Trump's Deal with the Taliban & the US Withdrawal From Afghanistan

August1991

In early 2020, Donald Trump reached an agreement with the Taliban. As the BBC described it at the time:

Mr Trump said 5,000 US troops would leave Afghanistan by May and he would meet Taliban leaders in the near future, without specifying where.

The US and Nato allies have agreed to withdraw all troops within 14 months if the militants uphold the historic deal.

Talks between the Afghan government and the Taliban are due to follow.

Under the agreement, the militants also agreed not to allow al-Qaeda or any other extremist group to operate in the areas they control.

We will see what happens in the future but quite frankly, I think the Taliban will respect Trump's deal.

======

Unlike the Soviet Union, or Hitler and the Nazis, the Taliban in Afghanistan do not represent an existential threat to the West - as long as they do not provide a place for others. 

1 hour ago, August1991 said:

quite frankly, I think the Taliban will respect Trump's deal.

Why? Trump is gone. What did Trump offer the Taliban in return? A meeting.

Are they going to have a meeting with Trump now? How about a meeting with Joe Biden, do you think that is reasonable?

Of course the Taliban are not going to reach out and try to take over the world, but they are going to take over Afghanistan.

Why?

Because they can...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Why? Trump is gone. What did Trump offer the Taliban in return? A meeting....

I have no idea what terms/agreement Trump negotiated with the Taliban.

But I suspect that the Taliban will respect their agreement.

=====

I'm reminded of a Trump clip in 2017 or so in the Oval Office. He pointed at a table and said, "Negotiating with Congress is like negotiating with that table." 

1 hour ago, August1991 said:

I have no idea what terms/agreement Trump negotiated with the Taliban.

But I suspect that the Taliban will respect their agreement.

=====

I'm reminded of a Trump clip in 2017 or so in the Oval Office. He pointed at a table and said, "Negotiating with Congress is like negotiating with that table." 

From what I've read of Trump he doesn't know HOW to negotiate. His business life was one of bribery and blackmail. If he couldn't bully you or twist your arm in some way, like refusing to pay his bills unless you gave him a bigger discount, then he had nothing else left. Negotiation requires empathy, the ability to see the other side's point of view in order to guess how they would respond to a prospective deal. Trump is a sociopath and wouldn't have any such ability. Small wonder he couldn't negotiate with congress. He couldn't threaten or bribe them. That left him bewildered and sullen.

On 8/11/2021 at 7:34 PM, August1991 said:

In early 2020, Donald Trump reached an agreement with the Taliban. As the BBC described it at the time:

We will see what happens in the future but quite frankly, I think the Taliban will respect Trump's deal.

======

Unlike the Soviet Union, or Hitler and the Nazis, the Taliban in Afghanistan do not represent an existential threat to the West - as long as they do not provide a place for others. 

It is not all about the West. They pose existential threat to the people of Afghanistan. 

Edited by CITIZEN_2015
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Argus said:

From what I've read of Trump he doesn't know HOW to negotiate. His business life was one of bribery and blackmail. If he couldn't bully you or twist your arm in some way, like refusing to pay his bills unless you gave him a bigger discount, then he had nothing else left. Negotiation requires empathy, the ability to see the other side's point of view in order to guess how they would respond to a prospective deal. Trump is a sociopath and wouldn't have any such ability. Small wonder he couldn't negotiate with congress. He couldn't threaten or bribe them. That left him bewildered and sullen.

Trump was a Brooklyn real estate developer.

Argus, he knew "empathy" very well.

=====

In Wall Street, big swinging dicks are measured by the size of the deal.

In Hollywood, big swinging dicks are measured by the fame of the woman.

In Washington, big swinging dicks are measured by votes.

As they say. Washington is Hollywood for ugly people. 

FILKINS: The deal itself is simple, but it kind of sets off this cascade of other things which are not so simple. But the deal basically says the Taliban won't kill any Americans, and we won't attack the Taliban. And if all goes well and the Taliban agree not to support any kind of terrorism against the United States or not to allow terrorists in the country or any kind of bases, the United States will leave and go to zero and take out all of its forces by May 1.

NPR

12 hours ago, August1991 said:

NPR

HR McMaster was on the BBC this morning talking about the deal. He called it the 'capitulation deal' whereby the US surrendered and begged the Taliban to leave them alone. He also says the Afghani fight was easily manageable for the US, who only had about 7k troops there last year. He went on to say the war there was between civilization and barbarity, and that everyone had an interest in seeing the barbarians held back.

On 8/12/2021 at 1:28 PM, Argus said:

HR McMaster was on the BBC this morning talking about the deal. ...

BBC... (sigh)

Argus,

The deal was that the US wld not bother the Taliban - and the Taliban wld not harbour any wackos to threaten America.

This deal shld have been negotiated in the early 2000s.

It took Trump to do it.

=====

The Taliban are no threat to America. Even Obama called them the JV.

Unlike the USSR and its nuclear weapons, Islam is no threat to America - unless America allows it.

Edited by Charles Anthony
removed mal-formed quotes

The entire body of Islam is a threat to the west, and vice versa if you think some words on paper are going to change that, your wrong. And the Taliban are part of that. And it is not them who are going to suffer it is the people of Afghanistan that is going to pay.. big time with blood and death...

The world does not care what is about to happen in Afghanistan, they already have that t shirt... 

5 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

No, you are.  If it were a threat we wouldn't be leaving there.  Afghanistan is its own thing.

I'm the threat, how so ?, you make it sound like we finished the job we started, and the threat is no longer there. We left because we failed to complete the job, and the civilian population lost interest in anything Afghanistan. Like now the governments failure to act and evac interrupters shows just how interested we are in people who help us during the conflict. And not a peep out of people either. Shows a lot of character does it not...Today they are yesterdays dirty laundry, next week they will be dead and out of the media eyes. And somehow I am the threat... Great people these Canadians just don't trust them to keep there word, greatest country in the world my ass...

