicians simply do their bidding

and if they don't

the bureaucrats just disregard them

Maybe in the US.

But not in Canada.

=====

Canada is like California. Moreover, in Canada we have 10 provinces and 3 territories.

Anyway, I reckon that California should be divided into smaller provinces - like Canada.

===

Now Ottawa? I agree. What do you do with Sacramento?

===

Or heavens, imagine a concentration of control/power in a place like Washington or Beijing?

Edited by August1991

On 9/19/2021 at 4:31 AM, Yzermandius19 said:

they are doing a terrible job governing the country

Yzermandius,

For many reasons, I favour a federal system.

In America-speak, I favour states-right.

In Russia-speak, I was upset when Putin decided that he would name the 89 governors.

====

PEI is about 110,000 people. They have four federal seats.

All things considered, I suspect that the people of PEI keep a sharp on their municipal bureaucrats, their provincial bureaucrats and their federal bureaucrats.

The riding of Toronto-Centre has about 105,000 people.

Too busy with their own lives, these people have no idea what their municipal politicians are doing - let alone any bureaucrats.

Edited by August1991