Trump's Deal with the Taliban & the US Withdrawal From Afghanistan

August1991

19 hours ago, August1991 said:

Let's be honest. No Minister can be at every meeting. Ministers send trusted assistants. And these "assistants" are young women/men who lose their job when the minister loses their job.

To follow up my post above, I recall another meeting where one of these "special assistants" simple said: "When I speak, the Minister speaks... "

=====

I think that it's a good system. Democracy in action.

No ministers send their second in commands to meetings when they can not attend and decision have to be made.. or they wait until the minister can reply via e mail or other media systems. ... If I was a senior government employee and some 25 year old said when i speak the minister speaks i think i would have shut it down, went into lala land... and if i had anything that required higher approval i would approach the minister himself later....bypassing the 25 year old altogether ... you see it as a great day for democracy... i see it as someone failing to do the job correctly... there is a reason you don't see 25 years olds running the country...or in high positions of power, unless they own the company...or dad does...

18 hours ago, August1991 said:

You mean drop the bomb?

----

I once had an argument with a rich, very smart friend in Barcelona - very anti-American - on this point. Losing the argument, I resorted to the point that "the West is stronger".

-----

Call me naive but I think that we in the West, America, will prevail because our Enlightenment values are the future.

The 1941-1945 war between Germany and Russia was one thing.

But the wars between 1914-1945 are something else. 

The US has almost every superior wpn system in the world, it does not have to drop THE BOMB, it can be done by drone, of stealth bomber, or simply by landing troops on some beach...In those cases the west is stronger, by miles...and they are not afraid of worlds opinion and will use it when it benefits them...

If we were so enlighten we would simply close our borders and let the outside world tear itself apart...and pick up the pieces later... enlightened values you mean like pull out of Afghanistan, Iraq, or the values we have as a G-8 nation but in most cases refuse to help because it is not important enough... or the values that have left groups of our vets battling the courts to receive benefits most Canadians already have...i won't mention the values that have left Native Americans treated like 3 rd class citizens...yes because our values have lead to this perfect nation we have developed, the same one Justin has made a career of apologizing for.. 

5 hours ago, Army Guy said:

The US has almost every superior wpn system in the world, it does not have to drop THE BOMB, it can be done by drone, of stealth bomber, or simply by landing troops on some beach...In those cases the west is stronger, by miles...and they are not afraid of worlds opinion and will use it when it benefits them...

And yet... small bands of rag-tag soldiers with bent kalishnikov's appear to have defeated the most technologically superior army in the world. I wonder, why izzit?

Or could it be that it's not the machine, but the man in the machine.

It's like the beautiful white German lads, all of them young and idealistic, but not war hardened. They were born in nice German houses and slept on clean white sheets. While the Russians slept on beds of straw, for example. They had bedbugs real bad, too.

For you see, a civilization is measured by the distance it keeps from its own excreta

And war is a sudden loss of civility. It means there wasn't much difference to the Russian bear, it was used to having crap on it's butt, anyway. And that brings us to the Taliban... they can endure the same war over their own heads for 4 decades. Two superpowers in succession. And they couldn't go home on no leave to visit meemaw and peepaw, you get that? Afghanistan is their home.

If you can't somehow admire that, well, go cry in yer '50 as the old man used to say.

Not you, Army Guy, you seem to have a good head on your shoulders.