7 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

No, you are.  If it were a threat we wouldn't be leaving there.  Afghanistan is its own thing.

Yes islam is a threat to the west, and Taliban will be too. Those in power consider the west as infidels who deserve to die.

The west sometimes makes bad deals and later pays a heavy price for it. A similar example is a deal peanut brain Carter made with the Ayatolahs in 1979 for a peaceful transition from monarchy to the mullahs. At the time they were promised a  peaceful transition but later the mullahs cut off the heads of their own people and cut off the hands of the West from Iran and the region and transition was anything but peaceful bringing about the deep recession in the 80's and the bloody wars in the region for decades to follow and many westerners mainly Americans dead as a result.

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

17 hours ago, cannuck said:

Gee, all we are missing is pushing Hueys over the edge of carrier decks.  BIG time flashback with China replaced by Iran once more whumping US into retreat.  They need to learn when NOT to go in.

Cue the people desperately clinging to the Hueys, even while pushing them off Carrier decks. We aint seen nothin yet.

On 8/15/2021 at 2:49 PM, Army Guy said:

The entire body of Islam is a threat to the west, and vice versa....

Possibly several hundred years ago, but not now.

True, we have to teach calculus every year to several hundred million kids - but we in the West can do this.

=====

The USSR/Maoist China were serious threats to the Western world. They were as serious as Hitler's German regime.

By 1990 or so, we had defeated the Soviets and the Maoists. The Russian rouble was free floating and tourists could travel to China. Vietnam and Korea were important battles in a war that the West had won.

======

The Taliban/radical Islam are nothing like Hitler or Stalinism.

Edited by August1991
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 2:14 PM, OftenWrong said:

I recommend you never play the lottery.

How did Trump negotiate with the Taliban in Spring 2020? 

I have no idea but I suspect that Trump played the Truman card.

"You cheat? We bomb you, twice... "

Edited by August1991

On 8/15/2021 at 9:49 PM, Army Guy said:

The entire body of Islam is a threat to the west, and vice versa if you think some words on paper are going to change that, your wrong. And the Taliban are part of that. And it is not them who are going to suffer it is the people of Afghanistan that is going to pay.. big time with blood and death...

The world does not care what is about to happen in Afghanistan, they already have that t shirt... 

I guess you should have told that to the Americans before they got a notorious  Taliban leader out of a Pakistani prison. That took them years to achieve.

2 hours ago, August1991 said:

Possibly several hundred years ago, but not now.

True, we have to teach calculus every year to several hundred million kids - but we in the West can do this.

=====

The USSR/Maoist China were serious threats to the Western world. They were as serious as Hitler's German regime.

By 1990 or so, we had defeated the Soviets and the Maoists. The Russian rouble was free floating and tourists could travel to China. Vietnam and Korea were important battles in a war that the West had won.

======

The Taliban/radical Islam are nothing like Hitler or Stalinism.

Al-Qaida managed to mobilize a large portion of the US military into Afghanistan , as well as contributions from NATO, i have to ask does the US war machine do that if their is no threat... Lets not mention the Taliban kept allied forces busy for 13 plus years, and now has march back into Afghanistan, no threat again i suppose. Iran has also tied up small portions of NATO's fleet , Somalia's pirates, lets not mention the war with SA and other Muslim terrorists, not to mention Iraq gulf war and gulf war II did you guys miss all of that, lets not mention Israel being supported by the US because of the threat from who again. While the Arab population may not be the primary threat to the west, they are still on the list as threats...

If they are defeated, slayed by the mighty west as you say, why has Russia taken the Crimean off Ukraine, puting NATO troops on the borders ,why are they still on NATO threat list.... And China even the US military is shifting focus from Europe to the pacific , with a large increase of naval presence, even the Marines are shifting their internal make up because of the pacific threat coming out of china...why would they do that?

I did not say any of these threats were on the scale of Stalin or Hitler, what i said was the Arab population is a threat to the west.. and while it may not be the number one threat they are ranked in the top 5 

1 hour ago, Savannahleaf said:

I guess you should have told that to the Americans before they got a notorious  Taliban leader out of a Pakistani prison. That took them years to achieve.

There was plenty of things that went wrong with Afghanistan, and that may have been one of them, The biggest thing that went wrong was Canadians and the world lost interest in the Afghanistan conflict. no interest means funding is slowed way down, direct action is slowed down, diplomatic solutions are slowed down bring in the B,C, D, no the E team because it is not a priority.  Shit the entire Canadian portion of the conflict was taken out of DND budget, thats how important it became...additional funds where not transferred from other areas, it came out of DND budget for 13 years and it was our military that suffered for that.    

1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

Al-Qaida managed to mobilize a large portion of the US military into Afghanistan , as well as contributions from NATO, i have to ask does the US war machine do that if their is no threat... Lets not mention the Taliban kept allied forces busy for 13 plus years, and now has march back into Afghanistan....

Should the US mobilise its war machine? The so-called "military-industrial complex"?

All for good reason.

====

US soldiers deaths in Korea (1950s): 30,000

US soldiers deaths in Vietnam (1960s): 60,000

China adopts the American method to organize society (c. 1980)

US victory in the Cold War and defeat of the Soviet Union (1991)

====

US soldiers deaths in Afghanistan (2000s): 3,000

IMHO, to describe this as a "Western Defense against Islam" is nonsense.

As I argue, radical Islam is not a threat to the West unless we let it threaten us.

Edited by August1991
  • Like 1